We've still got a long way to go yet..

Dalstonjambo

Incredible quote from John Hughes in the article on Ryan Christie signing for ICT..

"If Glasgow Celtic or Rangers come calling you don't turn the Old Firm down, but everybody is forgetting it has to be right for Inverness."

IMO to improve the game in this country we need to shed this mentality, not nurture it. If we have players, managers and clubs who see the peak of a career at either of those clubs mentioned (one whom is currently in the championship lets not forget!!) we can't progress.

Hughes has been discussed as some sort of excellent coach and visionary in the media - seems he's as backward as most. Makes you realise how lucky we are with our setup. 

I seen this myself and agree with you 100%, Latapy said something about it as well.  This whole playing for the old firm to further your career is a lot of rubbish,  although the only thing I will say is that they are now playing the Scottish guys that they sign a little bit more than they did 10 years ago, I still think young Scottish guys should learn their trade at their club for 3/4 years then move down south or abroad..

Don't agree with Hughes comments at all. We need to get past that in Scottish football. 

However, I (begrudgingly) like that Celtic are signing more young scottish talent. It can only be good for these guys to train with a better squad. It all depends if they get regular football to go with it. In Christie's case I don't think that'll be the case. 

Teuchterjambo

Don't agree with Hughes comments at all. We need to get past that in Scottish football. 

However, I (begrudgingly) like that Celtic are signing more young scottish talent. It can only be good for these guys to train with a better squad. It all depends if they get regular football to go with it. In Christie's case I don't think that'll be the case. 

It seems strange to me that they continue to sign Scottish players from Scottish clubs when they have very publicly been branded as not quick or clever enough by that prick Collins !

michael_bolton

To be honest, you can't blame Hughes for that. Christie will go there and make loads of money, win trophies, play in Europe (briefly) and have a good chance of playing for Scotland.

He can also use it as a stepping stone to a move to a good Championship team or a Premier League team in England. If he goes to England from ICT he'll be off to somewhere pish.

There's no dressing up that for a non-old firm player a move to the old firm is a huge opportunity. But nobody is saying it has to be the peak of his career. Not even Hughes. It's an opportunity.

Horatio Caine

I don't exactly see a conveyor belt of talent flowing from either of the OF clubs.  They let another club develop talent then they plunder it.

If they're so good with their standards, training, etc, why don't they develop their own talent?

michael_bolton

I don't exactly see a conveyor belt of talent flowing from either of the OF clubs.  They let another club develop talent then they plunder it.

If they're so good with their standards, training, etc, why don't they develop their own talent?

I agree. But that's not really the point of this thread, or of Hughes' quote.

michael_bolton

I honestly don't know what kind of enjoyment people get from supporting a football team if they agree with Hughes. :unsure:

What's the point in living in denial? There will be very few players playing in Scotland right now who wouldn't bite your arm off for a move to Celtic.

Money, trophies, international football, Europe, possible future transfers... We can dislike it as much as we want, but as a career move it's a no-brainer.

Not sure if it still exists but The Netherlands had an under 24, 25 rule where you can't buy a player from another club in your league.

I think we should have something similar.

If it's ok by former European giants Ajax then wee club Celtic should be ok with it......aye right.

Sepp's Bladder

What's the point in living in denial? There will be very few players playing in Scotland right now who wouldn't bite your arm off for a move to Celtic.

Money, trophies, international football, Europe, possible future transfers... We can dislike it as much as we want, but as a career move it's a no-brainer.

I agree completely. Do people honestly believe that hearts players wouldn't join celtic if they could?

For me it would be a decision between trophies, europe and being a big fish compared to playing in the championship.

I agree completely. Do people honestly believe that hearts players wouldn't join celtic if they could?

For me it would be a decision between trophies, europe and being a big fish compared to playing in the championship.

I completely disagree. You only have to look at the OF's record of signing young Scottish players to see you've got a far greater chance of wasting your career than developing it.

Celtic have been signing up more Scottish players as a cheap option because they didn't expect any sort of a challenge for the title without Rangers in the division. Rangers will come up next season. If Aberdeen and ourselves can push Celtic this season, and having failed to get to the Champions League they'll spend big next season. Players like Ryan Christie won't be first choice.

I completely disagree. You only have to look at the OF's record of signing young Scottish players to see you've got a far greater chance of wasting your career than developing it.

Celtic have been signing up more Scottish players as a cheap option because they didn't expect any sort of a challenge for the title without Rangers in the division. Rangers will come up next season. If Aberdeen and ourselves can push Celtic this season, and having failed to get to the Champions League they'll spend big next season. Players like Ryan Christie won't be first choice.

spot on.   

Hang on. Surely he can't be clever enough or quick enough for them if he plays for Inverness. 

That's where squareheid comes in though.  He takes regular cleverness and quickness sessions with the younger players, so they can all become as quick and clever as he is.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

It seems strange to me that they continue to sign Scottish players from Scottish clubs when they have very publicly been branded as not quick or clever enough by that prick Collins !

Totally agree on this one. Even stranger he stuck by the remarks and stranger still this is acceptable to the supporters

Sepp's Bladder

What you say is true. However, there is truth in both sides of the arguement. Scottish players now have a much better chance at the OF as they can't afford quality foreign players anymore. If you are on the bench, you can still be proactive and look for a loan; keep developing and continue your chances of making it at a huge club

spot on. show me anyone in life who would not move to a bigger company/club for more money, better international prospects and European football.

Also the percentage of Scots who go down south and return up here within a season or 2 is very high so just by going down south instead of Celtic hardly means your going to 'make it'

:spoton:

As we hear often enough, football is a short career and if you are given the chance to boost your bank balance, win some trophies, potentially play international football and maybe get a move to England, then why not??

If it all goes breasts skywards, then you've at least made some decent cash and you will find your level again soon enough.

It's not perfect or the way we'd want it to be, but it's sadly the way it is.

The Future's Maroon

Its all weird for me, Celtic (albeit via Collins) said Scottish players basically are/were not good enough to give them a challenge. Yet this evening they sign ANOTHER Scottish player, so three from D Utd/one from Hibs/One from ICT being their most recent signings...no wonder the rest of Scottish football is not good enough to challenge them, because they keep signing the oppositions best players.

And this hasnt just been a recent thing, Scott Brown/Ratboy/Griffiths at one side, Thomson/Whittaker/Miller/Templeton/Black/Wallace on the other?!

I will have missed loads over recent years I know - but how can they expect a challenge if they snap up the best players us "smaller" teams have?

I hate Rangers & Celtic, I dislike Hibs - that is my wee stance.

All roads lead to Gorgie

When the arse cheeks are reunited this talk of Scottish players rushing to join them will soon peter out and spending abroad will soon become a reality again as their deluded fans demand one-upmanship signings. If players choose to waste an opportunity to develop to the highest degree and then ply their trade at a level well above OF level then that is up to them but it is poor judgment and people like Hughes should refrain from encouraging such lack of ambition.

michael_bolton

The people who are crtiticising Hughes on this thread: Can you name me one player playing in Scotland at the moment who you think wouldn't go to Celtic given the chance?

I bet there isn't one.

Archived