"Atmosphere" at the Allianz

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Thank god the Young Team seem to have failed in importing the "German model" to Tynecastle. Occasionally the tedious drum beats and moronic tuneless chants ceased and you could hear a real football crowd reacting to what was happening on the pitch - appreciation for the good things, groans at the bad. Otherwise the exhibitionists just went on and on with their tedious displays. I doubt they represented more than 5% of the crowd.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Thank got the Young Team seem to have failed in importing the "German model" to Tynecastle. Occasionally the tedious drum beats and moronic tuneless chants ceased and you could hear a real football crowd reacting to what was happening on the pitch - appreciation for the good things, groans at the bad. Otherwise the exhibitionists just went on and on with their tedious displays. I doubt they represented more than 5% of the crowd.

Totally agree, sometimes the whole "ultra" thing is a bit shit. Detracts from a genuine atmosphere IMO.

Have you noticed another thing Bayern have, it's the fans dressed in white and seated in such a way that they make the T-Mobile logo in the stand. There's something a bit wrong about that.

Atmosphere you hear on the telly depends how mic'd up the crowd are. I wasn't impressed with the German host's audio, was quite low and not very dynamic. 

Francis Albert

Atmosphere you hear on the telly depends how mic'd up the crowd are. I wasn't impressed with the German host's audio, was quite low and not very dynamic.

"Mic'd up"? And how can "audio" be "dynamic". Roaming mics to capture the best of the performance?

I was at a Bayern game three year ago. Was expecting a great atmosphere and it was a bit meh. The only folk making any noise were the ultra section behind the goals and as the op has said it's a bit tedious. It was against Hoffenheim, so I'm sure if it was a bigger game the atmosphere would have been better. No different to a game here. You just can't beat a whole stadium signing.

"Mic'd up"? And how can "audio" be "dynamic". Roaming mics to capture the best of the performance?

The microphones positioned around the stadium. Read about dynamic range here. BT and Sky in the UK have been broadcasting games with 5.1 surround sound so you really hear the stadium atmosphere. The German and Spanish football I watch on Sky and BT isn't usually broadcast in 5.1 because the host TV station didn't do it.

Just saying the atmosphere you hear on the TV isn't always an accurate representation of the atmosphere you hear in the stadium.

Francis Albert

The microphones positioned around the stadium. Read about dynamic range here. BT and Sky in the UK have been broadcasting games with 5.1 surround sound so you really hear the stadium atmosphere. The German and Spanish football I watch on Sky and BT isn't usually broadcast in 5.1 because the host TV station didn't do it.

Just saying the atmosphere you hear on the TV isn't always an accurate representation of the atmosphere you hear in the stadium.

Thanks for the lesson. I have experienced the "German model" in person quite a few times and tonight the TV presentation seemed a pretty accurate reflection of reality. Two or three thousand in even a 60,000 crowd can dominate in terms of noise if sufficiently organised. I find that sort of orchestrated atmosphere a bit depressing, and headache inducing. However "dynamic" the mic's are.

Thanks for the lesson. I have experienced the "German model" in person quite a few times and tonight the TV presentation seemed a pretty accurate reflection of reality. Two or three thousand in even a 60,000 crowd can dominate in terms of noise if sufficiently organised. I find that sort of orchestrated atmosphere a bit depressing, and headache inducing. However "dynamic" the mic's are.

Curry wurst and gluhwein add to the occassion though imo.

portobellojambo1

Is that because the other 50 odd thousand can then fart in time with the drumbeat, or have I not quite got to grips with this whole ultras pish stuff.

Is that because the other 50 odd thousand can then fart in time with the drumbeat, or have I not quite got to grips with this whole ultras pish stuff.

We'll make an ultra out of you yet.

I was at the 5-1 Bayern v Wolfsburg game and the atmosphere was incredible. First time I've had the hairs on my neck stand up not involving Hearts.

Having been a season ticket holder at Tynecastle for the vast majority of the last 20 years and had the opportunity to catch a few continental matches in that time, I would say that Hearts fans complaining the atmosphere tonight is 'fake' or 'unnatural' are like blind men complaining about the problems that come with sight. This 'model' is present in every country in Europe, at virtually every club, but we they all have an 'unnatural' atmosphere while the silence we have 95% of the time is original in some way? Nonsense.

Nelly Terraces

People who'd prefer a morgue like Tynecastle rather than people making a bit of a racket in support of their side.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

Having been a season ticket holder at Tynecastle for the vast majority of the last 20 years and had the opportunity to catch a few continental matches in that time, I would say that Hearts fans complaining the atmosphere tonight is 'fake' or 'unnatural' are like blind men complaining about the problems that come with sight. This 'model' is present in every country in Europe, at virtually every club, but we they all have an 'unnatural' atmosphere while the silence we have 95% of the time is original in some way? Nonsense.

I didn't want to give this thread any breath but you've summed it up perfectly.

I can only think the op and his advocaters are either at it, or on it!

Doctor FinnBarr

I'll give you the curry wurst but gluhwein....nah

Anything is better than a home game at tynecastle these days. Theres not even a fake atmosphere like last night nothing. You can hear the players talking to each other its pretty tragic given its nearly full every week.

