HMLFC, should it happen?

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

To start of I know this thread will provoke some strong reactions as this issue always does. But what I am wondering is if Hearts should start a Heart of Midlothian Ladies Football Club.

Times are changing in football and the ladies game is getting more popular, it will never reach anything as near as popular as the men's game but it still will have some support. I think if Vlad did this he would help increase support for Heart of Midlothian.

There are a number of SPL clubs who already have teams, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Celtic and even Hibs. The sad thing is Hibs Ladies are seen as the biggest team in the league (one of the 17 year olds went to Aresnal ladies this season and is tipped to be a big star.) My view is imagine if Hearts set up a team that was even better then hibs, imagine double the amount of derby victories and getting one over hibs a season.

I reckon most will be against this idea but think it wont cost that much to do for Hearts and may have good benefits for the club.

Charlie-Brown

I'd rather we started a Futsal team but there's no reason why we couldn't have a ladies team as well. :)

jamboinglasgow
I'd rather we started a Futsal team but there's no reason why we couldn't have a ladies team as well. :)

I would agree with you, futsal is a worthy thing to be brought into Scottish football and would benefit Hearts youngster alot.

To start of I know this thread will provoke some strong reactions as this issue always does. But what I am wondering is if Hearts should start a Heart of Midlothian Ladies Football Club.

Times are changing in football and the ladies game is getting more popular, it will never reach anything as near as popular as the men's game but it still will have some support. I think if Vlad did this he would help increase support for Heart of Midlothian.

There are a number of SPL clubs who already have teams, Aberdeen, Dundee United, Celtic and even Hibs. The sad thing is Hibs Ladies are seen as the biggest team in the league (one of the 17 year olds went to Aresnal ladies this season and is tipped to be a big star.) My view is imagine if Hearts set up a team that was even better then hibs, imagine double the amount of derby victories and getting one over hibs a season.

I reckon most will be against this idea but think it wont cost that much to do for Hearts and may have good benefits for the club.

Personaly I think they should concentrate on restarting HMFC rather than peshing about with that.

Tokyo Drifter

I think we should have one and am surprised we don't. It would increase the potential fanbase because young girls who play football wouldn't feel excluded. You'd be more likely to support Hearts if there was a chance you could play for the Women's team one day.

jamboinglasgow
I think we should have one and am surprised we don't. It would increase the potential fanbase because young girls who play football wouldn't feel excluded. You'd be more likely to support Hearts if there was a chance you could play for the Women's team one day.

I agree with you, a women's team would include a youth system and girls are really getting into football, they can wear the Hearts colours and feel that they too have a chance to play for the team even it is the ladies team. THink the club should do it as football is becoming less a man's game despite what some views are.

Ibrahim Tall

Don't really have a strong opinion either way tbh, wouldn't exactly be against it but i couldn't care less if they didn't either.

Like the futsal idea though. Atleast it's something i might be willing to go and watch.

Rawrrrrrrr

Complete waste of money

The budget for a ladies team could easily be 50k plus an annum

This would be far better spent on a player, coach or youth football for the first team

Its also worth noting ladies football brings no return, if the 50k unearths an asset in the mens game it does

Ladies football and futsal are expenses we don't need

jamboinglasgow
Complete waste of money

The budget for a ladies team could easily be 50k plus an annum

This would be far better spent on a player, coach or youth football for the first team

Its also worth noting ladies football brings no return, if the 50k unearths an asset in the mens game it does

Ladies football and futsal are expenses we don't need

futsal can be used to develop youngsters with greater technique and awareness which the game holds as important.

Ladies game can bring in more people supporting Hearts thus increase in ST or merchandise. I think your thought it brings in no value is wrong.

The White Cockade

We've been playing like a women's team for the last 2 years...

Ladies game can bring in more people supporting Hearts thus increase in ST or merchandise. I think your thought it brings in no value is wrong.

Have you any evidence to back that up? There's plenty of womens teams attached to mens teams down in England. Have any of them brought in sizeable benefits to their parent club? The reason I ask is that Charlton, on relegation from the Premiership, massively cut their budget for ladies football. If it was such a benefit and not a liability why would they do that?

Personally I see absolutely no sign of the ladies game either being or becoming popular despite the best PC efforts of the BBC. The standard is abysmal and the crowds for the champagne games are awful whilst the the crowds for the normal games are dwarfed by the number of players on the pitch.

Think it's a good idea, I am surprised we don't have one and actually was going to contact the club on this very subject to ask if it has been considered, there may be reasons we don't have one, I don't know.

