Touring America

Phil Dunphy

So Kickback, I'm once again looking for some advice regarding travel.

I've decided that, at 29, I've seen a poor amount of the world and would like to start by spending some time across the pond and seeing more of the USA. Has anyone on here done it before? What route did you take? How much money did you need in the end?

I have a rough idea of how to plan ahead with it, I know it's not something I'll be able to do short term and it'll cost a fortune to do it but I imagine it'll be definitely worth it too.

Anyone have any sage advice?

We did a Wonders of the Golden West Tour a couple of years ago. LA, Vegas and San Fransisco with lots of wee places inbetween. Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, Yosemite, Santa Barbara etc. On a bus, cheap hotels. Was superb. Gonna do a similar one for New Orleans, Nashville and Memphis at some point

I've decided that, at 29, I've seen a poor amount of the world and would like to start by spending some time across the pond and seeing more of the USA. Has anyone on here done it before? What route did you take? How much money did you need in the end?

I have a rough idea of how to plan ahead with it, I know it's not something I'll be able to do short term and it'll cost a fortune to do it but I imagine it'll be definitely worth it too.

Do it before Trump gets elected.    :facepalm:

Why?  

He'll get to see the Great Famous Wall Of Mexico, if he leaves it two or three decades (or possibly centuries).

f.t.f.y.  Mexico's got to pay for it, remember...

I've been assured by a couple of Americans at work that Trump won't be elected.

:thumbsup:

Might take more than a couple to stop him, but hope t.f. they're right!

Read Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon. 

Can't really help you with the routes because I've never done a cross country trip but I've heard Route 66 is shite!

If you're looking to stay in cheap hotels/motels there are usually quite a few chains in the same spot so try and play them off against each other to drive the price down - ask if there's a last minute walk up rate/if they can do a discount/check online vs phone bookings/try and get them to chuck in food 7 sodas etc. Negotiate!

Airbnb for bigger cities is a good shout as well.

Gas prices seem to vary quite a lot - try and avoid the big companies. Pilot is always pretty cheap.

If you're hiring a car it's a lot cheaper to book from the UK - well, in my experience.

Depends what you want and how much you are willing to pay. Personally I love the West. Especially the wide open spaces. Been to California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and Montana and all good. If you can, and are serious about it, hire a car and take it slow; every day will be an adventure. North American Travel Service in Multrees Walk are very helpful.

I did it for almost a year.

One problem is that you are only allowed a 90 day visa so you have to leave the country and re-enter. I did that via Vancouver which was amazing and the Northern states if Mexico which were seriously shit and dangerous.

We free loaded from my girlfriend at the time's family and friends which saved us a fortune. It would have been crazy expensive otherwise.

Decide where you want to go and what you want to see, and seriously consider flying some of the way. Driving all over the place sounds interesting and exciting, but involves days of little more than tedious highways.

Just drove from LA to San Jose today. Nightmare journey that took 9 hours.

I've done it before, and it is one of the most spectacular drives you can do. But today, I just wanted to get from a to b without using I-5. The LA Marathon didn't help today as it closed the Santa Monica area, and although the 101 was running free through to Santa Barbara, I then got caught up in the weekend 'wine tourist' traffic and then again, at Monterey when the AT&T golf finished at Pebble Beach.

The PCH really needs time to enjoy it fully with a stop over in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara.

Route 66 is hit and miss. I've driven about 200 miles from Chicago to St Louis and there are only a few sections of the old road still open. A better section is from Texas through Albuquerque and then Arizona. The final section in California is just freeway.

If you like your music, a trip to Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale and New Orleans is a good bet.

Best beach holidays are Southern Florida, or Southern California. Golf in Arizona or South Carolina is some of the best available.

I love the country and have racked up 43 states so far. Will definitely try to visit the remaining 7 very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna do a similar one for New Orleans, Nashville and Memphis at some point

Did this last Summer (minus Nashville).  Started in Atlanta then to Memphis and on to New Orleans via Highway 61, amazing experience but just never had long enough and would do it again.  Tons to do if you are into music history and plenty of attractions/quirky places on the way.  

