Neilson should explain tactics

JamboJohn1874

I said last year he is Craig Leveins puppet and does as instructed. Craig would always try to save a game than win a game. It may not be a bad attribute it can be seen as downright negative by supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100% wrong ... but just you carry on anyway lad

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Francis Albert

Whilst I do not think Robbie needs to explain his tactics to all in sundry - I think it would certainly assist the 'we're in it together' relationship that the Club promote if he did give us his reasoning for taking off Sow in the usual post match analysis he gives us on the HMFC website.

I am sure he had a very good reason for the substitutions, so what harm would it do sharing it with Hearts fans who attended the game?

None, if you could confine it to Hearts fans sworn to secrecy. Otherwise you are telling every other coach and player in the country Robbie's views on the strengths and weaknesses of his players and how he will respond to different match situations, as well as information on any long term injury niggles being carried by players.

And unless the explanation was full and convincing it would just generate more argument rather than a "we're in it together" attitude. In fact that would be so even it was full and convincing.

Yes we are all in it together but we all have different roles. I don't suppose the "young team" give Robbie a post-match explanation of their song sheet.

alicante jambo

None, if you could confine it to Hearts fans sworn to secrecy. Otherwise you are telling every other coach and player in the country Robbie's views on the strengths and weaknesses of his players and how he will respond to different match situations, as well as information on any long term injury niggles being carried by players.

And unless the explanation was full and convincing it would just generate more argument rather than a "we're in it together" attitude. In fact that would be so even it was full and convincing.

Yes we are all in it together but we all have different roles. I don't suppose the "young team" give Robbie a post-match explanation of their song sheet.

Frances albert i made a childish comment aimed at you earlier in the thread and id like to appologise.I try no to get into bitching and childish insults unfortunately i was well wound in not something i normally do.Was just annoyed with the result it was nothing personal.

You are over thinking it a bit there Franny are you not?

Francis Albert

Frances albert i made a childish comment aimed at you earlier in the thread and id like to appologise.I try no to get into bitching and childish insults unfortunately i was well wound in not something i normally do.Was just annoyed with the result it was nothing personal.

Not sure why my reply was deleted. The gist of it was - thanks but no problem -I can be as bitching and childish at times as anyone.

Most of our supporters don't know what tactics are tbh. They think it's deciding to play 4-4-2 over 4-5-1.

He gets things wrong, as every manager does. I don't see any harm in journalists asking questions about decisions or tactics but I also don't imagine they'd do much to enlighten things for those whose tactical advice is 'why doesn't he just attack the other team'

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Swanson for Buaben wasn't the "obvious change" everyone makes it out to be either, by the way.

How often has Swanson played in a deep midfield role?  I'd guess not many.

Swanson for Buaben wasn't the "obvious change" everyone makes it out to be either, by the way.

How often has Swanson played in a deep midfield role? I'd guess not many.

I'd argue if you look at his time at St Johnstone and Dundee United he can. The change, to me, also had to be an attacking one as we desperately needed a second goal.

The fact we subbed Sow and then later chucked Reilly on was pretty galling when you think how dominant we had been up till then.

I still think the weakness in the side is being too deep and slow in breaking forward.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'd argue if you look at his time at St Johnstone and Dundee United he can. The change, to me, also had to be an attacking one as we desperately needed a second goal.

The fact we subbed Sow and then later chucked Reilly on was pretty galling when you think how dominant we had been up till then.

I still think the weakness in the side is being too deep and slow in breaking forward.

For me the two obvious changes were Reilly for Juanma and Pallardo for Buaben.  Keep the 4-4-2 that was working well but have a solid base in midfield allowing the wide men to go forward in search of that second goal.

Our build up play is too slow, that much is certain.  We need to up the tempo when we have the ball.

I'll take a guess that Mr Robbie took off sow to bring killie onto us 10 yards deeper which would create space upfront for us to hit them on the counter and we win 2-0 and Robbie only too happy to discuss his tactics afterwards - or some other theoretical rubbish which never works (for him)

We cant counter if at the free kick everyone is in the box to me that was a poor decision giving them the option of not keeping 2 players back to eliminate the threat of a counter and in and keeping them in an attacking position mind you I am no tactician

No he should not have to explain anything.   The last thing we or he needs is new pressure when after  14 months things are harder or trickier. 

Let him get on with it.  If he and Craig feck up we will know by the new year.  We must give the new team more time, and we have injuries etc.

