Two journalists shot dead during live broadcast in US

Dusk_Till_Dawn

:what:

What the **** is wrong with people?

Why...

You could drive yourself insane trying to figure out an answer to that question.

You could drive yourself insane trying to figure out an answer to that question.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Good clear view of the shooters face there. Hopefully he can be identified, captured and brought to justice.

Two ordinary people just doing their jobs and are shot dead...senseless.

Watched the video, that is terrible.

Nothing will ever change in the US because the all powerful gun lobby put profits ahead of lives.

Obama and many others have tried on numerous occasions to reform gun laws only to be blocked time and time again by senators who support the pro gun lobby. 

And everyday the carnage just goes on and on.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Watched the video, that is terrible.

Nothing will ever change in the US because the all powerful gun lobby put profits ahead of lives.

Obama and many others have tried on numerous occasions to reform gun laws only to be blocked time and time again by senators who support the pro gun lobby. 

And everyday the carnage just goes on and on.

It's one factor, but the biggest factor are the gun owners themselves who either resent the interference of the federal government or who feel that they have to have a gun to counter all the bad people who have guns.  It's an incredibly complex issue and one I don't think will ever be solved unfortunately.  Google Jim Jefferies gun rant to see just how ridiculous it actually is.

What will be interesting is the way that the media decide to play this now that 2 of their own were murdered like this.  It could see a change in editorial opinion. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Amazing what America gets up to in the world when it's so bad at controlling its own back yard.

That's an interesting one. Obama's time in government has actually not been as anti gun as people think and some laws have actually been relaxed. 

Very sad and pretty horrific.

Its a shame no matter how senseless the crime or undeserving the victim it won't change the US's attitude to gun control.

feel really sorry for both their families, cannot imagine what their going through

That is messed up.

"Disgruntled" ex-employee it appears to be, the Governor is saying.

Hopefully they'll get him then

Edit: BBC is saying

An unconfirmed report says he is being chased north on the Interstate 81 highway.

It's one factor, but the biggest factor are the gun owners themselves who either resent the interference of the federal government or who feel that they have to have a gun to counter all the bad people who have guns.  It's an incredibly complex issue and one I don't think will ever be solved unfortunately.  Google Jim Jefferies gun rant to see just how ridiculous it actually is.

What will be interesting is the way that the media decide to play this now that 2 of their own were murdered like this.  It could see a change in editorial opinion. 

You're in the US so maybe you'll know this better than I will.

I remember that during a report recently covering one of the black teenagers shot by the police (which is another matter entirely) anyway the American reporter said that there are many multiple shootings everyday in the US, resulting in many deaths, single, two here and there sometimes three at a time, however most don't even get reported or only a few seconds on the news channels because it happens so often now it's not headline news anymore.

If that is true and if that is the case then that's just shocking, that multiple shootings and deaths have become the norm in the US that they don't warrant much coverage any longer.

I agree with you about the fact that people resent the interference from the government, also they quote this 2nd amendment to justify the owning of firearms. 

You could be right about how the media handle this. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I remember that during a report recently covering one of the black teenagers shot by the police (which is another matter entirely) anyway the American reporter said that there are many multiple shootings everyday in the US, resulting in many deaths, single, two here and there sometimes three at a time, however most don't even get reported or only a few seconds on the news channels because it happens so often now it's not headline news anymore.

If that is true and if that is the case then that's just shocking, that multiple shootings and deaths have become the norm in the US that they don't warrant much coverage any longer.

I agree with you about the fact that people resent the interference from the government, also they quote this 2nd amendment to justify the owning of firearms. 

Same with bombings in Baghdad, to use an example from this country.

"Forty five people were killed by a suicide bomber in central Baghdad today. Another 200 are injured. Now, here's Chris with the weather."

crazy whoever done it used a rifle u can tell by the noise it wasnt a handgun

Looks like it could be a handgun from the screen capture on the link in this thread.

"Forty five people were killed by a suicide bomber in central Baghdad today. Another 200 are injured. Now, here's Chris with the weather."

Agreed, fair point.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Absolutely correct.  1897 shootings in Chicago alone this year.  I don't know how many were fatal but that's just one city in nearly 9 months.  Almost 3000 last year alone.  

You can bet that the anti-gun control groups will be writing their rhetoric to focus on the shooter and his reasons and not the fact that were he not able to access a gun so easily, this may not have happened.  It's incredible. 

At the risk of starting an off topic heated debate it says a lot that this is the top story on the BBC website yet another story that came in at the same time about 50 dead migrants being discovered in the hold of a ship is further down the page.

Absolutely correct.  1897 shootings in Chicago alone this year.  I don't know how many were fatal but that's just one city in nearly 9 months.  Almost 3000 last year alone.  

You can bet that the anti-gun control groups will be writing their rhetoric to focus on the shooter and his reasons and not the fact that were he not able to access a gun so easily, this may not have happened.  It's incredible. 

Absolutely shocking figures mate, and I agree it isn't going to end soon, if indeed ever, it is only going to get worst. 

It's being reported that the shooter is a disgruntled ex-employee of the news station.

At the risk of starting an off topic heated debate it says a lot that this is the top story on the BBC website yet another story that came in at the same time about 50 dead migrants being discovered in the hold of a ship is further down the page.

Yeh, it just got a 10 second footnote on the BBC news channel just now. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Christ, this lunatic has posted videos on his Twitter account of him approaching the three people and shooting them.

