Michael Stewart / Stephen Hughes

magicTs

For the 4th time this season Stewart totally and utterly outshone by Hughes. Just another example of the football decision making at our club. Hopeless the lot of them.

For the 4th time this season Stewart totally and utterly outshone by Hughes. Just another example of the football decision making at our club. Hopeless the lot of them.

Stewart reckons hes a quality player. Sadly hes mistaken. :(

Stewart reckons hes a quality player. Sadly hes mistaken. :(

Yep, and this season is just a mirror image of every other after he moves to a new club. Decent start were he is energetic and focused quickly followed by ill discipline and a general maliase in his attitude and all round conribution. Hopefully he will not be here wasting our time and money next season as any manager worth their salt will not put up with his type.

Stewart should never have played tonight. He's been out with a virus and hadn't trained before this morning after spewing up on the park on Saturday (and he clearly shouldn't have played then either!)

I wouldnae have been in work today if it was me!

Stewart should never have played tonight. He's been out with a virus and hadn't trained before this morning after spewing up on the park on Saturday (and he clearly shouldn't have played then either!)

Stewart gets these "virus'" a lot.

Happened at Hibs, taken off at HT (after he had scored a wonder goal) and never to been seen again :rolleyes:

Vlad_Knows_Best

Sorry but are you trying to justify his performance? I really hope not.

[

At least he hasnt caught the Vlad flu that seems to effect some of our other players for extended periods.

QUOTE=RockyBalboa;25044]Stewart gets these "virus'" a lot.

Happened at Hibs, taken off at HT (after he had scored a wonder goal) and never to been seen again :rolleyes:

Can't pass the ball, can't deliver a freekick, can't tackle, can't deliver a corner Mikey Stewart GTF. Headless chicken, speaks volumes when he runs up the line and miscontrols the ball out for a throw then turns and gives Miko it tight. Utter PASHH

I seem to recall most people dismissing Hughes as a poor player and not good enough for us when it looked like we might sign him. Myself included!

I am not sure what Frail was thinking about playing Stewart as the furthest forward of our midfield 3. We saw in games earlier this season and on Saturday that he doesn't have the ability to play in that position. Brainless stuff from Frail.

Not that Stewart has been playing well though - shocking last night again.

Stewarts biggest problem is he thinks he's a far better player than he is.

While we have him in the team we will have to put up with his poor delivery from corners and free kicks and his attempted world cup passes.

Guest JamboRobbo
I am not sure what Frail was thinking about playing Stewart as the furthest forward of our midfield 3. We saw in games earlier this season and on Saturday that he doesn't have the ability to play in that position. Brainless stuff from Frail.

Not that Stewart has been playing well though - shocking last night again.

Spot on Coco. Was talking about that with my mates earlier in the week. What do we get last night - Stewart in the hole again.

Open your eyes Frail ffs.

Coco / JR I totally agree. Stewart is not capable of playing the role that Cameron and Hartley did to such great effect in recent times and make the late runs into the box and to link the play between midfield and striker(s). Unfortunately such has been the complete shambles in the running and managing of the squad we have nobody who can fulfill that role. The imbalance of the squad has been plain for at all to see for ages but is merely the end result of the gradual malaise over the last 2 years. Thanks Vlad.

The People's Chimp

Said the same last night. With Stewart in the hole we were a man down, he's not a Hartley type player. With Ruebn having a shocker as well, we had nothing through the middle. Our continued reliance on the long ball punt did not help matters either.

This thread is ill founded , Hughes was offered a contract at Hearts and on more money but decided to sign for Motherwell this is well documented.

What has this got to do with decision making at Hearts ?

so suddenly because we've lost hughes turns into a world beater and stewart turns into the most gash player in the world. what a load of nonsense. If both players are on their game hughes doesn't come anywhere near Stewart. In the second half last night hughes was completely anonymous in midfield but as usual because we are so down on our own players automatically everyone else becomes amazing. :mad:

rudi must stay

don't agree at all with the OP, Stewart played far better than Hughes in the 2-2 game and also in the 2-0 game. It's 50/50 who's the better player imo. I'm glad we didn't sign Hughes, he is a waste of time who is just waiting for the huns to sign him again

This thread is ill founded , Hughes was offered a contract at Hearts and on more money but decided to sign for Motherwell this is well documented.