With regards to the original poster - if you are hiring a car check if the rental agreement allows you to take out of state and if so if there are named states you can go to.  Not that the companies can stop you doing it, but it could help avoid a potential bit of bother if an overly keen copper stops you in another state.  Last time I checked Hertz had no rules about this, Enterprise's T&Cs stated no car of theirs should be taken out the state of hire

Just drove from LA to San Jose today. Nightmare journey that took 9 hours.

I've done it before, and it is one of the most spectacular drives you can do. But today, I just wanted to get from a to b without using I-5. The LA Marathon didn't help today as it closed the Santa Monica area, and although the 101 was running free through to Santa Barbara, I then got caught up in the weekend 'wine tourist' traffic and then again, at Monterey when the AT&T golf finished at Pebble Beach.

The PCH really needs time to enjoy it fully with a stop over in San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara.

Route 66 is hit and miss. I've driven about 200 miles from Chicago to St Louis and there are only a few sections of the old road still open. A better section is from Texas through Albuquerque and then Arizona. The final section in California is just freeway.

If you like your music, a trip to Nashville, Memphis, Clarksdale and New Orleans is a good bet.

Best beach holidays are Southern Florida, or Southern California. Golf in Arizona or South Carolina is some of the best available.

I love the country and have racked up 43 states so far. Will definitely try to visit the remaining 7 very soon.

9 hours from LA to San Jose..?...feck

I was just looking at routes / times and it looked around 5-6,  we may be doing a road trip for work sometime this year.....start in San Francisco then to San Jose, then down to LA....3 calls in LA then over to Vegas and home from there

What do you want to see?

I've lived here my entire 39 years and there's still giant chunks of it I haven't seen that I'd like to.  Do you want beaches? Nightlife? Mountains? Urban culture? Small towns? Resorts? Nobody around for miles and miles?

The larger an area you pick, the more time you're going to spend driving around.  Here's a list of trips that could each be managed in a week:

Washington, Philadelphia, and Baltimore

New York City and Boston (each can hold up a week. IMO Boston sucks but many disagree.)

Chicago (could add Milwaukee but Chicago can hold its own)

North Carolina mountains

South Florida and Key West

New Orleans and a bit of the Mississippi delta or Florida panhandle

San Francisco Bay area and the redwoods (could probably add wine country in here too)

San Francisco and Yosemite valley

Tampa Bay area and some time at the beach

Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks

Glacier National Park

Los Angeles and San Diego (LA could take a whole week itself but you could quick-hit it and get a bit of San Diego too)

Memphis, Nashville, and maybe a bit of the mountains

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Savannah and Charleston

Kentucky horse and bourbon country

Lots and lots of other "off the beaten path" places to go too, of course, but maybe that gives some sense of scale.  Also, be advised that the only part of the country where rail travel can be relied upon to not be slow and infrequent is the northeastern corridor (Boston to Washington along the coast).  Beyond that, it either doesn't run or runs only a couple of times a day with lots of delays.  Almost anywhere else, be prepared to rent a car if you want to get anywhere.

9 hours from LA to San Jose..?...feck

I was just looking at routes / times and it looked around 5-6,  we may be doing a road trip for work sometime this year.....start in San Francisco then to San Jose, then down to LA....3 calls in LA then over to Vegas and home from there

To be fair, it was a holiday weekend, and with record temps, and I did stop in Santa Barbara for lunch :toff: . It should take 6 hours on a good day, but the US highways can be a nightmare as most drivers have no concept of an overtaking lane. 

San Francisco to San Jose should only take about 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours at worst if you hit the 101 in the morning.

alwaysthereinspirit

To be fair, it was a holiday weekend, and with record temps, and I did stop in Santa Barbara for lunch :toff: . It should take 6 hours on a good day, but the US highways can be a nightmare as most drivers have no concept of an overtaking lane. 

