Time for a new Epic - The Sun says it Jefferies

vegas-voss

vegas-voss

Just had a quick scan of The Sun before finishing my shift and The Sun are saying JJ is our number 1 target.

vegas-voss
Anything online brashy?

I don't know if you can get the Scottish Sun online.This was from the early edition version of the Sun that comes out at about 12.00am

i would welcome JJ back as a last resort and will fondly remember him as the man who brought us the cup. i am just not convinced he is the best man to take us to the next level

i would welcome JJ back as a last resort and will fondly remember him as the man who brought us the cup. i am just not convinced he is the best man to take us to the next level

I fully agree with you :)

vegas-voss

The next level for me though is just getting in somebody that will get rid of the dire type of football we played last season.JJ aint perfect but he is an improvement.

Charlie-Brown

The next level from where we are just now is 3rd, back into europe and having a right good go at the cups.........

Buffalo Bill

Do you get the feeling that JJ is the contingency plan?

Do you guys not fear that he'd get less say in the running of the club?

Do people think he would get the same money as McGhee?

And can you see Vlad inviting him over to Lithuania for eight days?

Can JJ still cut it?

Could he handle Romanov?

Would we have to suffer the belly-ache of Bitter Billy Brown again?

For what it's worth, I'd have prefered McGhee, and now Davies. But I'd take JJ back. I feel he'd be a good option, with A.N Other being the view to the longer term.

With Jeffries, we'd at least get some passion back at the club. Wouldn't we?

Buffalo Bill

Backwards step.

Knee jerk appointment.

An attempt to pacify fans.

BAD appointment, if true.

Savage,

Although I don't necessarily disagree with your statement. What Scottish manager could take us to the next level? Look at how everyone faired in EPL (the next level).

My fact may be wrong but you get the drift

MCleish relegated

McGee relegated Wolves

Strachan relgated coventry?

Levein relegated leicester

Smith almost relegated Everton and look how they have gone since he left

JJ relegated but from a bottom when he took over

Davies relegated derby

Burley relegated Ipswich

Out of these he has faired no worse. In my mind much better.......REMEMBER 1998 and the season that we should have won the league had the Pieman agreed to by a player or two with 7 games to go!!!

BRING ON JJ

vegas-voss

The only manager out with the Old Firm to lift silverware.Had Killie in a cup final only 2 seasons ago.

vegas-voss
Sorry JJ is not the answer, tell me again where did killie finish??

Tell me again how his two main goal threats both ended up at Ibrox with no money to replace them.

Guest GhostHunter

I would be very surprised to see JJ on the list....

My opinion here, is that they will try to surpass the MM appointment with a better manager.

Just my opinion mind...

DJ,

Falkirk finshed above us, so does that mean we should go for Hughes? JJ is Hearts, he will in still pride into the club, the players and the supporters, something that was sadly lacking last season

another day another number 1 target , Get "MR Romanov" to **** , Mcghee says bolt Levein says bolt and if jeffries has any sense he'll say bolt as well :mad:

My opinion here, is that they will try to surpass the MM appointment with a better manager.

Just my opinion mind...

What is your opinion there?

vegas-voss

Just my opinion mind...

I thought that after i first found out about McGhee not coming but then was left thinking who is better that will come.Not many Scottish managers i could think of so it would need to be a foriegner which would not bother me as long as he came from a decent league and had a bit of background we could take some positives out of.

Guess The Crowd

Just my opinion mind...

In an ideal world, JJ would not be my choice either.

But we're not in an ideal world. Do you not think, as I suggested on another thread, that it would make a lot of sense to

- appoint JJ now, (safe pair of hands, steady the ship, etc) with a view to him 'moving upstairs' in a year's time

- sound out Craig Levein (with JJ's agreement) with a view to him coming back 12 months from now. If CL's not up for that, start making a plan B now (for 12 months time) - maybe even, dare I suggest it, Mark McGhee, who continues to conduct himself well IMO and clearly has regrets about recent events.

I believe it's bad news to buy at the top. In trying to get Mcghee, the club showed ambition but I wasn't comfortable that we were paying a premium for a guy who has essentially had one good season in a league where the competition for 3rd place has been average.

Contrast that with JJ, who isn't popular as he's had a difficult season at Killie. Injuries and lack of investement made it very difficult for him but there's no doubt in my mind he's a manager who can get the best out of his players and hold his own when it comes to potential interference in team selection.

Taking the emotional tie of cup win, he builds good teams that play attractive football... I reckon the team of 98' played as good football as any Hearts team i've seen over the last 20yrs. Let's not forget, this guys a Hearts man, perhaps his last shot at a 'big' club. He'll be hungry and up for the job.

Savage,

Although I don't necessarily disagree with your statement. What Scottish manager could take us to the next level? Look at how everyone faired in EPL (the next level).

My fact may be wrong but you get the drift

MCleish relegated

McGee relegated Wolves

Strachan relgated coventry?

Levein relegated leicester

Smith almost relegated Everton and look how they have gone since he left

JJ relegated but from a bottom when he took over

Davies relegated derby

Burley relegated Ipswich

Out of these he has faired no worse. In my mind much better.......REMEMBER 1998 and the season that we should have won the league had the Pieman agreed to by a player or two with 7 games to go!!!

