Using the Belgian set-up

Locky

Okay, so there's a lot of talk still about how Scottish football can be better and how to improve the league via reconstruction etc.

16 team league seems to be what we're heading for, and with another thread on the board talking about how to make the game more competitive, I thought about the Belgian Premier League model.

So, for starters there are 16 teams playing each other twice. After 30 games, places 1-6 go into a Championship play-off. Places 7-14 go in to a Europa League play-off, while 15th and 16th go in to a relegation play-off.

In the Championship play-off, the top 6 teams points tallies are halved and rounded up, this considerably cutting a deficit between 1st and 6th. They play each other twice with of course 1st taking the title and the rest qualifying for various stages of Europe depending on position.

In the Europa League play-off, teams 7-14 split into 2 groups of 4 and play each other twice, with the winner of the 2 groups playing over 2 legs and the subsequent winner of that then goes into the Europa League qualifying rounds. Points start from scratch in this stage.

The relegation group sees the bottom 2 sides points tallies start from 0 again, and they play 5 times. May seem a bit much but it ensures they play more or less the same amount of games as the rest of the league. The side with the worst record over 5 meetings is relegated while the 'winner' goes into a play-off with 3 teams from the 2nd tier.

Now in theory it sounds a bit complicated but looking over it, I quite like it. I get it works better for Belgium with their co-efficient being higher, but of course we're just speaking theoretically.

Belgium has been somewhat dominated by Anderlecht much the same way Scotland has, and will continue to be dominated by Celtic.

But, since this format has been brought in, there have been a lot more clubs winning titles, and it's not often clubs achieve it back to back.

August Landmesser

Sounds interesting. What do Belgian fans think of it? There's a Belgium-based Jambo on here, would be good to get their thoughts.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting. What do Belgian fans think of it? There's a Belgium-based Jambo on here, would be good to get their thoughts.

Would be interesting to hear the same. Although I imagine it's probably well received.

Meant to add, with the amount of games, clubs would need to work together to price games fairly. Wonder how the pricing structure works there.

I understand it keeps the league competitive until the end, but points being reset or halved would suck.

I do like the idea of playoffs for the lowest Europa League spot. 5th v 4th, then winner plays 3rd and that decides who enters. Team that finished second would enter the Europa League stages like they do right now, and the team that finished top enters the Champions League.

If our Europe coefficient goes up and we get more spots in Europe, then we could expand the Europa League playoffs to those finishing 7th.

August Landmesser

Wonder how the pricing structure works there.[/quote

It's probably quite sensible. ?5 in and two free beers brought to your seat. [emoji22]

Archived