Another stabbing in London

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I see that's another 15 year old girl stabbed to death in a lift yesterday.

16th teenager this year. Absolutely mental.

Has London always been like this and it is just getting more media coverage now or is this a new thing?

Seems as if teenagers view it as acceptable to settle arguments with a knife.

The more deaths there are the more regular it will keep occurring IMO. Not long before it comes to other cities such as Edinburgh as well I fear.

Feck knows how you stop this though.

Sexton Hardcastle

YEa but was it not a grown man that kileld the teenager? Usualyl its teenage gangs but im sure i heard the news say it was a 30 summin male who commited the attack? Could be wrong

hughesie27

There you go. You are all a bad influence on us youngsters. Sort it out or I'll chib yi.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23484511-details/Revealed:+100+stabbings+in+London+this+year/article.do

there have now been over 100 stabbings in london this year. i don't know how it compares with previous years though.

a bit of background to the stabbing that "sparked" the above article http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23484523-details/Man+killed+in+Oxford+St+was+on+bail+for+horrific+acid+rape/article.do

there IS a big thing being made about knives here just now. whether its become more of a problem, or its the same as in the past i don't know. it seems one of boris' first tasks to wage war on the knife

I's awl abaat respeck, innit?

I can't stand this mutated pidgin english that young Londoners seem to use these days.

I blame Tim Westwood.:mad:

grumpyjambo

Without a doubt every stabbing is a tragety, but does every stabbing 400 miles away have to be on UK news? Surely it is only local news.

I P Knightley
I can't stand this mutated pidgin english that young Londoners seem to use these days.

I blame Tim Westwood.:mad:

an' i' ain't jus' ve Lahndahnners wot spix it, laahhk. It's de wholovva caahn'ry innit.

I P Knightley
Without a doubt every stabbing is a tragety, but does every stabbing 400 miles away have to be on UK news? Surely it is only local news.

It's not 400 miles away.

Less than 15 for me.

an' i' ain't jus' ve Lahndahnners wot spix it, laahhk. It's de wholovva caahn'ry innit.

Hmmm....

Nurse, he's gone native. Quick, the sedative.....

i don't think most stabbings in london are reported uk wide are they?

the two referred to in this thread probably were, but most probably on their own merits on the shockfactor rather than where they happened

grumpyjambo
i don't think most stabbings in london are reported uk wide are they?

the two referred to in this thread probably were, but most probably on their own merits on the shockfactor rather than where they happened

My point is that because it is London it is deemed UK news, if there was a spate of stabbings in Edinburgh would it make UK news? No.

Sexton Hardcastle

Think its making national news due to the high numbers of stabbings. Esp among teenagers. All the gang culture and torries/labour can bring in curfews etc. Unless theres not much happening in the news at the moment?

I P Knightley
My point is that because it is London it is deemed UK news, if there was a spate of stabbings in Edinburgh would it make UK news? No.

Tool yourself up and try it.

I'd bet at least 50p that a spate of fatal teen stabbings in any part of the country, Edinburgh included, would make the BBC news.

The stuff that doesn't make the news is remarkable. Frinstance, on my last visit to A&E, my time in the waiting room was delayed due to them bringing in a gunshot victim. I've no idea whether he survived or not - it didn't make even the local newspaper.

Rawrrrrrrr

Does anyone know the ethnic breakdown within these figures

Whilst it does affect all ethnicities, it seems to me that watching the news gun and knife crime to the extent of death seems far more prevalent proportionatly in certain ethnic origins.

Do the figures back this? or is it not deemed PC to suggest this?

If this is true what do people think is behind the issueS?

maybe, maybe not.

the terrorist attack on glasgow airport was UK news.

if somoene was stabbed during a fight on princes street, and then someone returned afterwards to slit the victims throat i think that would be too.

i can see where you're coming from but unless there's something on the local news that you deem more worthy of being national news then whats the problem?

simple soloution: just watch the local news

Rawrrrrrrr
maybe, maybe not.

if somoene was stabbed during a fight on princes street, and then someone returned afterwards to slit the victims throat i think that would be too.

i can see where you're coming from but unless there's something on the local news that you deem more worthy of being national news then whats the problem?

Big stories make national news simple as, 15 stabbings in 6 months is major news, be it london or glasgow or orkney

The recent suicide spates in wales made the news

I bet we dont hear about every single stabbing down south, just the major ones and that will be reversed

I'm sure the 2 murders in glasgow merited a mention down south, likewise when there was 5 murders in one weekend in glasgow

Boaby Ewing

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd wager if it was happening in some honky town in middle England it would garner even more attention.