BRING ON JJ

Fully agree with you mate, bring back JJ, He at least has passion for the club, and he would kick some backsides.:107years:

Guest GhostHunter

But we're not in an ideal world. Do you not think, as I suggested on another thread, that it would make a lot of sense to

- appoint JJ now, (safe pair of hands, steady the ship, etc) with a view to him 'moving upstairs' in a year's time

- sound out Craig Levein (with JJ's agreement) with a view to him coming back 12 months from now. If CL's not up for that, start making a plan B now (for 12 months time) - maybe even, dare I suggest it, Mark McGhee, who continues to conduct himself well IMO and clearly has regrets about recent events.

I can kind of see where you are coming from, however, deep down, do you really think JJ IS an improvement ?

After all, he's struggled at Killie recently...I know free reign with the team etc etc MAY mean we improve, but JJ is a kinda unknown quantity IMO. MM, and CL to an extent, have both proved that they are able to compete in the SPL, taking points of the OF etc, but JJ seems to be a floundering ship to me...hiring him would be a pretty big backwards step.

Better than SF sure, but only just.

I still think they will pull the stops out and get a proven manager in, one who will make an instant impact on the club.

Guest GhostHunter
Fully agree with you mate, bring back JJ, He at least has passion for the club, and he would kick some backsides.:107years:

Okay - but then, SF had a passion for the club also, yet we only managed 8th....

Sorry JJ is not the answer, tell me again where did killie finish??

What is their budget compared to ours? They also had a ridiculous number of injuries to deal with all season, even worse than we did, only they have a far smaller squad.

I can kind of see where you are coming from, however, deep down, do you really think JJ IS an improvement ?

After all, he's struggled at Killie recently...I know free reign with the team etc etc MAY mean we improve, but JJ is a kinda unknown quantity IMO. MM, and CL to an extent, have both proved that they are able to compete in the SPL, taking points of the OF etc, but JJ seems to be a floundering ship to me...hiring him would be a pretty big backwards step.

Better than SF sure, but only just.

I still think they will pull the stops out and get a proven manager in, one who will make an instant impact on the club.

MM has had one season at Motherwell. And was able to sign a few players. CL has definitely got a much bigger budget at United thank Killie's and has been able to signlots of players.

The wage bill at Kilmarnock must be on a par with the likes of Inverness/Falkirk. Jefferies has done a magnificent job over the years at Killie.

shaun.lawson
Do you get the feeling that JJ is the contingency plan?

Do you guys not fear that he'd get less say in the running of the club?

Do people think he would get the same money as McGhee?

And can you see Vlad inviting him over to Lithuania for eight days?

Can JJ still cut it?

Could he handle Romanov?

Would we have to suffer the belly-ache of Bitter Billy Brown again?

For what it's worth, I'd have prefered McGhee, and now Davies. But I'd take JJ back. I feel he'd be a good option, with A.N Other being the view to the longer term.

With Jeffries, we'd at least get some passion back at the club. Wouldn't we?

Buffalo Bill

A lot of very pertinent questions here, BB. Personally, I think JJ should always have been the contingency plan, and that now, given there's surely no chance of Levein, he's narrowly my number 1 choice.

Would I be excited by his appointment? No. But I do think he'd have an excellent chance of delivering some stability at last, and allow us to slowly rebuild the club. Given the history he's had with the club, I also think he'd unite the fans too, which'd be nice, given the near civil war of the past couple of years.

The bottom line, though, is if we don't give him full autonomy, he won't come. Indeed, a big reason I'm calling for a 'Hearts man' is, with our reputation, I'm not convinced anyone else would be prepared to risk it, or more crucially, stick it out. We can't run before we can walk - and at this point, are almost certainly very restricted in the options open to us.

To those worried that he wouldn't be able to take us to 'the next level': well, sure. But the trouble is, in order to mount a challenge to the OF, we'd need real resources: and in case anyone hasn't been looking at the accounts lately, we simply don't have them. We can't afford the kind of signings we made under Burley, and have no option other than to cut costs. McGhee was our first choice not least because of his ability to make a silk purse from a sow's ear at Motherwell (and, I'd argue, at Brighton too) - and this is also JJ's forte.

If we had real money available, then of course I'd want someone more exciting. But we don't, so I can't envisage someone more exciting coming. For whatever reason, I get the sense the club aren't interested in Billy Davies, and personally, something about Davies and Hearts just doesn't ring true to me. But the chance of grooming a successor to take the reins from JJ at a rebuilt, at long last stable club in two or three years most certainly does: Stephen Pressley would be my choice for such a role, though not, I suspect, a lot of other Kickbackers! :P

Bottom line: these are vastly changed circumstances from Summer 2005. The most important thing of all is we finally appoint a proper, experienced manager with real knowledge of the Scottish and British game, and give him full autonomy - but having missed out on McGhee, we aren't going to land anyone better. Moreover, the club will, hopefully, be prioritising the stadium redevelopment, in which case, groundsharing will probably be on the cards at some point: it's pie in the sky to think we can soar back into the top 2 amid such a context, and to my mind, JJ's exactly the right kind of figure to hold the fort, and take us back to respectability in the meantime.

