Should Romanov Go Back In For McGhee ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Should Romanov go back in for Mark McGhee ?

He seemingly head-hunted him for 5 months , he really wanted McGhee .

McGhee had boarded his bags and was only a few minutes himself from

going to Lithuania to seal the deal which would have quadrupled his salary .

Is the Hearts job too big for Mark McGhee , too challenging , did he lack

ambition as he said it was too premature for him . If so maybe it was for

the best .

Is it worth another try to see if Mark McGhee regrets his decsion ?

If at first you don't succeed , try again .

No!! Sod him, he's had his chance and used us to screw a few quid from Boyle. I still think there may be developments at Celtic and that he fancies his chances. I don't.

Only a Game

If he's going back for him it would have to be ?1million pounds on the table for Motherwell and he can write his own contract. In other words, a deal that neither McGhee nor Motherwell can say NO to.

Thats a climb down that Romanov would just not be able to publicly do.

Aint gonna happen

Csaba's Broon Shoes
If he's going back for him it would have to be ?1million pounds on the table for Motherwell and he can write his own contract. In other words, a deal that neither McGhee nor Motherweel can say NO to.

Thats a climb down that Romanov would just not be able to publicly do.

Aint gonna happen

Has any new contract been signed yet though ?

Guest jackdaddy2008

I never wanted Mark Mcgoo.

He has managed quite a few clubs, and has a knack of doing well initially, then fading. He was a good last resort and a step in the right direction, but c'mon, did you all honestly deep down want him in the dugout?

If I had to pick one who manages in Scotland right now, it would have to be Levein again, but thats not going to happen, he would never work for Vlad, its the main reason he left us as quickly as he did.

Chisholm - why on earth?

Jefferies - you must be joking?

Who else is there?

Its going to have to be someone else from outside Scotland.

For me, Avrum Grant is good at Eastern European ass licking and is a good manager. With the right coaching team, I think he could do wonders in Edinburgh, but I don't think its likely he would even listen to an approach.

Steve Clarke? - Has he ever been to Scotland? Does he even know who Hearts play in the league? He is not the man for the job.

Souness? - He is another who has managed a few too many clubs badly recently. Plus, he has got that Rangers history thing going on.

So who is the obvious choice?

I think its going to have to be an overseas or English appointment.

I would like to see a bit of arrogance in our next manager, someone who rips the media a bit. We need a bit of swagger back.

Only a Game
Has any new contract been signed yet though ?

He was contracted for another year anyway so I dont see the difference. It would take a whole heap of money for Motherwell to release him now, the sort of money we'd be daft to pay and they'd be daft to turn down.. And it would take a cast iron written guarantee of non interference in the football side and some get out clauses for McGhee to even consider re-thinking it. Plus I dont actually think he saw the need to go to Lithuania for eight days so that would be out as well..

I never wanted Mark Mcgoo.

He has managed quite a few clubs, and has a knack of doing well initially, then fading. He was a good last resort and a step in the right direction, but c'mon, did you all honestly deep down want him in the dugout?

If I had to pick one who manages in Scotland right now, it would have to be Levein again, but thats not going to happen, he would never work for Vlad, its the main reason he left us as quickly as he did.

Chisholm - why on earth?

Jefferies - you must be joking?

Who else is there?

Its going to have to be someone else from outside Scotland.

For me, Avrum Grant is good at Eastern European ass licking and is a good manager. With the right coaching team, I think he could do wonders in Edinburgh, but I don't think its likely he would even listen to an approach.

Steve Clarke? - Has he ever been to Scotland? Does he even know who Hearts play in the league? He is not the man for the job.

Souness? - He is another who has managed a few too many clubs badly recently. Plus, he has got that Rangers history thing going on.

So who is the obvious choice?

I think its going to have to be an overseas or English appointment.

I would like to see a bit of arrogance in our next manager, someone who rips the media a bit. We need a bit of swagger back.

:laugh:

That would be the Scottish Steve Clarke?

vlad wont go back for that piece of ****we need loyalty frail had that but just did not happen for him

To answer the OP's question. No I don't think we should. He had his chance amd he turned us down. Now I really hope we get the right man and **** Motherwell 3 times* next year and can get it right up McGhee.

