Davie Provan

Winston Ingram

Winston Ingram

Notably positive comments re. Hearts in News of the Screws today...

"Hearts are a much bigger club than Motherwell..."

"McGhee's decision to stay out at Well leaves one of the best jobs in the country up for grabs..."

"The Jambos may have a megalomaniac owner but they've got a good squad, a terrific stadium and a great support. All they need is the right man in the dugout to pull it all together..."

vegas-voss

and there is a bit in today's Star saying that the real reason McGhee stayed at Motherwell was because Strachan told him to stay put until next year and Alex Ferguson also advised against it.

Dirty Deeds

The Hearts job should be one of the most sought after, however, any manager with any credibility or experience will turn down the job.

VR has made us a damaged goods club and we will only get a manager no other club wants. Similarly, no player with a decent alternative will sign for us. Sadly, there is no quick fix for us.

Gigolo-Aunt
The Hearts job should be one of the most sought after, however, any manager with any credibility or experience will turn down the job.

VR has made us a damaged goods club and we will only get a manager no other club wants. Similarly, no player with a decent alternative will sign for us. Sadly, there is no quick fix for us.

What a load of pish.

No offense.

Dirty Deeds
What a load of pish.

No offense.

None taken:dribble:

Let's just see who we end up with, who we sign and what we achieve.

Guaranteed, we all say end up saying What a load of pish

"McGhee's decision to stay out at Well leaves one of the best jobs in the country up for grabs..."

"The Jambos may have a megalomaniac owner but they've got a good squad, a terrific stadium and a great support. All they need is the right man in the dugout to pull it all together..."

I think McGhee is trying to get on our good side as well.Quote from today's paper,"Hearts are Scotland's third club and I believe if we finish above them next season then we will have finished at least third in the SPL."

Nice.Makes you feel better eh?:rolleyes:

The cruckie cookie

Spot on mate:)

5 Months and still counting

Is that the same Davie Provan who back in the summer of 2005 suggested that Hearts would be better going for someone such as Barry Fry, rather than wasting our time chasing a high calibre canditate such as George Burley?

I think McGhee is trying to get on our good side as well.Quote from today's paper,"Hearts are Scotland's third club and I believe if we finish above them next season then we will have finished at least third in the SPL."

MM is riddled with guilt and regret over his decision IMO. SL and the other backroom members who were meant to be coming with him all feel let down. They played no part in his decision to knock us back. Scott Leitch is especially gutted at missing out.

Buffalo Bill
. Scott Leitch is especially gutted at missing out.

I would have thought so too.

Is anyone on Kickback mates with Leitch?

Would be good to get his take on it; bet he's seething.

Buffalo Bill

Winston Ingram

Dirty Deeds; if you had heard Mark McGhee on Off The Ball yesterday, you may re-assess your stance. Don't fall into the common trap that every manager will run a mile from Romanov because he "picks the team".. McGhee didn't do that, and made it clear on the radio that the more he found out about Romanov, the more encouraged he was.

Quite simply, he changed his mind. It happens. And the Strachan/Celtic/another job theory may well be part of that.. but it was NOT because Vlad is a madman.

We have gone five months without a manager because we chased one guy.. thought we had him (were convinced, in fact) but he about-turned. No crime. Only error was not having a plan b but, crucially, we have not been turned down by a series of managers at all.. never mind rebuffed by guys on the basis Vlad is impossible to work with.

Guess The Crowd
Dirty Deeds; if you had heard Mark McGhee on Off The Ball yesterday, you may re-assess your stance. Don't fall into the common trap that every manager will run a mile from Romanov because he "picks the team".. McGhee didn't do that, and made it clear on the radio that the more he found out about Romanov, the more encouraged he was.

Quite simply, he changed his mind. It happens. And the Strachan/Celtic/another job theory may well be part of that.. but it was NOT because Vlad is a madman.

We have gone five months without a manager because we chased one guy.. thought we had him (were convinced, in fact) but he about-turned. No crime. Only error was not having a plan b but, crucially, we have not been turned down by a series of managers at all.. never mind rebuffed by guys on the basis Vlad is impossible to work with.

Indeed.

I'm not so sure that the rest of Scottish football is so obsessed with Romanov's strange ways as many on this board.

Last week I played golf with an ex-Dunfermline player, who's now in coaching. He spoke with some awe about Hearts as a club, and in particular Tynecastle.

He played for the Pars there during our memorable 97/98 season and had never experienced an atmosphere like it.

For what it's worth, he was staggered that anybody could ever turn down the Hearts manager's job for Motherwell.

vegas-voss
MM is riddled with guilt and regret over his decision IMO. SL and the other backroom members who were meant to be coming with him all feel let down. They played no part in his decision to knock us back. Scott Leitch is especially gutted at missing out.

It would be funny if the new manager wants Leitch as his number 2 and he tells Well to stick there job.

