1982 UEFA European Under-18 Championship

Adi Dassler

Adi Dassler

Likely to be the only major trophy won by the Scottish Football Association ever.

Does anyone know where I can find out any information about the Scotland team that played in it?

Fitzroy Pointon

Year I was born.  

Can see anything on the squad but this article mentions some of the scorers.  

http://www.uefa.com/under19/history/season=1982/index.html

While England had dominated the former International Youth Tournament, neighbours Scotland lost all six of their semi-finals. But in the second UEFA European Under-18 Championship, the Scots began by eliminating their arch-rivals and ended by lifting their first continental trophy at any level.

Finland were selected as hosts for the 16-team finals, and holders West Germany won the only three-team qualifying group with a perfect record against France and Luxembourg. In other notable preliminaries, the Netherlands and Yugoslavia defeated Wales and Turkey respectively on penalties, the Republic of Ireland overturned a first-leg deficit to beat Northern Ireland and Scotland eliminated England 3-2 overall.

Hosts Finland launched the tournament with 2-1 loss to Czechoslovakia. Also in Group C, Portugal overcame Hungary by the same score and then drew 1-1 with Czechoslovakia while Finland bounced back 3-2 against Hungary. However, the hosts then finished 1-1 against Portugal, allowing Czechoslovakia to claim the sole semi-final berth with a 2-0 win against the Hungarians.

West Germany were drawn in Group A and they began their defence by beating Ireland 1-0. But the Soviet Union, surprise non-qualifiers in 1981, were in determined mood, defeating Austria 4-1 and Ireland 2-0. That gave them a two-point lead as Austria gained a 4-1 win against West Germany, who then lost 1-0 to the USSR to surrender their title. Austria finished second after overcoming Ireland 4-2.

Poland, beaten finalists the year before, won 1-0 against both Belgium and Spain. The Spanish lost 2-1 to Bulgaria, who then fell 1-0 to Belgium. That meant Belgium's closing 3-1 win against Spain gave them hope, but Poland got the point they needed in a goalless game with Bulgaria.

Scotland, meanwhile, were showing fine form in Group D, beating Albania 3-0 and Turkey 2-0. Since the Netherlands, containing the nucleus of their 1988 senior European champions, could only defeat those teams 3-1, Scotland needed only to draw with the Dutch in their decider and did so as Marco van Basten's opener was cancelled out late on by Gary McGinnis. It was also 1-1 between Turkey and Albania in what was to prove the latter's only U18 finals.

The Scots continued their winning ways in the semi-finals, triumphing 2-0 against Poland. Czechoslovakia scored the only goal versus the Soviet Union, who subsequently beat Poland 3-1 for third place. In the final Scotland defeated Czechoslovakia by the same scoreline, Gary Mackay, Pat Nevin and John Phillibe on target for a team coached by future senior team managers Andy Roxburgh and Walter Smith.

Adi Dassler

Year I was born.  

Can see anything on the squad but this article mentions some of the scorers.  

http://www.uefa.com/under19/history/season=1982/index.html

While England had dominated the former International Youth Tournament, neighbours Scotland lost all six of their semi-finals. But in the second UEFA European Under-18 Championship, the Scots began by eliminating their arch-rivals and ended by lifting their first continental trophy at any level.

Finland were selected as hosts for the 16-team finals, and holders West Germany won the only three-team qualifying group with a perfect record against France and Luxembourg. In other notable preliminaries, the Netherlands and Yugoslavia defeated Wales and Turkey respectively on penalties, the Republic of Ireland overturned a first-leg deficit to beat Northern Ireland and Scotland eliminated England 3-2 overall.

Hosts Finland launched the tournament with 2-1 loss to Czechoslovakia. Also in Group C, Portugal overcame Hungary by the same score and then drew 1-1 with Czechoslovakia while Finland bounced back 3-2 against Hungary. However, the hosts then finished 1-1 against Portugal, allowing Czechoslovakia to claim the sole semi-final berth with a 2-0 win against the Hungarians.

West Germany were drawn in Group A and they began their defence by beating Ireland 1-0. But the Soviet Union, surprise non-qualifiers in 1981, were in determined mood, defeating Austria 4-1 and Ireland 2-0. That gave them a two-point lead as Austria gained a 4-1 win against West Germany, who then lost 1-0 to the USSR to surrender their title. Austria finished second after overcoming Ireland 4-2.

Poland, beaten finalists the year before, won 1-0 against both Belgium and Spain. The Spanish lost 2-1 to Bulgaria, who then fell 1-0 to Belgium. That meant Belgium's closing 3-1 win against Spain gave them hope, but Poland got the point they needed in a goalless game with Bulgaria.

