Using Netflix abroad or accessing US version

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Been away on business all week, been using express vpn to re-watch House of Cards (which isnt on French Netflix) in anticipation of the new season tomorrow, log on tonight after a long days work and get an error message saying Netflix cant be viewed through proxies etc

Googled around and it seems they are clamping down on VPNs

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10858242/netflix-unblock-us-blocked-vpn-subsciber-pirates

:sob:

Anyone else been scuppered by this? Ive seen posts on here a few posters use vpn to watch US netflix etc

indianajones

I dont think it will be fully possible for them to fully block it. There will always be a way around it!

If not they risk losing heaps of subscribers. UK netflix is gash. 

There was a newsaper article, and a thread on here about this a few weeks ago that Netflix were going to go after proxies etc.  The opinion on here by quite a few was that it could not, would not and never will happen, it seems that the O.P. may be one of the first to encounter the new attitude of Netflix.

Spoke to someone today who had this problem, they were logged in on the UK region...changed it to Germany and it worked. Could be just a few regions being hit first.

I am registered with Netflix UK and have no problem accessing through a UK VPN.  

However, the problem I do have with iPad is that it registers your actual location which BT Sport (for example) use rather than your VPN location. If I swith off my location finder, BT Sport does not let me access.  My old laptop is fine as it does not have a location finder embedded.

I suspect that through time all programs will use the location finder to bypass the VPN address.

Rudolf's Mate

Amusing that Netflix CEO gave an interview about a year ago saying it was his plan to make Netflix region free with the same content available to all. Obviously this didn't go down well with the actual studios themselves.

Notorious BIG

Noticed that start of the week, I use Hola on the PC when watching netflix to get US tv shows and I cant access it now even with a successful US connection 

Archived