Will people in say, 300 years time be able to look at our internet comments

Australis

Guest Bilel Mohsni

There's already laws for having things removed. I'd imagine the internet will have changed so much by then, that it will no longer exist. It's already evolved from search engine to personal profile and personalised targeted advertising and searching. It'll just become a more personalised entity as technology allows for better and more convenient information access and distribution.

Just in case they can............. Hibs* were ******* shite.

*Hibs: A Scottish football team that disbanded around the year 2017.  

There's already laws for having things removed. I'd imagine the internet will have changed so much by then, that it will no longer exist. It's already evolved from search engine to personal profile and personalised targeted advertising and searching. It'll just become a more personalised entity as technology allows for better and more convenient information access and distribution.

I think I'm right in saying the articles or comments aren't removed, they just aren't displayed as "hits" on search engine results.

It's an interesting topic. The "internet" is vast and preserving it and all the comments, cat pictures etc seems an impossible job.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think I'm right in saying the articles or comments aren't removed, they just aren't displayed as "hits" on search engine results.

It's an interesting topic. The "internet" is vast and preserving it and all the comments, cat pictures etc seems an impossible job.

Probably man. It's not my strong subject. Probably it would be preserved on local vast servers as opposed to anyone ever having a complete overview of the whole thing? I dunno. Fascinating topic though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Definitely preserved so that in 300 years time, the equivalent of Who Do You Think You Are will find out that your ancestors were total arseholes!

I wasn't really asking for an answer, just thinking about history. Historians are frustrated at how little was written down in the dark ages. Hopefully all the shite that the likes of us write online can be preserved so that future generations have a good understanding of what life is like now. It seems like it could easily disappear or be lost as the OP says.

Definitely preserved so that in 300 years time, the equivalent of Who Do You Think You Are will find out that your ancestors were total arseholes!

Aye, that's more or less what I'm getting at.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Aye, that's more or less what I'm getting at.

It has often been said that history is written by the victors.

This would no longer apply if we were not dependent upon history books. Freedom of information on a semi-global scale has changed that. Now in order to influence what people think/remember about historical events, the new method is the flooding of public misinformation and the cult of double bluff/conspiracy theory.

It has often been said that history is written by the victors.

This would no longer apply if we were not dependent upon history books. Freedom of information on a semi-global scale has changed that. Now in order to influence what people think/remember about historical events, the new method is the flooding of public misinformation and the cult of double bluff/conspiracy theory.

I'm not so sure. There is a lot of propaganda (and shite) as there always has been. Social media has provided an outlet for people's thoughts which has never been available before, and people's opinions differ massively from official accounts. We don't know what the ordinary Mongol or Viking thought about things so we just take an overall view.

The internet, as it is now, seems like a future historians dream. They can look at what happened, what officials said happened, what people thought happened and also get a victim perspective. We live right here right now and most of the time we don't know exactly what happened and why. If an unbiased 300 years in the future historian had access to all the opinions they might be able to make sense of what actually happened, who made it happen and why they made it happen.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm not so sure. There is a lot of propaganda (and shite) as there always has been. Social media has provided an outlet for people's thoughts which has never been available before, and people's opinions differ massively from official accounts. We don't know what the ordinary Mongol or Viking thought about things so we just take an overall view.

The internet, as it is now, seems like a future historians dream. They can look at what happened, what officials said happened, what people thought happened and also get a victim perspective. We live right here right now and most of the time we don't know exactly what happened and why. If an unbiased 300 years in the future historian had access to all the opinions they might be able to make sense of what actually happened, who made it happen and why they made it happen.

All good points. Look at it retrospectively though. If historians had access to such detailed accounts of public opinion from 300 years ago while you or I were at school, would history lessons have followed the same curricular path? Just off the top of my head; The highland clearances and the signing of the Act of Union would be taught differently if the wealth of data about public opinion which was available was similar to now.

I don't know how stuff like that is stored - but wouldn't any storage medium (hard disk etc) degrade?

Will there still be a western civilisation in 300 years?

There's an interesting thing about how do we warn future generations - 10s of thousands of years in the future - about any high-level nuclear waste dumps. No civilisation or language has lasted a fraction of that time.

Archived