*Just to be extra bitter, I want Motherwell in the bottom six. :)

Guest jackdaddy2008

:laugh:

That would be the Scottish Steve Clarke?

Yes, and the difference being?

jambos are go!

Sorry but MMs behaviour has been disgraceful IMO. He strung us along for 5 months when we could have been looking elsewhere. Who knows what influence he might have had on the decision making in that period. A nod or a wink here and there on arrivals and departures. Maybe caused coaching staff changes to be delayed. All this whilst keeping other options open.

Normally I give all Managers and players 100% backing from the start - but MM would not be welcomed by me even though it is noticeable that he is unusually invisible at the moment. He's got off lightly on here and in the media IMO.

Well, I'm pretty sure he's been to Scotland.

:P

Only a Game
Sorry but MMs behaviour has been disgraceful IMO. He strung us along for 5 months when we could have been looking elsewhere.

The other side of that coin is that we went along with it. We should have had this resolved weeks ago but instead we let him go to the end of the season. Eight weeks ago we could have and should have said "Its now or never or we look elsewhere"

Guest jackdaddy2008
Well, I'm pretty sure he's been to Scotland.

:P

Its crap how sarcasm is lost on public forums eh.:P

Steve Clarke signed for Chelsea from St. Mirren in 1987, went to work at Newcastle in 1998/99 for a while with Gullit and came back to Chelsea.

He played for Scotland twice or something.

Great coach, but out of touch with Scottish football and not proven as a manager to allow a coach to assist him adjust.

Championship beckons, probably Leicester city.

Wrong man for Hearts.

jambos are go!
The other side of that coin is that we went along with it. We should have had this resolved weeks ago but instead we let him go to the end of the season. Eight weeks ago we could have and should have said "Its now or never or we look elsewhere"

Yes we should have realised that but you ignore the pressure on VR to appoint and trust a British Manager. I wanted it and dare I say so did you. VR IMO wants someone who will help build a team beyond the short term and wants to take our Cinderella club to the Ball and not want jump into bed with a jealous ugly sister. Its a major problem for any ambitious Scottish Club.

JJ, Brown and maybe Scott Leitch for the future is a possibility.

Only a Game
Yes we should have realised that but you ignore the pressure on VR to appoint and trust a British Manager. I wanted it and dare I say so did you. VR IMO wants someone who will help build a team beyond the short term and wants to take our Cinderella club to the Ball and not want jump into bed with a jealous ugly sister. Its a major problem for any ambitious Scottish Club.

Quite true, but he has to realise that we will not be able to employ a British type manager worth his salt who doesnt have the ambition to go on and manage either of the OF or somewhere in the EPL. Such a man doesnt exist.

Its crap how sarcasm is lost on public forums eh.:P

Steve Clarke signed for Chelsea from St. Mirren in 1987, went to work at Newcastle in 1998/99 for a while with Gullit and came back to Chelsea.

He played for Scotland twice or something.

Great coach, but out of touch with Scottish football and not proven as a manager to allow a coach to assist him adjust.

Championship beckons, probably Leicester city.

Wrong man for Hearts.

Leicester are in League One...

The sarcasm must have been lost :D

Guest jackdaddy2008
Leicester are in League One...

The sarcasm must have been lost :D

Oops!

I knew Clarke was Scottish though.

Oops!

I knew Clarke was Scottish though.

:D

Hopefully this is the last thread calling for McGhee, it's time to forget.

Davies for Hearts!

portobellojambo1

the best .

Think the simple answer is no, and it doesn't need to be expanded on.

Guest jackdaddy2008

If we weren't all so scared that we get some radge from the eastern blok, would we have settled for Mark Mcgoo in the first place?

The standard of the SPL wasn't that high last season compared to other seasons recently, he got Motherwell to finish highly, big deal, he inherited a not bad team from Butcher and works for a chairman who genuinely wants the team to play well.

We can and should do better.

I think its gonna have to be an Englishman or immerging European boss though.

