Masterchef

WSTR

New series started last night. What did everybody think?

Felt bad for the college tutor that couldn't pull off a blue steak with peppercorn sauce and then served them raw pigeon :rofl:

Also, that had to have been the worst 'brittle' ever on that sticky toffee pudding, the thing was like a paving slab and I'm surprised they never commented on it.

Special shout out to Bobby who had never cooked his 'signature dish' for anybody before - and that tan :facepalm:

New series started last night. What did everybody think?

Felt bad for the college tutor that couldn't pull off a blue steak with peppercorn sauce and then served them raw pigeon :rofl:

Also, that had to have been the worst 'brittle' ever on that sticky toffee pudding, the thing was like a paving slab and I'm surprised they never commented on it.

Special shout out to Bobby who had never cooked his 'signature dish' for anybody before - and that tan :facepalm:

That college tutor might get sacked after that.

He was hopeless and his bosses must be thinking wtf.  :laugh:

If you like masterchef, then you should watch the Australian version. It's the best version I've seen. [emoji106]

Correct, once you watch the Australian version you will watch no other Masterchef.

Riddley Walker

If you like masterchef, then you should watch the Australian version. It's the best version I've seen. [emoji106]

Definitely. I can't watch UK Masterchefs anymore. Might get involved in the UK professionals though, always thought it was more enjoyable anyway.

As for the US Masterchef, all the facepalms in the world wouldn't do that horror-show justice.

The Australian version is unbearably cheesy.

The UK did change the format to something similar to the Australian version.

It tanked and millions of viewers turned off. 

We already have X-Factor in this country and did not need to see it done with food.

The BBC changed Masterchef back to the proper format.

That Limahl look-alike college tutor from Dundee was hilariously bad, as was the lassie.

These are meant to be professional chefs FFS.

The_razors_edge

Like others have said I struggle to watch the UK version (professional and amateur) after watching masterchef Australia for the last 5 years. The U.K. one really needs someone like Marco Pierre White to oversee it. Marcus wareing (came across well on this years masterchef Australia) is an improvement on John torode but that Monica bird is a sour faced bint and as much as I don't mind gregg Wallace he isn't really qualified for the gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like others have said I struggle to watch the UK version (professional and amateur) after watching masterchef Australia for the last 5 years. The U.K. one really needs someone like Marco Pierre White to oversee it. Marcus wareing (came across well on this years masterchef Australia) is an improvement on John torode but that Monica bird is a sour faced bint and as much as I don't mind gregg Wallace he isn't really qualified for the gig.

But, then again, MPW is 100%, pure, unrefined, unadulterated, unfiltered, free-range, walloper. Would never watch it at all if that erse was anywhere near it.

Master chef Australia is awful!  IMO

Good!  Was saying to the other half that if the UK brought in a style similar to the Aussie version it'd be painful.

The_razors_edge

But, then again, MPW is 100%, pure, unrefined, unadulterated, unfiltered, free-range, walloper. Would never watch it at all if that erse was anywhere near it.

Fair enough, I like him.

The Australian version is unbearably cheesy.

Yeah my wife loves it but it's incredibly cheesy.

The other problem is the team challenge format means that crap cooks can coast along late into the tournament and the pressure test means that you can go out trying to copy some insane recipe instead of putting up your own best food

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

jambos are go!

We already have X-Factor in this country and did not need to see it done with food.

The BBC changed Masterchef back to the proper format.

That Limahl look-alike college tutor from Dundee was hilariously bad, as was the lassie.

These are meant to be professional chefs FFS.

Agree. Some embarassing errors. A professional chef who does not know that you never use any yolk in a meringue is unbelievable. They should only have put two through IMO.

Prefer My Kitchen Rules to any Masterchef these days.

Starts off like Come Dine with Me with Judges then moves onto the Kitchen and Restaurant challenges with knock out rounds/playoffs!

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Cringed for the SCottish boy, how he can ever go back to his job is beyond me!

I only ever really watch the pro one and it always amazes me the guys on it who cannae cook! I could cook some of the dishes better!

Stopped watching the UK one when it went all x factor.

Me too. And Michel Roux leaving and being replaced by that tit Marcus Waring (great chef though he undoubtedly is) wasn't going to entice me back.

