Berra..............Wolves Offer 2 Million?

suds66

Ray Winstone

4.5 million pounds taken if the deal goes through, including Bednar's fee.

Wonder how much the new manager will get to spend? 500k?

Guest JamboRobbo

Exactly the sort of situation where we could really do with a manager to assess whether Christophe is going to be a cornerstone for HMFC going forward (in which case we hold out for silly money or refuse to sell) , or whether he is expendable (in which case we have to be looking to take the best offer we can get)

Unfortunately, I don't believe we have anyone at the club capable of making an accurate assessment of that right now. I'm sure Korabotchup and Vlad will take a guess though.

It shouldn't be a purely financial decision just yet, at 2M quid it should still be a football decision, as this is the sort of price bracket of player we need to be looking at having in the HMFC team (unless we've changed our aims from those previously stated of trying to challenge the OF).

Exactly the sort of situation where we could really do with a manager to assess whether Christophe is going to be a cornerstone for HMFC going forward (in which case we hold out for silly money or refuse to sell) , or whether he is expendable (in which case we have to be looking to take the best offer we can get)

Unfortunately, I don't believe we have anyone at the club capable of making an accurate assessment of that right now.

It shouldn't be a purely financial decision just yet, at 2M quid it should still be a football decision, as this is the sort of price bracket of player we need to be looking at having in the HMFC team (unless we've changed our aims from those previously stated of trying to challenge the OF).

Going by the season just ended I'd say our aims may have decreased somewhat rapidly.....shame the debt's gone the opposite way!!

rudi must stay

it doesn't matter if he's expendable or not, they will just come in and put in a bigger bid. It looks like he'll go imo :mad:

Sheriff Fatman

Make your mind up, either we have players in the ?2 million price bracket or we reduce our wage bill to help reduce our ridiculous debt. We can't do both.

Right now I believe we need players like Berra.

I thought he was very good for us last season.

This type of decision can wait for the new manager.

However ?2m is tempting.....

I don't think ?2m would be quite enough to tempt Vlad to sell, ?2.5-3m and he'd be gone though.

IMO the only thing that is relevant to Vlad is the price tag,I don't think it really makes any difference to Hearts as a football team what money we get,I just don't think it will be reinvested back into the footballing side of the club.

Gimme an H...

Whatever anyone on here thinks of Christophe Berra, yes ? he ain?t a captain yet, and he?s not yet the finished article, but he IS one of the best defenders in Scotland. He?s young, Scottish, just got his first of many caps, he?s fast, strong, wins everything in the air and a great tackler. Things like reading of the game etc will come with experience. If we sell him for ?1.5million its an even worse deal than the one we got for Velicka.

For the potential alone we should be looking for ?1.5million, add to that whatever teams value for the strong points mentioned above and you?re halfway there.

I?d say absolute MINIMUM ?2.5million. Even then I?d be quite disappointed.

flecktimus

Vlad will sell. Good luck Berra

Loved the last paragraph

After failing to tempt Motherwell manager Mark McGhee to Gorgie and being given a cool reception from Dundee United?s Craig Levein, who quit Tynecastle as Romanov was taking over, the Russian banker may now look again towards his homeland or Lithuania for the club?s next boss.:eek:

We should look at squeezing a bit more out of Wolves but i would'nt be adverse to selling him. He's decent but he has limitiations and with the youngsters and a bit of cash to spend we could see the better side of the deal.

Deal.

Would be no great loss to the team* and ?2m for an average player.........thank you very much.

*The same goes for the rest of the squad TBH.

Guest JamboRobbo
Make your mind up, either we have players in the ?2 million price bracket or we reduce our wage bill to help reduce our ridiculous debt. We can't do both.

I agree we can't do both. It wasn't me that said we could do both, it was Vlad. He said we could have a 10M per year wage bill, we'd clear the debt by the end of the year, and we'd challenge the OF and get it in the CL.

If he now wants to reduce the wage bill, fine. That would seem sensible to me, as our current wages are unsustainable.

So long as he appoints a manager, we could reduce our wage bill from 12.49M to 3M, and still have 50% more money to offer players than the other non-OF SPL teams (2M wage bill is the norm outside OF according to Levein in press recently).

