uk short breaks

BM1874

Need some.help

Looking for any recomendations for a short uk break with 2 young kids (4 and a baby)

Looking just to see some sights as well as fun activities for the kids (but not just a soft play)

Requirements are not costing the earth

Access by train

Average about 5 hours mac journey from Edinburgh

Any ideas would be great

Aberfeldy, St Andrews is great, Dumfries, Stirling

Centre Parks just past Penrith is the best place in the UK to take kids IMO but may be a bit expensive. EDIT: Nevermind, it's not accessible by train.

Carl Fredrickson

I was going to say York too

We went last year by train with our 4 year old and had a ball. Stayed at the Premier Inn round the corner from the train station. 

Our wee boy loves the train museum, we saw half of the castle museum (we ran out of time), did an open top bus tour, did a day time boat trip, there is a cinema 2 doors down from the Premier Inn. We have previously done the Yorvik Centre and when we were down last year there was a food fair on in the pedestrian area of the city centre. Loads of things to taste as well as lots of live entertainment. 

We have still to do the story of chocolate which the wife is looking forward too!

Our 4 year old loved the Shambles looking at the old buildings. Their is also the Minster which is worth a visit but maybe not for the kids. 

Depending on the age of your kids, an evening ghost walk could be fun. 

If doing York, plan a bit and book things online and you can save a fortune. 

Edit - just noticed the ages of your kids - our boy was 4 when we did one of the ghost walks and he had a hoot. If you are going in summer it will still be light and if you go on the right kind of one it will not be scary. 

When my kids were younger we went to a few Haven parks,some were pretty average but the ones at Cleethorpes and the Lakedistrict were fantastic.Both are within a few miles of train stations,don't cost the earth and there is lots to do in both areas.I'd maybe opt for Cleethorpes if you don't have a car with you,everything you need is on the doorstep.Including a theme park your 4 year old will love.

Having a young family I always preferred staying in the static caravans,you get your own space and don't need to worry about them running about.Most of the vans we stayed in were brilliant.

doctor jambo

Centre Parks just past Penrith is the best place in the UK to take kids IMO but may be a bit expensive. EDIT: Nevermind, it's not accessible by train.

It is - get the train to Penrith and then a cab- its only about 10 mins

Carl Fredrickson

When my kids were younger we went to a few Haven parks,some were pretty average but the ones at Cleethorpes and the Lakedistrict were fantastic.Both are within a few miles of train stations,don't cost the earth and there is lots to do in both areas.I'd maybe opt for Cleethorpes if you don't have a car with you,everything you need is on the doorstep.Including a theme park your 4 year old will love.

Having a young family I always preferred staying in the static caravans,you get your own space and don't need to worry about them running about.Most of the vans we stayed in were brilliant.

We have went to a few Haven sites too. There is always lots on for the kids - including swimming lessons and archery and fencing for tots. 

The Berwick site is a 5 minute walk from the train station. Cleethorpes is a great site - probably our favourite. You would probably need a taxi from the train station upon arrival but Cleethorpes town centre and beaches are within walking distance. 

robbies-tackle

Ribby Hall near St Anne's. Lovely brick built lodges built round fishing ponds. Has a lovely health club with a pool with slides and a big indoor soft play. Riding stables, evening kids entertainment, on site supermarket. Loads to do locally as well. Recommended

Centre Parks in Nottinghamshire. It's only 10 minutes from Sherwood Forest in the car so Robin Hood and all that.

3 hours 30 on the train and a 20 minute cab ride.

Seymour M Hersh

Yes it is. But i'm not sure how easy the Park is accessible without a car. 

Does nobody do Blackpool anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carl Fredrickson

Ha ha - we do too! Another great time but everything costs money. Loads of places to go and things to do with kids but would probably be cheaper going abroad for a week

Templeton Peck

Took my 4yo daughter to St Andrews last week and she loved it. Great beach and Ice Cream. Asked her on the train home what the best thing was and she said playing golf on the Himalayas

Ha ha - we do too! Another great time but everything costs money. Loads of places to go and things to do with kids but would probably be cheaper going abroad for a week

We've booked a week at the end of the summer holidays, a spur of the moment thing. Got train tickets for less than ?40 (off peak obviously) We're looking at buying the Blackpool Resort Pass. Basically gets you into all the main attractions, pleasure beach, Tussaud and the Dungeons. Nickelodeon Land for the wee ones aswell.

Looking forward to it!

The Real Maroonblood

I am ashamed to admit I have never been to Blackpool.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Arran. Train to ardrossan and then ferry over. Which the kids will love. My 2 kept asking when we were going back to Scotland. We stayed at Auchrannie on a great deal, 2 double beds in the room and plenty of room. Swimming pool and a soft play on the grounds. We also toured the entire island and walked to the caves and glenashdale falls. You're within walking distance of the beach and Brodick and there are plenty of buses around to different parts of the island. Castle has an adventure playground too.

Carl Fredrickson

We've booked a week at the end of the summer holidays, a spur of the moment thing. Got train tickets for less than ?40 (off peak obviously) We're looking at buying the Blackpool Resort Pass. Basically gets you into all the main attractions, pleasure beach, Tussaud and the Dungeons. Nickelodeon Land for the wee ones aswell.

Looking forward to it!

You can and will save a fortune by buying the tickets online. Depending on where you are staying the trams could be your friend. A wee note, you can get a day or weekly ticket for the trams and they are available from lots of shops. The shops are cheaper than buying them on the trams. 

Hope you have a great time, we really enjoy our trips to Blackpool.

BTW if you are staying on the southside, near the Pleasure Beach, there is a train station next to the Pleasure Beach which could save you a taxi fair. 

The train is to Blackpool South & I think we're about walking distance to the hotel. We're going to get the resort pass & I'll look into these tram passes. Thanks for that [emoji106]

Carl Fredrickson

The train is to Blackpool South & I think we're about walking distance to the hotel. We're going to get the resort pass & I'll look into these tram passes. Thanks for that [emoji106]

Blackpool South - I forgot the name of the station. We stayed at the Big Blue Hotel (expensive but a family treat) on our first visit and it backed onto the Pleasure Beach with the train station just beyond the pleasure beach.

If you have a spare hour and the kids are tired out, you may enjoy the comedy carpet. It is on the prom in the shadow of the tower and is lots of sayings and jokes from people that have played in Blackpool. I spent an enjoyable time going round it a couple of years ago whilst our son had a nap in his buggy. It is quite funny to watch lots of folk all wandering about with their heads down. Unless you knew the CC was there, you would be wondering what was going on. 

We also always pop into the RNLI shop - they have a viewing area to view the lifeboats. Check the calender outside the shop as they have training launches on certain days. 

The trams go all the way out to Fleetwood. I think it takes over an hour but is also something to consider if you fancy a fairly relaxing couple of hours. 

I'm up at Aviemore just now. Staying in a hotel in Kingussie which is 12 miles away from Aviemore. There's a train station here that goes to Aviemore (and Edinburgh) and the hotels are fairly cheap. Did the landmark theme park today. Off to the wildlife park or the Cairngorms railway tomorrow. 2 kids are loving it too.

queensferryjambo

I took the family camping (a new experience for us) last week and went to Northumberland and York. 

I had been to York before on a few occasions and it is great.

Northumberland was an eye opener it was really brilliant we only stayed 3 nights but went to Banburgh Castle and Alnwick Castle (& gardens) and they were fantastic.

Lewes is amazing. We were there at the weekend for the Love Supreme festival, best kept secret in the whole of England and very family friendly.

Avoid the bonfires though, it goes nuts.

Archived