Gazza

crazy_jambo_2006

crazy_jambo_2006

Sad to see Gazza in such a state. The best footballer I've seen play in Scotland. The finest British player of his generation.

Craigieboy
Sad to see Gazza in such a state. The best footballer I've seen play in Scotland. The finest British player of his generation.

Where did you see him?

jamboinheaven

have we interviewed him for the managers job,just as bad a drinking problem as burley lol

have we interviewed him for the managers job,just as bad a drinking problem as burley lol

Nope but his plastic parrot is now top of Vlad's wanted list.

The finest footballer I've seen, I cite Italia 90 for that, unfortunately he was never the player he was after the injury he sustained in the English Cup Final that was was entirely his own fault. It must be quite difficult living with oneself after that.

Ibrahim Tall

Suprised its that far up the pecking order.

Guest juvehearts

I take it you never seen Hendrik Larsson play or brian laudrup, rino gatusso, can i say Russell Latapy?? :hobofish: or theirs four much better than him

i could go on & name more but im stumped & kannae be bothered thinking about it.

Gigolo-Aunt
I take it you never seen Hendrik Larsson play or brian laudrup, rino gatusso, can i say Russell Latapy?? :hobofish: or theirs four much better than him

i could go on & name more but im stumped & kannae be bothered thinking about it.

Its all about opinions, but if soemone mentions Gascoine as the best player they have seen playing is Scotland, they are not going to be wide of the mark.

Latapy is a VERY good player, but to hold him in the same catagory as Gazza is ??????????????????

Gattuso was raw talent at Ibrox, he only matured as a player when he went back home to Italy. His impact on Scottish football was minimum.

Miller Jambo 60

Got to laugh but Gazza could turn any wee man in his day,

Hope you get well PAUL and **** ALL the **** arround you.

MA HA GORGIE RULE:107years::107years:

ToadKiller Dog

Gazza was born with a massive talent but low intelligence ,A troubled person who is going to be remembered more for the good and bad things he did off the field more than his ability on it.

Dont think he could handle the pressure put on him by the english media to be the big english Saviour .

First you post a thread about how good Beckham is, now Gazza, next you will be posting about Alan Shearer being the best ever striker. :rolleyes:

Brian Laudrup IMO was the best ever.

Just worth the admission fee to watch play.

Excellent player.

Henrik Larsson was a player aswell, great feet and excellent talent.

Gazza is as daft as they come but somebody needs to help the guy. So many people have made money from him and he deserves to get a lot of support to fight the drink.

I met him once at a petrol station when my mate and I were at the counter getting juice and icecreams. He came in in a wild Versace shirt and a pair of addidas shorts and flip flops on. He said IIIeeeeeeelll get that fur yee lads.

Top bloke, great player and yet another footballing genius who has been claimed by the drink and fame.

Ryan Gosling

Excellent player.

And you have fond memories of Laudrup, being 10 when he left Rangers, I suppose?

Charlie-Brown

We were in the Abbey Bar in Newington that Gazza & Jimmy-5-Bellies used to come into every now and again whilst Gazza was at Rangers...anyway one night I remember he must have put over a hundred quid in the bandit....he eventually won a jackpot repeat (?50) and bought everybody in the bar a drink......he then sent J5B to the cashline next door for another couple of hundred quid and arsed that on the bandit, jukebox and quiz machine.....they were in there all night but he couldn't have had anymore than 2 or 3 pints that (midweek) night as he was still playing at that time.....seemed like a really good guy but a bit nuts even back then. :)

couldn't give a flyin *** to be honest, hun barsteward cost us the diddy cup, and therefore i hate him

I find it farsical that someone has just put Russell Latapy in the same class as Paul Gascoigne.

Feckin' sickening.

Pete Seeger

My god. Are you serious?

Guest juvehearts
My god. Are you serious?

why would i post something if i am not??

if i did i'd have a :P next to his name.

he's played for porto, bovistia,hibs, rangers, dundee utd & falkirk. He is a great ambassador to scottish football, excellent football brain & it shows in his coaching (scott arfield) played at a world cup. He has been at the higest level & to come from a island that is less than ours (T&T) & still make it, just says it all really.

i respect him & when he plays even now (taking last season vs hearts into acount) You can still see he ooses class for his postition re the results vs us.

most people will think because he played for hibs he was garbage but neutrals & footballing fans without prejudice will agree (imo) that he is a master class for a player in his postition for the SPL.

Excellent player.

Shockingly I agree with this.

Gazza had the potential to be an incredible player but a combination of injuries and his own knobbyness meant he never became close to the player he could have been.

Gigolo-Aunt

he's played for porto, bovistia,hibs, rangers, dundee utd & falkirk. He is a great ambassador to scottish football, excellent football brain & it shows in his coaching (scott arfield) played at a world cup. He has been at the higest level & to come from a island that is less than ours (T&T) & still make it, just says it all really.

i respect him & when he plays even now (taking last season vs hearts into acount) You can still see he ooses class for his postition re the results vs us.

most people will think because he played for hibs he was garbage but neutrals & footballing fans without prejudice will agree (imo) that he is a master class for a player in his postition for the SPL.

