possible british manaers

artfuldodger

artfuldodger

The People's Chimp

It's a shame we will have pi**ed off Lee Johnson's dad. He could well have done a job for us.

artfuldodger
It's a shame we will have pi**ed off Lee Johnson's dad. He could well have done a job for us.

thats why i left him out ,after looking though there are lots out there lets just hope they make the right choice and within the next 2 or 3 weeks

Bryan Robson? You having a laugh?

Middlesbrough : Won 127 - Lost 101 - Drew 86.

Bradford: Won 7 - Lost 20 - Drew 1.

WBA : Won 19 - Lost 38 - Drew 24.

Sheff Utd : Won 14 - Lost 12 - Drew 12.

Thig Ar Latha

I'd forgotten about Paul Sturrock. How is he getting on in Management? He used to have a couple of reasonable Teams then suffer from stress early in his career.

IIRC he was a Hearts fan as a youngster. If he can stand the presures he maybe worth a thought. A lot of folk reckon we need a Hearts minded Manager after all.

artfuldodger
Bryan Robson? You having a laugh?

Middlesbrough : Won 127 - Lost 101 - Drew 86.

Bradford: Won 7 - Lost 20 - Drew 1.

WBA : Won 19 - Lost 38 - Drew 24.

Sheff Utd : Won 14 - Lost 12 - Drew 12.

you trying to tell me he is an worse than mark mghee or craig levein or jim jeffries

Say What Again
you trying to tell me he is an worse than mark mghee or craig levein or jim jeffries

Yes

I'd say so. I'd rather our next manager was someone with knowledge of the Scottish game.

artfuldodger
I'd say so. I'd rather our next manager was someone with knowledge of the Scottish game.

in what capacity

David McCaig

Bryan Robson was catastrophically bad at Sheffield United. From the moment he arrived at Bramall Lane he was an incompetent grey cloud raining misery on all below (apart from Wednesday fans).

Under Robson, United were rapidly heading towards League One, after his departure they were the outstanding championship team for the last two months of the season.

His depressing monotone voice could inspire the worlds happiest man to consider suicide within weeks, I would be amazed if he ever manages again.

in what capacity

What do you mean by that? I wouldn't want an English manager that would come up here and misjudge the pace of the game and sign players who aren't upto it.

artfuldodger
Bryan Robson was catastrophically bad at Sheffield United. From the moment he arrived at Bramall Lane he was an incompetent grey cloud raining misery on all below (apart from Wednesday fans).

Under Robson, United were rapidly heading towards League One, after his departure they were the outstanding championship team for the last two months of the season.

His depressing monotone voice could inspire the worlds happiest man to consider suicide within weeks, I would be amazed if he ever manages again.

ok fair point (i still think he could get us 3rd in the league).what i am trying to say is there are loads of bosses out there.i was looking forward to mghee but now we must find someone else its not the end of the world.we would probably be cheesed off if we got mghee when burley left but now he has turned his career around we have been left slightly gutted at losing out on him .

That list is snide IMO.

Shame it took you an hour though mate!

washniklaw

This may sound crazy but what about throwing Steve McLaren's name into the mix. I know he didn't do too well with England but the fact he got the job suggest he's right up there. Remember it was only a couple of years ago he got Middlesborough to the Uefa Cup Final.

He's been linked with FC Twente in Holland so he's willing to move, and I think our pay packet would be roughly what he's looking for (obviously down on his England money). What does anyone think?

This may sound crazy but what about throwing Steve McLaren's name into the mix. I know he didn't do too well with England but the fact he got the job suggest he's right up there. Remember it was only a couple of years ago he got Middlesborough to the Uefa Cup Final.

He's been linked with FC Twente in Holland so he's willing to move, and I think our pay packet would be roughly what he's looking for (obviously down on his England money). What does anyone think?

FC Twente have also just secured champions league football, something which he's never had in his career. Personally, I don't think he'd take over at us or Twente. He'll be sitting waiting on a mid table premiership team to sack there manager.

Aye, I have to say we're no big enough for McLaren. I'd like him tho!

I'd love Holloway!!! Just for the interviews

artfuldodger
That list is snide IMO.

Shame it took you an hour though mate!

who would you have on your list mate

CornhillHearts

Why not go for Michael O'Neill or Kenny Black both have managerial experience and know the scottish game and come a lot cheaper than others.

As we have to slash budgets and they will have the hunger required i would take a chance on either and forget about Levein,Jefferies or Billy Davies.

who would you have on your list mate

Me?

Ince

Davies

Mikhailichenko

Levein

Scala (honestly)

I would also, as stated on another thread, not rule out a non British manager that has no experience of British football. It is imperative he speaks English and has a decent coaching career, not necessarily managing.

