Wayne Rooney - The Man Behind the Goals

Rudiboy

Is this the thing where he is training to become a 6th official?

I think it's meant to show his life outside of football, so instead of talking about his favourite matches, goals and teammates it'll be about how much he loves his family and what's his favourite crisp

Disliked him until watching this - what a guy!

Love the bit where he goes back home and shows where he went to play footy with his pals against the garages after scoring his debut goal against Arsenal.

Massively commited to the game and a really good guy.

Maiden Gorgie

Don't normally watch these things but this was actually really good, but then I've always liked Rooney as a player. He comes across pretty well in this too.

It's on BBC iPlayer by the way.

Thought it was very interesting. Enjoyed the old woman that came up to him and spoke in his old housing estate, shows how in touch he still is with his roots.

Also loved the bit where his dad was talking about his first Everton goal. Looked like he was about to burst out crying tbh.

Still think it's sick how much he earns though.

Just finished watching on catch up, very good programme, never forgotten his roots and his family all still living in or very near to where they were raised. Came across really well and interesting to hear other players views on him.

I watched it and was really impressed with him to be honest. Very family orientated. Knows how lucky he is to be as gifted as he is. Very likeable young man. 

I have been backing Rooney for about nine years on here.

Always get the usual "English shite" stuff back.

He is a great player and all of us are probably dead jealous of his job.

Sorry, double post.

Watt-Zeefuik

Probably?  ;)  If you legitimately offered me his job (and ability, natch) in exchange for amputating my left arm, I'd probably say no but I'd give it some serious thought.

I think he's probably been held back considerably by the inflexibility of English football.  In a more flexible system, I think he'd have had an even more impressive career.

rudi must stay

I watched it and was really impressed with him to be honest. Very family orientated. Knows how lucky he is to be as gifted as he is. Very likeable young man.

I was impressed with him as well, but the documentary just showed everything thats wrong with football. You really shouldn't have a house like that for kicking a ball around

kingantti1874

Echo the sentiments above, seems a genuinely nice guy - a good dad ... It's easy to forget how good he was when he broke through... I think his versatility has hampered him over the years

Dagger Is Back

I was impressed with him as well, but the documentary just showed everything thats wrong with football. You really shouldn't have a house like that for kicking a ball around

Really enjoyed that and very impressed with him too. To be fair, he's probably just the same as we'd be if we had his talent. Just a normal bloke living the dream.

I sometimes get narked with the money they earn but given how much TV stars, actors etc earn, fill your boots Wayne son.

Interesting the points about him staying close to his routes etc. Has that hindered him as a top class player though? Far too few English players move abroad which in my opinion hampers massively their experiences on and off the pitch and therefore has damaged the English national team massively. Someone like him might have become way better if he'd moved to Spain or Italy however the EPL riches are such that nothing will change in that regard.

Regal Kingston

I've always liked Rooney.

Fantastic professional and a great role model

However I no longer think he's an elite player anymore and is getting paid far too much for his performances.

He's lost that yard of pace and it's like he's a player of 33/34

Maybe being a pro since 16 has taken its toll.

Good show though - worth a watch.

It's a shame he broke the England record with a penalty and not a screamer.

I wonder if Michael Owen's England career wasn't finished at 27 how many more he would have scored?

Bert Le Clos

Thought it was very interesting. Enjoyed the old woman that came up to him and spoke in his old housing estate, shows how in touch he still is with his roots.

Also loved the bit where his dad was talking about his first Everton goal. Looked like he was about to burst out crying tbh.

Still think it's sick how much he earns though.

Was it the one he pumped?

I'm sure he's changed now he has a kid but let's remember, this "family orientated" role model was so committed, he paid to pump an elderly prostitute behind his Mrs back.

Rooney was world class IMO for a couple of season. Fergie ruined him by not making him consistently his first choice number 9. The season he scored 28 goals in the EPL or whatever he played up top on his own. In the seasons that followed Fergie punted him about various positions and his game suffered.

