Dalmahoy golf course

rossi_1983

rossi_1983

Anyone ever played it? What's it like?

At a wedding there in a few weeks, and they apparently do a discounted rate, so I am tempted to play

I ain't played much golf recently, but have a bit of time to practice if I do decide to book it. With a few rounds practice, I would probably be off a handicap in the low 20s

Legend Claws

My Dad plays there, two courses east and west one of which is a championship level course (think it is the west) and pretty tough. He has played there for years and doesn't seem to be bored.

The East course is the Championship course and is quite long.

The West, although shorter, is still a nice and occasionally tricky 18 holes.

chester copperpot

I won the KB golf tournament at Dalmahoy.

Fond fond memories, especially seen as I beat a very competitive poster into second place.

GIRFUY Baz. ;)

I've played on the East course twice. First time was a shortened version as they were in the middle of redeveloping the course but we played it after the work was finished and it was a great course.

As others have said, it's a bit long but well worth playing.

Cyprus Jambo
I won the KB golf tournament at Dalmahoy.

Fond fond memories, especially seen as I beat a very competitive poster into second place.

GIRFUY Baz. ;)

Although he may have 'fibbed' about his handicap!!!!! :wacko:

The Doctor

I played there once and got a row for not having my shirt tucked in. WTF is that all about?

Frankly they can stick their course right up their arse, the whole thing, all the way up.

if you cannot dress appropriatley then you could always go and play at silverknowes, carricknowe or portobello, you can even wear your jeans.

dalmahoy is a good test of golf and the championship course is very long, have not played it for a while but it usually very well kept.

they are a bit snooty and i know two or three guys who left the club when it became a country club because you were not allowed to just play golf.

the voice from above

The 1st cut of rough eats balls for fun, beyond that it's like the deepest jungle.

If you don't drive well you'll need a) proffessional ball spotters, B) a specially trained sniffer dog or c) lots of spare balls and a calculator.

Cracking course though...

auldbauldfan

As a 20 handicapper, I find that the redeveloped East Course is a bit too long to make it really enjoyable at my level. Unless you can carry a minimum of about 200 yards off the tee you are going to have difficulty in scoring well.

The Future's Maroon
The 1st cut of rough eats balls for fun, beyond that it's like the deepest jungle.

If you don't drive well you'll need a) proffessional ball spotters, B) a specially trained sniffer dog or c) lots of spare balls and a calculator.

Cracking course though...

What he said!! ;)

I have played both several times and to this day the best course's I have ever played (not played more than 20 tho).

The West is good and difficult in parts but very well set out. The East is a completly different kettle of fish....a lot harder, a lot longer and the there's a hole where you have to get over the waaaater...lost a couple of balls there myself!

If you know a member, its not that dear either about ?20 - ?30 I think (been a while since I played there) which isnt bad considering your looking at about ?20 to play at Carrick-forrest-knowe.

And to the poster who complained about dress code......they make the effort to keep the course's in great condition - its not hard to give little respect

back? Although I got some evil looks when I just overhit hit an approach shot to the 18th into a wedding party just outside the main house!!!!

Infact - this thread just gave me the buzz for another game out there.....are there any golf outings planned for JKB posters this year?

TFM

rossi_1983
As a 20 handicapper, I find that the redeveloped East Course is a bit too long to make it really enjoyable at my level. Unless you can carry a minimum of about 200 yards off the tee you are going to have difficulty in scoring well.

I am a high 20 handicapper, but that is due to my short game! I can regularly hit the ball 300 yards off the tee, and since I ditched the driver for the 3 wood it stays pretty straight

Phoned up about booking it today, and their "discount" is 5 quid :eek: You would think spending well over 100 quid on a room would entitle you to a bit more than that.

The course does sound good, but am not sure if it is worth playing so hungover just to save a fiver!

marshallschunkychicken

I'm a member of the West - good course, a lot of fun, and doesn't get boring.

The East is the Championship course which can be fun, but tricky.