It's something I'm really interested in and have been in contact with another SPL club who have a very strong girls youth development system.

I can see why some people would be against it though.

Rawrrrrrrr
Think it's a good idea, I am surprised we don't have one and actually was going to contact the club on this very subject to ask if it has been considered, there may be reasons we don't have one, I don't know.

It's something I'm really interested in and have been in contact with another SPL club who have a very strong girls youth development system.

What benefits would it bring to hearts though?

20-30k for coaching

Player salaries/Expenses

Infastructure

Fees for leagues etc

A stadium/training area

That is easily 50k a year down the drain, and it wont bring it back, womans football in england is being cut back at many clubs who are now realising it

Hearts as a club cannot justify the expense for what is very little return

Hibs have a womans team and I bet that once the novelty of it wore off, we like them would be sinking money into a black hole

Rawrrrrrrr

The problem with this is when the grant money is removed or cut then the club are either stuck with the drain on its finances or they have to cease the team.

Dont think its worth the hassle at all and I would be very surprised if anyone had much interest in womans football once the novelty wore off pass the players and families of players

Maroon Mayhem
What benefits would it bring to hearts though?

20-30k for coaching

Player salaries/Expenses

Infastructure

Fees for leagues etc

A stadium/training area

That is easily 50k a year down the drain, and it wont bring it back, womans football in england is being cut back at many clubs who are now realising it

Hearts as a club cannot justify the expense for what is very little return

Hibs have a womans team and I bet that once the novelty of it wore off, we like them would be sinking money into a black hole

Not like you to act as an authority on a subject you know absolutely nothing about but there you go.

The game isn't a professional one up here, the main professional leagues are in England Italy and the US.

The only support SPL clubs give to their ladies teams is some strips, training gear and perhaps coaching now and again. Any full time coach the ladies had would be on much the same basis as an amateur.

The amount of girls and ladies at Tynecastle grows year on year, young girls know they'll never be able to play for Hearts but wouldn't them representing Hearts in the womens game give them something to aspire to. We culd increase our fan base as a result.

It's a good idea, I realise Prancer is all against ?50k outlay but it's not really that much in the grand scheme of things and is good PR for the club.

There is interest in ladies football, may not be anywhere near the size of men's, or junior, or similar but still there.

Hibs Ladies are the ex Hearts team anyway, CPR got rid of them years back, so I say get it up & running again, take all the best players from Hibs and then we can at least have one decent performing team in a Scottish league wearing maroon :D

jamboinglasgow

Thats good to hear steph, think it would be very benifical thing for hearts to help develop the female side of the support. As someone else pointed out, us guys grow up when we are young thinking we could possibly pull on that mighty maroon top and scoring that winning goal (unless you are a goalkeeper) against the hibs to win the Scottish cup or league. Its only as you get older you realise you dont have the skills or fitness or any attribute to play but you still dream that you could. The girls that support Hearts I'm sure would love that to happen to them but as they cant play for the guys then a team that is hearts that they can would be a dream.

As for an example of 50K a year, thats only 5 weeks of what Kingston or tall were reputly earning, I would happily forgo a player who is earning alot and not playing for a womens set up which can increase money from merchandise and increased ST from the new fans drawn from the appeal of being able to play for hearts in the future whatever sex. Its not me trying to be PC as I hate political correctness but I feel it benefits the club and to me thats what is important.

The birds should be vetted, and only the good looking ones allowed to join.

Nae hounds or dykes.

This would be my starting 11 pictured here in the "playing away from home" kit...

9916.jpg

The birds should be vetted, and only the good looking ones allowed to join.

Nae hounds or dykes.

This would be my starting 11 pictured here in the "playing away from home" kit...

9916.jpg

That would be a sell-out every week then . . .

Sod the man's game let's support the ladies :)

Pretty sure we kind of had one fairly recently. It was Guillianos Ladies football team and they played under the guise of Hearts for a couple of years, maybe 5-10years ago ? I think Hearts provided them with kits and some funding (or something like that) but withdrew their support after only a year or two. Cant remember why though.

inside right

I thought the ladies game was on the up. Heard that attendance at womens league games in Germany was higher than the Bundesliga.

mickmaroon
Pretty sure we kind of had one fairly recently. It was Guillianos Ladies football team and they played under the guise of Hearts for a couple of years, maybe 5-10years ago ? I think Hearts provided them with kits and some funding (or something like that) but withdrew their support after only a year or two. Cant remember why though.

That's what I thought too. Can't remember why we stopped funding them.

As a club trying to build community links I think a WFC would be a good idea. 52% of the population and all that ...

Archived