Says it all about what Hearts have become in the last 2 years that a player would turn us down for Motherwell even when we offered him more money. He obviously looked at our situation and the lack of any manager and realised his career would be better served with McGhee. he was right.

I'm glad we didn't sign Hughes, he is a waste of time

Unlike Stewart who is contributing what exactly ?

rudi must stay
Unlike Stewart who is contributing what exactly ?

effort, we'd be alright if all the team put in the same effort he puts in. Unlike Hughes who did nothing for Leicester cos he didn't want to be there

quite agree mate with this comment. But this is just another chance for the MS haters to have a go.

quite agree mate with this comment. But this is just another chance for the MS haters to have a go.

There are too many on here who claim to be Hearts "supporters" who give the players worse pelters on here than any Hobo ever has.

effort, we'd be alright if all the team put in the same effort he puts in. Unlike Hughes who did nothing for Leicester cos he didn't want to be there

Effort ? If running about like a headless chicken is what you define as effort than maybe. However, a constructive role with some discipline for what you are trying to achieve would maybe see him actually contribute. He has been rubbish for months, it is no knee jerk reaction to his perfomance last night on my part. Sadly this just mirrors what has happened every time he has moved clubs throughout his career. That is Michael Stewart's fault and no one else's.

but how does stewarts shortcomings suddenly make hughes become the better player as this main topic this thread started off with?? Remember motherwell's "amazing" midfield created not one shot on target.

rudi must stay
Effort ? If running about like a headless chicken is what you define as effort than maybe. However, a constructive role with some discipline for what you are trying to achieve would maybe see him actually contribute. He has been rubbish for months, it is no knee jerk reaction to his perfomance last night on my part. Sadly this just mirrors what has happened every time he has moved clubs throughout his career. That is Michael Stewart's fault and no one else's.

don't think this is fair at all, he puts in effort like Hartley did. Did he run around like a headless chicken? Just cos the team lost doesn't make him a bad player, they are a better team than is as the league shows, that's not Stewart's fault.

but how does stewarts shortcomings suddenly make hughes become the better player as this main topic this thread started off with?? Remember motherwell's "amazing" midfield created not one shot on target.

Stewart and Hughes were two players we were linked with in the Summer. We signed 1 of them. The wrong one IN MY OPINION (clearly not yours). Whilst Stewart thinks he can play the difficult incisive pass, Hughes actually can. to me that's the difference and if you actually look at the overall performances of both this season and the relative successes of both clubs there is simply no contest. Whilst Hughes is getting his career back on track Stewart is doing exactly as many expected, the same pattern as always with him and after a decent start fading away rapidly.

Hughes has the benefit of playing in a team which has a pattern of play and discernible tactics, and who are playing well as a unit. For all that I don't think he's played that well against us this season.

don't think this is fair at all, he puts in effort like Hartley did. Did he run around like a headless chicken? Just cos the team lost doesn't make him a bad player, they are a better team than is as the league shows, that's not Stewart's fault.

I'm sorry but lol :rofl: you are now trying to compare Stewart to Hartley ???!!!

Hartley may have let his enthusiasm get the better of him of at times but jeez he contributed more in a few games than Stewart has in total.

Hughes has the benefit of playing in a team which has a pattern of play and discernible tactics, and who are playing well as a unit.

I'll certainly agree with that and feel sorry for MS as well as many other's for having to put up with the managerial situation they (and us) have had to endure. Only one man to blame for that though !

rudi must stay
I'm sorry but lol :rofl: you are now trying to compare Stewart to Hartley ???!!!

Hartley may have let his enthusiasm get the better of him of at times but jeez he contributed more in a few games than Stewart has in total.

got sent off in a scottish final ffs, you can't get much worse than that

got sent off in a scottish final ffs, you can't get much worse than that

Scored a hat trick in the semi final in the biggest derby in history ffs, you can't get much better than that :whistling:

rudi must stay
Scored a hat trick in the semi final in the biggest derby in history ffs, you can't get much better than that :whistling:

that wasn't your point ur point was 'he let his enthusiasm get the better of him at times' i agree with you there.

I have always liked Stewart since he made his first debut as a sub while unfit, and I still say he's a good player. But there is a problem just now for a number of weeks he has been playing shocking. First there was his sending off where I know it was harsh but he should'nt be flaying his arms about in the first place. Other players in the team should be taking corners and free kicks because his are poor. What I want is for someone to help him he has problems of some sort do Hearts not have any man-managers to help him.

