Alex MacDonald now in frame

Jamblow

I wish. I've said it before and I'll say it again - bring back Doddie. :)

seconded.

Would love that, get Elvis in with him.

I wish. I've said it before and I'll say it again - bring back Doddie. :)

He should be brought back in some capacity anyway

FORTHCLYDE

I'm pretty sure I asked for him at the start of the year, I would take him back but with a younger number 2 say Elvis.

Jam Tarts 1874

What is Doddie doing with himself these days anyway? He was our manager for 8 years, how good would that kind of stability be now?

I met the great man at Ibrox where he was working on the hospitality.

Very nice, happy to sign autographs and talk about the Hearts (It was a Hearts v Rangers game) even although he was "on duty" for Rangers.

Lot of time for him.

japanjambo

I've been reading Wallace Mercer's book " Anatomy Of A Football Club" whilst on the step machine in the gym. Oh what I'd give for an owner like Wallace just now...and a management team like Alex and Sandy!

Lynn:ninja:

seconded.

Would love that, get Elvis in with him.

Please no.

Don't want him back at Tynie.

He would have difficulty with players who disagreed with him and they would be quite entitled to go behind his back and hold a press conference. What goes around comes around.

Not quite heard it all but this is a topper.

Pretty sure that only leaves Dave Mackay.

Nelly Terraces

They should bring back Doddie as head of discipline. I'd love to see no-marks like fatboy Nade and billy big boots Stewart being forced up and down the sand dunes at Gullane till they were sick.

Get him in. Now!

You would need Sandy back too.

Many thought Sandy was the brains of the outfit while Doddie was the enforcer.

Either way, while I will always hold these guys in the very highest regard, they have been out of management for too long now.

Get JJ in quick and stop the mega threads !!

You would need Sandy back too.

Many thought Sandy was the brains of the outfit while Doddie was the enforcer.

Either way, while I will always hold these guys in the very highest regard, they have been out of management for too long now.

Get JJ in quick and stop the mega threads !!

Ah!... Doddie..the good old days! I remember reading an article about him in Planet Hearts( bring it back by the way!!) He was asked about what he thought about what's been happening at the club, to say he was mortified is an understatement! He also said he'd go back to Hearts in a split second if he was wanted, reading his article left me with NO doubt he wanted to kick some ass at the club. Get the players down Gullane and build some stamina and fight in them, for me they're too wrapped up in cotton wool at that Riccarton, injury after injury! Doddie would "boot their arses" and rightly so!

Alex McDonald is now 60.

Given that Alex Ferguson is 66 and Bobby Robson was managing into his 70s then so long as he is in good health then there is no reason why he should not be working in football management.

Gerry McNee has often spoken out regarding Doddie and what a waste it is to the game that he left Airdrie in 1999 and has not been in management since.

We could certainly do worse than having McDonald at the club with a younger coach below him.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Alex McDonald to me is one of the truly great figures in Hearts recent history.

He made a major contribution to the rebirth of our Club in the 80's.

Jefferies, Burley etc well and good...Doddie took us to 7 minutes of a league title and possible double. For me he is the greatest Hearts manager in my lifetime. The team of '86 would have wiped out the teams of '98 and '06.

A man like that should have some place at the Club and Sandy J too. They are not that old.

God, those were the days...

Glamorgan Jambo

Even though he's not managed for close on 10 years now we're in such a hole that I say it's less of a gamble with Doddie back than it will be with any of the Eastern European candidates we could still get foisted on ourselves. His methods may be considered by some as archaic but not as archaic as Malofeev's.

I like Nellie's idea of a head of discipline, cause that's exactly what we don't have in the set up just now. A couple of times I've watched Doddie being interviewed and he almost spits out the words 'string vests' when talking about what the players were wearing around the club when he first arrived.

CF11JamTart

I like Nellie's idea of a head of discipline

would be delighted with that....

It would be good to have him back at Tynie in some capacity or other.

Archived