San Francisco to San Jose should only take about 90 minutes, maybe 2 hours at worst if you hit the 101 in the morning.

I live in Boston. If I can get by you on either side its an overtaking lane.

Ugly American has a lot of good suggestions - a lot of obvious ones but some less so , which I've been to and would def recommend.

You need to figure out where you want to go - just driving around Cal/Nevada/Arizona covers huge distances.

Are you gonna drive - I don't think there's any other option in  which case you're gonna be using motels (hotels in the US don't come cheap and for a single traveller it's bloody expensive). Motels are dirt cheap but you get what you pay for. Pick up mags at service stations for the latest local bargains (done this in Cal & Florida).  It's a very cheap way of getting accommodation.

If going by car , use a big chain ( my personal choice is Avis ) never had a problem after several raod trips and book in the UK beforehand - much cheaper. The longer the rental the cheaper it is .

Personally , forget route 66. It's huge , I've driven parts of it and it's actually quite depressing (but a good way to see what small town America used to be).  A mate of mine nearly got a divorce after taking his missus on a R66 trip - she thought oi was a waste of time and another mate started but never finished. It's so long.

My top choices , if i had the money and the opportunity again - NY and then fly down to San Francisco and drive to Yosemite, Vegas, Arizona/Williams for the Grand Canyon/Route 66. If you can look at Utah & Monument Valley - I never got there but I wish I had.

I live in Boston. If I can get by you on either side its an overtaking lane.

Not when there are mini-vans and trucks, side by side, for 10 miles. 

Try trekamerica mate or if u want to do it solo.. rent a camper from escape campervans.. cant recommend them highly enough, hired one for 45 days and toured the west coast.

alwaysthereinspirit

Not when there are mini-vans and trucks, side by side, for 10 miles. 

Stupid mini vans.

I always come up against this in Pennsylvania for some reason. Usually hilly 2 lane roads. Bar stewards.

Kalamazoo Jambo

I'd recommend going West for a road trip. You could still hit several big cities such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco in between some amazing scenery - deserts, mountains, lakes, canyons and supervolcanoes...

Some of my favourite places (all National Parks) are...

The Grand Canyon

Yosemite

Bryce Canyon

Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone

Distances are huge by British standards, of course...

Bridge of Djoum

I did it for almost a year.

One problem is that you are only allowed a 90 day visa so you have to leave the country and re-enter. I did that via Vancouver which was amazing and the Northern states if Mexico which were seriously shit and dangerous.

We free loaded from my girlfriend at the time's family and friends which saved us a fortune. It would have been crazy expensive otherwise.

Border Control do not like it when you do this.

Before I moved to the States, I spent 3 months here, then went home to Edinburgh, before returning 3 days later to NY. I was held at secondary security and questioned for 7, yep, seven hours before being let go. I hadn't broken any laws as such, but apparently my actions were severely ''frowned upon''. This was in 2009. The same thing happened to a friend who lives in Michigan only 2 years ago.

For cheaper accommodations, if you're in the national parks or in rural areas camping is a great way to save money.  Campgrounds aren't as prevalent as they once were, but there's still lots of them, and while the ones at the national parks are a bit more expensive they're really well maintained.

Kalamazoo's recommendation of the West is a good one.  There's some wonderful thinks to see in the northeast, but it won't look *too* shockingly different than Europe.  The American West, on the other hand, will look like nothing you've ever seen before.  I'd add New Mexico to his list, but as he said, you're basically driving around a territory nearly the size of the EU with a population just slightly larger than the UK.  (Truism someone told me once -- the difference between the US and the UK is that in the US 100 years is a long time, and in the UK 100 miles is a long way.)  Honestly, if you've got any kind of friend or acquaintance whom you can convince to do the western road trip with you, do so, because you can save money on hotel rooms and take shifts driving.

