Wireless

Gerd Muller

Gerd Muller

At the moment, I have to put the phone cable into the back on the PC to connect to Internet. This, I feel, is the normal way connecting to the Net. However, my parents have a laptop and want T'internet. I have seen wireless and it seems like it takes ages to connect to the net.

A few questions for you shed people.

How much is it to install wireless?

I'm with Talk Talk, will they provide it for me?

Can my parents laptop connect via Talk Talk too?

Do you recommend wireless?

wireless is great and def not too expensive. My laptop connects automatically when it turns on so no long delays connecting.

Gerd Muller

How can I check to see if my PC is wireless enabled? If it is, I dont need a wireless adapter and would just need a router. Is that correct?

I'm reading a few websites and trying to understand it.

yeah that is right. you will need just the router if is enabled. if not is really easy to get a wireless adapter and they take no time to upload.

Only a Game
At the moment, I have to put the phone cable into the back on the PC to connect to Internet.

Christ I didnt actually know you could STILL do that !!

rambothejambo

Just updated with BT Yahoo broadband which included new hub & hubphone. Piece of **** to set up both my PC's wirelessly, about ?20 a month.

Gerd Muller

Been reading about it and it looks like I can buy a cheap one from ebay. My PC is enabled so can use Wireless, my parents laptop is enabled and I have a Nintento Wii which can be added. Is there a set distance from the router that the PC or Wii needs to be?

Also, is Linksys ADSL2 Wireless router any good?

Miller Jambo 60
Been reading about it and it looks like I can buy a cheap one from ebay. My PC is enabled so can use Wireless, my parents laptop is enabled and I have a Nintento Wii which can be added. Is there a set distance from the router that the PC or Wii needs to be?

Also, is Linksys ADSL2 Wireless router any good?

Its ok bud remember to put a security code on it.

At the moment, I have to put the phone cable into the back on the PC to connect to Internet. This, I feel, is the normal way connecting to the Net. However, my parents have a laptop and want T'internet. I have seen wireless and it seems like it takes ages to connect to the net.

A few questions for you shed people.

How much is it to install wireless?

I'm with Talk Talk, will they provide it for me?

You will be able to install the router yourself so the only costs will be buying the equipment. You could phone Talk Talk up as they provide one for ?30 to new customers but i am sure they will help out existing. That way you will get one already configured to work with their service.

Can my parents laptop connect via Talk Talk too?

Don't see why not, most if not all modern laptops are wireless enabled when bought. If not a simple adapter will do the job.

Do you recommend wireless?

Yes without a doubt, once you are up and running you will wonder how you coped without it.

PsychocAndy

I'm now wi-fi-ed up and it's great to be able to sit in the kitchen, shyt tv programs the wife and kids watch, with the laptop and I'm able to read email in the lavy from my phone.

The only problem I have is downloading things, but thats more than likely my fault, as I'm 43 and new to these magic boxes.

:confused:

Gerd Muller

Update, bought Netgear Wireles Router. Looks the business. However, I think its my computer. Totally confused where all the cables go. I have the Speedtouch box that the phone cable goes into. I have the Ethernet cable from Router into back on PC. I thought that was it. No?

I dont think my pc is wireless enabled. Do I just get one of those USB wireless cards?

Update, bought Netgear Wireles Router. Looks the business. However, I think its my computer. Totally confused where all the cables go. I have the Speedtouch box that the phone cable goes into. I have the Ethernet cable from Router into back on PC. I thought that was it. No?

I dont think my pc is wireless enabled. Do I just get one of those USB wireless cards?

Your PC doesn't need to be 'wireless enabled' if it is connecting directly to your wireless router via a cable. Only your parents laptop needs to be wireless enabled.

You should have the cable that you used to connect from the old (non-wireless) router going directly into the wireless router. Then you should have another cable going from the wireless router in to the back of your PC.

That way your connection will be shared with your parents laptop.

connect-wireless-router.jpg

I P Knightley
I'm now wi-fi-ed up and it's great to be able to sit in the kitchen, shyt tv programs the wife and kids watch, with the laptop and I'm able to read email in the lavy from my phone.

The only problem I have is downloading things, but thats more than likely my fault, as I'm 43 and new to these magic boxes.

:confused:

That's torn it.

I was using "Being 43" as an excuse not to sort myself out with wireless.

Time to take the plunge...

:scared:

Gerd Muller
Your PC doesn't need to be 'wireless enabled' if it is connecting directly to your wireless router via a cable. Only your parents laptop needs to be wireless enabled.

You should have the cable that you used to connect from the old (non-wireless) router going directly into the wireless router. Then you should have another cable going from the wireless router in to the back of your PC.

That way your connection will be shared with your parents laptop.

connect-wireless-router.jpg

An ethernet cable or a black phoneline cable?

