Second rate athlete and newco fan Lynsey Sharp shows her class.

gerriatrick

gerriatrick

Aye, you canny hide your class hen ....... Her career will probably go in the same direction of her team now lol.

RUNNER Lynsey Sharp is at the centre of a internet storm after marking Novak Djokovic?s Wimbledon triumph with a tweet based on a football smear campaign.

Rangers fan Sharp, 25, posted: ?Just catching up on #Wimbledon.....Big Djok Knew.?

The tweet, which has since been removed, was widely interpreted as a reference to the slogan ?Big Jock Knew.?

Sharp then prompted further ridicule by claiming she thought it was a reference to former Rangers manager Jock Wallace.

The jibe refers to claims Parkhead icon Jock Stein was aware of sexual abuse committed by the former Celtic Boys Club manager, Jim Torbett, but did not notify the authorities.

Torbett was subsequently jailed for two and a half years in 1998.

But former Scotland boss Stein has never been implicated in any criminality or knowledge of the abuse and the slurs have caused distress to his family.

The tweet was widely condemned on the microblogging site.

Ex-Sunday Mirror sports writer Brian McNally (@McNallyMirror) tweeted: ?Runner @LynseySharp insulted the memory of #Celtic & Scotland legend Jock Stein with her vile bid to get laughs from tragic child abuse. Sick.?

Stephen r (?@cardiffbhoy) posted: ?@LynseySharp seriously, classless individual , you?re not fit to represent the country that Jock Stein died for.?

And CelticVines (?@Celtic_Vines) posted: ?I wonder how @LynseySharp is feeling this morning after her disgusting tweet glorifying lies about child abuse.?

Under Stein Celtic won nine league titles in a row and became the first British team to win European Cup.

Stein, 62, died after suffering a heart attack at the end of Scotland?s World Cup qualification match against Wales in September 1985.

Sharp won 800m silver at the Commonwealth Games and the European Championships last year.

After her Glasgow triumph she was invited by Rangers to parade her medal before the Ibrox faithful.

In January it emerged Sharp had joined a fans group aiming to snap up shares in the club.

She said: ?Rangers is in my blood and it?s heartbreaking to see the most successful club in the world like this.?

chester copperpot

I found it incredibly funny.

I know its wrong and I know its not right but I lol'd anyway!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The bit at the end about the most successful club in the world was pretty funny. :lol:

And he's not praying

:cornette:

Child sex abuse MEGALOLZ.

It's 2015 ffs, she should know better. The people of this country don't half let it down at times.

Disappointing.

doctor jambo

NOt even vaguely offended

football fan in sense of humour shocker

easily offended Celtic fans rush to the email whilst singularly and spectacularly missing their own deficiencies

How do you become the worlds most successful team with 2 lower league titles?

Fitzroy Pointon

1407276903229_wps_2_05_08_14_PETROFAC_TR

Still wid.

What an idiot.  Never founf the BJK patter funny in the slightest.  

Tommy Brown

State ae her btw :lol:

Maybe she just wanted folk to know who she is, i've never heard of her.

If you haven't heard of her, you have no interest in athletics.

Won Commonwealth Gold despite being very I'll 24 hours before the final.

Daughter of Cameron Sharp, obviously well before your time.

She is one of five cracking Scottish female athletes.

I will now spoil this post by saying "definately would".

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Was it not silver?

Oh, and wouldn't.

Fitzroy Pointon

I saw Cameron Sharp at Tynecastle about 1994.  

thats social media for you.  she's said a stupid remark, taken by some as personal/vile and she will surely suffer for it.  I believe Jock Stien has a special celebratoty anniversay coming up soon.  Still remember the night he died at the Scotland qualifier.........sad

loveofthegame

Lacks class but isn't the most serious offence in the world. A joke in poor taste at worst.

How do you become the worlds most successful team with 2 lower league titles?

Until we put a stop to it they could have claimed that to be true due to being probably the only club in the history of football with a 100% title winning success rate.

I saw Cameron Sharp at Tynecastle about 1994.

Really?

He had a bad car crash in 1991 and was in Astley Ainslie hospital for ages afterwards and even then he was left physically and mentally disabled and wheelchair bound.

I know this as I had a relative on the same ward and remember his wee girls visiting with his wife.

gerriatrick

And once the "Parkhead victims unit" kicks in that then ramps up the pseudo hurt that makes any hibs campaign look amateurish. Even a priest is jumping on the bandwagon.

post-23528-0-53049500-1436800303_thumb.jpg

Had to check who she was there. Judging by her career at European and Olympic level I'd say she was probably just looking to get noticed.

She's had less first place finishes than her beloved Sevco.