If you want to hit the cities, hosteling isn't as big here as it is in Europe but they do exist.  If Lonely Planet hasn't been completely killed off by the internet, their guides are my favorite budget guides, for US or Europe.  I also know a lot of folks that travel on AirBNB -- have never booked it myself though.  

If you can't convince a friend to join you and want to keep the budget low, I'd say you should be able to get a pretty cheap direct flight to Chicago.  Go in early June catch a baseball game, eat some Chicago deep dish pizza and the wonderfully bizarre thing that is a Chicago hot dog, wander down around the lakeside, ride the El around, go see some museums, stay out and get drunk in some bars, flirt with women who will be intrigued by your Scottish accent (no seriously this happens I've seen it), stay in a cheap hotel or a hostel, save money by not renting a car, go home.  Not a bad trip at all.

If you end up wanting to do anywhere around the Atlantic southeast (the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia, Maryland, or DC) I can give you more detailed information than you ever want to hear, but I won't bore everyone with it right now.  Some fantastic things to see here, but if you haven't been to the US before get the "bucket list" items out of the way first.

I'll second the west, and sw in particular; four corners area if you're into big skies and desert scenery.  Won't be cheap, and you'll be bored a lot of the time driving through endless miles of the same (and that comes from someone who's done a lot of such driving and is generally happy in such situations) but if you hit the right places there will be moments you'll never ever forget.  I'd go off-season too - Feb-Apr.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've been here 9 years and while I'm not as traveled as Hugh Phamism I've been to 37 states, mainly for work. I'd avoid driving anywhere in the Midwest, it's dull as hell, I've driven to Des Moines from Minneapolis, from here to North Dakota and to Omaha from St Louis via Kansas City, terminable.

I'd agree with the recommendation of driving the west coast, San Diego to San Fran is great if you stay off the freeway. I mostly fly but driving from Boston to DC was fun in its unique way as well as driving round rural Maryland. We are doing a road trip from Minneapolis to Montana and then back through Wyoming and South Dakota this June which I'm looking forward to.

As crazy as it sounds, how about going from San Diego to Anchorage?

I've been here 9 years and while I'm not as traveled as Hugh Phamism I've been to 37 states, mainly for work. I'd avoid driving anywhere in the Midwest, it's dull as hell, I've driven to Des Moines from Minneapolis, from here to North Dakota and to Omaha from St Louis via Kansas City, terminable.

Indeed. I drove from Minneapolis to Iowa City and it was just miles of field, field, field, grain silo, field, field, etc.

Iowa City to St Louis was a bit better as you cross cross the Mississippi.

A decent rental car can cut the tedium though. Get some American muscle and let rip.

Border Control do not like it when you do this.

Before I moved to the States, I spent 3 months here, then went home to Edinburgh, before returning 3 days later to NY. I was held at secondary security and questioned for 7, yep, seven hours before being let go. I hadn't broken any laws as such, but apparently my actions were severely ''frowned upon''. This was in 2009. The same thing happened to a friend who lives in Michigan only 2 years ago.

It was 2004 that i did it but i got away with 3 times and then told to wrap it or my passport would be excluded for 7 years.

That was that.

Yup. I travel to the U.S. Up to 10 times a year and I was 'advised' to get a visa. I now have a B1 so can come and go as I please. :smug

It was 2004 that i did it but i got away with 3 times and then told to wrap it or my passport would be excluded for 7 years.

That was that.

You also can't do it to Canada or Mexico anymore. Have to go further afield.

What do you want to see?

I've lived here my entire 39 years and there's still giant chunks of it I haven't seen that I'd like to. Do you want beaches? Nightlife? Mountains? Urban culture? Small towns? Resorts? Nobody around for miles and miles?

The larger an area you pick, the more time you're going to spend driving around. Here's a list of trips that could each be managed in a week:

Washington, Philadelphia, and Baltimore

New York City and Boston (each can hold up a week. IMO Boston sucks but many disagree.)