Neil Warnock with the right coaches could be becoming my favorite candidate.

If we weren't all so scared that we get some radge from the eastern blok, would we have settled for Mark Mcgoo in the first place?

The standard of the SPL wasn't that high last season compared to other seasons recently, he got Motherwell to finish highly, big deal, he inherited a not bad team from Butcher and works for a chairman who genuinely wants the team to play well.

We can and should do better.

I think its gonna have to be an Englishman or immerging European boss though.

You're actually a bit strange, aren't you? Deluded maybe.

embra jam tart

No Vlad should not go back in for MM. He knocked us back and in doing so showed a clear lack of ambition as we could of furthered his career alot more than Motherwell could have!

Saying that i'm not sure i fancy JJ or CL so i dunno! Can I be manager?

Guest jackdaddy2008
You're actually a bit strange, aren't you? Deluded maybe.

How do you work that out?

Think the simple answer is no, and it doesn't need to be expanded on.

I think the simple answer is indeed no,

but if the question was do you think Romanov will go back in for McGhee?............................;)

Jambosimmy
:D

Hopefully this is the last thread calling for McGhee, it's time to forget.

Davies for Hearts!

exactly he has stated that he wants to stay at M/well. lets move on and pursue someone else. I have no idea who is going to be appointed, nobody does.

My concern is that we end up with another unknown!! someone who has manager mk russia, fc latvia etc. I remember getting excited about a new manager after the burley affair and i am still waiting!!;);)

zdrastvway

No way should we be going back for McGhee. From what we know, he acted disgracefully in the saga that has just ended. If the final twist was designed to greatly increase Motherwell's compensation and McGhee's influence and control in the post of Hearts manager, it has backfired.

However, there must have been more to it than that. Looking back, it would seem that McGhee has strung us along for months, perhaps with no intention at all of doing anything other than he has done - looking after himself and himself alone.

Let him stay exactly where he is, enjoy his day trip into Europe and await the call from Celtic Park to be invited to the surprise party to welcome WGS' successor.

Dagger Is Back

No way - **** him!

He had his chance and he made his choice after stringing us along.

Let's just see where his Motherwell career goes next season. I'll give you money now that they don't finish 3rd. May just make top 6.

MM is a one season wonder - he is as far away from sustained football success as Renee and Renata where to being pop stars.

Tried that already unfortunately. Can't see him leaving Crystal Palace for us.

Would have been my choice if available but ain't goin to happen I'm afraid.

Well he was born in Scotland, so that would cover the being here part. He played for St Mirren for 5 years, so presumably he would have played against Hearts...

It looked for the most part like Celtic were out the title race so he may have thought Strachan would have been punted in time for him to know if Celtic wanted him.

Had Strachan been punted and McGhee wasn't in the running, he would have taken up Vlad's offer.

This hasn't happened and he know's Vlad wouldn't let him leave for Celtic so he's forced to stay put until Strachan adventually leaves.

This is all theory. :)

This hasn't happened and he know's Vlad wouldn't let him leave for Celtic so he's forced to stay put until Strachan adventually leaves.

This is all theory. :)

How exactly would that have worked, would he have kidnapped him and locked him away in one of his submarines?

Here is a theory, Mark McGhee just decided that the Hearts job just wasn't for him and decided to stay at Motherwell.

portobellojambo1
I think the simple answer is indeed no,

but if the question was do you think Romanov will go back in for McGhee?............................;)

Possibly a cynical way of thinking it through but based on your revised question I think if McGhee had had some sort of historical link to Hearts, previous player, manager, had followed the club as a fan, I don't doubt he would try again and use the "leaning" game.

But McGhee doesn't have that sort of tie with the club and I think Hearts will maintain there stance of "he will not be interviewed further".

Time to move on and look about again, but hopefully with a bit of speed built into the process. Although it is only a friendly (versus Glentoran) we are effectively only around 6 weeks away from our first game of the new season, and speed is now of the essence (in my opinion).

