City Park R.I.P.

caledoniaman

A famous old league ground hangs up it's boots tonight with the last game at City Park in Ferry Road before it becomes (inevitably) flats.

Semi-Final of the King Cup between Spartans and Edinburgh City, which is quite fitting as these are the two clubs to have called the place home over the years and it was a full league ground when City were a Scottish League side.

It's been the scene of some classic battles over the years with over 3,000 fans piling in for games between Spartans and Livingston and Spartans and St Mirren in recent years.

A shame that all these old grounds are disappearing. Whatever about facilities in new grounds there's a bit of charm about the old places.

Some photos of the place packed to the gunnels.

http://www.herveius.co.uk/livingston_cup/livingston_photos.htm

http://www.herveius.co.uk/st_mirren_cup/st_mirren_photos.htm

City Park R.I.P.

Awwwww.... That's a shame. Played on that park a few times when I was younger. Good memories.

Ferranti Thistle - Meadowbank Thistle - Livi. The UK's first Franchise FC

And shortly to move again, to Bathgate I believe.

And shortly to move again, to Bathgate I believe.

Always thought it was a bit shocking to be honest. And nobody really kicked up that much of a fuss. Can't mind that chairman's name now but everybody thought he was a nasty piece of work.

Nelly Terraces
Hehe. I had heard that a certain teacher liked wee boys, but I don't know of any truth in it. Think it was after he left Ainslie.

The old mouldmaster was a brute of a ball and bounced like crazy on a hrad surface.

The music, science and techy departments were all in the main building. Woodwork and metal shops were down near the old bike shed I seem to remember.

Brilliant thread. Superb posts. Your memory is different class Bill.

And you're right about that bloody mouldmaster ball, I remember the orange ones we had to play with on freezing Saturday mornings at Meggetland (surely THE windiest place in Britain, bar none!!) jeezo, when that hit the thigh you knew about it. Those balls were pure evil, think they'd been left over as some kind of experiment in how we were to deafet the hun in WW2. Wouldn't be surprised if the bombing of Dresden was done using Mouldmasters.

What were they made of?? Sort sort of plastic that, when it got cold, sort of froze. It didn't have any 'give' in it whatsoever, and you're spot on about the bounce, a mare to control. If you could master a mouldy, you were a player!! Might the decline in standard of Scottish football be put down to the extinction of the evil mouldy I wonder....:rolleyes:

John Findlay
Brilliant thread. Superb posts. Your memory is different class Bill.

And you're right about that bloody mouldmaster ball, I remember the orange ones we had to play with on freezing Saturday mornings at Meggetland (surely THE windiest place in Britain, bar none!!) jeezo, when that hit the thigh you knew about it. Those balls were pure evil, think they'd been left over as some kind of experiment in how we were to deafet the hun in WW2. Wouldn't be surprised if the bombing of Dresden was done using Mouldmasters.

What were they made of?? Sort sort of plastic that, when it got cold, sort of froze. It didn't have any 'give' in it whatsoever, and you're spot on about the bounce, a mare to control. If you could master a mouldy, you were a player!! Might the decline in standard of Scottish football be put down to the extinction of the evil mouldy I wonder....:rolleyes:

The orange dimples Mitre fitbaws. They made men of you. Especially us budding goalkeepers who played on freezing Saturday mornings without gloves!!!

Meggatland no quite as windy as the pitches used to be at ***** Brae.

John

Archived