Chicago (could add Milwaukee but Chicago can hold its own)

North Carolina mountains

South Florida and Key West

New Orleans and a bit of the Mississippi delta or Florida panhandle

San Francisco Bay area and the redwoods (could probably add wine country in here too)

San Francisco and Yosemite valley

Tampa Bay area and some time at the beach

Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks

Glacier National Park

Los Angeles and San Diego (LA could take a whole week itself but you could quick-hit it and get a bit of San Diego too)

Memphis, Nashville, and maybe a bit of the mountains

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Savannah and Charleston

Kentucky horse and bourbon country

Lots and lots of other "off the beaten path" places to go too, of course, but maybe that gives some sense of scale. Also, be advised that the only part of the country where rail travel can be relied upon to not be slow and infrequent is the northeastern corridor (Boston to Washington along the coast). Beyond that, it either doesn't run or runs only a couple of times a day with lots of delays. Almost anywhere else, be prepared to rent a car if you want to get anywhere.

I was thinking of doing Chicago and Milwaukee at one point and noticed Green Bay isn't far from Milwaukee, is it worth a visit do you know?

We had a family wedding in North Carolina so we got a couple of houses by the beach in Emerald Isle on the outer banks. People there were brilliant ans on confessed we were the first people he had ever spoken to who was not from either North or South Carolina. We moved on to Newberne ( pronounced like Newburn apparently) which is where Pepsi was first made. We then drove to Tennessee and spent some time in and around Dollywood which was truly blizzard. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are like Blackpool in the middle of the Smokey Mountains National Park. We broke the journey at Winston Salem which was 8 hours from Newberne and about the same to Dollywood. Chicago was brilliant as well.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

We're thinking of doing the same... we'll have maybe 2 weeks in the US for a road trip, starting point will likely be LA but somehow ending up in NYC for the US Open Tennis. Every route we look at ends up spending too much time driving. And the car hire companies charge a premium for not returning the car to the same location. It's getting the right combo of nature, road trippin and famous cities that is proving tough to decide!

We're thinking of doing the same... we'll have maybe 2 weeks in the US for a road trip, starting point will likely be LA but somehow ending up in NYC for the US Open Tennis. Every route we look at ends up spending too much time driving. And the car hire companies charge a premium for not returning the car to the same location. It's getting the right combo of nature, road trippin and famous cities that is proving tough to decide!

If you want to see both the west coast and east coast during a two week trip, you need to include flights in your plan. Driving is a massive waste of time.

If you want to see both the west coast and east coast during a two week trip, you need to include flights in your plan. Driving is a massive waste of time.

We will do that, it's just choosing which airport to drop the car off at and take the hit on the premium. Doing a backwards C shape loop leaving from LA and ending up in San Fran seemed to be a bit cheaper probably because it's in the same state.

We will do that, it's just choosing which airport to drop the car off at and take the hit on the premium. Doing a backwards C shape loop leaving from LA and ending up in San Fran seemed to be a bit cheaper probably because it's in the same state.

Makes sense staying within state for the car hire.  Fly in to LAX; couple of days locally hanging out/people watching at Venice & Santa Monica; maybe a trip up to the Boulevard (I don't think there's really that much to see in LA).  High tail it to Vegas (~6 hrs).  Night on strip, night on old Vegas/Fremont.  Drive out to Hoover Dam/Lake Mead - day trip.  Maybe onto Grand Canyon area but you'll need another two days to see canyon and get yourself back to Vegas (you're now up to a week).  Through Death Valley from Vegas and onto Yosemite, where you'll want a day, then onto San Francisco.  Three nights in SF - obvious ones like Alcatraz will need pre-booking if you just want to do the rock, but you may be able to get on on the day if you take the Angel Island/Alcatraz combo; Castro is an interesting area; Haight-Ashbury is nearby.  Great city.  That'll basically take you to a fortnight but you'll be falling asleep at the tennis if you're not used to that sort of driving/schedule.