Scotland, meanwhile, were showing fine form in Group D, beating Albania 3-0 and Turkey 2-0. Since the Netherlands, containing the nucleus of their 1988 senior European champions, could only defeat those teams 3-1, Scotland needed only to draw with the Dutch in their decider and did so as Marco van Basten's opener was cancelled out late on by Gary McGinnis. It was also 1-1 between Turkey and Albania in what was to prove the latter's only U18 finals.

The Scots continued their winning ways in the semi-finals, triumphing 2-0 against Poland. Czechoslovakia scored the only goal versus the Soviet Union, who subsequently beat Poland 3-1 for third place. In the final Scotland defeated Czechoslovakia by the same scoreline, Gary Mackay, Pat Nevin and John Phillibe on target for a team coached by future senior team managers Andy Roxburgh and Walter Smith.

Thanks mate.

Can't say I remember a Gary McGinnis from later years and I presume it was John Philliben who was with Motherwell.

Would be interesting to see who played, both for Scotland and other nations. I note in the article the nucleus of the Dutch team were in the Euro '88 team.

gerryjambo41

I'm sure Ian Westwater , Gary MacKay and Davie Bowman all played . Paul McStay as well if I remember correctly:D

We_are_the_Hearts

Gary Mackay was an exceptional talent as a youngster and when coming through at Hearts. wonder if he regrets not moving down South in the late 80s after he broke into the Scotland team scoring the winner away to Bulgaria. Jordan moved him to right wing back from attacking mid and he was never quite the same again. Great career including runner up im the league 3 seasons out of 5 but could have been much better

Some player that Dobbin for Scotland. Only man in the starting line and scored the winning goal. I wonder whatever happened to him?

Probably went to Hibs, which would explain his demise.

stirlingshirejambo

team for final

Robin Rae (Hibernian) 
Dave Beaumont (Dundee United) 
John Philliben (Stirling Albion) 
David Rennie (Leicester City) 
Brian Rice (Hibernian) 
Paul McStay (Celtic, capt) 
Dave Bowman (Hearts) 
Gary McGinnis (Dundee United) 
Pat Nevin (Clyde) 
Gary Mackay (Hearts) 
Ally Dick (Tottenham) 

Substitutes: Ian Westwater (Hearts), Billy Livingstone (Wolves), Sam McGivern (Kilmarnock). Also: Jim Dobbin (Celtic, injured for final), Jim McInally (Celtic, suspended for final). 

Neale Cooper, Eric Black and Bryan Gunn were all pulled out because Aberdeen needed them for the cup final.

Edited by stirlingshirejambo

Say What Again

Here's a picture of the winning side

ae85f605a2c7b5f8297ca8c827ec2d0b.jpg

Davie Bowman at training the morning of the game

mask-3.jpg

There is a Wikipedia page about the tournament, although unlike the page on the 1989 U-16 World Cup, it doesn't have squad details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_UEFA_European_Under-18_Championship

The 1989 Under-16 tournament is at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_FIFA_U-16_World_Championship

Fitzroy Pointon

team for final

Robin Rae (Hibernian) 

Brian Rice (Hibernian) 

Dave Bowman (Hearts) 

Pat Nevin (Clyde) 

Gary Mackay (Hearts) 

Ally Dick (Tottenham) 

Substitutes: Ian Westwater (Hearts), Billy Livingstone (Wolves), Sam McGivern (Kilmarnock). Also: Jim Dobbin (Celtic, injured for final), Jim McInally (Celtic, suspended for final). 

Neale Cooper, Eric Black and Bryan Gunn were all pulled out because Aberdeen needed them for the cup final.

Remember the first John Robertson video they had highlights of a schoolboys game v. England at Wembley, think it was 5-4 to Scotland or something like that.  Looks like a few of that team played in that game.  I remember Ally Dick scoring and seeing McStay, Bowman and MacKay as well as Robbo himself.  

Nookie Bear

team for final

Robin Rae (Hibernian) 

Brian Rice (Hibernian) 

Dave Bowman (Hearts) 

Pat Nevin (Clyde) 

Gary Mackay (Hearts) 

Ally Dick (Tottenham) 

Quite a few of that starting line up are recognisable to me as going on to have decent (or half-decent!) careers. Throw in the Aberdeen mob and that is a decent batch of kids.