So we appoint a manager, save ourselves 9M a year on wages, and should still expect to get 3rd. Seems simple.

alwaysthereinspirit
4.5 million pounds taken if the deal goes through, including Bednar's fee.

Wonder how much the new manager will get to spend? 500k?

500,000? No way Mad spends 500,000 on a Lithuanian.

It really depends on what is happening to these transfer fees. ?2 million for Berra seems decent money but is it actually going to paying off our debts or are the fans losing the better players and still finding we are a financial shambles. Shafted both ways ??

Hans von Luck

?2m for Bambi, bite their hand off.

A decent player is Berra in my opinion, nothing else,he could be replaced for a quarter of that ammount.

Gentlemen start your engines.

Seen from the perspective of a middle of the table SPL side ?2m sounds not bad at all.

But EPL and Championship sides regard this as small change. I think we should be testing Wolve's resolve !

We have never sold a player for a good price under Vlad and replaced him with anything near the level sold.

Driver not as good as Rudi

Banks not as good as Gordon

No-one as effective in midfield as Hartley

A lot of people on this thread still appear to believe that selling players benefits Hearts the club in some way.

If we want to remain a bottom six team with no footballing aspiration, we should sell all players as soon as a decent offer comes in. So if we are in this camp we should sell

If we want to at least look as if we are trying to challenge for something other than getting into the top six, then we should at least wait until a new manager comes in to assess whether or not we should keep our club captain.

If Berra goes we need 2 CBs for the first team IMO, and I wouldnt be confident we'd even get one.

But it all depends on aspirations

Why are people believing what they read in the Express?

Look back at last weeks articles on Mark McGhee and then you may have a better understanding of the calibre of the hacks that work there.

Having said that. Berra always strikes me as a bit of a carthorse and always seems too quick to blame team mates when a mistake has been made. Not really captain material and not really worth ?2 million.

Flog 'im I say!

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's in the Daily Express with no supporting quotes?

When's the press conference at Moulineux? :rolleyes:

Ray Winstone
We have never sold a player for a good price under Vlad and replaced him with anything near the level sold.

Driver not as good as Rudi

Banks not as good as Gordon

No-one as effective in midfield as Hartley

A lot of people on this thread still appear to believe that selling players benefits Hearts the club in some way.

If we want to remain a bottom six team with no footballing aspiration, we should sell all players as soon as a decent offer comes in. So if we are in this camp we should sell

If we want to at least look as if we are trying to challenge for something other than getting into the top six, then we should at least wait until a new manager comes in to assess whether or not we should keep our club captain.

If Berra goes we need 2 CBs for the first team IMO, and I wouldnt be confident we'd even get one.

But it all depends on aspirations

He replaced Hartley with Kingston - not been as effective as Hartley however was signed with a big reputation.

Guest JamboRobbo
He replaced Hartley with Kingston - not been as effective as Hartley however was signed with a big reputation.

Bottom line - who would help HMFC win more games. Hartley for me, by a country mile. Due to attitude and effectiveness in the SPL more than natural ability.

We should try and push it up to 2.5 million and try to play Wolves and Cardiff against each other to bump up the price. Perhaps 2 million with a further 500K if they get promoted in the next 3 years.

Given the debt we have, hearts cannot afford to turn down this sort of money, as long as you build in a sell-on clause to ensure we get more money on if Berra becomes premiership class then we are ok.

The point is, 2 million is more than twice the amount of money Hearts have even spent on a player. We could bank 1.5 million and find a more than adequate replacement for Berra at 500K if we had an astute manager / scouting network.

What about trying to get Darren Barr from Falkirk for say 800K and then selling Berra? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Well, I did use "effective". Kingston has not played to the level Hartley did consistently.

I guess thats why a manager is so important.

We have bought lots of expensive players who just havent been suited to:

1. the SPL

2. playing football without an effective manager.

Regardless, I wouldnt be confident of Berra being replaced by somebody at his level, or suited to the SPL

Anyone who says they would be confident is probably lieing - given our transfers since Burley left.

