Jamie Walker"s Grandad; R.I.P.

maroonlegions

RIP, a great Hearts fan I am sure. But a minutes applause for a player's grandfather?

Indeed

Where does it stop - doesn't make him any more special just before he is a relative of a player

RIP to him though

oh ah grantona

RIP, a great Hearts fan I am sure. But a minutes applause for a player's grandfather?

Just clap for 90 mins now and cover everyone. Its sad and thoughts with family but for me deaths in football should only be remembered in football.

People will say im wrong and inconsiderate but death is part of life sad but move on

RIP

and also a fantastic coffin buried in Tynecastle

Minutes silence at the opening home game for all supporters who have died over the past year is the way to go. Getting a bit much all this now.

Minutes silence at the opening home game for all supporters who have died over the past year is the way to go. Getting a bit much all this now.

Yes or even at the end of the final game of the season

Nice touch and a good Jambo but think it would be a bit unnecessary and maybe unfair. He died through natural causes as far as I know and bear in mind Morgaro Gomis just lost his father then it might seem a bit unfair that Jamie Walkers grandad gets some preferential treatment.

Nice touch and a good Jambo but think it would be a bit unnecessary and maybe unfair. He died through natural causes as far as I know and bear in mind Morgaro Gomis just lost his father then it might seem a bit unfair that Jamie Walkers grandad gets some preferential treatment.

Exactly

Someone should maybe ask the person who tweeted the request to remove that...

Just opens a can of worms and where does it end? Every time a player's granddad/uncle die we have an applause?!?????!!!

I've wondered for a while about these applauses. What happens if someone scores?

How funny would it be if the opposition scored!!??

An amazing coffin and sorry for the sad loss and if I get as long a life I'll be a happy man, R.I.P..

Have to agree with previous posters, something at the end of season game similar to what St. Mirren did in the relegation season against us at St. Mirren Park would suffice for this. Dave Mackay and other Club legends etc. still merit a minutes silence or applause because its directly linked to the Club and fans.

dunciboyjambo

Some people need to get a grip on here... Does it really bother you that much to clap for one min at a game to show respect to a players grandad who looks to have been a die hard Jambo? It would be a nice touch to the family and especially Jamie...

It's not as if it's happening every game, let's show some support and respect to the Jambo family..

maroonlegions

Some people need to get a grip on here... Does it really bother you that much to clap for one min at a game to show respect to a players grandad who looks to have been a die hard Jambo? It would be a nice touch to the family and especially Jamie...

It's not as if it's happening every game, let's show some support and respect to the Jambo family..

Correct. Sniff , sniff.

sick.of.romanov

It's starting to get silly now. Whenever a relative or friend passes people are on social media wanting a round of applause. A minute at the last home game of the season and maybe a list of names read out is enough

williejamiesonlesftfoot

I agree. Either way would also cover those who die in the close season.

Last program could have a list on names of folk who have passed away too.

jamboinglasgow

If it was a one off I think people would agree. But it seems every match this season has a minutes applause. If it happens every week it loses what makes it special.

I also agree with the idea of a minute silence/applause at the end of season for all supporters who died in that year (maybe a list in the program.)

If there is an applause I will be thinking of Gomis' Dad too. Hope it doesn't happen.

RIP though.

oh ah grantona

best thing that can happen is JAMIE WALKER pays tribute to his Grandad is by getting on the pitch and scoring a goal or 3

Not in favour of this at all. If you take it to its logical conclusion we could be clapping all game for various people. Family losing loved ones is sad but don't trivialise it by trying to be in vogue with this kind of social conscience.

If we can do it for diehard Jambo fans, why not for one of our best players relatives who also happens to be a fan?

I agree with the applause last game of the season idea though.

It's just a wee clap. No need to get worked up about it.

maroonlegions

End of the day if it happens then i would imagine that the majority of the fans will take part, those billeting it can join in too if they wish . :uhoh2:   

End of the day if it happens then i would imagine that the majority of the fans will take part, those billeting it can join in too if they wish . :uhoh2:

Bang on the money

RIP

[emoji307]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must show a photo of the coffin to my family and insist that they DO NOT even consider sending me away in anything ike that.