I remember an interview with Gary McKay where he talked about the World Championship in Mexico and how he played for Scotland in the Aztec Stadium in front of 100,000

Cairneyhill Jambo

Some player that Dobbin for Scotland. Only man in the starting line and scored the winning goal. I wonder whatever happened to him?

Sounds like a bit of a carthorse.

I remember an interview with Gary McKay where he talked about the World Championship in Mexico and how he played for Scotland in the Aztec Stadium in front of 100,000

think John Robertson was in Mexico too

lost in quarters having won group

Jam Tarts 1874

team for final

Robin Rae (Hibernian) 

Brian Rice (Hibernian) 

Dave Bowman (Hearts) 

Pat Nevin (Clyde) 

Gary Mackay (Hearts) 

Ally Dick (Tottenham) 

Was the best group on young Scottish players in my lifetime, but hardly any of them went on to make a contribution to the full team - I wonder why?  Is it because only couple of them played for Celtic?

queensferryjambo

Was the best group on young Scottish players in my lifetime, but hardly any of them went on to make a contribution to the full team - I wonder why?  Is it because only couple of them played for Celtic?

No - it is because most of them didn't play well enough as they got older? 

Pat Nevin played for Scotland loads of times and he never played fro Celtic.

Gary Mackay was an exceptional talent as a youngster and when coming through at Hearts. wonder if he regrets not moving down South in the late 80s after he broke into the Scotland team scoring the winner away to Bulgaria. Jordan moved him to right wing back from attacking mid and he was never quite the same again. Great career including runner up im the league 3 seasons out of 5 but could have been much better

Mackay and Bowman were the outstanding talents in east of Scotland juvenile football at the time, I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was absolutely no doubt that they along with Robbo were almost certainties to become pro footballers, amongst there peers at the time it was accepted as fact, Mackay was signing for Man Utd and Bowman for Tottenham, and when Bobby Moncur and Archie Martin persuaded them to sign for Hearts along with Robbo a few months later it was seen as a massive coup for the club, in hindsight probably the most significant signings made by the club in the last 50 years, remember at the time we were yoyoing between the premier and first divisions.

Mackay and Bowman along with Ian Westwater were members of that successful 1982 Euro Championship winning side, still the only Scottish national team to win a major tournament at any level.

Other members included Paul McStay Ally Dick Brian Rice, player of the tournament Pat Nevin of Clyde, and the man Franz Beckenbaur hailed as one the best young defenders in Europe Neale Cooper of Aberdeen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mackay and Bowman were the outstanding talents in east of Scotland juvenile football at the time, I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was absolutely no doubt that they along with Robbo were almost certainties to become pro footballers, amongst there peers at the time it was accepted as fact, Mackay was signing for Man Utd and Bowman for Tottenham, and when Bobby Moncur and Archie Martin persuaded them to sign for Hearts along with Robbo a few months later it was seen as a massive coup for the club, in hindsight probably the most significant signings made by the club in the last 50 years, remember at the time we were yoyoing between the premier and first divisions.

Mackay and Bowman along with Ian Westwater were members of that successful 1982 Euro Championship winning side, still the only Scottish national team to win a major tournament at any level.

Other members of the squad at that time included Paul McStay Ally Dick Brian Rice, player of the tournament Pat Nevin of Clyde, and the man Franz Beckenbaur hailed as one the best young defenders in Europe Neale Cooper of Aberdeen

Ally Dick.

Bowman?

Robbo may have been injured.

Robbo wasn't in the squad , wasn't a regular in the Hearts first team till around autumn 1982, he wasn't in the squad for the world championships in Mexico 1983 either, Eric Black and Brian McLair being the first choice strikers

Allowayjambo1874

If you read Gary McKay's autobiography I think the whole team thought Paul McStay was an incredible talent and the superstar in that team. Even in later years he is regarded incredibly highly by his fellow pros which speaks more highly than us fandans on the terraces.

Think he wasted his entire career playing for that lot when in actual fact he could've gone on and been a true Scottish superstar on European stage. 

Buffalo Bill

As has been mentioned, MacKay could've signed for Man Utd, but by the late 80s, the only move I remember him being linked to was Dundee Utd.

Buffalo Bill

The 1980 Scottish Schools game v England at Wembley is pretty iconic. Scotland won the match 4-3. Robbo played in it.

Finlay James

If you read Gary McKay's autobiography I think the whole team thought Paul McStay was an incredible talent and the superstar in that team. Even in later years he is regarded incredibly highly by his fellow pros which speaks more highly than us fandans on the terraces.

Think he wasted his entire career playing for that lot when in actual fact he could've gone on and been a true Scottish superstar on European stage.

