Tesco to ban Ribena

Captain Price

Captain Price

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11765353/Tesco-to-ban-childrens-sugary-drinks-from-its-stores.html

Tesco to ban children's sugary drinks from its stores

Supermarket giant Tesco has revealed plans to axe added-sugar drinks, which they say is a bid to stem rates of childhood obesity

Tesco has revealed plans to axe drinks with added sugar from their stores in the hope that it will cut down on childhood obesity.

Some of the drinks on the list are children?s favourites and best-sellers, including certain products from Capri Sun, Ribena and Rubicon. These will be replaced with branded and Tesco?s own brand no-added-sugar alternatives from the beginning of September, as children return to school after the summer holidays.

This news comes after Tesco?s announcement in May that it aimed to move towards improving the healthiness of its own label range as well as reducing the amount of sugar in its range of soft drinks.

Tesco's soft drinks buying manager David Beardmore told trade magazine, The Grocer, "This is part of our 10-point plan against obesity and we have decided that from September we will only sell no-added-sugar drinks in the kids' juice category. Most of the suppliers are supportive of it and understand what we are doing."

Indeed, Tesco seems to be leading the way in the clampdown on sugar and their actions have been praised and welcomed by health campaigners, including Professor Graham MacGregor, chairman of Action on Sugar, who told The Grocer that other supermarket chains should follow suit.

Last year, Tesco also banned chocolate and sweets from being sold at its checkouts, however, some stores were seen replacing them with equally unhealthy snacks, such as salty crisps.

Fitzroy Pointon

Bit drastic banning them. Theres low sugar or zero sugar alternatives if people wish to buy them.

doctor jambo

Presumably the added sugar drinks will include Coke, Irn Bru etc?

Let alone Redbull et al

Thought not.....

Good on them. There's an obscene amount of sugar in these drinks and from what I understand they're targeting the ones that are specifically marketed towards kids. Something needs to be done about the childhood obesity epidemic.

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but what was the name of the drink that turned kids orange in the 80's.

doctor jambo

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but what was the name of the drink that turned kids orange in the 80's.

Sunny delight

Sunny Delight? Used to love the stuff :lol:. Horrifically bad for you though.

doctor jambo

Good on them. There's an obscene amount of sugar in these drinks and from what I understand they're targeting the ones that are specifically marketed towards kids. Something needs to be done about the childhood obesity epidemic.

They have totally missed the point

The kids are getting fat on Cola, Lemonade and other fizzy juice

Even smoothies are loaded with sugar

Its the grown up soft drinks that we all see the kids drawing on all day

Litre bottles of coke and so on

Its a token effort

Nookie Bear

I'm going in two-footed here by saying the parents are the first point of influence, not Ribena.

They have totally missed the point

The kids are getting fat on Cola, Lemonade and other fizzy juice

Even smoothies are loaded with sugar

Its the grown up soft drinks that we all see the kids drawing on all day

Litre bottles of coke and so on

Its a token effort

Token effort it may be but it's better than nothing. Certainly when I was at school Ribena, Capri Sun etc. were very all popular lunchbox items. Ideally I'd like to see government led initiatives to tax all sorts of unhealthy foods and subsidise healthier options, until then though anything that gets people talking about the issue and perhaps even modifies a fraction of people's behaviours is a good thing. 

I'm going in two-footed here by saying the parents are the first point of influence, not Ribena.

Parents are absolutely the main influence, but unfortunately a lot of parents are lazy/irresponsible/stupid when it comes to what they feed their kids. Taking away the options at the usual point of sale may be enough to make the difference for some.

The Treasurer

a "BID TO STEM CHILDHOOD OBESITY" ???

Aye right Tesco.

Just be honest and say it's not making enough profit so you're dumping it.

I'm sure if this was one of their top selling lines then childhood obesity or any other health issue would be completely ignored.

Yes parents are the biggest influence. Parents are often influenced on what they buy for their children, influences include; product appearing healthy, brat children demanding certain products, products being designed to fit in a lunchbox..etc

I think the responsibility should be taken away from parents when a product is being marketed as being healthy and convenient with the reality being probably 50+% of a child's RDA sugar in a oner.

