Possible foriegn managers

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

Moving on from the possible British managers thread.I think this is an option Hearts should be looking at.I don't think anyone would really mind if we brought in a manager from Europe as long as he was not some clown from mickey mouse league division b or a former friend or cohort of Romanov's.

As for names im not sure right now but there must be some out there.

Scala has been learning English since 2005.

He must know enough now to say "stick the fax machine up your @rse Vlad" ? No ?

Drylaw Hearts

If you look at the records of non-UK Managers in Scottish Football it is hardly impressive.

IIRC, Advocaat and Janson are the only 2 that have been successful.

Seymour M Hersh
If you look at the records of non-UK Managers in Scottish Football it is hardly impressive.

How many have there been over the years?

Martin O'Neil did OK ?

TBH I can't remember any apart from PLG and the dross Vlad appointed. The EPL would suggest they can do a good job.

Toppmueller

Would agree with him.

Decent pedigree, respected, not scared to throw in youth, has been a manager in eastern europe so is aware of the talent that those places have and might not be as sceptical as some if VR suggests players from there.

rossmaroon

Did non-English speaking Ivan Golac not win Dundee United's first ever Scottish Cup in 1994?

Did Ivan Golac not win the Scottish Cup at Utd (i'm sure Utd fans thought that was successful). Did you not think it was successful when Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup with us?

Moving on from the possible British managers thread.I think this is an option Hearts should be looking at.I don't think anyone would really mind if we brought in a manager from Europe as long as he was not some clown from mickey mouse league division b or a former friend or cohort of Romanov's.

I did note the other day in the press interview with Fedotovas when asked if we were still going to appoint a manager with British Football experience he cleverly avoided answering the question directly.

He said Herats were still looking for a Manager and re-iterated the process etc but never actually said the new manager would be British.

There may be nothing in that but then if Romanov feels bitter against McGhee then he has a ready made excuse for not appointing a British Manager citing that you cannot take them at their word.

Guest GhostHunter
There may be nothing in that but then if Romanov feels bitter against McGhee then he has a ready made excuse for not appointing a British Manager citing that you cannot take them at their word.

He would have a point though, no ?

the voice from above

HIS POINT WOULD BE AS VALID AS SAYING ALL LITHUANIANS ARE DIVERS. SO NO.

Drylaw Hearts
Martin O'Neil did OK ?

TBH I can't remember any apart from PLG and the dross Vlad appointed. The EPL would suggest they can do a good job.

O'Neil is from the UK.

Foriegn Managers in Scotland top League since 1990 onwards :-

Aberdeen : Ebbe Skovdahl

Celtic : Wim Janson, Joseph Venglos, Liam Brady

Dundee : Ivano Bonetti

Dundee Utd : Ivan Golac

Hearts : Valdas Ivanaukas, Eduard Malofeev, Anatoli Korabochka, Angel Cerenkov.

Hibs : Mixi Paatelainen, Frank Sauzee

Livingston : Marcio Maximo

Motherwell : Harry Kampman

Rangers : Dick Advocaat, Paul Le Guen

That just from the top of my head.

And as I said earlier apart from Dick and Wim the rest were/are hopeless.

O'Neil is from the UK.

I think you will find a longer list of Scottish/British managers who have also been failures.

O'Neil is from the UK.

Hearts : Valdas Ivanaukas, Eduard Malofeev, Anatoli Korabochka, Angel Cerenkov.QUOTE]

Malofeev and Cerenkov are not listed as managers on the official website.

vegas-voss
O'Neil is from the UK.

Apart from the failure of Le Guen though they were hopeless before they came.

Drylaw Hearts
Did Ivan Golac not win the Scottish Cup at Utd (i'm sure Utd fans thought that was successful). Did you not think it was successful when Ivanauskas won the Scottish Cup with us?

Golac did win the Cup but did he not also get Utd relegated ?

I don't think Valdas can take much credit for winning the SC.

Drylaw Hearts
O'Neil is from the UK.

Hearts : Valdas Ivanaukas' date=' Eduard Malofeev, Anatoli Korabochka, Angel Cerenkov.QUOTE']

Malofeev and Cerenkov are not listed as managers on the official website.

That counts for nothing.

The website didn't even tell us Cerenkov had left the Club.

Seymour M Hersh
Golac did win the Cup but did he not also get Utd relegated ?

I don't think Valdas can take much credit for winning the SC.

Who does then?

Drylaw Hearts
I think you will find a longer list of Scottish/British managers who have also been failures.

Of course you will.

