Tynie; Best Away Day In Britain?

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Came across this from a Sunderland fan in their fanzine  saying he agrees with its view that Tynecastle is the best away day experience in Britain, while Tynie can be a special place for atmosphere  when its bouncing but the best in Britain?? thoughts anyone??

12115707_10153258845053877_6504906170832

beware of pickpockets... :laugh4:  

Now if you look at the latest November edition of 'When Saturday Comes' you'll find a rather depressing 3 pages about our neighbours in Leith

Still a nice read for all that as it serves only to reinforce the current depression hovering over our local rivals.

Came across this from a Sunderland fan in their fanzine saying he agrees with its view that Tynecastle is the best away day experience in Britain, while Tynie can be a special place for atmosphere when its bouncing but the best in Britain?? thoughts anyone??

12115707_10153258845053877_6504906170832

beware of pickpockets... :laugh4:

What a load of pish.

Tokyo Drifter

I remember that friendly - ironically it was Craig Gordon's first game at Tynie. I'm no expert but I remember thinking 'That boy's good'. Must have been Levein that was manager then.

Why is it a load of pish??

Strange comment for a Hearts fan to make.

Someone totally neutral makes a positive statement about Hearts and our Stadium and match day experience and a "Hearts fan" says he is talking pish.WTF

For away fans, I think Tynecastle really is among the best in Britain. It's a cosy stadium where the away fans are in a steep stand right on the pitch with fantastic views, meaning they can make their presence known visually and in song. The TV camera angle coming from the Wheatfield also allow a full view of the away fans. Compare that to stadiums where away fans are up high or in a corner away from the action and not really seen on TV.

I really love Tynecastle.

"Your ground should be a template of what football ground should be built like"

Said Liverpool supporter after UEFA cup tie.

Francis Albert

Nice comments but the Sunderland one does give the impression that Tynecastle is a quaint olde worlde throwback whereas three sides are modern and deserve praise for being designed with a bit more style than the lego-brick (or lego-breeze block) standard so common elsewhere (see ER). Even better when the steelwork of the roof supports were pink. The template comment by the Liverpool fan was more to the point - I doubt he was suggesting the main stand should be replicated in modern stadiums.

The reputation of Tynecastle has certainly grown much further in the last few years.

It makes the usual comments from the vermin seem even more bitter.

Diadora Van Basten

I wasn't impressed at all with the Stadium of Light. I actually though the game had been abandoned as I was coming back from the toilet about seventy five minutes and the fans were leaving in their droves.

Having been stuck about an hour and a half to get out of the ground in a bus then I can see why the fans leave so early.

If I were a Sunderland fan I would be longing for the Roker park days as well.

I wasn't impressed at all with the Stadium of Light. I actually though the game had been abandoned as I was coming back from the toilet about seventy five minutes and the fans were leaving in their droves.

Having been stuck about an hour and a half to get out of the ground in a bus then I can see why the fans leave so early.

If I were a Sunderland fan I would be longing for the Roker park days as well.

I went to local derby against Newcastle at Roker Park . It was back in 1990 a play off 1st leg match.

Sat in among the home fans a poor game until Sunderland missed a penalty in the last 10 minutes. All hell broke out and game was delayed till the Police sorted out a pitch invasion.A proper football ground and the place was bouncing very similar to Tynecastle on Derby day.

I would imagine that the older Sunderland fans miss their old ground in the same way that we would miss Tynecastle if we have to leave.

I went on a stadium tour of Roker Park - must have been 1993. A few things I mind from the tour;

the stadium was pretty shabby but to quote the boy's letter, rather 'charming' too.

the guy doing the tour really hated Liverpool and their fans, Liverpool had beaten them in the FA Cup final a few years previous so that may have contributed - I think he blamed them for the upcoming loss of terracing.

he showed us a row of seats in the main stand allocated for blind supporters and I remember thinking what a good view of the pitch.

he pointed out JC's car in the player's car park to me and my mate who were Hearts fans - I mean it could have been anyone's car to be honest but we appreciated the gesture.

Think that's all.

I wish I was an away fan. As I have had some terrible times at Tynecastle.

Yes all those Derby victories must have been hard for you.

We have paraded the Scottish Cup round Tynecastle three times in recent history

We clinched our entry to CL at Tynecastle.

We have played some top teams in European competition.

We have had some setbacks as well but I would not swop Tynecastle for anything.

Also the fact that we near sell out every game would indicate most folk like the Tynecastle experience.