Dangerous path to tread.

Just who is to decide what we eat or drink ? (allowing for safety etc)

It really does show the need to have clear and accurate labelling in a standard form........that should be legislated quickly by the government.

Parents or the individual should be allowed to make choices and why Ribena when there are literally hundreds of other products they could ban if they were serious. A typically token effort and lets see if they ban items that make them a high profit and sell very well..........I think we know what the answer to that will be.

Smacks of a publicity stunt to make themselves look good and that is my annoyance at this stance.

Sunny Delight? Used to love the stuff :lol:. Horrifically bad for you though.

Aye, if you drunk about five bottles a day.

SpikeDudley

How is it good on them? This is supposed to be a free country - not North Korea. Why should I be unable to consume a product just because other people are incapable of having a healthy diet?

How is it good on them? This is supposed to be a free country - not North Korea. Why should I be unable to consume a product just because other people are incapable of having a healthy diet?

Correct. These foods/drinks are not bad for you. There is no such thing as bad food, or bad drink. There is such a thing as a bad diet, though.

It's good on them because they are publicising the issue of childhood obesity, even if the effects of this one particular act may be minimal.

As you mention it's a free country so a private business like Tesco can sell what it likes. If people feel that strongly about giving their kids these particular full sugar drinks there are other shops available :lol:

In this free country shouldnt Tesco be able to stock what they please.You can go elsewhere for your playtime drink.

Ryan Jarman

Wow. Tesco has cured obesity by banning Capri Sun and Ribena. The ONLY two causes of obesity. What a time to be alive.

Tesco are full of shite. I'd check if they told me the sky was blue.

Chances are they've had a falling out with GSK and are refusing to sell their products for a while.

Kids don't want Ribena

3 tins of fake Red Bull for lunch is all the rage

Local """"""" corner shops""""""

Bert Le Clos

It's a token gesture aimed at also benefiting Tesco. It's hard to say it's a bad thing though.

But if they were really serious about it they'd ban all full-sugar drinks and simply stock their own brands of sugar-free drinks alongside sugar-free Ribena/Capri Sun/Coke/Irn Bru etc.

As others have pointed out though if they were serious about tackling childhood obesity they'd introduce a ban on U16's buying Red Bull/Monster type drinks.

This "WE DON'T LIVE IN NORTH KOREA" argument is a load of shite too though. Diets change with time. Nobody is cooking their food in lard like they did in the 40's anymore. Hidden sugar has been a huge issue in food for a long time and it's well overdue that something is done about it. In that respect you have to give Tesco a modicum of credit.

They're entitled to do what they want, it's their business and they can set whatever policies they like.

They are specifically removing the sugar versions of products geared towards kids - Capri Sun and Ribena are the sort of things that usually get fired in a lunch box (I used to get a Capri Sun in mine every day, and it wasn't that long ago relatively speaking).  They're not saying that you aren't allowed them at all, you just can't purchase those items in their stores in future.  This should help a wee bit, but really the blame lies with the parents.

Sure, they're missing out on Coke, Fanta, Irn Bru, etc, but this is a step in the right direction.  We are a nation of fat ****ers and it needs someone to step in and try and cut it out, as people can't be arsed sorting things out themselves.  If a parent thinks it's suitable to give their child a can of Coke to take to school, then they're a ****ing moron.  

Adults moaning about them taking away sugary kids juices ffs :lol:

Dagger Is Back

So many reasons for obesity not just in this country but around the world.

Too much sugar in food

Less manual jobs

Home entertainment systems

Less home cooking and more convenience food

People not being my active enough

Tescos like everyone else, are full of shit. Token gesture, they'll get loads of publicity.

If they were serious they'd look at some of the horrendous figures in their ready meals and convenience foods, stop selling fags and booze, reduce the price of fruit and veg, and stop selling other fizzy juice.

