US Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage in all 50 states

Kalamazoo Jambo

Just as you guys, basically the only opposition here was religious (though advocates would often cynically refer to "tradition").  However, we have a separation of church and state, so there really was no reason for the discrimination.  Now the justices who did not side with the majority have instead bleated about the Court thwarting the democratic process--as if basic human rights are up for a vote.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Just as you guys, basically the only opposition here was religious (though advocates would often cynically refer to "tradition").  However, we have a separation of church and state, so there really was no reason for the discrimination.  Now the justices who did not side with the majority have instead bleated about the Court thwarting the democratic process--as if basic human rights are up for a vote.

There isn't really a separation of church and state though Justin.  Looking at the number of politicians that 'play' on their religion.  I think it would be near impossible for an agnostic or atheist to be able to get very far in US politics. 

Scalia yesterday wanted to gut a democratically passed law and today he's bleating about the democratic process. It's quite amusing really. 

From the BBC site:

States affected:

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, most of Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

I'm surprised to see Michigan in there. Always thought it was quite liberal.

Craig Gordons Gloves

From the BBC site:

States affected:

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, most of Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee and Texas.

Almost every state there is redneck as ****.  There are currently militia's being formed all across those states to fight the government.

I always said "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" was ahead of its time.

Kalamazoo Jambo

From the BBC site:

States affected:

Michigan is a mixed bag. Typically veers Democratic in Presidential elections and Republican in Gubernatorial elections.

Detroit is solidly Democrat, but the suburbs are Republican. University towns such as Ann Arbor, Lansing and Kalamazoo are more liberal and Democrat-leaning. Grand Rapids, the second biggest city, has a strong Christian conservative base. Rural areas are also solidly Republican.

The Michigan ban on gay marriage was the result of a referendum in 2004. Today, polls tend to show a small majority in favour of gay marriage, so there has been a substantial change in popular sentiment in the last 10 years or so.

Michigan is a mixed bag. Typically veers Democratic in Presidential elections and Republican in Gubernatorial elections.

Detroit is solidly Democrat, but the suburbs are Republican. University towns such as Ann Arbor, Lansing and Kalamazoo are more liberal and Democrat-leaning. Grand Rapids, the second biggest city, has a strong Christian conservative base. Rural areas are also solidly Republican.

The Michigan ban on gay marriage was the result of a referendum in 2004. Today, polls tend to show a small majority in favour of gay marriage, so there has been a substantial change in popular sentiment in the last 10 years or so.

Cheers!

I tell you, every day's a school day on JKB....

Disgraceful decision. Marriage should be between a man and woman. As god intended. Unnatural, disgusting scum.

::troll:::'> :yas: go USA!

I have a large number of in-laws in Michigan who are, without exception, Christian and Republican.

They will not be happy about this decision.

ToadKiller Dog

mind when the Rev Pat Robertson called Scotland a dark land overrun by homosexuals .

Poor Pat hahaha

There isn't really a separation of church and state though Justin.  Looking at the number of politicians that 'play' on their religion.  I think it would be near impossible for an agnostic or atheist to be able to get very far in US politics. 

Scalia yesterday wanted to gut a democratically passed law and today he's bleating about the democratic process. It's quite amusing really. 

Quite true, and I know this as an atheist.  But at least, the law and governmental practice are supposed to be neutral.  And if said politicians who play on their religion had a single ethical bone in their bodies, they would not appeal to or invoke religion while acting as an instrument of the government.  Jimmy Carter is the last well known, highly religious politician in the U.S. to do just that, which is a terrible indictment of the religious right.

An absolutely wonderful decision. Marriage will now be simply marriage. No differential. Nothing. Wonderful.

The religious right can do one. :verysmug:

Paterson's Tache

Delighted, just off Skype with a relative who has been waiting for this day for decades. She was crying tears of joy, anyone that opposes this decision opposes love. Well done the USA.

Sounds like all the inbred states where this was being opposed. No surprise.

3 eyed sisters and farm yard animals = good.

Ricky Martin's farter = bad.

Archived