Vw emissions,letter through the post

Muppetboy

Go a letter from vw a couple of days ago saying my 4 motion Tiguan tdi is affected and relevant action will be taken in due course. Anyone else had one of these? I've heard a lot of uk owners are after compensation(surprise,surprise) , for what though I'm unsure of. I suppose it will become clearer in time

I got one too. I have no doubt they will rectify it, however from what I've read, the proposed fix may reduce the bhp of the vehicle. So will be keeping a keen eye on developments before I hand mine over.

I got one too. I have no doubt they will rectify it, however from what I've read, the proposed fix may reduce the bhp of the vehicle. So will be keeping a keen eye on developments before I hand mine over.

In theory that affects the finance contract we have,opens up a can of worms in other ways too.

Go a letter from vw a couple of days ago saying my 4 motion Tiguan tdi is affected and relevant action will be taken in due course. Anyone else had one of these? I've heard a lot of uk owners are after compensation(surprise,surprise) , for what though I'm unsure of. I suppose it will become clearer in time

I think the main reason for compensation being sought was that some people will have chosen a VW diesel over other makes of cars based upon the data supplied by VW which made them look better than the other makes of cars and also the resale value of a VW could be effected.  This was what the reasons reported in the US were so I would think the same will apply here in the UK. 

I can understand this reasoning, say you were looking at a VW and some other make of car but chose the VW because it had better emissions than the other car you were looking at, well you buy the VW but now the other car has lower emissions would you not feel duped into buying a car which isn't as good as a rival car was.

Got one the other day for my Passat.

Problem is clearly much bigger than first reported as they initially said only the 14 and 15 plate Passats were going to be affected.

If they bring the emissions down the bhp is dropping too.

**** that.

:lol:

Exactly. Would piss me off a fair bit. The tiguans no slouch but some bhp drop off would be noticeable

King Of The Cat Cafe

Can I stop paying VW finance on the grounds that I was misled and the car is not of the quality promised?

Can I stop paying VW finance on the grounds that I was misled and the car is not of the quality promised?

Thought had occurred to me too, contracts been broken?

kingantti1874

Audi A6 2.0 tdi - yep got the letter... Can't say I'm bothered .. If performance or economy are affected by the fix then there's an open and shut compo claim

Jambof3tornado

Mate got a letter for his seat ibiza too.

Is this going to put road tax up on some cars given they are based on lower emissions?

I've got the Skoda Superb 1.6 Greenline. 

Was only ?30 a year road tax, slightly unhappy at the thought this may go up, and performance was remarkably OK for a small engined, large car.  Really wouldn't fancy it losing any power though

Also would query the car is still "roadworthy" claim they make in their letter.  If emmissions suddenly become higher, would the car pass it's MOT?  A fail would mean it's not roadworthy.

Intersting times ahead

Audi A6 2.0 tdi - yep got the letter... Can't say I'm bothered .. If performance or economy are affected by the fix then there's an open and shut compo claim

Same here, A6. More concerned re possible (big) reduction in resale value. I was going to sell it on while I'd still get a decent amount for it - now wondering if I might as well run it into the ground?

luckyBatistuta

Is this going to put road tax up on some cars given they are based on lower emissions?

So it's not just VW's then, I hope i don't get one of these letters for my car. The wife has become quite attached to it.

post-25326-0-44162400-1444940442_thumb.jpg

They've potentially misled people on mpg figures as well. There's a compo claim for fuel payments right there

luckyBatistuta

They've potentially misled people on mpg figures as well. There's a compo claim for fuel payments right there

I've never bought a new car to this day, that the mpg is what they claim. Don't think you will win a compo claim against any car manufacturer for mpg.

Thought had occurred to me too, contracts been broken?

Annoyingly, even if this is possible, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to claim as I took a bank loan to cover the cost of the car as the APR was less the VW Finance were offering.

The mpg on mine has never been what I was led to believe it would be.

MPG claims never are. Neither are 0-60 times. The way they drive the car to get the figures they quote for both is impossible in a "real world" situation. Pretty sure Clarkson once said most 0-60 figures are based on driving with the foot to the floor the whole time and not even using the clutch to change gear. Pretty sure the gearbox is ruined after one 0-60 run.

I expect to get the MPG figures they drive the car in an altogether different, but equally impossible way than it could be driven in real life.

I'm pretty sure the state have said they won't retrospectively change the road tax bracket but it may affect people buying brand new VWs.

Id be surprised if there isn't some sort of compensation offered by VW at the time the issue is fixed. Even if it is a token gesture.

I'm pretty sure the state have said they won't retrospectively change the road tax bracket but it may affect people buying brand new VWs.

Id be surprised if there isn't some sort of compensation offered by VW at the time the issue is fixed. Even if it is a token gesture.

A free valet no doubt.

The financial implications for them will be massive surely?

Got to be massive, not only financially but reputation wise also. Although given the profits they make I'm sure they will manage.

It hasn't really lowered my opinion on VW as we all know the stats are 'tailored' anyway and I'm sure they are the just the first ones to be caught.

The hysteria which has been generated around this as a result of some yanks getting all lawyered up is hilarious. Dafties up and down the country going on about how they've been betrayed and cheated and will never buy a Volkswagen / Audi group car again. Most of the folk waving their hands asking for compo probably never even looked at the emission figures for their cars before they bought them.

In essence, this is a recall. Recalls happen all the time in this industry, often for much more serious issues than this one. This issue wont cause your car to break down, and certainly isn't putting your life in danger either. Quite why this should be treated to any other recall boggles me to be honest.......

And I've said all of the above as someone who drives an Audi - and even after whats happened, would still happily own another one.

Impossible to say just now. The problem is with NOx levels though, which aren't taken in to consideration for road tax. Its CO2 which matters for road tax.

There is however a chance that in rectifying the NOx issues, that may have an adverse affect on the CO2 output - but that's something we have to wait and see.

Also would query the car is still "roadworthy" claim they make in their letter.  If emmissions suddenly become higher, would the car pass it's MOT?  A fail would mean it's not roadworthy.

Intersting times ahead

Your car would still pass an MOT. Diesels aren't tested for emissions as part of the MOT - they undergo a smoke test instead, which is pretty lenient to be honest.

For me, theres only one way that compensation should be payable after all this, and that's if the fix which they develop DOES end up having a substantial adverse effect on your car, be it in terms of performance, or economy or running costs.

You can bet your house on the fact they'll be working just now to come up with a fix which DOESNT effect your car in that way though. I don't envy the people tasked with that challenge that's for sure.

If this ends up with cars going in for a mornings worth of recall work and you get your car back in exactly the same condition with regards to bhp / mpg / co2 / tax band then I just cannot fathom why anyone would think they should be compensated for that.

Claiming 'damage to the resale value' is a non-starter as far as i'm concerned. If folk have decided that they 'WILL NEVER BUY A V.A.G CAR AGAIN!!' - then that will effect EVERY used VW / Audi on the market - whether its a 2 year old Diesel Passat, or a 10 year old petrol one...... And theres no way they can compensate everyone for that.

I agree with the majority of your post, I do think it's bigger than a standard recall.

Normally a recall is due to a mistake or equipment being found faulty (the Toyota brake issue) but in this case they deliberately put in software that would change the performance of the vehicle essentially lying to the testers and the consumers.

As I said it hasn't really affected my opinion of the group though.

Archived