Hearts Greatest Ever Season 57-58. Talk

Archie White

http://www.leithfestival.com/index.php?sn=ev&ssn=po&id=786&cat=&date=

Not sure if this has been posted before (or if this link works) but should be a good night on Thursday with Mike Buckle at Leith (of all places) Festival event. Memories of happier times for our team.

Still tickets available too I believe.

50 years on and we just had a stinker!

Chas.Lewis

Not sure if this has been posted before (or if this link works) but should be a good night on Thursday with Mike Buckle at Leith (of all places) Festival event. Memories of happier times for our team.

I was there. Saw every game and every goal! So long ago, I can't remember too much about it (alcohol also dims the memory!). We got pretty used to winning in those days and kind of took it for granted - changed days since the mid 50's to early 60's!? Still, loved it while it lasted - for around 10 years we were always challenging for some thing or other.

Used to go with my Hearts & Hibby mates to Tyncastle and Easter road in those days. Believe it - Hibs and Hearts fans were generally on good terms, albiet still major rivalry - it was much more fun, passing the bottles around and either drinking a toast or commiserating with each other when a goal went in - New Year's day match, all fans mixed together and most were "stoating". There might have been bother, but I never saw any serious mischief.

Ach well - roll on the first game this season!

:) Chas

Hearts Heritage

A remarkable thing about that season was that they beat Rangers (their main rivals) twice.

At Ibrox 3-2 after being 2 goals down

And in the last game of the season 2-1 again being 1-0 nil down.

Also the following year they sort of 'blew it' (losing on the last day of the season to Celtic when Rangers defeat by Aberdeen would have handed the league to Hearts had they won).

A remarkable thing about that season was that they beat Rangers (their main rivals) twice.

At Ibrox 3-2 after being 2 goals down

And in the last game of the season 2-1 again being 1-0 nil down.

Also the following year they sort of 'blew it' (losing on the last day of the season to Celtic when Rangers defeat by Aberdeen would have handed the league to Hearts had they won).

57/58 season was my first season going to the matches and we thought it was always going to be easy . We used to get disappointed if we only won by three or four goals. In fact the next again season was considered a failure as we ONLY won the League Cup. I was at the last game of 58/59 at Parkhead and we were leading 1-0 at H/T but so were Rangers so it was'nt till news came through from Ibrox that Aberdeen had avoided relegation by beating Rangers that we realized had come so close to retaining the title.Rangers won the league thanks to Celtic but for a bizarre turn of events Hearts would have won three in a row. In fact there were a few twists and turns that day Dunfermline had to win by a cricket score to stay up and won 10-2 against Partick.

Robbos Right Peg

Thanks for that Archie I was hoping to get in and out of 'Sunny' Leith without anyone knowing:mad: I am not as big a media whore as another poster on JKB turned out to be ;) Saying that I am trying to get BB along on the night but he is big time now so who knows.

I can confirm though that Alex Young will be there and we are trying to arrange for Scott Wilson to host the event. Mind you it's the first night of Big Brother that might be more entertaining.

Buffalo Bill

The media whore can confirm his attendance.

Now where?s the buffet?

Buffalo Bill

Should have known a KB'er was responsible for this. :laugh:

Hoping to get along to this if tickets are still available for booking tomorrow... it's great to see some maroonness infiltrating Leith.

Archie White
Thanks for that Archie I was hoping to get in and out of 'Sunny' Leith without anyone knowing:mad: I am not as big a media whore as another poster on JKB turned out to be ;) Saying that I am trying to get BB along on the night but he is big time now so who knows.

I can confirm though that Alex Young will be there and we are trying to arrange for Scott Wilson to host the event. Mind you it's the first night of Big Brother that might be more entertaining.

Big Brother's on! Count me out now. ;)

Got my ticket this afternoon having got the book at christmas great read ,well before my time but it still has a huge place in the history of my club.

On the festival theme see that they are re-running HEARTFELT this time at fester rd ,where a washed up journo desperate for cash pretends he is a die hard hibby having to watch the JT's .Even thought when you read the book he seems to have stopped watching hibs for long chunks of his life, die hard my jacksie:107years:

Archived