Wifi blackspot in house

Stuart Lyon

Recently changed over to Virgin media for broadband and phone. The broadband is excellent and the wifi copes well except in one upstairs room which seems to be a "blackspot". I tried using power line adapters but the remote one didn't pair up with the one linked into the superhub. I returned it and with some difficulty got my  money back. I then went and bought a Netgear wifi extender and I think I successfully set it up as it appeared on my network choices but it hasn't improved things in the problem area. Anyone got any help to offer?

Recently changed over to Virgin media for broadband and phone. The broadband is excellent and the wifi copes well except in one upstairs room which seems to be a "blackspot". I tried using power line adapters but the remote one didn't pair up with the one linked into the superhub. I returned it and with some difficulty got my  money back. I then went and bought a Netgear wifi extender and I think I successfully set it up as it appeared on my network choices but it hasn't improved things in the problem area. Anyone got any help to offer?

Don't go into the room.

It's obviously a message from the spirit world telling you to keep the room as it was.

acorah1.jpg?w=510

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Right beside my aquarium. Comfiest seat in the house, virtually no Wi-Fi signal. Think it might be because of the tank?

Right beside my aquarium. Comfiest seat in the house, virtually no Wi-Fi signal. Think it might be because of the tank?

Can wifi penetrate 10 inches of steel plating?

7012.jpg

luckyBatistuta

Can wifi penetrate 10 inches of steel plating?

7012.jpg

No need to shite yer Panzer

JudyJudyJudy

Hi mate i have similar issue with my wifi ( virgin too) and ive been recommended to buy some kind of adapter ( cant remember the right name) which will help it but it costs around ?70 

Rudolf's Mate

Which model did you buy?

I have one and it's brilliant. If it's similar to mine then you should have several lights on the front of the extender. All these lights should be green. If there's any which aren't then you'll have to check your manual to see which one and determine what the issue is.

It should also take you to the setup page. Couldn't be arsed searching for the official setup clip but this guy takes you through it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftKPpOZbfGo I have a different model from the one he's showing and it was the same setup for mine.

One thing I will say is they recommend putting the extender roughly half the distance from the problem area. Mine was in a room with thick walls and the signal to the room was very good therefore I put my extender just outside the room. 

Better call Saul

Had the same issue

the plug in extenders only work if upstairs and downstairs are on the same circuit

had wifi extenders and they were ok for a bit then got worse and the speed you get is further reduced when using extenders should you need it for gaming

In the end I had to move my super hub into the most central point in the house pulling up carpets and moving furniture

my kids game a lot and need their connections to be wired .

Had the same issue

the plug in extenders only work if upstairs and downstairs are on the same circuit

had wifi extenders and they were ok for a bit then got worse and the speed you get is further reduced when using extenders should you need it for gaming

In the end I had to move my super hub into the most central point in the house pulling up carpets and moving furniture

my kids game a lot and need their connections to be wired .

According to the good people at Maplin powerline adapters made by Devolo can cross circuits. I got BT ones as in a one floor flat and they've not been perfect so far. Often shows full wireless activity but won't connect to devices. This seems to be emedied by turning the hub on and off.

Get one of these....... only ?20 from b&q. http://www.diy.com/departments/belkin-wireless-range-extender/1059138_BQ.prd

Got the inlaws one a few months ago amd works a treat. Very easy to set up too.

Just remember you need to plug it in somewhere where you still have a strong wifi signal en route to your blackspot so it can boost it there. You lose a little speed on the way but its better than no signal.

Better call Saul

According to the good people at Maplin powerline adapters made by Devolo can cross circuits. I got BT ones as in a one floor flat and they've not been perfect so far. Often shows full wireless activity but won't connect to devices. This seems to be emedied by turning the hub on and off.

you learn something new everyday !

kickback has it benifits :wink:

Tried it again but the laptop (Mac) and iPhone 5s couldn't pick-up the signal whereas the iPad did! I'm confused.

Recently changed over to Virgin media for broadband and phone. The broadband is excellent and the wifi copes well except in one upstairs room which seems to be a "blackspot". I tried using power line adapters but the remote one didn't pair up with the one linked into the superhub. I returned it and with some difficulty got my money back. I then went and bought a Netgear wifi extender and I think I successfully set it up as it appeared on my network choices but it hasn't improved things in the problem area. Anyone got any help to offer?

Hi mate,

Give me your address and i will gladly see to your wifes blackspot.

Hi mate,

Give me your address and i will gladly see to your wifes blackspot.

*wife's* If an object or orafice belongs to a person you need to insert an apostrophe. You seem like a great guy though. Welcome and congratulations on an excellent first post.

finally linked my wifi to my phone today and downloaded tekken sonic mortal kombat and wrestling its the damage 

Archived