Geoff Kilpatrick
Simple answer is no

We offered he rejected............... move on

Correct.

gordon the jambo

the best .

should go back with a hit man:dribble:

Possibly a cynical way of thinking it through but based on your revised question I think if McGhee had had some sort of historical link to Hearts, previous player, manager, had followed the club as a fan, I don't doubt he would try again and use the "leaning" game.

But McGhee doesn't have that sort of tie with the club and I think Hearts will maintain there stance of "he will not be interviewed further".

Time to move on and look about again, but hopefully with a bit of speed built into the process. Although it is only a friendly (versus Glentoran) we are effectively only around 6 weeks away from our first game of the new season, and speed is now of the essence (in my opinion).

I don't think Vlad is a man who gives up too easy. Highly likely I'm wrong, but I think we don't know the half of it, they're unlikely to put updates on the website saying "we're still gnawing away at him, will keep you posted".

If I knew a bookie who'd take my money, I'd still put a small amount on MM being Hearts manager first game of the season.

kennygarland1

McGhee was a shoe in for the job for mths,the ONE major factor in his not signing was Romanovs refusal to give him TOTAL control over everything football,that included who he fielded and signed.He had no problem with leaving the contract side of things to the club,but he wanted control over who he signed,money permitting of course.I was never one of the ones baying for Romanovs blood and i even signed up early for my season ticket as i had been reliably informed McGhee was going to be our next manager,or i thought i'd been.I now feel totally dismayed and cannot see where we go from here,who the hell will take the job if they cannot be given any kind of assurances they will be allowed to field their own team or sign their own players?The future i fear is very bleak indeed and i cannot seem to shake this impending feeling of doom.

PS Who can honestly put their hand on their heart and say McGhee did'nt do the right thing?Would anyone in their right mind take on a job under such constraints?

I don't think Vlad is a man who gives up too easy. Highly likely I'm wrong, but I think we don't know the half of it, they're unlikely to put updates on the website saying "we're still gnawing away at him, will keep you posted".

If I knew a bookie who'd take my money, I'd still put a small amount on MM being Hearts manager first game of the season.

:rofl:

McGhee was a shoe in for the job for mths,the ONE major factor in his not signing was Romanovs refusal to give him TOTAL control over everything football,that included who he fielded and signed.He had no problem with leaving the contract side of things to the club,but he wanted control over who he signed,money permitting of course.

Says Who?

Go again? Nope.

I'd really love it (think Keegan voice) if we rogered him and his pishy wee team thrice next season - once we've got a better manager than him in place.

Probably won't happen but a guy can dream, eh?

Your avatar is very apt in your case;)

Brilliant completely avoid my question.

From what McGhee has told us, so assuming he is not lying, he was about to step onto the plane to Vilnius to have discussions with mad vlad and for whatever reason decides to about turn. So I take it from what you have said, the Mad one, or one of his cronies phoned him and told him that he wouldn?t have full control!!!!!!!!

Oh and just for the record I am not a Romanov fan and the avatar is a tribute to most of the posters on here.

Drylaw Hearts
McGhee was a shoe in for the job for mths,the ONE major factor in his not signing was Romanovs refusal to give him TOTAL control over everything football,that included who he fielded and signed.He had no problem with leaving the contract side of things to the club,but he wanted control over who he signed,money permitting of course..

Link ?

Source ?

kennygarland1
Link ?

Source ?

I said on here months ago that McGhee was our next manager,for obvious reasons i cannot reveal my source. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that the man would take the job in a heartbeat if he could be given 2 simple assurances ,ones which he was told he WOULD be given mths ago,so what the hell Romanov is playing at now is anyones guess.

Cut The Crap
I said on here months ago that McGhee was our next manager,for obvious reasons i cannot reveal my source. But i can tell you with 100% certainty that the man would take the job in a heartbeat if he could be given 2 simple assurances ,ones which he was told he WOULD be given mths ago,so what the hell Romanov is playing at now is anyones guess.

More plausible than all the twaddle about an "emotional tie with Motherwell" and wanting to "manage in Europe", to be honest.

So can you not ask your 'source' what stopped him boarding the plane to seek these assurances? :rolleyes:

Archived