UBER Cabs

hueyview

Apologies if i missed a previous thread on this (went back 5 pages...no mention)  but i see they won their court case in Glasgow earlier this week.  I believe they are about to start up in Edinburgh in the early New Year and wonder how they will do.  I have always found the Black cabs very decent lads, and reliable, but price will dictate how they will cope.

Bridge of Djoum

I use Uber a lot here in NY. It's a very good service, if a tad pricey. The app is easy to use, fully interactive. Also there is no need to tip, or have cash as it bills directly from the payment details you provide at sign-up.

One bad thing for me is the surge pricing. When it gets busy, or if inclement weather comes into play, it can become VERY expensive.

Not sure of other people's experiences in other cities, but I've found Uber pretty handy.

Bridge of Djoum

Never use taxies as they are all a complete rip off.

I always found Glasgow taxi prices very cheap. 

You just use buses then? Transport for peasants! :toff:

I use Uber a lot here in NY. It's a very good service, if a tad pricey. The app is easy to use, fully interactive. Also there is no need to tip, or have cash as it bills directly from the payment details you provide at sign-up.

One bad thing for me is the surge pricing. When it gets busy, or if inclement weather comes into play, it can become VERY expensive.

Not sure of other people's experiences in other cities, but I've found Uber pretty handy.

surprised its dear in NY.....in the uk we are constantly being told it can be 1/3 cheaper.   Can understand prices going up in the rushhour.....must be the first time i have heard of no tipping in the US...thanks mate

My life now revolves between Balgreen and York place ..........Yes i'm a Tramster. :uhoh2:

The bus service in Edinburgh is one of the best in europe so have absoloutly no need to use taxis.

When the rare occurance does happen i find them be ok.

loveofthegame

My mates in London swear by it - used one once in London and cost about 1/3 of what a black cab would have cost for a pretty long journey.

As others have said, price will dictate its success up here.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm not a mug like you.

The bus service in Edinburgh is one of the best in europe so have absoloutly no need to use taxis.

When the rare occurance does happen i find them be ok.

totally agree, the buses cover pretty much all the city and the outskirts. I used a joe today as there were eight of us going to the football, and it worked out cheap.  Going a distance on your own, with your eyes on the meter ticking over can be stressfull.  

Always worry about folk who boast of using taxis all the time, and say how cheap they are.  if you were that minted, surely you'd have a chauffer.......

Bridge of Djoum

I'm not a mug like you.

But I'm a well-off mug.

No need to get personal chief, just a laugh.

The Real Maroonblood

But I'm a well-off mug.

No need to get personal chief, just a laugh.

Fair enough.

I apologise.

My mates in London swear by it - used one once in London and cost about 1/3 of what a black cab would have cost for a pretty long journey.

As others have said, price will dictate its success up here.

Up to a point your correct however the council. and cab office (police) have previously said no to them

Use then in DC when public transport lets me down or I just can be arsed. Faster, cheaper, easier and friendlier than the cabs here, its a really good service.

Ultimately, it's basically just a cab service with a good app for booking and great marketing. The things that make it elsewhere aren't things that I think will prove successful in Edinburgh. Not sure about Glasgow, as I don't know the place well enough.

Ultimately, it's basically just a cab service with a good app for booking and great marketing. The things that make it elsewhere aren't things that I think will prove successful in Edinburgh. Not sure about Glasgow, as I don't know the place well enough.

I disagree. They'll get business in Edinburgh purely on price (with flexibility and speed a bonus) - which would make Glasgow more challenging as cabs there are dirt cheap. I can't wait til ?ber open here: it's the kick up the arse black cabs need.

I have used Uber in a few countries and it is a great service (especially in Asia, where taxis can be a rip-off).

I don't know if it will be as successful in Edinburgh (small city, short distances, decent public transport and taxi service already), but if it works, then great.

I'd recommend it.

I disagree. They'll get business in Edinburgh purely on price (with flexibility and speed a bonus) - which would make Glasgow more challenging as cabs there are dirt cheap. I can't wait til ?ber open here: it's the kick up the arse black cabs need.

Fair enough. I agree that price will be the key, and I am sure some drivers will find the system worthwhile. My main concern would be that in Edinburgh it's often very easy to walk, very easy to get a bus or very easy to get a "normal" taxi, depending on where you want to go. I'm not convinced there will be enough demand for, or viable supply of, something in between.

I've found taxi drivers the world over to be thieving bell ends.

If Uber annoys them, good.

I'll give you a chance to think about what you've posted and hopefully that'll be enough for you to either alter it slightly or even better to delete it

You can call me many things , bell end , one of them but don't ever call me a thief !!!!!!!!

michael_bolton

I'll give you a chance to think about what you've posted and hopefully that'll be enough for you to either alter it slightly or even better to delete it

You can call me many things , bell end , one of them but don't ever call me a thief !!!!!!!!

Read it again, drama queen.

luckyBatistuta

Each to their own, you get what you pay for though. Just don't let your wife or kids get in one alone, if you value their safety.

Read it again, drama queen.

I've read it a couple of times and still read the part that you refer to me ,as a taxi driver , being a thief ,as ive said call me many things but a thief I'm not yet you think I'm wrong to object to that !

michael_bolton

I've read it a couple of times and still read the part that you refer to me ,as a taxi driver , being a thief ,as ive said call me many things but a thief I'm not yet you think I'm wrong to object to that !

You are wrong to object to it.

I've been all over the world. I've found taxi drivers all over the world to be thieving bell ends.