The room for expansion is there at tynecastle. However it will cost upwards of 60 million so as usual money talks but imagine a new better tynecastle still in gorgie

Gorgie_Rules

When I go to games across the country it makes me appreciate how lucky we are to have a ground like Tynecastle. Imagine your season ticket being at a ground such as Rugby Park, McDiarmid Park, Fir Park. Stands half finished/knocked down, big gaps between them, three or four times too big for the crowds they attract. I admire those fans loyalty as paying good money and turning to those soulless grounds every second week isn't much of an experience. Even Aberdeen and Dundee Utds grounds are monstrosities for the size of clubs they are

There are a few drawbacks of Tynecastle, lack of parking, tired main stand, lack of modern corporate facilities, changing rooms etc but its a great place to watch football in

Hibs scum.

Hardly. Folk on this forum can't possibly believe that coming to tynecastle is the best away day in Britain. You can't even have a beer in the ground and the atmospheres shite unless there's one of 3 sides playing.

You don't like Tynecastle then ?

I don't think the overall package backs up the claim. Brighton or Blackpool would be a better away day for starters.

Son Of Anarchy

I don't think the overall package backs up the claim. Brighton or Blackpool would be a better away day for starters.

Blackpools Pish!

Juan Rom?n Riquelme

Definitely the best in Scotland. Mates of mine that support the likes of Thistle and St Johnstone would tell you it's the first game they look for when the fixtures come out. Seen a lot of opposition players saying it's their favourite ground to play in as well.

Obviously there are tonnes more grounds in England that could be considered so hard to say if it's the best in Britain.

It's nice to hear positive things about the club and it's true that many opposition fans speak highly of Tynecastle. You maybe had a point, Tynecastle is a great ground and great experience, but probably not the best in the UK, however you've lost all credibility mentioning Blackpool. The town and ground are both absolute shitholes and the facilities for away fans are a joke.

Oh you do like to be by the seaside.

If we do have to move we should build our new stadium in Portobello just for you.

Well you're wrong about Brighton, as well. I attended their Premier promotion play-off against Derby -- perhaps the biggest game at their magnificent new ground. The atmosphere was rubbish, felt like a friendly. 

Best grounds to visit in England are probably Upton Park (tight and always bouncing, like Tynie, but soon to close) and Anfield (but in the old days, doubt it is still as special)

Sunderland and Middlesborough are both good warnings for why our club should never leave Tynecastle, IMHO. We're probably obliged to TALK about leaving, in order to get planning permission for redevelopment of the main stand, however. 

Oh you do like to be by the seaside.

If we do have to move we should build our new stadium in Portobello just for you.

Ahhh how grand would that be?

Tynecastle on a good day can rival any stadium. Backed up by Liverpool/Tottenham/Celtic fans who travel over Europe.

An atmosphere can't be faked, but that is the reason why when Tynie is bouncing it is a special place to watch football.

It is hard to get 'excited' against the lesser teams but some of they games can turn into great atmospheres (rudi hat-trick v St mirren for example)

As an away in Tynie if you lose its always going to be a crap day, your teams lost. But if you win and the hearts fans are shouting, onto the refs back etc it must be great being in the away end.

Sometimes I like when we are 1 down and come back to win, it just creates the best games to be at, a 3-0 win at Tynie, unless against hibs is never the same and the place does go flat.

I hope we never leave the old ground, get a new main stand (or a new stand and turn the gorgie into the 'main stand') and we will have one of the best places to watch football for years to come. If we move something will die and football for me would never be the same again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For you guys to say that Tynie offers the best away day in the country is OK, but for you to actually believe it is another thing.

It's a bit like saying your mum makes the best macaroni cheese in the country and genuinely thinking it's true.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I wonder what we would put down as the best away day if asked, it would probably be the Glasgow grounds if it wasn't for the sectarianism, so perhaps Inverness or Ross co as it is a bit of an adventure or Fester for the great times we have had there at their expense. Partick is good for atmosphere so maybe Firhill. ? Motherwell was good when we got a bit of the shed not so much now ! Dunfermline I liked also as it had a bit of a derby feel and a good atmosphere.

For you guys to say that Tynie offers the best away day in the country is OK, but for you to actually believe it is another thing.

It's a bit like saying your mum makes the best macaroni cheese in the country and genuinely thinking it's true.

Suppose it all depends what you're looking at from an away day.