But what the list does show if that the majority of Foreign Managers do not last long because they are failures.

He certainly would, I just hope he does not go back to appointing another Valdas type!!!:confused:

Drylaw Hearts
Apart from the failure of Le Guen though they were hopeless before they came.

I agree.

But imo there isn't a Foriegn Manager available, one who is a realistic target for Hearts, who could do a decent job.

I honestly cannot think of one.

Guest GhostHunter

Own up - who was it...

Hearts FC

A source within Tynecastle has informed me that Vladimir Romanov has held discussions with Skonto Riga coach Paul Ashworth about becoming the new manager. Ashworth is a 38 year old Englishman who has been managing in the Baltics for the last six years, while also having a short spell at Russian side Rostov as Director of Football and manager. Ashworth who never played professionally, wants an opportunity of managing in the UK and the fact he speaks fluent Russian does his chances no harm. The source also said that Ashworth is meeting Romanov again in Lithuania during the first week of June.

Paul Ashworth began his football career as a trainee at Carrow Road. Failing to make the grade, he moved into coaching Norwich's youngsters - a task he later repeated at Cambridge United and Peterborough. At London Road, he progressed to the position of First Team Coach before he was dismissed.

In January 2001, his links with then Latvian national coach Gary Johnson led to his appointment as manager of Latvian side ** Ventspils. After moving to ** Riga and marrying a Latvian wife, he was appointed Sporting Director for Russian side Rostov. When manager Gennadi Stepushkin temporarily stepped down as coach of Rostov because of illness, Ashworth became the first Englishman to manage a Russian league side when Rostov travelled a 1,800km round trip to play FC Rubin Kazan, gaining a 1-1 draw.

- Norwich site

Argh - no Wiki page. Says it all really :D

shaun.lawson
Would agree with him.

Decent pedigree, respected, not scared to throw in youth, has been a manager in eastern europe so is aware of the talent that those places have and might not be as sceptical as some if VR suggests players from there.

I really don't get your thing about Toppmoeller at all. Are you actually aware of his record since 2002?

shaun.lawson
Claude Le Roy

And I don't get this one either. Le Roy's one piece of club experience in the past two decades (!) was a short period at Cambridge United in 2004 - apart from that, nothing. Rien. Nichts. Sure, he's carved out a real niche for himself managing various different African national teams - but even there, it's worth noting that he inherited the most successful Ghana side ever after the World Cup, had the chance to deliver the African Nations title on home soil, and blew it.

To me, in our present circumstances, the last thing we need is some huge gamble: however exciting it might seem, however dull the alternatives appear to be. Many Norwich fans deluded themselves into wanting Pierre Littbarski when Peter Grant left, and I even considered trying to put the club in touch with Carlos Alberto (yes, that Carlos Alberto: a good friend of mine knows him very well, and has represented him on a number of occasions), but it was always daft. Needs must: we can't run before we can walk.

O'Neil is from the UK.

Apologies. Got it into my head that MON was from the Republic. :confused:

Guest JamboRobbo
might not be as sceptical as some if VR suggests players from there.

Sounds like we don't want him then. We want someone who knows fine to treat Vlads ****e with the respect it deserves - none.

We need someone who installs a fast track from the fax machine to the bin, not someone who's going to listen to the mad man. WE've already seen where that got us.

Spending 10-12M against the others teams 2M, and finishing below them.

Yeshsirvladiagreeilaunas to be installed as head coach after Malofeev takes the preseason.

Drylaw Hearts
Apologies. Got it into my head that MON was from the Republic. :confused:

No probs.

It is an easy mistake to make considering he Managed an Irish team.

Spellczech

Steve McLaren is still available. only just missed out with England's overhyped players and gave in to Press pressure to accomodate Lampard and Gerrard but other than that a decent coach.

Ray Winstone
Steve McLaren is still available. only just missed out with England's overhyped players and gave in to Press pressure to accomodate Lampard and Gerrard but other than that a decent coach.

Didnt do a bad job with Middlesbourgh.

Would probably take him.

Indeed, I think it could be a benefit, they will not be in awe of the Old Firm (or less likely to be) and generally, European clubs are better than Scottish clubs when it comes to football tactics, and comanding respect.

I have said before, Paul Le Guen could be an option. He improved Rangers in Europe, and although he did have a difficult time in the league, given time, he could be OK. The mai rrason he got it tight from fans and media was that he had the audacity to drop Captain Marvel.

Drylaw Hearts
Didnt do a bad job with Middlesbourgh.

Would probably take him.

He's going to some Dutch team apparantly.

Archived