Latapy is a class little player, but he is not even close to Gazza.

Gazza lit up a WC.

Gazza lit up a EURO Championship

Gazza lit up Scottish football.

He just lit the place up when he played football, even after THAT injury.

Football is about opinions, but you are so far off the tracks on this one its scary.

At no point have a denied that Latapy is a good player. He's done well in Scotland but was anonymous on the continent, and has never quite been able to step up to the next level. Obviously he played in the WC '06 but you know what i mean.

With all due respect, i think Scott Arfield would have broken through at Falkirk regardless of Russell Latapy being there or not! It's ludicrous to suggest he's responsible for Arfield being in the first team!

He's nowhere near the level that Gascoigne played at, in World Cups for England, brilliant for Newcastle and one of the few Brits to do well in Italy. He was one of the best ever in Scotland, and i'm afraid in terms of footballing ability, and achievements, Gascoigne's on a whole new level to Latapy.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

FFS can we stop debating who the better player is it isn't even up for discussion!

Sorry Juvehearts but your opinion is wrong, simple as that!

Right, who is better .... Zinedine Zidane or Mikey Stewart?

FFS can we stop debating who the better player is it isn't even up for discussion!

Sorry Juvehearts but your opinion is wrong, simple as that!

Right, who is better .... Zinedine Zidane or Mikey Stewart?

To be fair, Stewart's starred for Man Yoo so miby he might be a bit beta than dis Zidane felly, naw? :unsure:

Gazza was born with a massive talent but low intelligence ,A troubled person who is going to be remembered more for the good and bad things he did off the field more than his ability on it.

Dont think he could handle the pressure put on him by the english media to be the big english Saviour .

It's not low intelligence (e.g. TV documentary of him speaking fluent Italian) - but a combination of emotional distress, mental illness, addiction.

He just seems incredibly vulnerable and immature. I hope he finds the strength and help he needs to get through all this.

Legend Claws

Read his autobiography to a get a real picture of the guy. It is very sad to see him in such a state he has so many demons. He still had an amazing career, people seem to think he was a flash in the pan but he played at a very high level for many a year and was a sucess on the continent unlike so many British players.

Latapy? My arse.

I spent a night in his company many years ago (Watershed in Stockbridge) through a mutual friend. He was with five bellies (leech) and they were knocking back the lager and Regal until fter about half a dozen Gazza remembered he had a game on the Saturday. So he moved onto Midori and lemonade!!

He almost threw a toddlers tantrum because I insisted on buying a round. generous to a fault, but I could see people taking advantage. Like his chubby friend that same night.

The Doctor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp0gI05PsMA

One of my favourite ever goals.

Shame about the opposition! :sad:

It is a thing of beauty.

It says a lot about Scottish football fans, genuine connoisseurs of the game, that Gazza is well liked and that goal is greatly admired, even though it was scored against us and the celebration, the dentist's chair, went down in football folklore.

Gazza is the best I ever saw, more skillfull than Laudrup or Larsson, with greater vision and a huge heart for the game. Hell, a huge heart period. I would say that he is only truly world class player to have played in Scotland.

Comparing him with Latapy? I'd say comparing him with Maradonna or Pele was closer to his standard.

David Baddiel (on Fantasy Football) used to go on about Gazza and Matt le Tissier playing together in England's midfield, I'm not sure it ever happened, one of these freaks of circumstance, but together they would have been about the most creative, visionary midfield pairing imaginable.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=93Wjx8L8-Go

Robertson9

Gazza lit up a WC.

Football is about opinions, but you are so far off the tracks on this one its scary.

Spot on he also lit up football off the park in many ways some good, some bad.

Tragic what happened to such a talent.

Even more tragic is someone putting him in the same class as Latapy :sad:

Charlie-Brown

He also lit up some cigarettes, :) liked to play with fire extinguishers (lets skoosh some students) and played football with the bar staff's mop & bucket at closing time / chucking out time.

Goose Baxter

An amazing player in his day and wa great to see play in Scotland. Always liked his goal celebration against the tims!!

You can train day in day out all your life and be an excelent footballer.

(Laudrup and larsson)

But Gazza was raw natural talent.

Legend Claws

I was on work experience with a photographer during my school days, he was taking pics for a now defunct Scottish football magazine. The magazine introduced 'The Golden Pie' award to a premier league player with perhaps more weight around the guts than they should have. This year it was Gazza and they asked me to present the award to him at the Rangers training ground! I was ****ting myself as I walked on to the training pitch (with permission from the club) with the golden pie award in tow and straight up to Gazza 'Congrats Paul, you are the Dugout Golden Pie Award winner' he looked at me like he was going to kill me and held this gaze for about 30 seconds before bursting in to laughter, taking the award off me, pulling up his training top and running about slapping his belly as the rest of the team ran after him!!! Quality! He gave me a full Rangers training kit (signed) that I ended up giving to a chairty auction. Pretty cool experience for 15 year old laddie!

