Would you be OK with the return of Jim Jefferies as manager?

shaun.lawson

JJ come home - yes or no?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. JJ come home - yes or no?

vegas-voss

Yes wanted him ages ago, before Frail became caretaker have recently be sidetracked by the more flavour of the month managers but the more i think about it JJ is the man for me.I'll say it again the most successful manager in Scotland outside the two goons in Glasgow.

Drylaw Hearts

Not my preffered option but as there is a shortage of realistic candidates he would be acceptable and I honestly think he could put us back on track.

The number of people who voted NO so far astounds me !

The question was would you be 'ok' with JJ - not is he your preferred candidate.

My God, 6 months ago the cry was a real manager . . any manager. Tango Man would have done. Now everyone is so bloody picky !

Guest JamboRobbo

The question was would you be 'ok' with JJ - not is he your preferred candidate.

My God, 6 months ago the cry was a real manager . . any manager. Tango Man would have done. Now everyone is so bloody picky !

Same here. I can't believe that people who have accepted and justified Malofeev and Frail in the past are now saying they wouldn't accept JJ. Unbelievable.

Geoff Kilpatrick

A qualified 'yes', simply because he's better than what we have or have access to.

Jambosimmy

stability is the key for me and jj would cetainly help with that. think we could do better but if he is interested i dont see why not

Hans von Luck

Have to say I would take mad Eddie back before the Tangoman.

On a serious note JJ would be OK but only for a short spell to steady the ship, I cant see him driving the club forward to what we and Vlad really want.

awadooningorgie2

On a serious note JJ would be OK but only for a short spell to steady the ship, I cant see him driving the club forward to what we and Vlad really want.

Jeez - hope springs eternal.....

If we want a revival in fortunes, increased player discipline and see an exodus of crap players ... I think JJ and BB would be as good as anyone and will do a tremendous job.

I'd also like to see them bring in Robbo as an attacking coach, retain Frail to work with the youth setup and also bring Back Gary Locke in a coaching capacity to help with squad discipline and camaraderie!

Hearts minded men is what we want and need... lets bring the good feeling back to Tynecastle!:)

Pants Shaton

I voted no.

I would be happier with JJ in charge than anyone since Burley but the fact that we'd be happy with Jefferies simply serves to prove how far we've fallen since 2005.

Hilary Briss

Not my first choice, but given the last few years we have had, I would take him in a second.

Guest casper

He'd be 'OK', but if he was brought in today I wouldn't be rushing out to renew my season ticket.

Gutted we never got MM.

But if anything comes out of that sorry episode is the feeling that we need someone who has emotional ties with Hearts and who must be hurting like us at the way the club is at this moment. Someone who will clear the decks, get us our pride back and will demand so much more from the bunch of imposters we witnessed last season.

JJ - C'mon on down.

shaun.lawson
I voted no.

I would be happier with JJ in charge than anyone since Burley but the fact that we'd be happy with Jefferies simply serves to prove how far we've fallen since 2005.

An interesting and fair response. Who are your preferred candidate(s), out of interest?

Guest GhostHunter

Question..

Given we almost had MM in a "done deal" save for the interference of "shome ohther chlub" (allegedly)...

Would going for/taking JJ not be construed as a backward step for Hearts/VR...after all - MM probably would have been successful.... ??

If we want a revival in fortunes, increased player discipline and see an exodus of crap players ... I think JJ and BB would be as good as anyone and will do a tremendous job.

I'd also like to see them bring in Robbo as an attacking coach, retain Frail to work with the youth setup and also bring Back Gary Locke in a coaching capacity to help with squad discipline and camaraderie!

Hearts minded men is what we want and need... lets bring the good feeling back to Tynecastle!:)

Christ we would have more coaches than players and that's saying something!!!! :)

Drylaw Hearts

Because of his previous treatment of players and Manager VR is going to struggle to drive us forward at any great speed.

It has taken 2 years to destroy what Burley and VR created in 2005 and I think because we will struggle to attract a top quality Manager at this time.

It will probaly take 2 years to repair our damaged reputation.

JJ will not win us the SPL or even get us second but imo with a handful of shrewd signings 3rd is very achievable.

A couple of Seasons with no off-field issues and no interference in the team along with the construction of a New Stand (hopefully) we will once again become an attractive option for a Manager of a decent standard.

JennyJambo

Yes. Beggars can't be choosers.

Too many people getting a bit too carried away. It's gonna take a bit of work to get us back to the level we should be at never mind this "next level".

