Davidson's Mains

Tazio

Moving there pretty soon. Any advice on best pubs, worst pubs, takeaways, shops etc? It's been a few years since I had a pint there.

If you want to pretend you're a local, mention The Puggie's turn. An old race around the village. Along the Main Street, up Quality Street, back along Queensferry Road/Hillhouse Road and then back down Corbiehill Road to the start. But I've not a had a pint there in 25 years.

The Olde Inn has gone downhill with plenty of scum from along the road now using it. It used to be a place these people didn't want to go.

MacKenzies also has bother from time to time.

Norhet has been fine when I've been in but some people think it's boring.

Been in Ye Olde Inn a few times and never had bother, always been in the lounge part. It has a big beer garden out the back. Food is alright.

Ye Olde Inn is best pub. Mackenzies is not great now. Norhet is good but mostly locals (as in cleekish).

Bangla Kitchen Indian takeaway is best one although there is another one (cannae mind the name)

Corbie chippie used to be really good but went downhill. Not been in for ages so not sure if it's improved.

Never that keen on the chinese, probably better phoning Mr Lees along next to the Ferryboat or one of the ones in Blackhall.

If you're intending going into Ye Olde Inn on a saturday night let me know and i'll tell you what i drink :)

Grew up there and in Silverknowes and still got family who live there.

Been a few years but the Olde Inne was always good, Bangla Kitchen is the king of takeaways and I haven't been in years but I've heard the Corbie chippie is pretty good these days.

The Corbie is a great chippy. You'll have no problem being served either. Never seen so many staff behind one counter: a cast of thousands. ?

Tony Soprano

I stay just round the corner. Ye olde is a fantastic pub and the one i would choose every day of the week. Mackenzies went down hill a bit but recently just got taken over by one of the old barmen from the Telford Arms, grant, who is a great guy. I've heard a lot of good stories about it lately but never been in since the take over.

Never tried the Indian but the Corbie is brilliant. The Chinese isn't bad but not the one i would usually go to. I think like a lot of take away's it really just depends on what you normally order.

Right, so pubs are safe and the chippie and the Indian is good. That's a pretty good start to things.And I'm only going to be about 30 seconds from the Corbie.

It will seem a bit quiet moving from the heart of Leith just of the Walk but I'm looking forward to that to be honest.  

Ye Olde Inn is fine as is MacKenzies-Corbie pretty dire-dont use it anymore-loads of staff but no stock-sick of waiting for them to cook stuff-chip portions pathetic as well.

Bangla Kitchen not bad but prefer the Bombay Feast in Blackhall.

You can go a wee bit further afield and try Lauriston Farm for a few pints and some scran. Superb carvery.

I grew up the other side of the woods and went to Royal High. Olde Inn was my local before I got my own place. Technically the Barnton Hotel was but my mates drank in D Mains.

Laurie Farm is OK but used to close early meaning you had to head back to D Mains to continue drinking.

Moving there pretty soon. Any advice on best pubs, worst pubs, takeaways, shops etc? It's been a few years since I had a pint there.

The Corbie is one of the best chippies in Edinburgh :thumbsup:

the sub goalie

I got one a couple of months ago and it was swimming in grease, had one bite and threw it away.

Although got pretty decent reviews here so I was maybe just unlucky.

20 years ago I used to play squash at Craigroyston, then we'd head along to Ye Olde for a few pints to cool down.  It was midweek and very quiet, but I always liked it there.

Tuesday morning at 10am there is a knitting club there.  Seriously.

I thought this was about Ruths favourite meals.

Fecking quite a few by the looks of it.

Worst bit about D mains is the rush hour traffic. As everyone says should be a good move.

There was a murder outside the chippy about 40 years ago IIRC. It's not all good!

Randle P McMurphy

There was a murder outside the chippy about 40 years ago IIRC. It's not all good!

Too good an opportunity to miss for one of the oldest jokes of all time! There was also a fight, the fish got battered

Seriously?-there must be some real shockers out there.

It's bang average imho on every level- quality,portion size and service.

there's a murder every Friday night at the Norhet karaoke!

Private Womble

I thought this was about Ruths favourite meals.

Fecking quite a few by the looks of it.

:lol:

I got one a couple of months ago and it was swimming in grease, had one bite and threw it away.

Although got pretty decent reviews here so I was maybe just unlucky.

I suppose I didn't mention that the last time I went was around 15 years ago :gok:

At least there's a police station close by.

Ah d mains! You've got everything you need there. 3 pubs, 2 banks, tesco, 2 Indians a Chinese, chippy the list goes on. Grew up in silverknowes so I know the place very well. Best pub is ye olde by miles, do decent scran and the price for a pint isn't too bad. Can get a bit rough on a Saturday because of the karaoke but apart from that it's fine. Decent atmosphere for football aswel. MKenzies is good for a change every now and then but the norhets a bit of a dive. Not been in a while so might have changed. also got thr park which is good if you e got a dog. I'm moving track myself with the Mrs at the start of the year. Can't wait.

Once you've settled you'll love it mate. Great move.

Bit of a pain in the arse to get to Tynie from there right enough but that seriously the only negative I can think.

Moved yesterday so not really got a grip of everything yet but think I'm going to like it here. It really does feel like a village, especially at night. Tesco is a bit posher than my old Tesco Metro on Leith Walk. And even though I'm further out of town the bus to the West End is only 15 minutes whereas the bus from the middle of Leith walk could take up to 30 minutes depending on the time of day. 

Right, so pubs are safe and the chippie and the Indian is good. That's a pretty good start to things.And I'm only going to be about 30 seconds from the Corbie.

It will seem a bit quiet moving from the heart of Leith just of the Walk but I'm looking forward to that to be honest.  

Where did you move from?

Moved yesterday so not really got a grip of everything yet but think I'm going to like it here. It really does feel like a village, especially at night. Tesco is a bit posher than my old Tesco Metro on Leith Walk. And even though I'm further out of town the bus to the West End is only 15 minutes whereas the bus from the middle of Leith walk could take up to 30 minutes depending on the time of day.

I live out at Barnton so get the bus into town that way. It's lightning quick even from here. I use the Stagecoach buses and they can sometimes take just 10 minutes. Nice comfy leather seats too if you get the coach style ones.

Archived