If all you're after is "oooh look at the shiny shiny" then I've no doubt The Emirates is for you. I'm sure Old Trafford holds a certain appeal to some who buy into the "Theatre of Dreams" pish.

But football isn't about that to everyone. I've heard enough comments from people who have nothing to do with Hearts about how they love Tynecastle, Peter Schmeichel for one.

Tynecastle is a proper football ground in what's seen as a great city for a visit. The atmosphere at times is up there with any other ground in the UK in my opinion and under the floodlights with the stands packed it a great sight.

That means more to some fans than flashy walkways to the ground and being able to buy a pulled pork roll with a pint of Carling.

Suppose it all depends what you're looking at from an away day.

If all you're after is "oooh look at the shiny shiny" then I've no doubt The Emirates is for you. I'm sure Old Trafford holds a certain appeal to some who buy into the "Theatre of Dreams" pish.

But football isn't about that to everyone. I've heard enough comments from people who have nothing to do with Hearts about how they love Tynecastle, Peter Schmeichel for one.

Tynecastle is a proper football ground in what's seen as a great city for a visit. The atmosphere at times is up there with any other ground in the UK in my opinion and under the floodlights with the stands packed it a great sight.

That means more to some fans than flashy walkways to the ground and being able to buy a pulled pork roll with a pint of Carling.

I personally used to love visiting Broomfield and Brockville. Back in the day those grounds were much more fun than Tynie ever was.

I personally used to love visiting Broomfield and Brockville. Back in the day those grounds were much more fun than Tynie ever was.

Have you visited Tynecastle as an away fan? 

Rudolf's Mate

Hardly. Folk on this forum can't possibly believe that coming to tynecastle is the best away day in Britain. You can't even have a beer in the ground and the atmospheres shite unless there's one of 3 sides playing.

It's not all about getting a beer. 

Away days are just that and occur once every so often and shouldn't be based on a home fans view of all home games.

I've been to quite a few Portsmouth games and the atmosphere has been, for the large part, pretty spectacular. I went to the game v Arsenal in which Henry was cheered for the last 30 mins as he was ripping them to bits. Pompey fans were sung his name and he even came down and clapped the home support at the end. Despite this I've also been to a number of games at Fratton Park which were totally flat and had no atmosphere.

It's unlikely you'll get a brilliant atmosphere at nothing games v sub standard opposition. You can't base it on that however it's no surprise when teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Hibs, Celtic & Sevco etc say we're the best away day.

Struggling to follow you're logic to be honest. Sounded like your intial point was you couldn't enjoy old Tynecastle as much as Brighton's shiny new stadium.

Now you're saying you enjoyed some of the old grounds even more than Tynecastle?

Can I just say what a load of pish too?

maroonlegions

Total pesh, take  it you  never were in the Shed then back in the days then??  Getting odder and odder now.

I wouldn't know if it's the best Away day in Britain, as I have never been as an away supporter :lol:

It is, however, the best stadium in the World, and there is no feeling quite like walking out onto the concourse and seeing our wee stadium in all it's glory pre-match :thumbsup:

Total pesh, take it you never were in the Shed then back in the days then?? Getting odder and odder now.

I thought we were talking about away days? The away end at Tynie when we had the shed must've been miserable. Large and uncovered, pretty empty for most visiting fans.

Can't say I have. Unless you count watching an u19s world cup match that Scotland weren't involved in.

Struggling to follow you're logic to be honest. Sounded like your intial point was you couldn't enjoy old Tynecastle as much as Brighton's shiny new stadium.

Now you're saying you enjoyed some of the old grounds even more than Tynecastle?

Can I just say what a load of pish too?

Brighton was nothing to do with their ground.

Can't say I have. Unless you count watching an u19s world cup match that Scotland weren't involved in.

So your opinion (and anyone else's who hasn't) isn't really relevant then. 

It's totally different going to a match as an away fan and probably more so as a neutral. 

maroonlegions

I thought we were talking about away days? The away end at Tynie when we had the shed must've been miserable. Large and uncovered, pretty empty for most visiting fans.

Stop being pedantic you know exactly what i meant, visiting fans in our stadium still get affected by the  atmosphere and the closeness to the play on the field, that was the point of that Sunderland fan was referring too, you on the other hand  first referred to that as pesh, WHY??

Are you speaking as an away fan???

This got me thinking and i've thought back and realised i've been in all parts of the old Tynecastle and the new.

The old Tynecastle's terrace to pitch was still really close compared to a lot of grounds and the atmosphere could easily rival anything the new stadium has had. 

Archived