I've become strangely addicted to cookery programmes lately. Watching Rachel Allen whip up a pavlova in her tight jeans is immensely gratifying. Rachel Khoo also has an endearing cooking style, and don't get me started on Nigella!

I've become strangely addicted to cookery programmes lately. Watching Rachel Allen whip up a pavlova in her tight jeans is immensely gratifying. Rachel Khoo also has an endearing cooking style, and don't get me started on Nigella!

Rachel Khoo is lovely.

Haven't seen Gizzi Erskine around for a while.

Another fine looking woman.

Nigella was getting slagged-off last week because one of her recipes was mashed, spiced, and seasoned avocado on toast. "Too simple", "anyone could do that", and "that's not a recipe", seemed to be the main complaints. All the moaners were completely missing the point, however: the scene was feck-all to do with whatever food she was preparing and everything to do with focussing on her tightly-ensweatered chebs. And quite right too.

Ching-He Huang is also lovely.

Can't stand her. Fair play to her though for campaigning against shark meat

I had a friend who came 3rd (maybe 4th) in the very first season of Australian Masterchef.  

He kept to his part of the (very) one-sided media contract he signed, but once that lapsed he could tell some very interesting stories about how they make the program.  Nothing outrageous or dodgy, but interesting nonetheless if you watched the show.  He got a lot of stick in magazines like Womens Day for being friendly with one of the girls in the show, even though he had just got married.  It was genuinely platonic, but it is amazing how media organisations can create something out of nothing to develop on-screen tension and sell magazines.

Aussie Masterchef is the most slickly edited and produced show on TV here.  Almost nothing is real.

The right people went through tonight. I have sympathy for them having to do those skill tests - especially if it's something you've never heard of... or pastry.

God I hate pastry.

Agree. Some embarassing errors. A professional chef who does not know that you never use any yolk in a meringue is unbelievable. They should only have put two through IMO.

wait is this a joke?  there was a  chef on the show that never knew this?  i have never made the best meringue, and while i'm not a pro chef but definitely i suppose,  a cook, even i know this.  thats pretty shabby

wait is this a joke?  there was a  chef on the show that never knew this?  i have never made the best meringue, and while i'm not a pro chef but definitely i suppose,  a cook, even i know this.  thats pretty shabby

He knew. Nerves got to him, he tried to pick it out and when he thought he'd gotten it all he started whipping. By the time he realised it was too late. He also burnt his caramel so ended up just serving a bowl of custard :lol: which I thought was amusing.

Had never heard of the omelette fish dish they had to make, would love to try it, anybody seen it on a breakfast menu in Edinburgh?

Its the so called chefs who fail to season their food that annoys me. Seasoning is the fecking basics if you can't get that right then forget it.

last night was a crock of sheit and I was surprised as I hadn't noticed it in any other episode I've seen. girl comes on, do you know what an Arnold Bennett omelette is a.no ok heres the ingredients on you go, verdict, its a frittata as you put it under the grill.

guy on next, same question bla,bla,bla a.I don't know what it is, so then they TELL him what it is and what to do, he cooks away, puts it under the grill, verdict wunderbar/fantastique/magnifico.

was this run by BBC Scotland, in that selective way they have of reporting the hun news.

The_razors_edge

I had a friend who came 3rd (maybe 4th) in the very first season of Australian Masterchef.

He kept to his part of the (very) one-sided media contract he signed, but once that lapsed he could tell some very interesting stories about how they make the program. Nothing outrageous or dodgy, but interesting nonetheless if you watched the show. He got a lot of stick in magazines like Womens Day for being friendly with one of the girls in the show, even though he had just got married. It was genuinely platonic, but it is amazing how media organisations can create something out of nothing to develop on-screen tension and sell magazines.

Aussie Masterchef is the most slickly edited and produced show on TV here. Almost nothing is real.

Chris? Had a beard and liked to wear funky hats?

All roads lead to Gorgie

That college tutor might get sacked after that.

He was hopeless and his bosses must be thinking wtf.  :laugh:

Poor guy but I shudder to think what kind of students he will release on the hungry public. I often think self taught chefs or ones that learned on the job are the best and they are more creative not churning out identikit dishes all the time.