Sunny Delight .... That deserves Class A status. First foot on the ladder to more gruesome things like Kestrel lager!

It's a token gesture aimed at also benefiting Tesco. It's hard to say it's a bad thing though.

But if they were really serious about it they'd ban all full-sugar drinks and simply stock their own brands of sugar-free drinks alongside sugar-free Ribena/Capri Sun/Coke/Irn Bru etc.

As others have pointed out though if they were serious about tackling childhood obesity they'd introduce a ban on U16's buying Red Bull/Monster type drinks.

This "WE DON'T LIVE IN NORTH KOREA" argument is a load of shite too though. Diets change with time. Nobody is cooking their food in lard like they did in the 40's anymore. Hidden sugar has been a huge issue in food for a long time and it's well overdue that something is done about it. In that respect you have to give Tesco a modicum of credit.

after watching a program about veggie oils the other night, this may have been a mistake.

seemingly veggie oils, sunflower/rapeseed etc after heating to a certain temperature create a dangerous toxin that is worse than using lard/butter which don't create the toxin.

some oils are ok, olive oil seemingly ok.

it's better to use animal fats than some veggie oils, just limit how much you use and drain/dry off your food with kitchen roll

It's the sugar in supposedly healthy things they should make a stand against.

Most cereals are packed full of the stuff.

Nice bit of publicity for tesco. Which will pay well to morally outraged mothers, who can now go to that are feel their shopping in a 'ethical' store

I would imagine the sales of added sugar drinks, are falling quicker than Alan Stubbs reputation, as people move to sugar free no added sugar versions.

This will have no real impact on sales and guess good guys pieces in media.

Fair play to tesco I guess

Morally outraged mothers will never be happy.

Now it's tesco's fault when a kid has a diabetic seizure.

5e091f2e015cbc1b08fa47ee108d4473.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Jarman

Do these people not realise that it's only the 'lunch box' size cartons that are getting taken off the shelves? You'll still be able to buy the larger full sugar bottles ffs. 

Do you know Tesco continue to sell bags of pure sugar. 1 kilogram bags! There are no restrictions on how many you buy and it's stacked from the floor up!! My 5 year old could easily reach these bags.

There is nothing we can do about it. It's all perfectly legal! It's just madness!

Are Coke zero and diet Cokes better than fruit juices for you?

Probably not.

Fruit juices still have good vitamins (although they are missing the fibre you would get if you just ate the fruit).

Coke Zero is just empty calories but they have large amounts of caffeine which is bad for kids.

If you were talking about a caffeine free diet drink then it depends on the rest of the child's diet.

If they aren't overweight but don't eat a lot of fruit and veg then fruit juices would be a good source of vitamins etc and would be beneficial.

If the kid is overweight, but does eat a good amount of fruit and veg, they are probably best with a low calorie soft drink, although in that situation, nothing beats good old H2O.

2AEC940F00000578-3178341-In_the_first_10

2AEC940F00000578-3178341-Caffeine_absorp

What Coca Cola does to you in just an hour or so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-3178341/What-Coca-Cola-REALLY-does-body-just-hour.html

>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. 

This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.

>60 Minutes: The caffeine's diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) 

It is now assured that you'll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.

>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you'll start to have a sugar crash. 

You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You've also now, literally, urinated the water that was in the Coke.

But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth. 

Presumably the added sugar drinks will include Coke, Irn Bru etc?

Let alone Redbull et al

Thought not.....

Exactly!

More like Tesco have held their hand out for an unmarked brown envelope & Ribena have told them to GTF.

Notbrainwashed

Do these people not realise that it's only the 'lunch box' size cartons that are getting taken off the shelves? You'll still be able to buy the larger full sugar bottles ffs. 

Yes.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story and deny the internet an excuse to be outraged.

A small measure which regardless of motivation *might* help the health issue.  But will probably make bugger all difference if the kids get pumped full of crap when they are not eating food out of a lunchbox.

indianajones

Name a large company that isn't odious.

Im not going to disagree with you but my point still stands.

**** Tesco!

Archived