Gazza lit up a WC.

Latapy lit up a joint??? does that count??haha

But to even mention latapy's name in the same breath as the legend that is gazza is just horrifying!!!

Charlie-Brown

I remember one game towards the end of the season when a young Derek Holmes was going to make his debut for Hearts before the game Gazza was signing autographs and telling all the Hearts apprentices and ball-boys in front of the enclosure "eee young 'homers ganna be pleeyin far ye's the day like, ye's can dae that tae if ye's stick in"

Dr Ian Malcolm

Probably the biggest mistake he made was signing for Spurs instead of Man Utd. Fergie says in his book that Gazza had apparantly vernally agreed to join Utd. Fergie goes off on holiday only to find out he's signed for Spurs 'cause they bought his parents a house.

Different class on his day, can only imagine how good he'd have been with Fergie keeping him in check. Him and Keane/Scholes in that midfield would have been unreal.

shaun.lawson
I spent a night in his company many years ago (Watershed in Stockbridge) through a mutual friend. He was with five bellies (leech) and they were knocking back the lager and Regal until fter about half a dozen Gazza remembered he had a game on the Saturday. So he moved onto Midori and lemonade!!

He almost threw a toddlers tantrum because I insisted on buying a round. generous to a fault, but I could see people taking advantage. Like his chubby friend that same night.

Interesting story: thanks for that. I'd always assumed Five Bellies was just incredibly stupid, but crucially, loyal: maybe the only loyal friend Gazza's ever had. But if he was taking advantage too - eesh...

To me, Gazza has always come across as someone incredibly eager to please and be appreciated. This leads him to go out of his way in being helpful and generous, but he's also incredibly naive - especially when considering the lecherous nature of so many in football. If, God forbid, the worst ever happened, I think the shock could resonate through British football for years afterwards: millions of fans would be devastated, and very big questions would be asked.

While I'm certainly not suggesting managers should double as psychologists, I've always been very dubious whether enough was done while he was still young enough for it to make a real impact - and especially whether certain managers, who he actually played very well for, did anywhere near enough to root out drinking cultures among their players. It seems to me a few actively encouraged it: which in this case, has had the most awful consequences.

All we can do is hope he has people around him who he trusts, and can advise and help him get through this: but it doesn't look at all good.

shaun.lawson
I was on work experience with a photographer during my school days, he was taking pics for a now defunct Scottish football magazine. The magazine introduced 'The Golden Pie' award to a premier league player with perhaps more weight around the guts than they should have. This year it was Gazza and they asked me to present the award to him at the Rangers training ground! I was ****ting myself as I walked on to the training pitch (with permission from the club) with the golden pie award in tow and straight up to Gazza 'Congrats Paul, you are the Dugout Golden Pie Award winner' he looked at me like he was going to kill me and held this gaze for about 30 seconds before bursting in to laughter, taking the award off me, pulling up his training top and running about slapping his belly as the rest of the team ran after him!!! Quality! He gave me a full Rangers training kit (signed) that I ended up giving to a chairty auction. Pretty cool experience for 15 year old laddie!

Yeah, that's Gazza to a tee. When he was at Newcastle, opposing fans used to launch Mars bars onto the pitch in order to ridicule his girth - so Gazza just picked them up and ate them! A neat variation on a theme of Diego Maradona's response when fans threw oranges at him at one game in Italy: he turned round and started volleying them back whence they came with extraordinary force and military precision! :)

His performance at Ibrox against Aberdeen which clinched the title for Rangers was one of the greatest individual performances I have ever seen in Scottish football.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

The bit I don't understand is how you call the other poster a Hobo for thinking Gazza is better than Latapy?! Surely your opinion is the more Hobo-ish?!

You can train day in day out all your life and be an excelent footballer.

(Laudrup and larsson)

But Gazza was raw natural talent.

Bit harsh on Laudrup. He was also extremely gifted, training & living properly made him an even better player.

I preferred him as a player to Gazza. Larsson for all his goals was someone I could never warm to.

Hilary Briss
The finest footballer I've seen, I cite Italia 90 for that, unfortunately he was never the player he was after the injury he sustained in the English Cup Final that was was entirely his own fault. It must be quite difficult living with oneself after that.

TBF, he went on and had successful career in Italy & Scotland as well as doing well for Engerlund in Euro 96 after that.

Best player I've seen in Scotland along with Laudrup & Larrson.

Hilary Briss
His performance at Ibrox against Aberdeen which clinched the title for Rangers was one of the greatest individual performances I have ever seen in Scottish football.

Yep, I agree.........and the league cup final against us he was pretty special.....unfortunately :(

Guest juvehearts
The bit I don't understand is how you call the other poster a Hobo for thinking Gazza is better than Latapy?! Surely your opinion is the more Hobo-ish?!

Think you really should take a look properly at my post.

where does it indicate that i called the poster an hobo.

the hobo sign was for russel latapy as he played for hibs :wacko::wacko:.

ffs get a grip mate eh!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Breaking news - Gazza just been sectioned under Mental Health Act by Herts polis

Archived