MM is riddled with guilt and regret over his decision IMO. .

I agree with your opinion, and listening to him on off the ball yesterday reaffirmed that opinion.

Father Tiresias

If only it was that easy.....

Denny Crane

Davie Provan has a recurring theme to his columns in that whatever is flavour of the month that week, he'll hitch himself to it for that edition of TNOTW and then be slating said topic a week or so later.

He's a band-wagon jumper. Don't think he's a new-found friend of the Hearts by this latest offerring.

Say we do appoint Jefferies. He'll probably slate us for reverting to our past even though earlier this season, he demanded Romanov appoint him. I would not be surprised if Provan proves (no pun intended) me right.

Maybe now that the cold reality of his decision has set in, he is now regretting his decision.

Midloth_Iain
Davie Provo talking sense?

:ohmy:

Vlad must have photo's of him and Tommy Sheridan at a swingers do ;)

allegedly:cool:

Gambo & Dazo....what exactly was McGhee saying on OTB?

All these comments about how wonderful Hearts are leaves a bad taste in the mouth a bit. You think there's genuine regret there?

Charlie-Brown

All these comments about how wonderful Hearts are leaves a bad taste in the mouth a bit. You think there's genuine regret there?

There's a thread about it on page 2 redm :)

It would be funny if the new manager wants Leitch as his number 2 and he tells Well to stick there job.

I've had a sneaky feeling for some time that Leitch could be the difference between McGhee's previous ordinary record as a manager and his (relative) success with Motherwell. What you say would be very interesting.

There's a thread about it on page 2 redm :)

:biggrin:

Thanks NMH. I've been away for a few days and normally my KB addiction is such that I don't need to venture past page 1...hehe. Will go and do some reading before I ask any more daft questions.

and there is a bit in today's Star saying that the real reason McGhee stayed at Motherwell was because Strachan told him to stay put until next year and Alex Ferguson also advised against it.[/QU

It that's true then what a piece of s*** Ferguson and Strachan are. Can't state what I hope happens to them. ****!!!!!

Italian Lambretta

He's still a 'Tattie-Picking Trumpet'.:)

Provan has bad mouthed us for 90% of his 'journalistic' :rolleyes: career

so he can shove his plaudits where the sun dont shine !

No idea what MM said on OTB redm i was going on what CO has been saying. ;)

Provan has bad mouthed us for 90% of his 'journalistic' :rolleyes: career

so he can shove his plaudits where the sun dont shine !

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jimmy McNulty

Still havent forgiven the ****** for getting bud sent off.

Couldnt care what he says. He's still a scrote.

jamboinglasgow
No idea what MM said on OTB redm i was going on what CO has been saying. ;)

what has CO been saying or have I misread this and its a joke:confused:

Aplogies if this has been posted previously - taken from today's Sunday Herald.

U-turn ends well

Mark McGhee speaks about his 11th-hour decision to stay at Motherwell and his plans for the future

Comment | Read Comments (3)

I HAD been conscious, since around Christmas, of rumours and reports linking me with a possible move to Hearts. I made it quite clear when I was considered for the position as Scotland manager that I would be remaining at Motherwell until the end of the season at least. I thought that this would have been cause for the Edinburgh side's owners to go off and appoint another coach. When it seemed that this was not putting Hearts off I was greatly flattered.

I followed the situation there closely and as I watched their progress under Stephen Frail I became convinced, as I remain now, that they have the makings of a strong squad and will be very competitive next season.

Much has been said and written about their Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov which caused me concern and ensured that I did my "due diligence"

when considering if I should take the Hearts job, were I to be formally offered it. I have become convinced that Hearts supporters should be grateful to have Mr Romanov at the club. I believe he has proper intentions and high ambitions for the Edinburgh club.

His style of management, which is very hands-on, has been described as interfering and restrictive to any manager. When I was manager of Millwall my chairman there was very similar - a very intelligent and successful individual with strong opinions on how business works and how a football team should be managed. He was Theo Paphitis, who many of you will know from TV's Dragons' Den.

You may have witnessed how opinionated and dogmatic Theo is in dealing with matters of business and in handling people. His attitude borders on hubris and at times he can appear arrogant. He is, however, also one of the most intelligent, loyal, and generous people that I have ever known and the combination of these strengths and weaknesses makes him a very interesting and challenging person to work for.

The key to working with someone like Theo Paphitis is communication. These types of chairmen require answers. They require that their employees justify their decisions with clear rationale and propose. They don't accept "because I felt like it" as an argument for team selection or for spending millions on a player.

Some people shy away from this. I believe that it is because they don't have the answers and that this sort of scrutiny is too much for them. Many managers would benefit from this sort of pressure. Theo Paphitis made me a better manager.

I believe that Mr Romanov is similar.