Fitzroy Pointon

Really?

He had a bad car crash in 1991 and was in Astley Ainslie hospital for ages afterwards and even then he was left physically and mentally disabled and wheelchair bound.

I know this as I had a relative on the same ward and remember his wee girls visiting with his wife.

I remember seeing him and pointing him out to my dad who confirmed it was him, as I recognised him from a documentary in the early 90's.   He was walking, assisted obviously, in the main stand.  This would have been 93/94 season.  

gerriatrick

Quick Q. Did Big Jock Know ?. I have no idea.

A lot off press and statements made said he did and was part of the cover up at parkhead, but as he had died before the revelation's came out then we will never know .......

From the daily ranger -

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But when the claims subsequently surfaced, Celtic manager Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done about them.

The claim was made by former Celtic Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who said he felt "fabulous" when the Daily Record broke a story about Torbett two years ago.

Mr Birt told Glasgow Sheriff Court that when he first heard about the allegations he didn't have enough evidence to go to the police.

Asked how he now felt about giving evidence against Torbett, he replied: "It's a tremendous relief for me because I have been carrying it about for 25 years."

He said he was asked to be chairman when Torbett was "put out" of the Boys' Club.

Asked who got rid of him, Mr Birt said: "According to Mr Stein, he literally put his foot up his backside and kicked him out. It was all covered up by Celtic as to why."

He admitted that he had a good relationship with Torbett, who returned to the Boys' Club as a fund-raiser several years later.

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.

He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

He denied a suggestion from Alan Nicol, defending, that he was a "troublemaker" and that he had been forced to leave the Boys' Club for spreading gossip about the sexuality of a referee.

Kevin Kelly, 61, a director of Torbett's Trophy Centre firm, said during his time at the club no one made any allegations and he denied ever meeting Birt to discuss claims against Torbett.

Another Trophy Centre director, Gerald McAleer, 42, who played for the Boys' Club when Torbett was there, denied in evidence that his silence had been bought.

As a youngster, he had gone on trips with other boys to the cinema and restaurants with Torbett as well as going to his flat, but said he had never seen anything amiss.

Most of the time he was in the flat, Torbett's mother was there. He said he had a good relationship with Torbett then and was still friends with him now.

He was "absolutely positive" that he had never seen Torbett interfere with one of the alleged boy victims, James McGrory.

Torbett, 51, of Burnbrae Road, Auchinloch, Lenzie, near Glasgow, denies three charges of shameless indecency involving James McGrory, now 44, David Gordon, now 38, and former Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Torbett also denies further offences against Mr McGrory at two cinemas, two restaurants and a bowling alley.

The trial continues on Monday.

Sharpe has fairly fell short of her status as one of our top athletes and role models here.

Football makes a lot of normally rational people do stupid things. She's a die hard blue nose that thinks the "bantz" is funny. She'll hopefully learn and grow up a bit on the back of being pulled up on it.

What on earth is offensive about what she wrote?

It's bizarre but no way offensive unless you are looking to be offended.

Big Slim Stylee

Really not in the best possible taste, but I smiled.  It's not exactly ISIS we're talking about here.

Bert Le Clos

Thought it was quite funny TBH.

Not anti-Celtic or pro-Rangers in any way I'll add. Just made me chuckle.

Lacks class but isn't the most serious offence in the world. A joke in poor taste at worst.

You're right, what she said isn't the most serious offense in the world.

But many people reckon that the sexual abuse of children isn't something that should be joked about, or used in an attempt to score points against your football rivals.

A lot off press and statements made said he did and was part of the cover up at parkhead, but as he had died before the revelation's came out then we will never know .......

From the daily ranger -

JOCK Stein and the Celtic board covered up allegations made against Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett, it was claimed yesterday.

Torbett, who is now accused of abusing three boys while he was at the club, was literally kicked out of Parkhead by Stein, a court heard.

But when the claims subsequently surfaced, Celtic manager Stein and the directors were anxious to keep the image of the club clean and nothing more was done about them.

The claim was made by former Celtic Boys' Club chairman Hugh Birt, 61, who said he felt "fabulous" when the Daily Record broke a story about Torbett two years ago.

Mr Birt told Glasgow Sheriff Court that when he first heard about the allegations he didn't have enough evidence to go to the police.

Asked how he now felt about giving evidence against Torbett, he replied: "It's a tremendous relief for me because I have been carrying it about for 25 years."

He said he was asked to be chairman when Torbett was "put out" of the Boys' Club.

Asked who got rid of him, Mr Birt said: "According to Mr Stein, he literally put his foot up his backside and kicked him out. It was all covered up by Celtic as to why."