Anyone who says it wont really matter for us selling our club captain who is just breaking into the Scotland set-up is obviously happy for us being bottom six.

That's fine from my point of view. As long as people dont confuse selling any asset a club has as soon as a Vlad approved offer comes in with any sort of coherent plan for footballing success we'll all get on swimmingly.

Deal.

Would be no great loss to the team* and ?2m for an average player.........thank you very much.

*The same goes for the rest of the squad TBH.

I would tend to agree but he did better last season.

At the same time NO players should come or go until a proper manager comes in.

funktasticlad
We should try and push it up to 2.5 million and try to play Wolves and Cardiff against each other to bump up the price. Perhaps 2 million with a further 500K if they get promoted in the next 3 years.

Given the debt we have, hearts cannot afford to turn down this sort of money, as long as you build in a sell-on clause to ensure we get more money on if Berra becomes premiership class then we are ok.

The point is, 2 million is more than twice the amount of money Hearts have even spent on a player. We could bank 1.5 million and find a more than adequate replacement for Berra at 500K if we had an astute manager / scouting network.

What about trying to get Darren Barr from Falkirk for say 800K and then selling Berra? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Instead of Barr, Mark Reynolds from Well for around the same price then i'd tend to agree. Would rather he stayed though as i think Berra is a quality player and the only man in the squad at the moment that any new manager will be looking to as the spine of the team. We need a manager tho and i think the likes of Burnley with the Driver bid and Wolves with the Berra bid are trying to cash in on the fact there is uncertainty at the club at the moment.

Hagar the Horrible

?2m i would bite their hand off for that? he is a good player but he can be replaced very easily.

Besides a new manager will not want him to be captain, and Berra will chuck the toys out of the pram when this has been stripped from him?

So bye bye and mind and write? (or text, or at least a picture in crayon!):rolleyes:

CornhillHearts

I fear for the Hearts at home next year if a lot of trumpets on here are quite happy that we lose Berra, whom is ireplaceable for at Hearts at moment

Quite simply Rapnik/Gowser could not cope at playing centre half at moment re the physical nature of the game.

colinmaroon
Bottom line - who would help HMFC win more games. Hartley for me, by a country mile. Due to attitude and effectiveness in the SPL more than natural ability.

Hindsight is a great thing!!!

Try - - try to get back to before the injuries etc. - and at face value, who would you say was the best bet on paper?

PH a regular with Scotland or LK a regular with Ghana?

PH at his age v LK at his?

PH with the aging process, developing into a good holding player v LK showing flair etc. as an attacking midfield player?

Both excellent on free kicks!!!

I'm sorry this is not one that Vlad can be "blamed" for!!!

As previous poster said, it was a case of bringing in quality to replace PH!

Who knows, when the new manager comes, we may yet see the best of LK on a more regular basis - and when he's sold on, it will be for more than ?1.5 million!

Whatever anyone on here thinks of Christophe Berra, yes ? he ain?t a captain yet, and he?s not yet the finished article, but he IS one of the best defenders in Scotland. He?s young, Scottish, just got his first of many caps, he?s fast, strong, wins everything in the air and a great tackler. Things like reading of the game etc will come with experience. If we sell him for ?1.5million its an even worse deal than the one we got for Velicka.

For the potential alone we should be looking for ?1.5million, add to that whatever teams value for the strong points mentioned above and you?re halfway there.

I?d say absolute MINIMUM ?2.5million. Even then I?d be quite disappointed.

AGREED!

Bootboy100

?2m + sell on clause and then we have a deal.

Berra is no more than average just now. He can do better.

Incidently reading Gary MacKay's comments in the EEN today it sounds like Berra is desperate to leave the club!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Incidently reading Gary MacKay's comments in the EEN today it sounds like Berra is desperate to leave the club!!

Can you blame him?

Lescott was sold from Wolves for ?5m and Davies from West Brom is classed as ?7m.

The OF can stick players on the bench for two years and still ask for ?1m for them.

I'd be looking for ?2.5m to ?3m with a sell on clause - but would prefer the new manager to decide whether Berra should be sold - but we can't have everything.

