14 day cooling off period

Tommy Brown

I signed a contract to get soffits replaced with a firm. It states I have a 14 day cooling off period.

But it does Also state that I may be charged for materials purchased.

I am now in day 7 and wanting to cancel. They wanted to start on Thursday (ie. within the cooling off period)

How legally binding is the The contract, can I refuse to pay anything.

Point being, the materials can be used on any other job and not specific to my house.

Genuine answers please guys.

Have you told them you want to cancel and actually seen what they say? They might just accept your cancellation with no problem.

There may be a provision that allows them to charge for materials or other expenses even if you pull out during cooling off.

How long are the T&Cs?

They got shifty at first, threatening me with paying for maaterials. I didn't get into an argument and didn't say I would pay or wouldn't pay. I then told them I had to hang up as my phone was about to die.

I bounced their next couple of calls, I then got a text saying all was OK.

They were chancing their arm, which was fair enough, I would be a bit pissed too.

Still wondering if the contract was wordless or not.

You should have received cancellation rights from the trader. E-mail (then follow it up with a letter, recorded delivery preferably) them that you want to withdraw from the contract as per your rights under the Consumer Contracts(Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regs 2013. 

If the parts you ordered were not bespoke ie made for your particular specification like windows or a made to measure suit, you should not have to pay anything.

Archived