I don't see how you can be offended by experience, but carry on.

luckyBatistuta

The thread is about Uber robster. There is no background checks, so any Tom,Dick or Harry from here or abroad can pick you,your wife and your kids up. The guy could be a murderer,rapist or paedophile for all you know. They have already had sexual assault claims made against them. I don't have any problem with competition in my job, but is it really in the best interest of the public to let just anybody do this job, just to save a couple of pounds.

Oh and I also read it the same as you 3fingers, he also called me a thief. Just ignore him, not worth the air.

So you've been in EVERY taxi all over the world then ? Or are you just making a sweeping generalisation ?

Strange thing is for someone who thinks taxi drivers are thieves you seem to have used a lot of them , must be millions in the world , so I guess that just makes you a ******* arsehole then eh

He didn't say ALL taxi drivers. He said taxi drivers (plural) all over the world are thiefs.

I'd be inclined to agree with him, whilst also being aware many many of them are upstanding citizens and really nice guys.

Uber does have a bad rep with safety checks and the like but I'd be intrigued to see how they do in Edinburgh.

I even wonder how much a driver actually makes - could be a decent side gig.

On the app side, most of the Edinburgh cabs have an app. I have central taxis app on my phone and it works great.

As for the buses comment earlier, for some journeys and areas -buses just can't cut it.

I didn't have the car a few weeks back and a 15 minute journey would have taken over an hour and 2 buses.

He didn't say ALL taxi drivers. He said taxi drivers (plural) all over the world are thiefs.

I'd be inclined to agree with him, whilst also being aware many many of them are upstanding citizens and really nice guys.

The difference being you are able to separate the two , that's all I'm looking at :)

michael_bolton

The difference being you are able to separate the two , that's all I'm looking at :)

So can I. You just don't understand English.

luckyBatistuta

So can I. You just don't understand English.

Think you'll find that's you. So stop trying to be so grandiloquent.

michael_bolton

Think you'll find that's you. So stop trying to be so grandiloquent.

No. There is absolutely no aspect of this that I haven't understood. The same cannot be said for others.

michael_bolton

You know what you meant by it and we also know what you meant by it. Nice moonwalk.

No moonwalk at all. Perfectly comfortable with the original statement. A profession stuffed with charlatans and robbers.

It will be interesting to see who ends up driving the Uber cabs in Edinburgh.  Will it be new folk or folk who previously drove taxi's/buses.  There are fruitcakes in every line of work, hospitals, teaching, ofice work, transport etc...also can they use the bus/taxi lane such as in princes street.....that would be a game changer, say from Haymarket to Abbeyhill in a matter of minutes........

Bridge of Djoum

No moonwalk at all. Perfectly comfortable with the original statement. A profession stuffed with charlatans and robbers.

You really are an embarrassment to yourself.

Uber does have a bad rep with safety checks and the like but I'd be intrigued to see how they do in Edinburgh.

I even wonder how much a driver actually makes - could be a decent side gig.

On the app side, most of the Edinburgh cabs have an app. I have central taxis app on my phone and it works great.

As for the buses comment earlier, for some journeys and areas -buses just can't cut it.

I didn't have the car a few weeks back and a 15 minute journey would have taken over an hour and 2 buses.

Your last paragraph identifies the gap that Uber often fills. Will there be a sweet spot with enough folk who can't be arsed with public transport for such journeys, but don't want to pay normal tax rates, and enough uber drivers willing to do these journeys for significantly less than a cab would charge? Maybe, but I'm not convinced.

luckyBatistuta

You really are an embarrassment to yourself.

He's having an absolute mare BK. The guy doesn't even realise that the prices that black cabs charge are on a meter set by the council and he calls us robbers.

Bridge of Djoum

He's having an absolute mare BK. The guy doesn't even realise that the prices that black cabs charge are on a meter set by the council and he calls us robbers.

TBF, he's consistently having a mare, but he never backs down. Best to ignore him, as I should have done. 

Couldn't help myself!

michael_bolton

There's more to being a thief than the number on the meter.

I've met some decent taxi drivers. It's telling that you remember the decent ones.

luckyBatistuta

:wtf:

Did he pick your pocket. Take your time, so you can make up a really good story for us.

Bridge of Djoum

I've met some decent taxi drivers. It's telling that you remember the decent ones.

You're making an erse of yourself. Just stop.

michael_bolton

:wtf:

Did he pick your pocket. Take your time, so you can make up a really good story for us.

It's really quite simple. There's more than one way to get most places. Taxi drivers tend to try to more expensive one. Easily fixed when you're in a place you know. You call them on it and get it fixed. Not so easy when you're somewhere unfamiliar.

Very easy to be taken advantage of. Especially when you're clearly from out of town. Similar experiences all over the world. Taxi drivers here in KL do it routinely. When you call them on it they always smile and apologise as if they've just remembered you're right and it was all an honest mistake. An honest mistake that happens every time one enters a taxi...

I've had plenty taxi drivers in the UK try that one on me. Then when one goes more international one has the hotel scams with taxi drivers, the gem shop scams, the changing arranged price scams, the switching bank notes scams.

Charlatans and thieves. The world over.

luckyBatistuta

It's really quite simple. There's more than one way to get most places. Taxi drivers tend to try to more expensive one. Easily fixed when you're in a place you know. You call them on it and get it fixed. Not so easy when you're somewhere unfamiliar.

Very easy to be taken advantage of. Especially when you're clearly from out of town. Similar experiences all over the world. Taxi drivers here in KL do it routinely. When you call them on it they always smile and apologise as if they've just remembered you're right and it was all an honest mistake. An honest mistake that happens every time one enters a taxi...

I've had plenty taxi drivers in the UK try that one on me. Then when one goes more international one has the hotel scams with taxi drivers, the gem shop scams, the changing arranged price scams, the switching bank notes scams.

Charlatans and thieves. The world over.

:qqb017:

Archived