Rudolf's Mate

People who'd prefer a morgue like Tynecastle rather than people making a bit of a racket in support of their side.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

This!

Bundesliga atmosphere is brilliant.

Bayern atmosphere doesn't reflect true German atmosphere.

Just like Old Trafford or the Emirates doesn't reflect the entire English game.

Bayern have all the cash, and subsequently have a lot of plastic fans.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

You are of course correct I do though hate all that ooooooo, oooooo, ooooooo that is prevalent these days. Does my f****** nut in. Palace are the worst I've heard in the UK.

This!

Bundesliga atmosphere is brilliant.

Chatted to some St Pauli fans from Hamburg on train on their way to Celtic Park on Saturday

they were saying they went to Tottenham last year and atmosphere was shit. I had to tell them not to expect anything better from Celtic fans. They were a bit surprised.

Bayern atmosphere doesn't reflect true German atmosphere.

Just like Old Trafford or the Emirates doesn't reflect the entire English game.

Bayern have all the cash, and subsequently have a lot of plastic fans.

Who does reflect the English game best, do you think?

Son Of Anarchy

My son and I intend to go to a Dortmund game early next year. The choice was mostly down to atmosphere. Love a stadium that's bouncing.

Who does reflect the English game best, do you think?

Englands a funny one to be honest. Since the introduction of all seater stadiums the atmosphere at games seems to have gone a lot flatter.

Prices don't exactly help either. I don't think nowadays in England there is a 'typical English atmosphere'.

Clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and others who have large fanbases but play in lower divisions can generate great atmospheres.

Of course, Crystal Palace are a stand out in the BPL for an ultra like atmosphere, something quite unique at that level. But a lot of clubs in the lower and non league divisions have tried to do similar things.

I don't think there is a typical English atmosphere, and I don't think it'd be fair to diss a lot of clubs down south with good, loud, passionate supports, just cos Chelsea and Arsenal fans barely sing.

Scotland is the same. We know just how great an atmosphere Tynecastle can be, but it's not a true reflection of support in Scotland.

Englands a funny one to be honest. Since the introduction of all seater stadiums the atmosphere at games seems to have gone a lot flatter.

Prices don't exactly help either. I don't think nowadays in England there is a 'typical English atmosphere'.

Clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and others who have large fanbases but play in lower divisions can generate great atmospheres.

Of course, Crystal Palace are a stand out in the BPL for an ultra like atmosphere, something quite unique at that level. But a lot of clubs in the lower and non league divisions have tried to do similar things.

I don't think there is a typical English atmosphere, and I don't think it'd be fair to diss a lot of clubs down south with good, loud, passionate supports, just cos Chelsea and Arsenal fans barely sing.

Scotland is the same. We know just how great an atmosphere Tynecastle can be, but it's not a true reflection of support in Scotland.

Aye, all good points and sorry I didn;t mean to put you on the spot!

I prefer Scottish (and British?) atmosphere as people only really start singing if something happens. I like to hear the individual shouts during a boring game, the sound of the crowd swelling after a shot or tackle, and even the sound of 10 away fans singing away and enjoying their day out.

Whether monotonous chanting that seems to be the european tradition would appeal to me, I doubt it would. Although I've never been to a game in Germany or the like and am basing this on watching these games on tv. Maybe if I go I'll be converted to the gorgie ultras/young team.  

I prefer Scottish (and British?) atmosphere as people only really start singing if something happens. I like to hear the individual shouts during a boring game, the sound of the crowd swelling after a shot or tackle, and even the sound of 10 away fans singing away and enjoying their day out.

Whether monotonous chanting that seems to be the european tradition would appeal to me, I doubt it would. Although I've never been to a game in Germany or the like and am basing this on watching these games on tv. Maybe if I go I'll be converted to the gorgie ultras/young team.  

Agree with that. There is also a spontaneous humour with British crowds that you can't get with non-stop ultra style chanting.

Polish Atmosphere is.something to behold.

9k in a 44k stadium and noise was deafening. Always associate good crowds with German clubs as.Schalke were pretty something 11 years ago, cant remember Stuttgart as much but still quite good.

John mcCartney

la liga is the one for me

vicente calderon,mastia,ramon sanchez

all em birds n all

you can take all the methane from your curry wursts and beer and the explosion will not match the level of energy and intensity at one of the above at a top fixture

Took in Stuttgart vs FC K?ln at the start of the season and the atmosphere pre-game there was better than any I've ever seen.

Inside was also electric. Loved it.

Bazzas right boot

I was at a game there.

Brilliant atmosphere, singing the whole game.

The stadium announce's the first names of the players and the crowd shout the surname...

Number 9 luca

Toniiiiiiiiiiii gets shouted bacjk.

Beer served while we sat down and watched.

Fantastin

Francis Albert

The much derided arsenal and their fans did the surname response thing a couple of seasons ago. contrived and cheesy so they stopped doing it. read the thread about great goal celebrations to understand what real atmosphere is. The bayern arsenal game was superb with great football but there would have been a very similar atmosphere for a boring goalless draw. real atmosphere is related in some way to the occasion and what is happening on the pitch. otherwise it's www or now wwe type atmosphere.

Archived