Gerd Muller

25232c80e009f608074db85ffaaa9409s.jpg

I have this. Do i need this anymore? I'm not understanding where the cables go. I have an ethernet cable. The back of the router has an internet port and 4 LAN ports. I now have a USB Wireless Adapter too. Help needed.

You really should have bought a combined modem/router. Saves having 2 boxes hooked up when 1 could do the job. Apart from that your modem will not connect to your router so it is a waste of time trying. You need to take the router back and get a ADSL modem/router. Have a look at the link below and pick one of those if you want to stick with Netgear.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php

Pity you are in Fife or i would be happy to pop round and sort if for you. Should take 10mins Max to get up and running.

I P Knightley
25232c80e009f608074db85ffaaa9409s.jpg

I have this. Do i need this anymore? I'm not understanding where the cables go. I have an ethernet cable. The back of the router has an internet port and 4 LAN ports. I now have a USB Wireless Adapter too. Help needed.

I'm feeling your pain, Gerd.

Hang in there - I'm sure you'll pull through.

Gerd Muller

feck. right, This is the one I got. Netgear, WGR614 v6. Am about to throw the thing against the wall. So Dazo, cant see if this thing is Modem/Router in one.

angry.gif

Stuart Lyon

When I got my first router (BT Voyager) it came with instructions that claimed it was easy to set-up. After several frustrating attempts I bit the bullet and paid someone to install it for me. This easy to set-up router took 2 guys almost an hour to fathom out! Good luck Gerd.

Gerd Muller
When I got my first router (BT Voyager) it came with instructions that claimed it was easy to set-up. After several frustrating attempts I bit the bullet and paid someone to install it for me. This easy to set-up router took 2 guys almost an hour to fathom out! Good luck Gerd.

I'm about crying but........ I think it could be that the router I got was just a router and not a modem aswell. Spoke to a few mates, who seem to have a joint one who will lend me theirs.

Honestly on the instructions, it mentions 4 easy steps! :confused: EASY! hardest thing I've done all year!!:mad:

feck. right, This is the one I got. Netgear, WGR614 v6. Am about to throw the thing against the wall. So Dazo, cant see if this thing is Modem/Router in one.

angry.gif

Mate put it back in its box and take it back. it is not going to work with the setup you have. Depending on where you bought it they might not take it back.

Only other solution is to go to PC world or similar and a ethernet modem. This will allow you to hook the modem up to the router have bought. Netgear do one model number: DM111P again though you will be using 2 boxes to do 1 job.

Gerd Muller
Mate put it back in its box and take it back. it is not going to work with the setup you have. Depending on where you bought it they might not take it back.

Only other solution is to go to PC world or similar and a ethernet modem. This will allow you to hook the modem up to the router have bought. Netgear do one model number: DM111P again though you will be using 2 boxes to do 1 job.

Thanks for the info mate, thought I was pretty clued up with the technology these days and thought I could have just plugged it in. My mate has one that a joint Router ADSL thingy so will try that over the weekend. I have a Nintendo Wii and play some games online at my girlfriends house and want that in my house as mentioned in the OP.

I actually bought it from ebay but can always sell it on. If the one I bought is no use, who would it be useful too? Surely now everyone is Broadband which uses ADSL?

Thanks for the info mate, thought I was pretty clued up with the technology these days and thought I could have just plugged it in. My mate has one that a joint Router ADSL thingy so will try that over the weekend. I have a Nintendo Wii and play some games online at my girlfriends house and want that in my house as mentioned in the OP.

I actually bought it from ebay but can always sell it on. If the one I bought is no use, who would it be useful too? Surely now everyone is Broadband which uses ADSL?

If your sticking with Netgear i would get the DG834N, DG834PN or the cheaper DG834GT. All 1 box solutions for what you want to do.

The one you have bought is ideal for Cable(Virgin/NTL/Telewest) users and will work perfectly with their modems. Someone on JKB may have a use for it. ;)

I P Knightley
I'm about crying but........ I think it could be that the router I got was just a router and not a modem aswell. Spoke to a few mates, who seem to have a joint one who will lend me theirs.

Honestly on the instructions, it mentions 4 easy steps! :confused: EASY! hardest thing I've done all year!!:mad:

1. Open box, lay out contents & read first few lines of instructions
  2. Get onto JKB asking for help
  3. Receive lots of help which appears to be given in a foreign (different planet) language
  4. Open some beer and leave things as they were

done!

Gerd Muller
  1. Open box, lay out contents & read first few lines of instructions
  2. Get onto JKB asking for help
  3. Receive lots of help which appears to be given in a foreign (different planet) language
  4. Open some beer and leave things as they were

done!

Are you spying on me? :)

I'm on my 6th bottle of Michelob!

Archived