We have a couple of quiet weeks, so lets take it easy eh. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

I just had a nostalgic memory back to when Robinson had his roadshows in the early noughties. I went to the Fife one and the Pieman had Levein, Colin Cameron and Antti Niemi with him. Pieman gave a presentation on the club's financial state and then opened it to questions. First question to CL: "Why do you have 11 men back at corners?".

:vrface:

Robbie explaining match tactics to the average drama queen on kickback would be like trying to teach a chimp Pythagoras' Theorem.

This made me laugh. Probably because it's so true.

One of my favourite scenes from Mike Bassett England Manager is when Bassett is getting on the team bus after another poor England result. An obviously harassed and aggravated Bassett asks an angry fan what he would do. The fan gives a surprisingly erudite answer to which Bassett replies ah **** off! before quickly alighting the bus.

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

see this vast bulk of supporters you're talking about, do you mean on kickback and Facebook or have u spoke to the majority of the 16,000 at the game?

He took Sow off in order to go 4-5-1 from what I could see, think he was trying to protect the lead (not a decision I agreed with btw).

I don't think Buaben is a holding midfielder, he just didn't play very well. I thought Robbie should have taken Buaben off for Swanson, but we were winning at the time, so he may have been wary of leaving the defence exposed.

People have been complaining about not playing 4-4-2, then when we do, they still complain.

The minute I saw that he was taking Sow off, I turned to my mate and said, that's us fecked.  We reverted to a 4-5-1 which left Juanma isolated up front and handed Killie a get out of jail card.  I agree with you, he should have switched Swanson for Buaben and left 2 up front, letting Swanson play a more central role which I think he's far better suited to than playing wide.

See if you made a decision in your job?

You do have one yeah?

And, it turned out to be a wee mistake, and you were asked to explain it.

What would you think?

Jesus wept, c'mon man.

It was all going well until he changed one player. Do you know, for a fact, why he did that?

No you don't .

I think he tried to go 4-5-1. Not correct in my opinion trying to protect a lead against a really poor team but hey ho that's what the manager did.

Right?

Francis Albert

For me the two obvious changes were Reilly for Juanma and Pallardo for Buaben.  Keep the 4-4-2 that was working well but have a solid base in midfield allowing the wide men to go forward in search of that second goal.

Our build up play is too slow, that much is certain.  We need to up the tempo when we have the ball.

Our tempo on Saturday was fine. In fact occasionally it was so fast we left the ball behind.

Francis Albert

The minute I saw that he was taking Sow off, I turned to my mate and said, that's us fecked.  We reverted to a 4-5-1 which left Juanma isolated up front and handed Killie a get out of jail card.  I agree with you, he should have switched Swanson for Buaben and left 2 up front, letting Swanson play a more central role which I think he's far better suited to than playing wide.

You should stand for manager when the fans get to elect the manager.

I also disagreed with the subs but I didn't share your certainty that we were fecked. Better defending of the soft free kick would have given us the win that would have prompted threads about our revived title challenge.

I just had a nostalgic memory back to when Robinson had his roadshows in the early noughties. I went to the Fife one and the Pieman had Levein, Colin Cameron and Antti Niemi with him. Pieman gave a presentation on the club's financial state and then opened it to questions. First question to CL: "Why do you have 11 men back at corners?".

:vrface:

What was his answer?

In line with the OPs train of thought I believe Robbie should also come out after every game and explain to us all, in depth , what he plans to have with his horlicks at bedtime , hob nob or rich tea. . in tandem to this he simply must give us a blow by blow account of how he managed to make that tackle against Gretna , how he scored that goal against Basle. ..oh and how him and his team managed to get us promoted at the first time of asking !

As a further gift to the JKB underwear soilers, he should hand out 50p coins so the pant wetters can get along to the Gorgie Road laundry and dry off !

Geoff Kilpatrick

What was his answer?

Wow!

From memory, he said his first priority was defending the corner and he said that we hadn't conceded a goal from a corner since we had implemented the change.

Captain Canada

I don't agree with many of his tactics but I'm not a football manager. He's paid to make decisions and should only have to explain them to his boss if asked.

Since the first half of the Aberdeen game we've been unbeaten in the league and got through a tricky away tie in the cup.

We have no right to win every game. I said last season on here that Gomis and Buaben were too one-paced for this league but they're not the awful players some people are making them out to be.

We're 3rd in the league after almost one round of games. That's as good as we should have hoped for.

shonerbaird69

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

neilson doesnt have a clue about tactics hes only in the job as CL,s puppett  if things go wrong neilson will make a good scapegoat 

shonerbaird69

I also disagreed with the subs but I didn't share your certainty that we were fecked. Better defending of the soft free kick would have given us the win that would have prompted threads about our revived title challenge.

we dont have the squad or mindset to be title challangers so fans need to stop dreaming 

Good - you disagreed with the subs, so we can agree on that.

