Insurance advice - Lebanon

Boaby Ewing

Boaby Ewing

Any insurance brokers on here - I'm meant to be heading out to Lebanon later this week, but as it's currently on the list of places not recommended to travel to by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (except for essential travel), my usual travel insurance policy doesn't cover it (and it's not directly for work, so I'm not covered by them either).

Any advice on policies you can get - I'm not looking for evacuation/warzone cover or anything like that, merely the basic cover I would normally have for treatment if needed (couple of brokers I've spoken to have said that in theory I'd be covered for any accidents/illnesses not directly related to the recent violence out there... but no one will put that in writing... which doesn't put my mind at rest).

Cheers.

Bloody Hell Dave, South East Turkey last year, Lebanon this year.

Just keeping your head on your shoulders may be hard enough, never mind accident insurance.

I read your article from Turkey last year and thought it was very good.

You should have posted a link on here. ;)

Bloody Hell Dave, South East Turkey last year, Lebanon this year.

Just keeping your head on your shoulders may be hard enough, never mind accident insurance.

I read your article from Turkey last year and thought it was very good.

You should have posted a link on here. ;)

Couldnt send me some nice hash could you....

:P

Come on dave... tell us why your going.

If you do I'll give you the number of the people that insured me for my trip tomorrow.

chester copperpot
Any insurance brokers on here - I'm meant to be heading out to Lebanon later this week, but as it's currently on the list of places not recommended to travel to by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (except for essential travel), my usual travel insurance policy doesn't cover it (and it's not directly for work, so I'm not covered by them either).

Any advice on policies you can get - I'm not looking for evacuation/warzone cover or anything like that, merely the basic cover I would normally have for treatment if needed (couple of brokers I've spoken to have said that in theory I'd be covered for any accidents/illnesses not directly related to the recent violence out there... but no one will put that in writing... which doesn't put my mind at rest).

Cheers.

Dave, is it through work mate?

Stupid question mate I know, but if it is, the work will have you covered.

If not, it's going to cost you a princely sum. Just asked the missus who used to deal with travel insurance, and if its one thats against the British consul's advice, then you're looking at major money.

EDIT - Sorry mate, you answered my question in your OP.

alwaysthereinspirit

A wee toot of Red Leb and insurance will be the last thing you'll be thinking about.:confused:

Boaby Ewing

Apologies gents, that was a quick post just as I was heading out the door at 'work' having spent three hours chasing travel insurers.

Anyway, I 'think' I've found a group that will put in writing that you're only not covered for incidents directly stemming from the reason the FCO have recommended you don't go there... which is probably good enough for me.

Cheers.

I assume we're looking at life insurance and/or basic travel health insurance.

I assume this isn't a holiday! If you had cover in place before you found out that you need to go to Lebanon (i.e your usual travel insurance and life/CI if you have it), most insurers will honour any claim, with the exception of any claims arising that fall under the standard war/terrorism exclusions that are commonplace now.

For example, if you step on a landmine or got caught up in a bombing(extreme), you're on your own.

If anything else serious happens, most insurers wouldn't seek to get out of a legitimate claim using the war or geographical exclusions, so your medical expenses would be covered. Any claim wouldn't be settled quickly as this is the type of claim that is closely scrutinised.

As this is outside the strict policy rules, no insurer will agree to it in writing - the problem in this country at the moment is that a handful of reinsurers control the vast majority of insurers, so claims philosophy/stance doesn't tend to differ from company to company to the customer.

Any policy geographical restraints, certainly when dealing with medical claims, are less strictly enforced as long as good authentic claim evidence is available. In my experience this is likely to be less of a problem from Lebanon than it ifrequently is for claims arising during trips to Pakistan, India, and that region. Travel home (thinking medivac) might be an issue...that might be down to you or your family (almost always with the assistance of the FCO) to get you home.

Any settlement will be on an 'ex-gratia' basis (again assuming it is outside the policy rules).

Archived