He's never a number 9 now. van Gaal shouldn't have bothered signing Schneiderlin and converted Rooney into a centre mid. That way he could have spent the ?25m he spent on Schneiderlin on a top quality striker.

mickycameron98

Yeh, a decent watch and backs up what I already thought. A decent down to earth guy and a true professional. Wonder if he might go back to Everton for one last season!

Son Of Anarchy

Haven't seen the show yet but never minded him at all. Always thought he came across as decent guy living the dream and a great player too that hasn't really done it on the big stage yet due to well england. Aren't these kind of programmes easy to fix though? Of course he's going yo come across as a nice guy. They aren't going to let him be made out to be a ****. Jealous as hell of his money but good luck to him.

When you see how good he was as a younger player with fire in his belly, it was almost frightening.

Unfortunately, now he's finished / complacent and van Gaal should drop him, he's bringing nothing to the team.

Maybe he thinks he's done it all, record goalscorer for England, captain of England, captain of United, quite happy

to jog along and take the money.

As someone said, when Ronaldo and Rooney were both at United, Ronaldo trained like he wanted to be the best

player in the world, Rooney trained like he thought he was the best player in the world.

Thought the younger, hungrier Rooney was a fantastic player, but there was never the impression that he held any

real affection for United, he was good for United, and they were certainly good to him.

He's an Evertonian through and through, and maybe that's a fair part of it, but he doesn't share the affinity with United

that the likes of Giggs, Neville, Scholes and even foreigners like Evra and Ronaldo have.

To be honest, when he was questioning United's ambition and talking of going to City, he should have been punted then.

chester copperpot

Would loved to have seen how well he would have done in that Barca team when they were sniffing about him a few years ago.

Undoubtedly England's most talented player in a generation and although talks of him being finished are a wee bit far fetched IMO, he's defo lost a bit of pace and quick thinking.

Didnt want to start a post that then gives me all the details of what it was like! I want a link so i can watch it abroad. Typical KBers

Son Of Anarchy

Didnt want to start a post that then gives me all the details of what it was like! I want a link so i can watch it abroad. Typical KBers

Selfish arseholes ;)

doctor jambo

Did a tiger woods - lost his dirty mojo and has never been the same. He was awesome, but has not been for some time

Ibrahim Tall

Interesting the points about him staying close to his routes etc. Has that hindered him as a top class player though? Far too few English players move abroad which in my opinion hampers massively their experiences on and off the pitch and therefore has damaged the English national team massively. Someone like him might have become way better if he'd moved to Spain or Italy however the EPL riches are such that nothing will change in that regard.

It's too easy to say in my opinion. The 'Top' Germans and Italians generally don't play abroad much either, sure more often than the English but in general the national squads are predominantly domestically based. When the better players do leave it's generally late in their career it's, ie Pirlo or Schweinsteiger which isn't dissimilar to what Cole, Lampard and Gerrard have done.

Bert Le Clos

It's too easy to say in my opinion. The 'Top' Germans and Italians generally don't play abroad much either, sure more often than the English but in general the national squads are predominantly domestically based. When the better players do leave it's generally late in their career it's, ie Pirlo or Schweinsteiger which isn't dissimilar to what Cole, Lampard and Gerrard have done.

Agreed. It's the lack of English players playing top level in the Premier League and the general lower quality of the players who do that harms the English side, compared to the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy etc.

Very few of the top French or Dutch players play in their home country, but the % of players in the French and Dutch top league who are French or Dutch is much higher than in England. So they are consistently churning out players who have experience of playing at a high level despite a young age, see Depay as an example.

There's very few English players who fit into this category. That means they are priced out of a move abroad and probably wouldn't take one anyone because they know they can make more money staying in England.

That's before you even consider the difference in technique and ability of young players before they're even ready for top level football.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Shags pensioner prostitutes, likes brown sauce on his dinner, went bald in his twenties, looks like Shrek. The man behind the goals is boring to be honest. Take away the goals, literally nobody would care.