Poor, disproportionately black kids (though it's by no means only black kids) stabbing each other in the country's largest and most diverse city only becomes national news when the numbers get silly.

Two or three white-middle-class-on-white-middle-class kid stabbings in Chipping Norton would get national attention much quicker.

jamtartsandbees

blimy guvner and I thought dick van bleedin dyke was bad.

Does anyone know the ethnic breakdown within these figures

Whilst it does affect all ethnicities, it seems to me that watching the news gun and knife crime to the extent of death seems far more prevalent proportionatly in certain ethnic origins.

Do the figures back this? or is it not deemed PC to suggest this?

If this is true what do people think is behind the issueS?

i've got my own opinions on this but i'm reluctent to share them on a messageboard. vast majority of gun/knife crime is gang related though, that much is obvious.

you might find this interesting if you can be bothered reading it. its about the most informative thing i could find when i moved here. most of what you can find on the net on london gangs seems to be very evasive. http://gangsinlondon.piczo.com/towerhamlets?cr=2&linkvar=000044

i live in E1 in a new development on the edge of the ocean estate. you only really see evidence of gangs, not the gangs themselves. if you wanted to find them you could but you would have to be very stupid to stumble across them accidently

jamtartsandbees
Big stories make national news simple as, 15 stabbings in 6 months is major news, be it london or glasgow or orkney

The recent suicide spates in wales made the news

I bet we dont hear about every single stabbing down south, just the major ones and that will be reversed

I'm sure the 2 murders in glasgow merited a mention down south, likewise when there was 5 murders in one weekend in glasgow

True. my mum down on the south coast has just mentioned the Glasgow murders to me on the phone.

jamtartsandbees

i live in E1 in a new development on the edge of the ocean estate. you only really see evidence of gangs, not the gangs themselves. if you wanted to find them you could but you would have to be very stupid to stumble across them accidently

Take a fairly short walk to E8 or E9 and I don't think you will have much trouble finding them.

(mind you it was a few years ago when I lived there)

Take a fairly short walk to E8 or E9 and I don't think you will have much trouble finding them.

(mind you it was a few years ago when I lived there)

yeah, i believe there are places where they're in your face. thankfully not like that here. E9 bang bang gang! lol. my gf works in urban regeneration and has to hold workshops with youths in those areas. she had one day after the oxford st killing and everyone there knew who was all involved in it

jamtartsandbees

I used to live in Homerton about 10 years ago and it was bad then. To be honest I wouldn't even walk down my old street now.

ToadKiller Dog

There has always been stabbings in big cities ,i would imagine London would have been worse in the Victorian era if studies were done ,i think the difference compared with more recent history last 50 years is that more seem to end up as murder rather than just a slash.

but how does that murder rate compare with cities of the same size?.i Heard somewhere that Glasgow has the highest murder rate per head in western Europe.

It is national news i doubt the story as an individual case would have made it up here 20 years ago but we are in a different world from 20 years.

As a side the Dundee evening tele is running a city awash with heroin thing at the moment 17 junkies have died from overdose so far this year in a population 140,000,ok not the same as a stabbing as drugs is for the most part self inflicted but still alarming.

grumpyjambo
maybe, maybe not.

Yes the Glasgow incident was world news, and rightly so. These incidents in London are local incidents and I feel that they do not need to take up UK news time. There are lots of major issues that affect us every day and they do not get TV time. I just dont think that it is right for each of these incidents to be UK news.

• 10 years later...
The Real Maroonblood

It’s hard to believe that 18 people have been stabbed to death this year in London and we are only into March.

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s hard to believe that 18 people have been stabbed to death this year in London and we are only into March.

And that's just in London, add in the rest of the Country and the figures are truely horrific.

Another fatal stabbing in Greater Manchester last night and they said that 3 teens were killed over a two week period in Birmingham recently.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that's just in London, add in the rest of the Country and the figures are truely horrific.

Another fatal stabbing in Greater Manchester last night and they said that 3 teens were killed over a two week period in Birmingham recently.

Heart breaking stuff reading these statistics.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Jamboelite said:

Certainly doesnt help when we cut our police force and the punishment isnt severe enough.

Or a mayor down there who does nothing about it

Cut police by 20,000.

Close down youth centres, outreach programmes and after school clubs.