Seems to be alleging racism.

Christ, this lunatic has posted videos on his Twitter account of him approaching the three people and shooting them.

Just saw his footage on live leak.he points the gun for a good few seconds and she's totally oblivious. Absolutely astoundingly unbelievable

America is a great country sadly spoiled by morons like the Gun Lobby and Tea Party.

Would be amazing if the U.S. got its act together and sorted out gun control/removed guns from their society.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just saw his footage on live leak.he points the gun for a good few seconds and she's totally oblivious. Absolutely astoundingly unbelievable

Amazing that she was able to turn and run away, albeit only for a few seconds. Thought shots like that would have incapacitated someone immediately.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Apparently he's now shot himself too.

Unconfirmed Twitter stuff. Obviously.

Also, they believe he is her ex-boyfriend.

Sounds legit, tbh. Reuters have tweeted about it.

Creepy thing in the video - just before he shoots the girl, who can hear him whisper 'bitch'. What a scumbag

Looks like it could be a handgun from the screen capture on the link in this thread.

yeah sounded like a rifle but now looks like a handgun from point blank range crazy i didnt hear the whisper of "bitch" that another poster said u can hear

Hate to sound pedantic, but all the headlines talk about the journalist and cameraman. What about the woman who was interviewed? Did she survive?

Hate to sound pedantic, but all the headlines talk about the journalist and cameraman. What about the woman who was interviewed? Did she survive?

in hospital it seems but in confusion there has been different reports

this just happened in last hours

He filmed himself doing it apparently, and uploaded it to Twitter.

The clip doesn't show the actual gun shots it stops

second video shows the shots at the female and her turning and running

All there on YouTube sadly

Out of surgery and appears to be in a stable condition.

Thank god. I'm truly traumatised by this, can't stomach the fact that this shit is happening in 2015 and live in broad daylight.

When is it going to end?

Utterly insane that this can happen.

What a sick individual.

I've been watching the news channel doing tributes to the pair. It's heartbreaking.

I found the gunman's footage on line but couldn't bring myself to watch it. I have seen the footage that went out on live TV.

Sadly, nothing will be done. If you can't get any action after Sandy Hook, then this won't make any difference.

Seems to be a disgruntled former employee.

He used to be a reporter for the company himself.

He accused them of bullying and racism in the workplace, he gets fired, then sues the company, loses, goes batshit crazy and guns down the female reporter he had highlighted as the worst racist and bully in the place.

All allegedly, of course.

It's one factor, but the biggest factor are the gun owners themselves who either resent the interference of the federal government or who feel that they have to have a gun to counter all the bad people who have guns. It's an incredibly complex issue and one I don't think will ever be solved unfortunately. Google Jim Jefferies gun rant to see just how ridiculous it actually is.

What will be interesting is the way that the media decide to play this now that 2 of their own were murdered like this. It could see a change in editorial opinion.

Yup. The arms industry is obviously influential, but the simple fact is that gun laws are hard to change because lots of people like them as they are. It's hard to see what will ever change it. The level of gun violence is inevitable, but seems to be accepted by the US electorate.

It's a pretty major reason why I don't live there any more.

crazy whoever done it used a rifle u can tell by the noise it wasnt a handgun

You should have watched the video before posting.  You can clearly see the gun in the killers hand.

Amazing that she was able to turn and run away, albeit only for a few seconds. Thought shots like that would have incapacitated someone immediately.

Those were my thoughts too. At such close range she still had an opportunity to run. It's just awful she couldn't escape her fate

You should have watched the video before posting.  You can clearly see the gun in the killers hand.

was taken down by copyright when i went to that link so i went on utube and watched different version and in that version i didnt see the guy and it did sound like a rifle but if u look closely u will see i wrote underneath that indeed it was a handgun from close ranger which explains the sound

America is a great country sadly spoiled by morons like the Gun Lobby and Tea Party.

Would be amazing if the U.S. got its act together and sorted out gun control/removed guns from their society.

Weapons and warfare are 2 of their biggest industries and part of the psyche. Asking them to shun guns is like asking the Scots to ban alcohol.

Never going to happen.

Bridge of Djoum

Weapons and warfare are 2 of their biggest industries and part of the psyche. Asking them to shun guns is like asking the Scots to ban alcohol.

Never going to happen.

Agree with you, but the use of the word ''them'' is too often thrown around regards Americans. It's too diverse, big and complex to generalise so quickly.

I've lived here 3 years and yet to meet a person who doesn't believe in stricter gun control. Having said that, I live in NYC, where it is very liberal. Contrast that with let's say, some of the southern states, Texas, Florida etc, and the views are different. Even in the larger cities in these states, gun ownership is seen as your right, or at least, more people think so. 

For me, stricter checks on who can buy guns is the 1st step. Then, the type of weapon and reason for use. No one needs a Mac-10 or a Bushmaster. Sadly, even these basic steps are almost impossible to implement. 

As someone said in an earlier post, if, after Sandy Hook nothing is done, then nothing will be done. And that's a true tragedy. 

Never going to happen.

Indeed.

70 people shot in the last 72 hours in US.

Gun supporters pretty quick to defend themselves saying journalists should carry guns just like they said teachers should.

32,000 deaths from guns in 2013 in America. Not changing any time soon.

Archived