Didn't think Bobby would last long :lol:

I actually thought Marcus was going to smack him in the mouth for that deconstructed chicken pie (dry chicken breast, two strips of undercooked pastry, three bits of broccoli and a jug of white sauce)

And as for the Geordie lad with the mousse that had frozen solid in the blast chiller and the sorbet that hadn't set in the normal freezer.......

:gok:

Jesus wept, these people are supposed to cook for a living.

They couldn't even handle a wee bit of welsh rarebit with a fried egg on top!

:cornette:

Quite like the boy from Moray who was on last night, getting some really good praise, he looked a bit like Michael Stewart

So far this year we've seen broken up honeycomb on duck, lamb and fish.

Must be this year's stupid fad along the lines of the foams and smears that we've had to endure for the past few years.

Arnold Rothstein

Must be this year's stupid fad along the lines of the foams and smears that we've had to endure for the past few years.

Bring back soils!

fabienleclerq

The standard of some of the "chefs" in this has been horrendous, I can only imagine they've let them through in an xfactor bloopers kind of way.

Anybody been watching Kitchen Impossible on Channel 4 with Michel Roux Jr.Its about trying to get people with disabilities a job in the food industry.

Cant help but to be anything but rooting for them all to succeed.Funny heart warming stuff some real characters on it.Its on All4 if anybody needs to catch up with it.

That sabayon test was a bit unfair, and a lot harder than the scallop test. At least you can wing Scallop 3 ways - or at least have some creative license - unlike a sabayon.

You can make many different flavoured foams, and smears are just sauces with a spoon dragged through :lol:

Honeycomb however, is honeycomb, and apart from Duck I can't see how it will go with anything. And if you served it with Duck it would have to be a background flavour unlike they guy on Tuesday who had honey all over the bit :lol:

It's not even honeycomb they're making, it's cinder toffee. Sugar, water and bicarb soda. Yuk

Anybody been watching Kitchen Impossible on Channel 4 with Michel Roux Jr.Its about trying to get people with disabilities a job in the food industry.

Cant help but to be anything but rooting for them all to succeed.Funny heart warming stuff some real characters on it.Its on All4 if anybody needs to catch up with it.

Saw the 1st ep and really enjoyed it. Should be more done to get people with these kinds of difficulties into work!

maroonlegions

Love it when the contestants are flung into a professional kitchen, shown how to do either starters, mains or desserts, then told it's 100 for lunch and get pumped full of orders for their particular dish.. :laugh4:

Also you can sense the head chef of these places shoiting it. :laugh4:

I can fully understand the stress and nervousness of working in a professional kitchen as i was one for years, nothing can compensate that understanding if you have never worked in one.   

Love the skills test set out by Marcus Wareing and Monica Galetti , know where  to hide if you don't know it, the sabayon with fruit  test was painful to watch, it was one of the first  i learned at college and one i did several times even as a commis chef.

The confidant cocky lad looks the real real though , in it to win it i feel.

Love it when the contestants are flung into a professional kitchen, shown how to do either starters, mains or desserts, then told it's 100 for lunch and get pumped full of orders for their particular dish.. :laugh4:

Also you can sense the head chef of these places shoiting it. :laugh4:

I can fully understand the stress and nervousness of working in a professional kitchen as i was one for years, nothing can compensate that understanding if you have never worked in one.

Love the skills test set out by Marcus Wareing and Monica Galetti , know where to hide if you don't know it, the sabayon with fruit test was painful to watch, it was one of the first i learned at college and one i did several times even as a commis chef.

The confidant cocky lad looks the real real though , in it to win it i feel.

College has changed. I never once made a sabayon. Only made a bechamel twice aswell. It's a lot more textbook based now. We only needed to do 3 dishes in each section - of which there were 9. That's 27 dishes to pass, and we did about 3 dishes a week. It was awful.

The standard of some of the "chefs" in this has been horrendous, I can only imagine they've let them through in an xfactor bloopers kind of way.

I only watch it for the feck ups. Some of those chefs are so bad they make me look shit hot. And believe me I am a crap cook.

edit: I can make bread though I'm quite good tbh :smug:

fabienleclerq

What do the fully trained chefs think about the self taught chefs, is it possible or is it just wrong?

Of course it's possible, cooking a all about being creative and not being afraid to fail. For me the big difference is when they hit the real kitchens and have to learn to time four or five covers upwards and then you see the difference.

Sometimes they have the advantage of not being taught the same way as trained chefs.

Archived