Sorry Wayne.

:sob:

Seriously though guys, do none of you have a link so I can watch this? Cheers

If you live abroad, here's how I recommend you watch it. Download what is known as a VPN (Virtual Private Network) app called TunnelBear -- it has an app for computers, Android, and iOS devices. Switch the app to "UK", and you should be able to watch anything that is available in the UK - including BBC iPlayer. TunnelBear has a free allowance of not very much megabytes a month, but it should get you the Rooney Documenatry without having to upgrade. If it's not quite enough, it's honestly worth the ?5/month to unlock unlimited "bandwidth" so you can watch all geo-restricted online content abroad. I travel a lot, and TunnelBear is a God-send, means I can watch NOW TV (Sky Sports) anywhere in the world.

Got a few minutes in and instantly got reminded how over paid footballers are. How many bloody toys do children need??

Watched it last night, nothing really that we didn't know about him already.

Was funny that he went back to play with his mates at the local garages hours after scoring the winner vs Arsenal.

Seriously though guys, do none of you have a link so I can watch this? Cheers

Sure i seen it kicking about on bbc iplayer.

If you live abroad, here's how I recommend you watch it. Download what is known as a VPN (Virtual Private Network) app called TunnelBear -- it has an app for computers, Android, and iOS devices. Switch the app to "UK", and you should be able to watch anything that is available in the UK - including BBC iPlayer. TunnelBear has a free allowance of not very much megabytes a month, but it should get you the Rooney Documenatry without having to upgrade. If it's not quite enough, it's honestly worth the ?5/month to unlock unlimited "bandwidth" so you can watch all geo-restricted online content abroad. I travel a lot, and TunnelBear is a God-send, means I can watch NOW TV (Sky Sports) anywhere in the world.

Will give that a try. Thanks very much!

Maybe read my initial post before being wide. I live abroad. iplayer does not work for me! Cheers tho.

Wasnt being wide. It was more of a general to anyone else talking about it, as many also abroad may not have known where it was broadcast

Apologies you took it that way howevet

Wasnt being wide. It was more of a general to anyone else talking about it, as many also abroad may not have known where it was broadcast

It quite clear you were referring to the op....but I appreciate the link. Thank you.

The culture, professionalism and structure of football in those countries has seen them win 8 World Cups between them and 5 since England won theirs though.

Found it all a bit dull tbh.

Still though, that partnership he had with Ronaldo was fantastic, probably one of the deadliest forward duo's of my lifetime.

Regal Kingston

Was it the one he pumped?

I'm sure he's changed now he has a kid but let's remember, this "family orientated" role model was so committed, he paid to pump an elderly prostitute behind his Mrs back.

Rooney was world class IMO for a couple of season. Fergie ruined him by not making him consistently his first choice number 9. The season he scored 28 goals in the EPL or whatever he played up top on his own. In the seasons that followed Fergie punted him about various positions and his game suffered.

He's never a number 9 now. van Gaal shouldn't have bothered signing Schneiderlin and converted Rooney into a centre mid. That way he could have spent the ?25m he spent on Schneiderlin on a top quality striker.

He went with the old prostitute when he was 18 and a single man - he may have been 'going out' with Colleen but thats not worth a sook.

A curious 18 year old laddie with thousands of pounds in his pocket!

He has proved he can learn from his mistakes and become a role model for kids.

According to Rebecca Loos - Beckham cheated on his wife and mother of his children.

Who is the better role model??

Give me the teenage whooremeister any day of the week.

He went with the old prostitute when he was 18 and a single man - he may have been 'going out' with Colleen but thats not worth a sook.

A curious 18 year old laddie with thousands of pounds in his pocket!

He has proved he can learn from his mistakes and become a role model for kids.

According to Rebecca Loos - Beckham cheated on his wife and mother of his children.

Who is the better role model??

Give me the teenage whooremeister any day of the week.

What about the threesome with the other gas cookers when Colleen was pregnant ?

Bet that was worth a sook !

Thanks

Archived