Mild-Mannered James

He has a lousy record against the old firm. That being said, he'd obviously be a step up over the current situation.

Hearts should not touch MM with a barge pole. This guy led Hearts up the garden path for 6 months before telling them he was staying at Motherwell. Vlad has some pride I hope. MM is a no-no. He should be ashamed of himself.

JJ was my first choice when we made the Jan 1st announcement - imo he has a record just as good as that of McGhee, Davies etc, total Hearts man, and would put his foot up the erse of some of our overpaid non-trying players...fair enough he has had 1 bad season at Killie but he has performed a minor miracle keeping them in the league over the years.

Bring back JJ!

Drylaw Hearts

JJ would be a a decent appointment for a Season or 2.

If the Club had a bit of foresight they would insist JJ brought in an Assistant he could groom to take over the reigns from him in a couple of years.

JJ could then move upstairs into a DOF role.

I still say Elvis would be a great appointment as No.2. He could also continue in his role as Scotland Coach, picking up experience from Burley.

Drylaw Hearts
He has a lousy record against the old firm. That being said, he'd obviously be a step up over the current situation.

Apart from Burley - who didn't have a poor record against the OF ?

The Future's Maroon
He is an imrovememnt on what we have now?

And because the figures being branded about for McGhee, JJ would be within his rights to ask for the same?

vegas-voss

I'll say again only manager outwith Smith and Strachan to win anything out of the managers in the SPL.Only really had the one bad season at Killie and i think that will only make him hungrier to make Hearts a force again.

vegas-voss

Well he did win a certain final in 98 against the Old Firm and a certain Mr Johnston scored a hatrick at Ibrox under JJ aswell.

Drylaw Hearts

The wage bill at Kilmarnock must be on a par with the likes of Inverness/Falkirk. Jefferies has done a magnificent job over the years at Killie.

Agreed.

Taking into consideration they've sold their top scorer in each of the last 3 seasons and never been able to replace them, JJ has done remarkably well.

The Real Maroonblood
Okay - but then, SF had a passion for the club also, yet we only managed 8th....

JJ would kickass not like Frail who licked ass.

:)

Dagger Is Back

JJ will do for me.

All this talk of 'the next level' is IMO, nonsense. The next level for us is, and always will be, 3rd place with a dream of a cup win or ocassionally 2nd place in the SPL.

We can't compete with the OF over a season never mind consistently.

Dagger Is Back
Hearts should not touch MM with a barge pole. This guy led Hearts up the garden path for 6 months before telling them he was staying at Motherwell. Vlad has some pride I hope. MM is a no-no. He should be ashamed of himself.

If the papers are to be believed re his part in the dealings then you're absolutely 100% spot on.

If true, then some would consider MM to be nothing other than a common whore.

Walter Kidd

I would. If Jefferies comes in, how long would it be until he was blaming outside forces etc etc. He'd be a lapdug like all the lapdugs we've had since Burley and McGlynn left.

I'd lay money he would be away by Xmas.

Shambolic decision if true.

Guest GhostHunter
I would. If Jefferies comes in, how long would it be until he was blaming outside forces etc etc. He'd be a lapdug like all the lapdugs we've had since Burley and McGlynn left.

I'd lay money he would be away by Xmas.

Shambolic decision if true.

Totally agree.

:hobofish:

BTW - Lithuanians have long memories (note, not mammories) like the rest of us, and I'm pretty certain comments made by former managers and their assistants will still be fresh in their memories.....

We really do need to be looking at better than JJ.

Walter Kidd
Totally agree.

BTW - Lithuanians have long memories (note, not mammories) like the rest of us, and I'm pretty certain comments made by former managers and their assistants will still be fresh in their memories.....

Less of the Hobo, ginge.

awadooningorgie2

For where we are right now JJ seems exactly what we need. Please let's remember where Hearts stand at this moment in time - we need to rebuild a number of things to try and salvage a future if VR is going to stick around.

- Fans back onside, with a manager they like and can relate to.

- Players with a huge boot up the backside.

- A guy who can wheel and deal from the lower leagues and build a decent team.

- A manager who will put an entertaining team on the pitch.

- A manager who will have nothing but the good of the club at heart and who will demand the same from the players.

The time for Levein or Pressley may well come but it is not now. We need a safe pair of hands, by God we need a safe pair of hands.

vegas-voss
Totally agree.

We could look forever and no big manager will come at least until they can see that Romanov can be trusted.Unless we look outside the UK i think JJ is the most likely option.

Guest GhostHunter
We could look forever and no big manager will come at least until they can see that Romanov can be trusted.Unless we look outside the UK i think JJ is the most likely option.

I dont.

Fiver says JJ isn't even in the frame.

awadooningorgie2

We also desperately somebody who can do the job for say 2 years, and walk away saying Hearts is a better place to work now, VR was no problem etc (assuming that was the case....).

Archived