Glamorgan Jambo
Why not go for Michael O'Neill o

Doesn't he still owe us for that fire extinguisher he broke stomping down the tunnel after being sent off?

Anyone with Hobo connections would be a highly risky move. Just ask Jim Duffy

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Greame Souness

Denis Wise

Bruce Rioch

Why dosen't Romanov just go back in for McGhee and test his decision

obviously with a few more quid and be done with it ?

Corrie Jambo

I would really like Souness as he could recruit quality players and he knows the Scottish game, would take no **** and is a WINNER.

shaun.lawson

Sanchez, Sturrock, Holloway, Rioch or Allen, yes; Souness, Evans, or Robson, no.

shaun.lawson
Me?

Ince

Davies

Mikhailichenko

Levein

Scala (honestly)

I would also, as stated on another thread, not rule out a non British manager that has no experience of British football. It is imperative he speaks English and has a decent coaching career, not necessarily managing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevio_Scala

Don't you find it a bit odd that he's been out of a job so long, though? And there's a general rule that normally applies: those who continually big themselves up for a particular job (Allardyce and England would be another example) are highly unlikely to get it, and sometimes, just trying to get the press talking about them again, so raising their profile.

The Future's Maroon

Ok, I'll chuck in a couple of names for the fun of it! And for the record, some are tongue in cheek!!

Darren Ferguson

Steve Clarke

Gary McAllister

John Robertson

Daffy Duck

Alan Shearer

Tony Adams

George Graham

Terry Butcher

Craig Brewster

Joe Jordon

Sam Allardyce (?350k would surley be enough)

Nigel Clough

There you go.....discuss!

Stewart MacD

Now Alex Fergie has the EPL and CL wrapped up, where's the challenge left for him with Man U?

The biggest challenge around is dislodging Rantic from their perch. He's done it before. A pay cut perhaps, but, given the dosh offered to McGhee, I'm sure he could live with it.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Here was the original Anderton list back in 2005 (source, Believe):-

Category A: Sir Bobby Robson, Gerard Houllier, Graeme Souness, Ron Atkinson, Kevin Keegan, Gordon Strachan, George Graham, Co Adriaanse and David Platt.

Category B: George Burley, Billy Davies, Neale Cooper, Steve Cotterill, Gary Johnson, Dave Jones, Gary Megson, Joe Royle, Paul Sturrock and Peter Taylor

I would say that out of that lot, Billy Davies might be the only one we could attract IF he had full autonomy over team selection.

That's an indictment of how far we've fallen. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevio_Scala

Don't you find it a bit odd that he's been out of a job so long, though? And there's a general rule that normally applies: those who continually big themselves up for a particular job (Allardyce and England would be another example) are highly unlikely to get it, and sometimes, just trying to get the press talking about them again, so raising their profile.

Yes it is, however I am not concerned about that. What cannot be ignored is his record.

merseyjambo

Personally I would go for someone like Roberto Martinez or someone like Geraint Williams, Simon Grayson, Owen Coyle, Paul Trollope, Danny Wilson, Martin Allen, Steve Tilson or Darren Ferguson

All highly respected managers in the lower leagues in England. Their sides play decent football and its mot a step to the past in the form of Levien or Jeffries.

I have nothing against either if them, but I think we need a fresh start manager wise. Lets face it those 2 candidates flopped in England.

The names mentioned have eyes for a decent player, contacts with EPL clubs for possible loan players and are used to working with limited resources

I also like Brian Laws and Gary Johnston but don't think we could get either of them.

The Future's Maroon
Simon Grayson
Is he no in Corrie?

I P Knightley
Personally I would go for someone like Roberto Martinez or someone like Geraint Williams, Simon Grayson, Owen Coyle, Paul Trollope, Danny Wilson, Martin Allen, Steve Tilson or Darren Ferguson

Ryan Giggs' dad?

Having gone for a reasonably high profile manager in an extremely high profile way, dropping down to the level in this list would be a disappointment. would VR's pride overrule his arrogance?

Here was the original Anderton list back in 2005 (source, Believe):-

Category A: Sir Bobby Robson, Gerard Houllier, Graeme Souness, Ron Atkinson, Kevin Keegan, Gordon Strachan, George Graham, Co Adriaanse and David Platt.

Category B: George Burley, Billy Davies, Neale Cooper, Steve Cotterill, Gary Johnson, Dave Jones, Gary Megson, Joe Royle, Paul Sturrock and Peter Taylor

I would say that out of that lot, Billy Davies might be the only one we could attract IF he had full autonomy over team selection.

That's an indictment of how far we've fallen. :(

Steve Cotterill is available I think. His managerial career is however a bit of a mixed bag. Eh, maybees aye, maybees naw.

jamtartsandbees
I'll throw a tw a t in the ring - Chick Young?

Fine as long as I can have him for two rounds before violently throwing him out again.

Archived