A Hearts man, a proven experienced manager, a man who took us to 3 cup finals in 2 years or no-one? No brainer. :)

vegas-voss
Because of his previous treatment of players and Manager VR is going to struggle to drive us forward at any great speed.

It has taken 2 years to destroy what Burley and VR created in 2005 and I think because we will struggle to attract a top quality Manager at this time.

It will probaly take 2 years to repair our damaged reputation.

JJ will not win us the SPL or even get us second but imo with a handful of shrewd signings 3rd is very achievable.

A couple of Seasons with no off-field issues and no interference in the team along with the construction of a New Stand (hopefully) we will once again become an attractive option for a Manager of a decent standard.

Brilliant post.

Hilary Briss
Question..

Given we almost had MM in a "done deal" save for the interference of "shome ohther chlub" (allegedly)...

Would going for/taking JJ not be construed as a backward step for Hearts/VR...after all - MM probably would have been successful.... ??

I dont think you can count "almost" getting a manager as a step, therefore JJ has got to be step forward given the turmoil of the last few seasons.

Dr. Bapswent

Voting AYE does not mean JJ is your first and only choice.

It simply means he is good enough at this point in time to help us out.

That is all.

In that respect, yes, he is acceptable.

There are others who you may prefer, but this does not mean JJ would be a bad appointment.

only ticked yes because there was no last resort option, would prefer somebody with a higher profile to be honest

Guest JamboRobbo
Question..

Let me see.

Vlad and his puppets, or JJ.

Nope, it's definately not a step backwards.

Dr. Bapswent
Question..

Backwards from MM - yes.

Backwards from where the club currently is - No.

We never got MM, therefore he was not ours to lose. We cant really say, look at what we lost out on....so JJ is a step up, maybe not as high a step up as would want. But a step up from rock bottom is a move in the right direction. And right now, ill be happy with that.

vegas-voss

80% for JJ.

Someone tell VR and someone else tell JJ he is wanted by the fans.

shaun.lawson
Question..

Sadly, I'm convinced McGhee is the best we could have done - which is doubtless why we held out for so long over him. Any of the realistic alternatives are a step down from him, but that's where we are - and JJ would be a massive step up from the pyramid of poo.

vegas-voss
Backwards from MM - yes.

Backwards from where the club currently is - No.

Im not even sure he is that much of a step back from McGhee now.And yes i was buzzing thinking about McGhee but there overall records are similar in fact JJ's is better he has won something.

John Gentleman

"what we and Vlad really want" are, IMHO, mutually exclusive aspirations.

Drylaw Hearts
Question..

If you can't get your first choice then what option do you have ?

You are only ever going to go back the way !

JJ isn't a backward step from what we have now - it's just not as big a step forward as we all would have liked.

We have to be realistic in what we think we will attract.

VR has set his targets high before and settled for less :

Bobby Robson to Graham Rix.

Why can't he do it again ?

Ray Winstone

Would welcome JJ back to steady the ship for a couple of years - then move him upstairs and bring in someone else once he has got us back on track.

Maybe a bit too optimistic.

Guest JamboRobbo
Sadly, I'm convinced McGhee is the best we could have done - which is doubtless why we held out for so long over him.

It would certainly seem strange to wait 5 months to get our man, if as Dex is suggesting, we could decide to get a better man without the 5 month wait.

Pants Shaton
An interesting and fair response. Who are your preferred candidate(s), out of interest?

There is no good reason why Craig Levein could not be appointed Hearts manager; particularly if the January 1st statement was made in good faith.

Craig Levein would not turn down a huge wage rise and the chance to manage his club if he was sure his autonomy would be respected.

Billy Davies would be my next choice - though I'm not fully convinced by him.

Drylaw Hearts
Not with Billy Brown.:mad:

But yes with say Lockie and a. n. other.

I think BB would stay on at Killie.

I don't know what Locke would bring other than a bit of passion to the Club.

I'd prefere to see Elvis as JJ's No.2.

shaun.lawson
There is no good reason why Craig Levein could not be appointed Hearts manager; particularly if the January 1st statement was made in good faith.

Craig Levein would not turn down a huge wage rise and the chance to manage his club if he was sure his autonomy would be respected.

Billy Davies would be my next choice - though I'm not fully convinced by him.

I can think of a reason. Eddie Thompson.

As for Davies: for the life of me, I can't understand why the club doesn't seem to be considering him. Vlad's hatred of the OF, and fear of BD taking the Rangers job without a second thought, perhaps? Complications with his compo from Derby? It's a strange one.

Pants Shaton
I think BB would stay on at Killie.