Would recommend it. If you know a member you can go round for ?20. I think you might get a discount for being a hotel resident as well.

siegementality
I am a high 20 handicapper, but that is due to my short game! I can regularly hit the ball 300 yards off the tee, and since I ditched the driver for the 3 wood it stays pretty straight

A 20 handicapper who regularly hits the ball 300 yards, straight!, off the tee with a three wood, my arse. Buy a new measuring tape mate.

Radio Ga Ga
A 20 handicapper who regularly hits the ball 300 yards, straight!, off the tee with a three wood, my arse. Buy a new measuring tape mate.

I concur, 300 yards....

Anyway, have played the East Course twice (Hearts Golf Day's) and it is just too long for me, if I can hit it 250 yards off the Tee then I'm delighted, much prefer the West Course as it personally suits my game much better, played it with Andy Webster :peek_by_Andrin:at another Hearts Golf Day

The Future's Maroon
:eek: I didnt know King Kong was a Jambo?

300 yards with a three wood aye? :rolleyes:

marshallschunkychicken
You should head out with my Dad some day mate!

Not a chance.

Your dad's far too good!

Everybody loves Baz
Although he may have 'fibbed' about his handicap!!!!! :wacko:

I hope you're refering to that big cheating Dick Turpin Streak 'o' Pish(i'm a 28 Handicap) Chester Tosserpot ?:mad:

rossi_1983

I have driven the green on 300 yard par 4s before, with my 3 wood, so I know for certain that's how far I am hitting it

Also was over the back of the green in 2 on the par 5 11th at Haddington, when I was 15!

It may sound like I am quite good, but my irons and especially my chipping negates my decent drives. I can't chip to save my life, and take 3 or 4 attempts to get it on the green from within 50 yards

Anyone ever played it? What's it like?

At a wedding there in a few weeks, and they apparently do a discounted rate, so I am tempted to play

I ain't played much golf recently, but have a bit of time to practice if I do decide to book it. With a few rounds practice, I would probably be off a handicap in the low 20s

Championship course is cack - very long and that's about it.

The other course is pretty good.

rossi_1983
Championship course is cack - very long and that's about it.

The other course is pretty good.

The other course is about half the price too, so I think that's what I'll go for

Thanks for all the advice folks

marshallschunkychicken
The other course is about half the price too, so I think that's what I'll go for

Thanks for all the advice folks

Word of advice.

Don't slice it on the first.

rossi_1983
Word of advice.

:eek:

Now when I step on to the first tee all I will be thinking about is "don't slice it", so I inevitably will! :P

Thanks for the tip

I have driven the green on 300 yard par 4s before, with my 3 wood, so I know for certain that's how far I am hitting it

Also was over the back of the green in 2 on the par 5 11th at Haddington, when I was 15!

It may sound like I am quite good, but my irons and especially my chipping negates my decent drives. I can't chip to save my life, and take 3 or 4 attempts to get it on the green from within 50 yards

Where do you play, pitch and putts?

chester copperpot
I hope you're refering to that big cheating Dick Turpin Streak 'o' Pish(i'm a 28 Handicap) Chester Tosserpot ?:mad:

Jealousy is a terrible thing mate.:rolleyes:

marshallschunkychicken
:eek:

Now when I step on to the first tee all I will be thinking about is "don't slice it", so I inevitably will! :P

Thanks for the tip

Most likely! :rolleyes:

The reason I say this is that the first is parallel to the range - so if you slice it badly, you're in the range. If you slice it less, you'll probably still end up in amongst hundreds of range balls that have gone over the fence onto the right hand side of the first fairway.

Do what I do. Hit it onto the green ;):rolleyes:

Word of advice.

unlike ANDY

great day and night out that was

Most likely! :rolleyes:

The reason I say this is that the first is parallel to the range - so if you slice it badly, you're in the range. If you slice it less, you'll probably still end up in amongst hundreds of range balls that have gone over the fence onto the right hand side of the first fairway.

Do what I do. Hit it onto the green ;):rolleyes:

hahaha....not if wii golf anything to go by ;)

chester copperpot
unlike ANDY

great day and night out that was

You sod, and BTW, that was a snap hook, no a slice. :laugh:

Are you teeing off from the ladies tee's? ;)

Archived