Incidently reading Gary MacKay's comments in the EEN today it sounds like Berra is desperate to leave the club!![/QUOTE]

think most players would be happy to leave just now.

think most players would be happy to leave just now.

Been saying for two years now that any player actually interested in having a successful football career should be seeking a move from Tynecastle.

Hindsight is a great thing!!!

Try - - try to get back to before the injuries etc. - and at face value, who would you say was the best bet on paper?

PH a regular with Scotland or LK a regular with Ghana?

PH at his age v LK at his?

PH with the aging process, developing into a good holding player v LK showing flair etc. as an attacking midfield player?

Both excellent on free kicks!!!

I'm sorry this is not one that Vlad can be "blamed" for!!!

As previous poster said, it was a case of bringing in quality to replace PH!

Who knows, when the new manager comes, we may yet see the best of LK on a more regular basis - and when he's sold on, it will be for more than ?1.5 million!

Hi

From my perspective blame isnt important on this issue

Since Romanov arrived we have not replaced any sold player with a player who has played at the same level when here as the departed player

This is a fact as opposed to an opinion as to whether or not Romanov is to blame

So based on a realistic view of our transfer activity over the past 2 years it is a safe assumption to make that Berra - a young club captain and fledgling internationalist - will not be replaced by at least as good a player.

And the fans that are happy with the decreasing quality of football and lower league placings that have arisen as a bi-product will be fine with this. The people that have seen us be rubbish before and are happy just to be at Tynecastle no matter what is happening to the football team will be fine with this. The people that are happy to have seen Romanov grossly overinflate our debt and then have to sell anything that moves to keep us afloat will be happy.

Its all to do with the aspirations of the football club.

If we dont want to climb the league and challenge for anything I think its fine to accept selling our club captain before he has achieved anything significant with us or his country.

And to be honest it does sound as if he is desperate to leave, and that's probably right.

I've posted previously that I truely believe that at least 95% of players would be desperate to leave Hearts if another opportunity presented itself, and it appears that this might be the case...

Dagger Is Back
The Daily Express report....................................................

This will be a test of resolve for Vlad if true!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/46576/Wolves-offering-2m-for-Berra

Not exactly sure how it will be a test of resolve. Vlad loves money more than HMFC, bid would match his valuation.

Where do I sign Vlad says to himself. No test required.

walton1983
?2m for Bambi, bite their hand off.

A decent player is Berra in my opinion, nothing else,he could be replaced for a quarter of that ammount.

Gentlemen start your engines.

So where are all these centre half waiting to replace him. A few names please.

can't decide on this one, berra is nowhere near the finished article but he is scottish and we currently do not have anybody else as good as him.

Hi

From my perspective blame isnt important on this issue

Since Romanov arrived we have not replaced any sold player with a player who has played at the same level when here as the departed player

This is a fact as opposed to an opinion as to whether or not Romanov is to blame

So based on a realistic view of our transfer activity over the past 2 years it is a safe assumption to make that Berra - a young club captain and fledgling internationalist - will not be replaced by at least as good a player.

And the fans that are happy with the decreasing quality of football and lower league placings that have arisen as a bi-product will be fine with this. The people that have seen us be rubbish before and are happy just to be at Tynecastle no matter what is happening to the football team will be fine with this. The people that are happy to have seen Romanov grossly overinflate our debt and then have to sell anything that moves to keep us afloat will be happy.

Its all to do with the aspirations of the football club.

If we dont want to climb the league and challenge for anything I think its fine to accept selling our club captain before he has achieved anything significant with us or his country.

And to be honest it does sound as if he is desperate to leave, and that's probably right.

I've posted previously that I truely believe that at least 95% of players would be desperate to leave Hearts if another opportunity presented itself, and it appears that this might be the case...

You just have to look at the way players have left the club in the last 2-3 years to see that,only at Hearts.

Clerry Jambo
I fear for the Hearts at home next year if a lot of trumpets on here are quite happy that we lose Berra, whom is ireplaceable for at Hearts at moment

Quite simply Rapnik/Gowser could not cope at playing centre half at moment re the physical nature of the game.

Spot on CH.......

Archived