I don't thing many are questioning Robbie's overall  tactical ability or his performance as a Manager here.

His subbing of Sow was however baffling to 99% of Hearts fans who were at the game, so to maintain the Robbie/Fan bond surely it would do no harm for him to give us his thinking behind it.

upgotheheads

neilson doesnt have a clue about tactics hes only in the job as CL,s puppett  if things go wrong neilson will make a good scapegoat 

We won the Championship by a mile.

As a newly promoted team we are third in the league.

RN has made thousands of managerial decisions in this time, we won the Championship by a mile and are third in the league.

Now, write out 100 times.

We are third in the league,

We are third in the league...........etc.

It is stupid posts like this that allow some on here to brand all those asking a perfectly reasonable question on why he subbed off Sow as "drama queens" and "numpties"

Amoruso_lets_it_run

Pretty sure trolling is against the rules of the board

we dont have the squad or mindset to be title challangers so fans need to stop dreaming

Hiya.

This appears to be trolling.

I think that is against the rules of the board.

see this vast bulk of supporters you're talking about, do you mean on kickback and Facebook or have u spoke to the majority of the 16,000 at the game?

well all the ones I ken, want to know if you're still howking your neebors divot?[emoji106] edit- if I've got the wrong guy, I am so sorry! [emoji1]

gorgie rd eh11

:stuart:

Neilson doesn't have to explain his tactics...ridiculous.

He just has to be big enough to admit within himself his mistakes and go about rectifying them, and in turn we hopefully see an improvement.

Only if things turn really sour and we never see a marked difference could then the supporters be entitled to ask the manager to publicly explain things. He'd probably be out the door before he could anyway.

We are miles from that though, we're actually looking in the other direction.

The Sow substitution appears to be a major bone of contention.

It is possible that Robbie is protecting him as he had a lot of problems with injury last season. However, he has started every league game so far only playing the full 90 once against Aberdeen and was subbed after 91 in the opening game.

The rest of the games have seen him subbed in 54, 59, 58, 64, 81, 60, 65 and 74 on Saturday. I know he's been poor in a few of these games, especially the away games, but the stats could lead you to believe that there may be more to his being substituted than just tactics.

JamboJohn1874

This forum, like Facebook, Twitter and the rest, will have the same percentage of people's opinions as any other walk of life. Just because someone plays for or manages our club, does not make them immune from scrutiny. There are too many maroon tinted apologists around and all these people ever do is accept lifetime of mediocrity for our club. I went through the 70's with this club and that was dreadful era, never again will I accept anything less than the best we can do.

It is good to constantly try and better what you have and aim higher, otherwise loser is something you will get used to.

It is possible that Robbie is protecting him as he had a lot of problems with injury last season. However, he has started every league game so far only playing the full 90 once against Aberdeen and was subbed after 91 in the opening game.

The rest of the games have seen him subbed in 54, 59, 58, 64, 81, 60, 65 and 74 on Saturday. I know he's been poor in a few of these games, especially the away games, but the stats could lead you to believe that there may be more to his being substituted than just tactics.

Robbie's big on sports science. This will have a major impact on how long the big man plays from game to game.

Personally, I totally agree that he should be wrapped up in cotton wool. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a part of the game now. I'm glad we've moved forward and not stuck with the last regime's practices.

We should've easily seen out that game. Should've had it won way before the substitution.

Can't blame the manager for poor finishing!

In none of the games when he was subbed was Sow running riot as he was against Killie.  In fact he was subbed because he was dire in quite a few of these games.

Sow had Killie shitting their pants every time he got the ball with 3 men trying to stop him.  When he got pulled they must have breathed a huge sigh of relief, and the momentum in the game changed.

Neilson doesn't have to explain his tactics...ridiculous.

He just has to be big enough to admit within himself his mistakes and go about rectifying them, and in turn we hopefully see an improvement.

Only if things turn really sour and we never see a marked difference could then the supporters be entitled to ask the manager to publicly explain things. He'd probably be out the door before he could anyway.

We are miles from that though, we're actually looking in the other direction.

I do not think that anybody really want Robbie to explain his tactics, however his subbing of Sow has baffled the vast majority of Hearts fans and a bit of an explanation in his usual post match interview on Hearts World would surely not be too much to ask.

Even if it was "I am protecting him from injury" or indeed "I got it wrong and we'll learn from it" would have nipped all this in the bud.

Archived