Act surprised when kids turn to gangs and violence.

John Findlay
55 minutes ago, Cade said:

Cut police by 20,000.

Close down youth centres, outreach programmes and after school clubs.

Act surprised when kids turn to gangs and violence.

Excuses excuses excuses.

Percy Sillitoe could sort this out.

We know what works and how to fix it but seem not to have the stomach for it.

The reasons for carrying knives are the same today as they always have been.

The method for eradicating this problem exists and has been used successfully in the past.

Liberal sentiment will not help in this case.

12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A few stabbings in Edinburgh too

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com

The girl that died from being stabbed in a London park over the weekend was truelly horrific! With her mates playing music when 2 black males with hoods up and scarves over face walked up and stabbed her in the back! 

This wasn’t the usual gang related murder, a white teenage lass murdered for nothing! Would hate to live down there. Scary stuff at the minute

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The girl that died from being stabbed in a London park over the weekend was truelly horrific! With her mates playing music when 2 black males with hoods up and scarves over face walked up and stabbed her in the back! 

This wasn’t the usual gang related murder, a white teenage lass murdered for nothing! Would hate to live down there. Scary stuff at the minute

Why is her race relevant? 

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Why is her race relevant? 

Racially motivated attack maybe?

Class motivated attack with class defined down racial lines?

If her race isn't relevant then neither is the fact she was female.

Ibrahim Tall
18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Excuses excuses excuses.

'Excuse' or reason?

If you remove a huge detterant to crime(in the form of 20,000 police) and also remove the few 'good' or 'safe' activities for youths to do it's hardly a surprise when they start turning to crime, anti-social behaviour and gangs. 

Understanding the cause of problems isnt making excuses for them.

Edited by Ibrahim Tall

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

'Excuse' or reason?

If you remove a huge detterant to crime(in the form of 20,000 police) and also remove the few 'good' or 'safe' activities for youths to do it's hardly a surprise when they start turning to crime, anti-social behaviour and gangs. 

Understanding the cause of problems isnt making excuses for them.

Heard it all before. When I was growing up in the 70s. There weren't enough police officers or youth clubs blah de blah. I grew up in West Pilton. Stab someone. Thought never entered my head. Why? Because I had a father who kept me on the straight and narrow. Not by beating the shit out of me but just letting me know what was acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. The meaning of personal responsibility. He was a single parent. 

On 03/06/2008 at 13:35, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Think its making national news due to the high numbers of stabbings. Esp among teenagers. All the gang culture and torries/labour can bring in curfews etc. Unless theres not much happening in the news at the moment?

And they're both white. Don't think  they'd be reporting it the same if it was "black on black" crime.

The politicians won't take the steps that have been proven to work up here. Engagement, prevention work with offenders and young people etc.

They'll steal cops from elsewhere to patrol the areas affected for a bit. Up stop and search for a bit. Lock the offenders up when caught and move on.

You just can't imagine your son or daughter going out with their pals and not coming home again. Horrendous for the families

Edited by Jamhammer

Spitonastranger
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Heard it all before. When I was growing up in the 70s. There weren't enough police officers or youth clubs blah de blah. I grew up in West Pilton. Stab someone. Thought never entered my head. Why? Because I had a father who kept me on the straight and narrow. Not by beating the shit out of me but just letting me know what was acceptable and unacceptable behaviour. The meaning of personal responsibility. He was a single parent. 

Aye there was no violence or murder when you were young.

Ibrahim Tall
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

?

Aye, there was no violence in the 70/80's right enough. 

There was no racism, no bigotry, no violence at football, no assaults, no murders and definitely stabbings(despite Glasgow virtually leading the world in that regard), no gangs, no heroin epidemics etc.

Everyone was well adjusted and peace loving.

His name is

Mind the Met were rail roaded into stopping their stop search tactic and had their numbers  dramatically cut

Surely just coincidence that there has been a rise in gangs, drugs and violence.  

On 03/06/2008 at 13:19, I P Knightley said:

U awite bruv???

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

U awite bruv???

A man of my advancing years shouldn't be asked to remember a post he wrote nearly 11 years ago. Took me ages to make sense of it - although I'm sure it was entirely understandable in context all those years ago.

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

A man of my advancing years shouldn't be asked to remember a post he wrote nearly 11 years ago. Took me ages to make sense of it - although I'm sure it was entirely understandable in context all those years ago.

A peebles moment, taking to the limit.

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Ach your as relevant now as you were back then ?