I don't know what Locke would bring other than a bit of passion to the Club.

I'd prefere to see Elvis as JJ's No.2.

Agreed.

No one can doubt Locke's credentials as a Hearts supporter. But no one can doubt my credentials as a Hearts supporter and I wouldn't be a very good assistant manager.

Pants Shaton
I can think of a reason. Eddie Thompson.

As for Davies: for the life of me, I can't understand why the club doesn't seem to be considering him. Vlad's hatred of the OF, and fear of BD taking the Rangers job without a second thought, perhaps? Complications with his compo from Derby? It's a strange one.

Say Fulham get in touch with Levein's agent and enquire as to his availability to replace Roy Hodgson - does Levein head to the Premiership or honour Eddie Thompson?

shaun.lawson
Say Fulham get in touch with Levein's agent and enquire as to his availability to replace Roy Hodgson - does Levein head to the Premiership or honour Eddie Thompson?

Except that they won't. About the only bigger club likely to come in for CL in the immediate future is, er, us - and because of all the politics and nonsense Romanov's brought with him, it isn't worth it as far as Levein's concerned.

Stay at a club which can go for 3rd place, maybe win a Cup and get into Europe, where you're very popular amongst the fans, and have full autonomy, and tremendous job security, to the point of even being on the board? Or move to a club which can also only realistically go for 3rd place and maybe a Cup, where you have to fight tooth and nail for the autonomy which would be automatic at most other clubs, and where your job security is, to say the least, questionable?

As long as Romanov's around, I know what I'd choose: and I think it's the same in Craig's case too.

Pants Shaton
Except that they won't. About the only bigger club likely to come in for CL in the immediate future is, er, us - and because of all the politics and nonsense Romanov's brought with him, it isn't worth it as far as Levein's concerned.

Stay at a club which can go for 3rd place, maybe win a Cup and get into Europe, where you're very popular amongst the fans, and have full autonomy, and tremendous job security, to the point of even being on the board? Or move to a club which can also only realistically go for 3rd place and maybe a Cup, where you have to fight tooth and nail for the autonomy which would be automatic at most other clubs, and where your job security is, to say the least, questionable?

As long as Romanov's around, I know what I'd choose: and I think it's the same in Craig's case too.

The question of autonomy is far more pressing than any sense of loyalty to Eddie Thompson - that's the point I was making.

That Levein appears not to be even considering the Hearts job places a huge, though not unsurprising, question mark over the sincerity of the January 1st statement.

If Jim Jefferies comes to Hearts I think he will be more willing to compromise. If so he will have diminished the authority which made him a success the first time round.

I do not think it is the long term answer, he has past his prime and his record against Hibs and the Old Firm is actually quite poor, but I would be OK with it, given what realistic options are out there.

Now that Vlad is cutting the Hearts budget it might be a good idea. JJ with money to spend at Hearts gives me the cold shivers. Maybe being too harsh and he has now learned his lesson that spending ?500k on Petric might not have been his best deal.

Leave Vlad to sign players but JJ decides what positions to fill, who to play and who to sell? Might just work.

Pants Shaton
Now that Vlad is cutting the Hearts budget it might be a good idea. JJ with money to spend at Hearts gives me the cold shivers. Maybe being too harsh and he has now learned his lesson that spending ?500k on Petric might not have been his best deal.

Leave Vlad to sign players but JJ decides what positions to fill, who to play and who to sell? Might just work.

?500k plus ?500k wages.

If there has been a worse deal in the history of Hearts I'd like to hear about it.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I would love JJ back because I would see it as a sign that a real Hearts man was back at the club and as JJ is a very honest person, if Vlad started his old tricks re intereference, we would soon know it from JJ himself.

He knows the Club, knows the fans, knows what we are all about.

I could see maybe 2 years with himself steadying the ship and maybe after proving himself to Vlad, moving into some sort of Director of Football role with a younger guy being groomed for the coach/manager job eg Locke, Robbo, Fulton, Pressley (!) or even a return of Levein.

Right now. we truly need HEARTS men to get our club BACK.

JJ - defo.

Charlie-Brown

Yes I'd prefer good managers (and good Hearts men) like Jeffries or Levein to Billy Davies.

Gimme an H...

...and this DOESN'T give you the cold shivers??? Apart from Takis and Janny, this glorified Bank Manager has signed utter ****!!

Id much rather let my manager sign/release the players than let Vlad anywhere near team affairs. Fair enough let him give his opinions on players etc but dont just give him full consent to sign players.

Archived