Joel Griffiths - Aussie striker on radar?

maroonedinoz

maroonedinoz

Tomorrow Australia play Iraq in the qualifying rounds of the World Cup in Brisbane.

Playing up front will be Australia's A League top scorer, Joel Griffiths.

Griffiths is only about 25, has had spells wiht Leeds and in Japan and as I say was top scorer in the A League here last season.

Hearts could do a lot worse than sign him, and I reckon he'd jump at the chance to return to central Europe - apparently he has had offers to do so from Turkey and eastern Europe but doesn't fancy living in Turkey or Bulgaria!

Seen highlights of the A League this season on sky and was impressed with what I saw from Griffiths, there were another few players who impressed me, names escape me, but I don't know whether we can expect the current owner to sign players unless they're from Eastern Europe. I hope I am wrong, but wouldn't bet on it.

Shotgun-Boogie

Joel would do the Biz. So would Archie Thompson in my view. The A League is increasing its standard year on year.

Charlie-Brown

Hearts seem to be targeting Aussie players in the age bracket 16-20 & thus far we have signed Matty Park, Rocco Visconte as well as Ryan McGowan who made his debut recently and also his younger brother Dylan.

maroonedinoz
Griffiths had the chance to sign for Hearts previously but chose Leeds Utd instead.

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Hearts-want-Beslija.2740222.jp

Not exactly the way I read it.

The article says..."Joel Griffiths, the Australian international midfielder who had been heading for a week's trial with Hearts, has joined Leeds instead."

I think any player who had the option of signing a contract for what was then a chamionship side, or playing a week's trial with an SPL side with no guarantee that a contract would be subsequently forthcoming, would opt for the former.

maybe time not to 'trial' him, but simply to sign him. And the article is wrong..he's not a midfielder, he's a striker

maroonedinoz
Hearts seem to be targeting Aussie players in the age bracket 16-20 & thus far we have signed Matty Park, Rocco Visconte as well as Ryan McGowan who made his debut recently and also his younger brother Dylan.

I follow Aussie fitba quite closely and I can honestly say that I have never heard of any of the players you have mentioned.

I follow Aussie fitba quite closely and I can honestly say that I have never heard of any of the players you have mentioned.

Because they were signed at Hearts maybe 2-3 years ago, when maybe 15/16.

They can bring in any amount of young players they want, they'll never get a chance, look what happened with Kostadinov,Copil and Templeton to name a few, wasn't Copil supposed to be in the top 50 best young players in the world, according to some article a few months back? If he was that good, he'd walk right into the team but like I say, they don't get a chance,that includes experienced players too like Makela and Beslija

Charlie-Brown

I think they kids had scholarships at the South Australia Institute for Sport ie they were 'elite' kids and also 1 or 2 of them played for some team called Para-Hills but I don't know if that's a youth team or an amatuer or pro-club etc.

They can bring in any amount of young players they want, they'll never get a chance, look what happened with Kostadinov,Copil and Templeton to name a few, wasn't Copil supposed to be in the top 50 best young players in the world, according to some article a few months back? If he was that good, he'd walk right into the team but like I say, they don't get a chance,that includes experienced players too like Makela and Beslija

Templeton? A successful loan period and now knocking at the door of the first team.

Branny and Copil haven't shown it at U19 level and quite rightly are not getting a look in.

Where do Gary Glen, Jamie Mole, Andy Driver, Eggy Jonnson, Jason Thomson and Lee Wallace fit into your theories?

Templeton? A successful loan period and now knocking at the door of the first team.

Branny and Copil haven't shown it at U19 level and quite rightly are not getting a look in.

Where do Gary Glen, Jamie Mole, Andy Driver, Eggy Jonnson, Jason Thomson and Lee Wallace fit into your theories?

Glen's got plenty of promise and is a crackin prospect, Jamie Mole can't cut it, he didn't even play that many games on loan and they were happy to send him back, Driver's worth holding on to and Jonsson, Thomson...i'm not sure about, don't think he's any better than Neilson and that guy gets some stick from some fans,Lee Wallace can't pass or cross and loses the ball far too easily for me, I notice you didn't even mention Elliot! Going back to the point I was making, if I thought I was good enough, i'd expect at least a place on the bench,I don't think any of them even have, I'd be a wee bit peeed off if I was watching Pilibaitis,Ivaskevicius, Ksanavicius, Elliot, even Miko at times to name a few getting in ahead of me and not really justifying why they've been chosen, no wonder Copil done a runner, that's all I was meaning.

Does it really matter who is available or who 'would do us a turn'. Until we get a manager in nothing will happen. We can speculate all we want, but until we have a gaffer no decisions will be made. The longer we wait, the less likely we are to get any quality players.:sad:

Guest casper
Not sure he has the balls for the SPL.

A real player, like miko, would have pushed the linesman there.

Whimp.

uniwildcat38
Not sure he has the balls for the SPL.

At least he can teach Miko how to assult a linesman without getting suspended (if I recall correctly he was given a yellow card by the ref, and therefore no further penalty could be imposed on him).

Seen highlights of the A League this season on sky and was impressed with what I saw from Griffiths, there were another few players who impressed me, names escape me, but I don't know whether we can expect the current owner to sign players unless they're from Eastern Europe. I hope I am wrong, but wouldn't bet on it.

:confused:

Kingston - Ghana

Pinilla - Chile

Screpis - Argentina

Camazolla - Brazil

Bruno - Spain

Nade - France

I've probably left a few out, but I think your being a little melodramatic

:confused:

Kingston - Ghana

Pinilla - Chile

Screpis - Argentina

Camazolla - Brazil

Bruno - Spain

Nade - France

I've probably left a few out, but I think your being a little melodramatic

Bruno is Portuguese.

Ruben is Spanish.

Tomorrow Australia play Iraq in the qualifying rounds of the World Cup in Brisbane.

Playing up front will be Australia's A League top scorer, Joel Griffiths.

Griffiths is only about 25, has had spells wiht Leeds and in Japan and as I say was top scorer in the A League here last season.

Hearts could do a lot worse than sign him, and I reckon he'd jump at the chance to return to central Europe - apparently he has had offers to do so from Turkey and eastern Europe but doesn't fancy living in Turkey or Bulgaria!

I watched the game and one of the commentators made references to Scottish football from time to time when McDonald was mentioned. Twice he said "you might get away with that in Scotland" then something about using your elbows in Scotland and finally when they talked about Kewell looking for a club they noted the teams interested (allegedly) inc Smeltic and this guy said "with the greatest respect I cant see a player like Kewell in Scotland" and something about the standard. He may or may not be right but I have held the belief that the game in England aint as good as made out and it aint as bad as they make out up here but wondered who he was and if he actually has experience of Scottish football.

Griffiths had the chance to sign for Hearts previously but chose Leeds Utd instead.

http://sport.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Hearts-want-Beslija.2740222.jp

Yep, you've got to laugh, he was at the airport was he not, on his way to sign for us and then....got a phonecall and changed his mind...:o

We've either got to close airports or ban mobile phones of our targets...

Yep, you've got to laugh, he was at the airport was he not, on his way to sign for us and then....got a phonecall and changed his mind...:o

We've either got to close airports or ban mobile phones of our targets...

I can imagine the call, ROMANOV: yes, i know you've agreed to join Hearts but go to terminal 3, look for flights directing you to Lithuania, you will be met by one of my henchmen an driven to a place called Kaunas, there you will sign! Now we know what REALLY happened with Mark McGhee!! ;)

Archived