AOL Free laptop deal

weaz1981

Has anyone signed up to this? I know it is pricey and 24 month contract but i have been paying that for bt for the last 24 months without a fre laptop and wireless router!

Already got a desktop PC but was wanting a wee laptop to potter around the flat with anyway so the deal sounds ideal.

Any advice from fellow JT's would be greatful:compute:

Do The Dance

Mate of mine did it. Totally regretting it now. Says AOL are a joke.

Rawrrrrrrr

Total rip off

1) your tied in for 2 years to a pricey substandard package from one of the worst ISP's

2) The free laptops are **** poor and cost about ?300 new

3) Go for another provider who will offer you a free router for about half the price or less and half the term and either buy the laptop up front or get an interest free credit card and do it that way

Its an offer deliberatly aimed to deceive people into thinking its a good deal when they are actually paying for the laptop by paying way over the odds for the broadband package - and broadband will only get cheaper

Sheriff Fatman

Don't do it ,AOL are about the worst possible choice you could make for an ISP, and the laptops are very much at the scraping the barrel end of the market.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I used to like AOL, but since they got sold to carphone warehouse/talk talk it's went downhill, speed rate fluctuates constantly, and is sometimes non-existant.

A better option, and a route i'm going on at the end of the month, is O2 broadband (bethere.co.uk for non-O2 customers) which gives me 20meg broadband for ?15 a month, that's 3x AOL's top speed for 50% of the price.

Yeah, I'd stay clear of AOL.

If you're after a new laptop, PC World are doing 12 months free credit. It'll probably still work out cheaper in the long run.

Just got myself a new one.

Say What Again

Weaz, I'll buck the trend on this thread so far.

I was with AOL for 3-4 years and never had a single problem. What I paid for - I got. Simple. No gripes at all.

A few friends of mine took on their laptop/PS3 offer and told me they had. Turned out they were getting a better deal than me, so I called them and said I wanted a PS3 and the improved rate. I told my mate and he did the same.

Within a week my mate had the same package, free phone calls and a brand new PS3.

I've got the same now but it took me nearly 5 months! Believe me, Carphone Warehouse were the problem, but for a long time I was raging at both of them.

My tuppence worth would be there are better ISP's than AOL but I bet there are a hell of a lot worse. I've never had a problem with them as an ISP.

I think the 'A' of the AOL causes most of the resent - a web desinger I worked with told me he hated them because of their 'bible-belt, mid-America attitude'. Maybe it's 'cool' to hate AOL.

We all know (and if you don't you can have some of mine) a 'cool' person who hates McDonalds/Coca Cola/Disney because..... eh...... it's 'right'.

To summarise, if you want a free laptop and 8Mb broadband with free phone calls (or whatever they're now offering) for ?20 - then just get it.

Jed The Jedi

Got to agree with Jack of Hearts, i was one of the mentioned mates who took up the offer,been about 5 months now i think in that time the connection has been down once for about an hour apart from that never had a problem. :)

Another cause of AOL resentment is the software that they 'encourage' you to install. It turns your pc into an AOL machine and can be a buggr to remove. In general though, AOL gets rated about as highly as most other ISPs.

I'd recommend working out what the overall cost will be and seeing whether it would be cheaper to just buy a laptop on a creditcard and use a less expensive supplier.

thinkbroadband.com is a good independent guide to broadband providers. It should give you an idea of how good each ISP is and which is cheapest.

Archived