There I said it,but not for me, sorry.

RIP

Teuchterjambo

I must show a photo of the coffin to my family and insist that they DO NOT even consider sending me away in anything ike that.

There I said it,but not for me, sorry.

RIP

Agree with your sentiments re the coffin and in general where does it all end .... always sad when somebody dies and the family are grieving but this is getting out of hand.

Sorry but this is getting way out of hand now. As previous posters have said and I said on twitter a while back, do what St Mirren do and read out the names at the end of the season. A players grandfather? Seriously, this is way over the top now.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you want to clap, clap, if not, don't. Simple.

Can sometimes lift the atmosphere for a bit anyway, gives people an excuse to make a bit of noise ....

No matter your opinion on minutes applause and the coffin why not keep it too yourself? Jamie Walkers grandfather has passed away, Jamie and his family are grieving, severe lack of respect being shown on this thread.

RIP, amazing coffin.

Appreciate the clapping may give the family some sort of comfort, but the more often it happens the more devalued it is. Quite often fans don't know what or who they are clapping for. The way things are going its going to end up every home game. Personally I think it should be left to the club to decide on when there should be a commemorative clap/silence. Perhaps if it is deemed that the players wear a black band then there should be a silence/applause 

Some extremely disrespectful comments on here.

If you're not for it, why even comment? Let whoever wants to be involved get involved and leave them to it.

Incidentally, I don't think I know a stauncher family of Jambos than the Walkers. John was at the head of that family and couldn't have been any prouder of his grandson. A dream come true. An obituary that invited guests at the funeral to "please wear maroon". Don't see why anyone would have a problem with showing a little respect, even if that meant staying away from the thread to avoid being disrespectful.

The comparisons to Gomis' late father are pretty grim indeed.

New lows set by Kickbacks zoomers.

luckyBatistuta

Don't have a problem with it, but think a program at the last home game specifically for lost Jambos is the way to go. It would be nice little memory for the families to keep and pass on. Proceeds from the sale of these programs could also go to charity. I would definitely buy one.

Don't have a problem with it, but think a program at the last home game specifically for lost Jambos is the way to go. It would be nice little memory for the families to keep and pass on. Proceeds from the sale of these programs could also go to charity. I would definitely buy one.

Even half a page/page in every home match programme for those who have passed away could be one way of recognising 'lost' fans.

Scott Wilson could read out something before kick off for any fan who died. People could applaud to show respect,(or not), and it needn't impact on the game itself.

RIP.

Some extremely disrespectful comments on here.

If you're not for it, why even comment? Let whoever wants to be involved get involved and leave them to it.

Incidentally, I don't think I know a stauncher family of Jambos than the Walkers. John was at the head of that family and couldn't have been any prouder of his grandson. A dream come true. An obituary that invited guests at the funeral to "please wear maroon". Don't see why anyone would have a problem with showing a little respect, even if that meant staying away from the thread to avoid being disrespectful.

The comparisons to Gomis' late father are pretty grim indeed.

New lows set by Kickbacks zoomers.

Spot on.Why some feel the need to post negative comments is beyond me,show some respect ffs.

Francis Albert

Post #40 is the only slightly disrespectful (or slightly tasteless?) post on the thread. Arguing for it on the grounds it lifts the atmosphere and gives an excuse to make some noise?

This.

But I have nothing against a round of applause on 7 mins.

I know its a bit contradictory but hey thats my opinion :)

Also beautiful coffin and condolences to Jamie and his family.

There are situations where it is absolutely the right thing to do, such as a former player/manager/significant person to the club who has died. Even for those who died young and were ST holders, as those around the (formerly) empty seat will obviously be feeling emotional during the first home game.

For a player's grandfather, it is too much. We would be constantly applauding if we did this for everyone who had a relative die. Jamie wearing a black armband would be a good and personal mark of respect.

RIP though, will be a tough time for the Walker's.

Archived