Gary Locke trying to sign Lee McCulloch and Kris Boyd

Guess The Crowd

Guest Bilel Mohsni

McCulloch? :facepalm:

This guy needs to retire. He was a good player once but if he carries on much longer he will only be remembered in his current hatchet-man flying elbows incarnation.

queensferryjambo

I can understand Boyd to some extent but McCulloch is absolutely finished.

I have no problem with Locke as a guy but look at his backwards looking signings and potential signings compared to Robbie's forward thinking. 

Bert Le Clos

If true, Locke wants to sign two players who were shite in the Championship, to try and keep a team in the Premiership?

:vrface:

Love him for his time as a player at Hearts and his passion as a manager, but thank **** we got rid of him as head coach.

Hungry hippo

If McCulloch is available on reasonable wages now he might be a decent signing for them. The salary he was picking up at Rangers was crazy but he could still be a useful player for a bottom 6 team.

I do agree that Locke could really do with broadening his outlook for player recruitment though.

TBF Killie will only be able to pay rock bottom wages and Elbows is supposedly meant to be player/coach. GL can't compete with Hearts in terms of signings so bringing in two experienced (i.e. over the hill) players to compliment his youngsters may make some sense.

Bert Le Clos

If McCulloch is available on reasonable wages now he might be a decent signing for them. The salary he was picking up at Rangers was crazy but he could still be a useful player for a bottom 6 team.

I do agree that Locke could really do with broadening his outlook for player recruitment though.

To be fair to Locke, I don't imagine Killie have much spare cash for a scouting network. He also doesn't have the sort of ex-players from years gone by at Killie who can advise on players in the way we seem to be doing with de Vries and Takis, or someone like Levein working with him.

That said, there's so much better than McCulloch and Boyd available.

We'd have won the derbies last season if we'd had him as manager like.

If we'd had him as manager we'd also be looking at another year in the Championship, without question. Jamie Hamill would now be club captain. I know what I'd prefer.

KillieMitch

Absolutely galling to think of the prospect of McCulloch on the sidelines...

I'm clearly biased, but I think Boyd can still rattle in the goals in the SPFL. I'm predicting that a lot of those released Rangers players will suddenly look more like their old selves under proper management next season.

If McCulloch is signed as a player then I'll be digging out the receipt for the season ticket...

Who knows, a real manager might be able to get something out of them.

Probably not. And Locke is almost certainly not the man to do it.

Regal Kingston

McCulloch is quite a versatile player.

Think he is finished but as player/coach/impact substitute its a low risk gamble.

Boyd looked massively overweight last year so it will be interesting to see his condition this term

Locke signed Higginbotham who I think will prove to be a great addition. Very quick and direct.

Can Kilmarnock afford to throw away money scouting around Europe.. I guess not..

Can they afford to pay what they players in England will be looking for.. I guess not..

Beggars can't be choosers.. They need old heads to come in to balance out with their young players.. Both players have played at a reasonably high level and therefore should be able to command some respect in the dressing room..

Nothing to see here.. Just be glad Hearts seem to have the contacts and money to scout around Europe for a higher class of player..

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Robbie and Levein look across the continent for signings.

Lockeh comes up with Jamie Mac, Boyd and McCulloch.

Demonstrates what the better half of us on here have been saying for a long, long time.

Jambo 4 Ever

What sort of team could kilmarnock be lining up with then? Wonder if he will try to get Rudi too

We'd have won the derbies last season if we'd had him as manager like.

Might have showed more desire and passion if we did.

skinnybob72

If Locke can bring in couple of experienced players, within his budget, and they stay up then it's money well spent.

And he's not praying

I remember when Gary Locke was in the running for the Killie job full time, the chairman (I forget his name) was speaking about how any new manager needed to implement a style and ethos that ran through the club. Primarily he spoke about the club developing their own players and playing the 'killie way'.

I wish GL the best with the job on his hands but these kind of signings and that of Jamie Hamill etc kind of go against everything said above. (Of course, every team needs an experienced core and the Killie squad may indeed be very young, I genuinely have no idea.)

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I remember when Gary Locke was in the running for the Killie job full time, the chairman (I forget his name) was speaking about how any new manager needed to implement a style and ethos that ran through the club. Primarily he spoke about the club developing their own players and playing the 'killie way'.

I wish GL the best with the job on his hands but these kind of signings and that of Jamie Hamill etc kind of go against everything said above. (Of course, every team needs an experienced core and the Killie squad may indeed be very young, I genuinely have no idea.)

Experience is useless if the players who have it are shite. Then it's just an excuse for shit signings.

colinmaroon

Kilmarnock will be relegated next season.

Guaranteed if Elbows plays most games!

PS That's over and above those games he'll be suspended.  One sending off with Blue Cheek will turn into 2 or 3 with Killie.

Do believe both have a lot to offer esp to youngsters. McCulloch's a thug on pitch but he's had a good career, gives everything and might just be under rated. He did seem to be carrying Rangers fc on his own at times and did a bit of the same for Wigan in the lower leagues.

But younger, quicker opponents should be happy to play against both. Its more what they bring to club to lead and develop others.

Could also be Locke acknowledging his limitations as a coach and leader to need to bring more experience in.

Boyd is on the same coaching course as Robbie, Alex Neil, Cathro etc.

Phil D. Corners

Have they signed Blackie yet?

Is there a 'where are they now' of rangers squad?

Would be intrested to know where they all are now.

Jambos_1874

Locke is clearly of the McCoist school of thought. Even with a very limited budget there will be better, younger players out there who will be cheaper.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Could also be Locke acknowledging his limitations as a coach and leader to need to bring more experience in.

Boyd is on the same coaching course as Robbie, Alex Neil, Cathro etc.

Imagine the conversation:

Lockeh: "Chairman, am no really that guid a coach so I need tae sign Hammill and McCulloch. Fir ixshpeeriuns likes."

Chairman: "marvellous. Wait the now while I'll put my mortgage on us going down."

Auld Reekin'

For a panic-stricken second or so, when I first saw the thread title, I forgot that Locke was no longer Hearts manager...  

:arry::nojustno::sob:

:facepalm:

rudi must stay

I think, to be fair to him, he's building an experienced SPL team. I think he's getting better as a manager, but ofcourse he's not at the same level as Robbie Neilson

Tommy Brown

Locke is clearly of the McCoist school of thought. Even with a very limited budget there will be better, younger players out there who will be cheaper.

I haven't read it elsewhere, but has wee Stevie left Ibrox and now scouting for Killie?

sorry about repeated postings.  my laptop had a meltdown with Billy Brown

King Of The Cat Cafe

sorry about repeated postings.  my laptop had a meltdown with Billy Brown

So did Hearts, season before last...

Archived