Upcoming Scotland Squad - Czech Rep & Denmark

Harvey Specter

Harvey Specter

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/10186453/gordon-strachan-ponders-surprises-in-scotland-squad

Gordon Strachan has hinted at a few 'surprise' call ups to the squad for the upcoming friendlies this month against Czech Republic and Denmark. When he refers to young players who have caught the eye and put themselves into contention this season, who do we think he means? Any Hearts players likely to be called up? 

Personally I think Callum Paterson is in with a great chance, providing his injury isn't as serious as first feared of course. Sam Nicholson has spoken this week about his desire to represent his country, could/should he be called up? Across the other side of the city, Jason Cummings and John McGinn may be in with a shout. Both players have 'caught the eye' this season albeit at a lower level and are regulars in the U21's.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/10186453/gordon-strachan-ponders-surprises-in-scotland-squad

Gordon Strachan has hinted at a few 'surprise' call ups to the squad for the upcoming friendlies this month against Czech Republic and Denmark. When he refers to young players who have caught the eye and put themselves into contention this season, who do we think he means? Any Hearts players likely to be called up? 

Personally I think Callum Paterson is in with a great chance, providing his injury isn't as serious as first feared of course. Sam Nicholson has spoken this week about his desire to represent his country, could/should he be called up? Across the other side of the city, Jason Cummings and John McGinn may be in with a shout. Both players have 'caught the eye' this season albeit at a lower level and are regulars in the U21's.

Cummings?

It will be interesting to see if any of the current U21s make the step up. Especially as the U21s have got two qualifiers coming up as well.

Harvey Specter

Cummings?

As I said, albeit at a lower level he's a player that over the last season and a bit has 'caught the eye' as Strachan put it. He's scored a lot of goals in that period and is perhaps in Strachan's thoughts? I'm not saying for a second he'll be called up and put straight into the starting line up, there's better Scottish strikers that can't get a game.

Hopefully McGhee so we can punt him for more money

What's the time in Australia?

As I said, albeit at a lower level he's a player that over the last season and a bit has 'caught the eye' as Strachan put it. He's scored a lot of goals in that period and is perhaps in Strachan's thoughts? I'm not saying for a second he'll be called up and put straight into the starting line up, there's better Scottish strikers that can't get a game.

Fair point.

Nicholson, Souttar and Paterson would interest me if I was Scotland manager

there are more friendlies in June so will be mix

Nicholson, nowhere near it at present, only one with half a chance would be Paterson but he's injured so we can't moan at no Hearts players being included.

manaliveits105

If he picks tier 2 players (hibs man efter aw likesy) - his days are numbered 

If he picks tier 2 players (hibs man efter aw likesy) - his days are numbered

picking Henderson, a Celtic player and McGinn a Celtic bound player is not quite the same though

alwaysthereinspirit

non Old Firm players based in Scotland getting into the squad is always a surprise

This. Celtic youngsters not in the Celtic first team are better than all other Scottish youngsters who do play first team football. They must be or they wouldn't be on Celtics books. Hate the Scottish national team and set up. Still in the dark ages.

According to another thread CP is out for 4-6 weeks. The Scotland games are in three weeks time. Why would wgs pick him?

According to another thread CP is out for 4-6 weeks. The Scotland games are in three weeks time. Why would wgs pick him?

Its been reported he's okay and might play tonight

not confirmed

Harvey Specter

And according to reports he may be available for tonight's match, hence why I said he could be in with a chance providing his injury isn't as bad as first feared.

Once again I hope none of our players are involved in that pi5h awful setup under Strapon.

Probably a long shot but how about the lad Kiltie from Kilmarnock? He's had a good season in a pish team.

Harvey Specter

Probably a long shot but how about the lad Kiltie from Kilmarnock? He's had a good season in a pish team.

They also have the lad Craig Slater whom I believe has had a decent season and has featured regularly for the U21's.

Cummings?

naw

b b but his recent form is super :toilet:

• 2 weeks later...
Harvey Specter

Squad announced - http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=16049

Scotland squad to face Czech Republic 

Goalkeepers
Scott Bain (Dundee)    
Allan McGregor (Hull City)    

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)    
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)    
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)    
Russell Martin (Norwich City)    
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)    
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)    
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)    

Midfielders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)    
Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)    
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)     
Kevin McDonald (Wolverhampton Wanderers)    
Kenny McLean (Aberdeen)
Matt Phillips (Queens Park Rangers)    
Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)    

Forwards    
Steven Fletcher (Olympique de Marseille*)    
Steven Naismith (Norwich City)    
Tony Watt (Blackburn Rovers**)

Scotland squad to face Denmark

Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)    
David Marshall (Cardiff City)    

Defenders
Ikechi Anya (Watford)    
Liam Cooper (Leeds United)    
Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion)    
Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers)    
Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic)    
Kieran Tierney (Celtic)
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)    

Midfielders
Liam Bridcutt (Leeds United*)    
Scott Brown (Celtic)    
Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest)    
James Forrest (Celtic)    
John McGinn (Hibernian)    
Jamie Murphy (Brighton and Hove Albion)    
Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth)    

Forwards    
Steven Fletcher (Olympique de Marseille*)    
Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)    
Chris Martin (Derby County)    

* On loan from Sunderland
** On loan from Charlton Athletic

When you see it like that, the state of the national team really is horrific. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Effectively two squads and neither of them include Rhodes but does include Fletcher. Remind me why the manager kept his job.

Surprised Walker and Ryan Jack haven't been included. Maybe even Souttar if we are trying players like Oliver Burke at Forest.

I really don't see the point in picking someone like Bridcutt though. His career seems to be on the way down.

Effectively two squads and neither of them include Rhodes but does include Fletcher. Remind me why the manager kept his job.

Correct.

Fletcher :cornette:

How the feck Souttar never made any of the 2 squads is a joke !!!! if no other Hearts players made it,then fine, but he definitely deserves to be included.

Malcolm Tucker

James Forrest and Chris Martin also continue to get called up.

I mean. Seriously.

Tony Watt.

We are going nowhere under Strachan. Strachan was going nowhere as a manager was basically in retirement and all the SFA has done has given him another payday for at least another two years to national teams detriment.

Malcolm Tucker

Tony Watt (TONY WATT) is quite hilarious. I can deal with that as a 'patter call-up'.

James Forrest being in another squad despite being howling for about 18 months now has actually made me angry.

jamboinglasgow

James Forrest and Chris Martin also continue to get called up.

I mean. Seriously.

Tony Watt.

I just dont see what Strachan sees in James Forrest, continues to pick him but I dont think he has done anything worthwhile for Scotland (he has 13 caps for goodness sake, how??) Chris Martin does some good for Derby but never for Scotland.

Tony Watt is rated in the Championship, but to be in the squad in front of Jordan Rhodes and Ross McCormack is mad.

Archived