I planned Route 66 myself last year from Chicago to LA via Vegas, then up the Big Sur to San Francisco. We took 3 weeks

If you have 2 weeks and want to do a lot of West Coast then this is what I'd do.

Fly to San Francisco. Spend 3 days there.

Pick up hire car and head to LA down the Big Sur (incredible drive). Stop for a night somewhere like Morro Bay.

Arrive in LA for 2 nights. I found there to be not a lot to do in the City so would stop at some beaches before 

Drive to Vegas in 1 day. Stay 4 nights in Vegas. Take a day trip to Grand Canyon.

Fly to New York from Vegas. Spend 4 nights before flying home.

I have travelled quite a bit in the States. Enjoyed New York City, and Washington D.C. Was not at all impressed with New Orleans.

Love the western states, have pretty well done them all. Montana miles and miles of country, but thats it, same to an extent for the Dakotas, Wyoming, Idaho. Get into Arizona fantastic, same for New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California,Texas.  All beautiful, and all offer something different, I have pretty well completed my bucket list of things I specifically wanted to see in the United States. , Little Big Horn, The Alamo, Vegas, Grand Canyon, California Coast. In the east I saw the sights of New York, In Virginia I visited a number of Civil War battlegounds, and the various D.C. buildings and Memorials, including a visit to the White House which a friend got me that Senators can arrange for a little bit more comprehensive tour of the White House. I honestly wonder if one could see all that the United States offers in a life time, it just seems when you feel you have done it all someone comes up with another destination.

Bridge of Djoum

That was that.

They are twitchy over here.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Pick up hire car and head to LA down the Big Sur (incredible drive). Stop for a night somewhere like Morro Bay.

Instead of Morro Bay I'd suggest San Luis Obispo.Right next to it, but It's bigger and has more options to stay, it's also a student town, so decent (or as decent as a small town will be) nightlife. San Simeon is close, too, & Hearst Castle is worth a tour, if you have time.

I was thinking of doing Chicago and Milwaukee at one point and noticed Green Bay isn't far from Milwaukee, is it worth a visit do you know?

Never been myself -- my impression is that it's basically a shipping center with Lambeau Field in the middle of it and not much else, but I could be wrong.  I'd say see more of the natural areas of Wisconsin than doing Green Bay.

I went to college in Minnesota, and it's difficult to emphasize just how boring the vast majority of the midwest is for driving through.

Absolutely -- the big cross-country road trip is a thing that Americans do once or twice in a lifetime, and there are things to stop and do on the way, but you want to give at LEAST a week over to doing just that, otherwise you'll spend a huge amount of money on gas and hotels that could have just been a flight.

It's a bit like saying you want to see Belgium and Iran and feel like a nice drive between them.

Kalamazoo Jambo

Maybe onto Grand Canyon area but you'll need another two days to see canyon and get yourself back to Vegas (you're now up to a week).  Through Death Valley from Vegas and onto Yosemite, where you'll want a day

Sorry, but a day is not nearly enough to see Yosemite. Would suggest absolute minimum two full days in Yosemite, excluding travel time - and it would be easy to spend a week and not get bored. There's so much more to see than just Yosemite Valley (which itself can take days to explore fully). I know people who are gutted that they didn't spend more time there after scheduling just a day. Having said that, time of year is also really important in terms of getting the most out of Yosemite. Go prior to May/June and very little will be accessible due to snow; go in the summer and by all accounts the place is horribly overcrowded. The Fall is a nice time to go but the waterfalls will have nearly dried up. So best time to go is probably June, IMO.

On the Grand Canyon, this is also deserving of a decent amount of time (ideally two full days). Also, the main area for tourists is the National Park, South Rim of the canyon. The glass bottomed 'Skywalk' is several hours drive away from the park. I've not been to the Skywalk but you really want to see the National Park if you have to choose between the two. I've seen people turn up at the South Rim and think they've made it to the Skywalk (oops). Also - try not to die from dehydration.