He is passionate about his club and demands high standards of those working there. He requires that his manager communicates with him keeping him informed on all aspects of the team. That's all, and the person who realises that and is in a position to take the job will have a fantastic opportunity. Hearts are Scotland's third club and I believe if we finish above them next season then we will have finished at least third in the SPL.

I made my decision to stick with Motherwell at the 11th hour. I had my boarding pass in hand and was standing at gate 47 waiting to board an aircraft to Vilnius. It was then that it dawned on me that I was not ready to leave Motherwell. The Hearts job is one that I would liked to have taken, but I felt when it came down to the final decision that it was premature to leave and that I owed the players and supporters of Motherwell a bit more.

I made a phone call to John Boyle and told him that Scott Leitch and myself were prepared to stay. He made me an offer and, just in case anyone accuses me of staying for money, it was a fraction of the Hearts one.

I stayed for purely football reasons.

I want European football and I believe that the way we play at Motherwell may suit that stage. The mistake that I made was that I should have realised this sooner and made that clear to Hearts.

Being settled at Motherwell will allow me to manage the work and family situation easier. This was also a factor in my decision. I am now looking forward with Motherwell supporters to an exciting season, including Uefa Cup football. It can't come quickly enough.

Maybe there is hope for us yet?

Aplogies if this has been posted previously - taken from today's Sunday Herald.

U-turn ends well

Mark McGhee speaks about his 11th-hour decision to stay at Motherwell and his plans for the future

Comment | Read Comments (3)

I HAD been conscious, since around Christmas, of rumours and reports linking me with a possible move to Hearts. I made it quite clear when I was considered for the position as Scotland manager that I would be remaining at Motherwell until the end of the season at least. I thought that this would have been cause for the Edinburgh side's owners to go off and appoint another coach. When it seemed that this was not putting Hearts off I was greatly flattered.

I followed the situation there closely and as I watched their progress under Stephen Frail I became convinced, as I remain now, that they have the makings of a strong squad and will be very competitive next season.

Much has been said and written about their Lithuanian owner Vladimir Romanov which caused me concern and ensured that I did my "due diligence"

when considering if I should take the Hearts job, were I to be formally offered it. I have become convinced that Hearts supporters should be grateful to have Mr Romanov at the club. I believe he has proper intentions and high ambitions for the Edinburgh club.

His style of management, which is very hands-on, has been described as interfering and restrictive to any manager. When I was manager of Millwall my chairman there was very similar - a very intelligent and successful individual with strong opinions on how business works and how a football team should be managed. He was Theo Paphitis, who many of you will know from TV's Dragons' Den.

You may have witnessed how opinionated and dogmatic Theo is in dealing with matters of business and in handling people. His attitude borders on hubris and at times he can appear arrogant. He is, however, also one of the most intelligent, loyal, and generous people that I have ever known and the combination of these strengths and weaknesses makes him a very interesting and challenging person to work for.

The key to working with someone like Theo Paphitis is communication. These types of chairmen require answers. They require that their employees justify their decisions with clear rationale and propose. They don't accept "because I felt like it" as an argument for team selection or for spending millions on a player.

Some people shy away from this. I believe that it is because they don't have the answers and that this sort of scrutiny is too much for them. Many managers would benefit from this sort of pressure. Theo Paphitis made me a better manager.

I believe that Mr Romanov is similar.

He is passionate about his club and demands high standards of those working there. He requires that his manager communicates with him keeping him informed on all aspects of the team. That's all, and the person who realises that and is in a position to take the job will have a fantastic opportunity. Hearts are Scotland's third club and I believe if we finish above them next season then we will have finished at least third in the SPL.

I made my decision to stick with Motherwell at the 11th hour. I had my boarding pass in hand and was standing at gate 47 waiting to board an aircraft to Vilnius. It was then that it dawned on me that I was not ready to leave Motherwell. The Hearts job is one that I would liked to have taken, but I felt when it came down to the final decision that it was premature to leave and that I owed the players and supporters of Motherwell a bit more.

I made a phone call to John Boyle and told him that Scott Leitch and myself were prepared to stay. He made me an offer and, just in case anyone accuses me of staying for money, it was a fraction of the Hearts one.

I stayed for purely football reasons.

I want European football and I believe that the way we play at Motherwell may suit that stage. The mistake that I made was that I should have realised this sooner and made that clear to Hearts.

Being settled at Motherwell will allow me to manage the work and family situation easier. This was also a factor in my decision. I am now looking forward with Motherwell supporters to an exciting season, including Uefa Cup football. It can't come quickly enough.

Maybe there is hope for us yet?

When I read that this morning I felt regret (for the first time) that MM didn't come.

His comments about working with someone as 'hands on' as VR were very interesting. Its that type of attitude that would be a success with VR and therefore Hearts and there aren't too many around who think like that.

Jefferies to steady the ship for two years and then McGhee?

Archived