He admitted that he had a good relationship with Torbett, who returned to the Boys' Club as a fund-raiser several years later.

Mr Birt said: "There was a lot of hearsay and it wasn't until Jim came back that I got involved because things started up again."

He told how he took the allegations against Torbett to the Celtic board and Stein and even told the then vice-chairman, Kevin Kelly, about them at a meeting in his car.

He said: "Although there were people who spoke to me I couldn't go to the police without actual proof of the allegations. When I joined as chairman, I was told by Jock Stein to keep the name of Celtic Football Club clean at all times."

He denied a suggestion from Alan Nicol, defending, that he was a "troublemaker" and that he had been forced to leave the Boys' Club for spreading gossip about the sexuality of a referee.

Kevin Kelly, 61, a director of Torbett's Trophy Centre firm, said during his time at the club no one made any allegations and he denied ever meeting Birt to discuss claims against Torbett.

Another Trophy Centre director, Gerald McAleer, 42, who played for the Boys' Club when Torbett was there, denied in evidence that his silence had been bought.

As a youngster, he had gone on trips with other boys to the cinema and restaurants with Torbett as well as going to his flat, but said he had never seen anything amiss.

Most of the time he was in the flat, Torbett's mother was there. He said he had a good relationship with Torbett then and was still friends with him now.

He was "absolutely positive" that he had never seen Torbett interfere with one of the alleged boy victims, James McGrory.

Torbett, 51, of Burnbrae Road, Auchinloch, Lenzie, near Glasgow, denies three charges of shameless indecency involving James McGrory, now 44, David Gordon, now 38, and former Scotland star Alan Brazil.

Torbett also denies further offences against Mr McGrory at two cinemas, two restaurants and a bowling alley.

The trial continues on Monday.

Well according to that article, big Jock DID know.

We get told stories about the Celtic players and in particular wee Jinky Johnstone couldn't go for a drink anywhere in Glasgow without Jock finding out, as he had his spies everywhere.  Find it hard to believe that Jock didn't know what was going under his nose at the club.

Why did they let this pedo Torbit back into the club?  Was it cause he didn't drop anyone else in it??

We_are_the_Hearts

Who cares what the silly, ignorant,hun tart says? Scotlands shame that lot

Given her position, and the benefits of good PR, a daft thing to say.

I will not jump on the offended train, though.

I will also not listen to anyone associated with Celtic about what is, or is not appropriate.

Struggling to get worked up about this. Found it mildly amusing, not as amusing as the Celtic fans getting wound up though. Masters of hypocrisy.

Seymour M Hersh

1407276903229_wps_2_05_08_14_PETROFAC_TR

Still wid.

What an idiot.  Never founf the BJK patter funny in the slightest.  

I doubt the orcs are intending it to be funny. It's all part of the game the cheeks play with each other to try and make the other one appear more shameful than the other. Of course the rest of look on, shaking our collective heads knowing they're both equally repugnant.

Silly thing to say, especially if in the public eye. However hardly a big deal or news worthy.

The mock outrage of the offended brigade is ott as per usual!

andyscott82

It's not funny, and it is in poor taste.

I don't understand people that would find this clever or witty.

It is in poor taste, but I would say that the play on words itself was reasonably clever, if not a clever thing to say.

Footballfirst

Silly thing to say, especially if in the public eye. However hardly a big deal or news worthy.

The mock outrage of the offended brigade is ott as per usual!

I agree - but she is definitely very much of the WATP mentality.

Re being easily offended, I was more offended by the OP's assertion that she was a second rate athlete.  I wonder if the OP considers Eilidh Child to be a second rate athlete too, as both Eilidh and Lynsey have comparable records in European and Commonwealth championships.

The White Cockade

might not be the sharpest tool in the box but not a second rate athlete

she is a world class 800m runner

Glamorgan Jambo

Maybe she should be given the benefit of the doubt and people should accept what she's said.

She was writing about Wimbledon and used a phrase that, given her age, and her likely very low number of visits to ?1brox over the years, she didn't fully understand.

Some of the sanctimonious outrage from Selleck supporters is ridiculous (see Mairi Black for a similar example).

I agree - but she is definitely very much of the WATP mentality.

Re being easily offended, I was more offended by the OP's assertion that she was a second rate athlete. I wonder if the OP considers Eilidh Child to be a second rate athlete too, as both Eilidh and Lynsey have comparable records in European and Commonwealth championships.

Sorry the offended pop wasn't at you or any of the posters here, was the media, comments on the back the report etc.

Footballfirst

Sorry the offended pop wasn't at you or any of the posters here, was the media, comments on the back the report etc.

No need to apologise. I didn't read your post as criticising any individual.

Archived