Sorry, but a day is not nearly enough to see Yosemite. Would suggest absolute minimum two full days in Yosemite, excluding travel time - and it would be easy to spend a week and not get bored. There's so much more to see than just Yosemite Valley (which itself can take days to explore fully). I know people who are gutted that they didn't spend more time there after scheduling just a day. Having said that, time of year is also really important in terms of getting the most out of Yosemite. Go prior to May/June and very little will be accessible due to snow; go in the summer and by all accounts the place is horribly overcrowded. The Fall is a nice time to go but the waterfalls will have nearly dried up. So best time to go is probably June, IMO.

On the Grand Canyon, this is also deserving of a decent amount of time (ideally two full days). Also, the main area for tourists is the National Park, South Rim of the canyon. The glass bottomed 'Skywalk' is several hours drive away from the park. I've not been to the Skywalk but you really want to see the National Park if you have to choose between the two. I've seen people turn up at the South Rim and think they've made it to the Skywalk (oops). Also - try not to die from dehydration.

Ohh, you're right but in the scheme of the schedule I was laying out, it's realistic.  If it came down to losing a day in SF and taking an extra day in Yosemite, I wouldn't be sacrificing the former, but then that's just me.  Unless you're going hiking, you'll easily manage one of the falls walks, a walk out o overlook half dome and a gander up at el capitan.  Think we were there in July - was busy but not impossibly so.

Taking shelter in the 'shed' - the weather isn't very favourable on the terraces right now...?

SF and Yosemite is a decent shout. We did a circular tour from SF taking in the wine country, Yosemite, Sequoia and then back to the Pacific coast and back via San Simeon, Big Sur and Carmel on the Pacific Highway One. 4 days each in SF and Yosemite, less in the other places. Enjoyed all of it but maybe not as much as some of the other tours we've done (details on request). We took it leisurely over 3 weeks which allowed plenty time for exploring and sightseeing.

Only regret is we went in the autumn and there was no water in the falls at Yosemite. Springtime would be better but very busy there at any time.

Ohh, you're right but in the scheme of the schedule I was laying out, it's realistic.  If it came down to losing a day in SF and taking an extra day in Yosemite, I wouldn't be sacrificing the former, but then that's just me.  Unless you're going hiking, you'll easily manage one of the falls walks, a walk out o overlook half dome and a gander up at el capitan.  Think we were there in July - was busy but not impossibly so.

I'm in the minority but I happen to think San Francisco is horribly overrated.  The bay area in general is gorgeous and the Muir Woods just across the Golden Gate are amazing but the main things I got out of SF itself was some very good Chinese food and some decent views.

If I had to pick a day between Yosemite and San Francisco I'd spend the entire time in Yosemite.

I'm in the minority but I happen to think San Francisco is horribly overrated.  The bay area in general is gorgeous and the Muir Woods just across the Golden Gate are amazing but the main things I got out of SF itself was some very good Chinese food and some decent views.

If I had to pick a day between Yosemite and San Francisco I'd spend the entire time in Yosemite.

Each to their own I guess, and that's the impossibility of these threads; impossible for the OP to convey their tastes/wants/expectations specifically.  At least we all offer differing opinions - probably makes their decision even more difficult.  :D

I live in a somewhat mental outdoors environment all year round - I certainly appreciate areas like Yosemite but for me I get more of a kick out of cities and people watching, well certainly when I'm on vacation anyway.  As far as cities gothough, SF has a lot to offer imo.

If you are going to SF and heading to Napa for the day go to Yountville for lunch. Amazing. http://www.bistrojeanty.com

Sausalito is also a great place to have a wander and get something to eat.

Good shout. A great alternative in St Helena, Napa Valley is the V Sattui winery. Has a fantastic deli and you buy your food and wine (the Gamay Rouge is legendary) and just relax in the picturesque picnic garden.

https://www.vsattui.com/Visit-Us/Marketplace-Deli--Gift-Shop

Archived