Charlie-Brown

Comparing Hughes with Palazeulos would be a better comparison as they are both similar type players - who would you rather have?

M.Stewart hasn't been playing well recently but he isn't a bad player although he also isn't as good a player as he thinks he is.

Hearts tried to sign Hughes after Stewart was already signed but couldn't agree contract terms - if he had signed you would think that it would have been Stewart & Hughes and not Stewart or Hughes.

Nucky Thompson
Comparing Hughes with Palazeulos would be a better comparison as they are both similar type players - who would you rather have?

M.Stewart hasn't been playing well recently but he isn't a bad player although he also isn't as good a player as he thinks he is.

Hearts tried to sign Hughes after Stewart was already signed but couldn't agree contract terms - if he had signed you would think that it would have been Stewart & Hughes and not Stewart or Hughes.

Agreed mate:)Rickets legs Hughes or Ruben Palazeulos? mmmmmm... that's a hard choice:sarcasm:

What decision ?

We play Stewart, he is our player. Bad decision at the mo becaue he is struggling, as are all the rest of them.

We cant play Hughes, he is not our player. That was HIS decision not Hearts. Certain players dont want to sign for us (and we all know the reasons) .

We signed 1 of them. The wrong one IN MY OPINION (clearly not yours)

Maybe we should not have signed Stewart but we didnt have a choice in Hughes decision, he decides not us. :wacko:

Dougie Masterton

The one thing that Hughes had going for him last night was movement from his team mates. Hughes couldn't lace Michael Stewarts boots most weeks.

No debate. Palazuelos has class and composure.

Hughes couldn't lace Michael Stewarts boots most weeks.

Aye, very good that's why he's playing a key role in an improving side sitting miles ahead of us in the league whilst Stewart has been consistently ill disciplined and ineffective.

Yep, and this season is just a mirror image of every other after he moves to a new club. Decent start were he is energetic and focused quickly followed by ill discipline and a general maliase in his attitude and all round conribution. Hopefully he will not be here wasting our time and money next season as any manager worth their salt will not put up with his type.

I MIGHT BE BEING A BIT OF THE MARK HERE BUT ISNT IT FUNNY THAT MS WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FESTER Rd REVOLT THEN HOBOS GET RID :mad:

I started a thread in November about Stewart and was roundly criticised...

Anyway, IMO he has had possibly 4 good performances this season, His behaviour at Tannadice was disgraceful (Possibly the most ill disciplined performance I have ever seen) and he should be nowhere near the first team.

Don't get me wrong, If the fecker was half the player he thought he was, he would be worth keeping.

Fact is, He isn't.

Nucky Thompson
Aye, very good that's why he's playing a key role in an improving side sitting miles ahead of us in the league whilst Stewart has been consistently ill disciplined and ineffective.
What do you think of the Hughes/Palazuelos comparison then. Like NMH said, it's a better, closer comparison:cool: Mind you it doesn't suit your agenda though.

Again, I'm not Stewart's biggest fan but I think it's an unfair comparision.

Hughes is playing in a settled team (only 13 players in the SPL!), playing for a club with little issues and under a good manager.

Stewart is playing for a completely unsettled team where there has been complete mayhem for management and it is only now getting (very slowly) a bit better.

Dougie Masterton

Because one is playing in a motivated team, in a stable environment. The other has 4 maybe 5 muppets playing around him.

Stewart is a decent player when played in his correct position. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is but is a far cry from being our worst. When played in an unfamiliar role (ie last night) he is gash. He looked lost. For that you can blame Frail.

Hughes i dont rate highly at all. As some have said he is playing in a settled team where everyone knows their role and the manager has them in a system they are comfortable with. Were he in the Hearts team he would look every bit as bad as Stewart currently does. He hardly kicked a ball at Rangers, couldn't hack it at Leicester and, imo, is fairly lucky to have been rescued by mcghee when his career was going nowhere.

Dont believe the hype about well. Last night, apart from a 5 min spell after the goal, they were worse than us. No shots on target from open play tells its own story. It would seem they have overtaken hibs as the medias new darlings.

Remember that Stewart struggled to get a game when he was at Hearts before so I've no idea why we signed him again. No-one could fault Stewart for effort but he's just not good enough IMO and as soon as the management realise that the better.

Archived