I always liked Mcstay and thought he was way too good for Celtic. He almost left if I recall around 1989 but opted to stay for some reason.

He was head and shoulders above his peers in Scotland which was no mean feat at that time as the league was the equal of the top league in England. There's no telling how he could have progressed if he had left Celtic but I always thought that had he joined a big European club he would have flourished.

Allowayjambo1874

I always liked Mcstay and thought he was way too good for Celtic. He almost left if I recall around 1989 but opted to stay for some reason.

He was head and shoulders above his peers in Scotland which was no mean feat at that time as the league was the equal of the top league in England. There's no telling how he could have progressed if he had left Celtic but I always thought that had he joined a big European club he would have flourished.

Was at the Scotland v Iceland game as a kid, when as an 18 year old he scored 2 goals and recall coming back on the bus all the men on the bus were raving about him, it felt like a real JFK moment and he had arrived on the international stage.

Think in 89 he nearly signed for Inter Milan (?) but at last minute stayed on at Celtic. When you look back it's real face palm stuff.

Wouldn't happen now would it (Lee Wallace?)

The 1980 Scottish Schools game v England at Wembley is pretty iconic. Scotland won the match 4-3. Robbo played in it.

Think it was 5 4 and Paul Rideout scored a hattrick for the losing side ??

Buffalo Bill

Think it was 5 4 and Paul Rideout scored a hattrick for the losing side ??

You're right, it was 5-4.

Buffalo Bill

He was probably the best player in Scotland in season 1991/92, and then looked certain to leave but he ended up signing another deal which was a massive mistake as Celtic were utter gash for the next three years.

He stayed because nobody came in for him.

He threw his top into the crowd in what he thought was his last game at Parkhead.

I still bring this up with some Celtic fans I know to annoy them. :laugh:

drumie jambo

He was head and shoulders above his peers in Scotland which was no mean feat at that time as the league was the equal of the top league in England. There's no telling how he could have progressed if he had left Celtic but I always thought that had he joined a big European club he would have flourished

Whilst he was a great player he never played well against us due to Neil Berry man marking him and playing him off the park every time we played .

The only thing that stopped Paul 'potential' McStay leaving Selik for a big club was that no big club came in for him. 

Wouldn't there still be massive interest in a Scotland v England schoolboys international?  What if the profits went to children's hospital?

Is society so obsessed with Wayne Rooney et al that there's no appetite for this?

Pretty sure the 4-5 was played in front of 80,000 plus at Wembley.

The Shed Floodlight

Think it was around 80,000 at game for the 5-4 one.  those games used to get covered live by ITV and Brian Moore was the commentator, remember him saying it was the best game he had seen for years at any level.

Allowayjambo1874

He was head and shoulders above his peers in Scotland which was no mean feat at that time as the league was the equal of the top league in England. There's no telling how he could have progressed if he had left Celtic but I always thought that had he joined a big European club he would have flourished

Whilst he was a great player he never played well against us due to Neil Berry man marking him and playing him off the park every time we played .

London hearts stats, p53 celtic won 29 d14 and l10 and this to a very strong talented hearts team. Brokje my heart in first game of 85/6 season after JC had ripped them a new one all game only for mcstay to equalise in last minute.

jambos are go!

Ally Dick was supposed to be the next George Best and many thought him to be the best young player in the world. Hugely talented with whippet like pace that was sadly undone IMO when mother nature filled him out a bit too much.

McStay was similar to Barry Ferguson in being a Scotland player who could hit a pass long or short within the whole 360 degrees. Unfortunately possession football was never the Scottish way, and you still hear plenty of auld grumpy at Tynecastle going apoplectic when a pass is not forward...

Edited by Spellczech

• 5 years later...
On 26/06/2015 at 12:34, Salad Fingers said:

Remember the first John Robertson video they had highlights of a schoolboys game v. England at Wembley, think it was 5-4 to Scotland or something like that.  Looks like a few of that team played in that game.  I remember Ally Dick scoring and seeing McStay, Bowman and MacKay as well as Robbo himself.  

On 27/06/2015 at 11:27, jambos are go! said:

Ally Dick was supposed to be the next George Best and many thought him to be the best young player in the world. Hugely talented with whippet like pace that was sadly undone IMO when mother nature filled him out a bit too much.

“The best young player in the world”. I must admit, I have never heard that one before… but I will take it!  👍 As for the mother nature thing (I never filled out till I was 45)  IMO, it was actually a snapped Cruciate Ligament while playing for Ajax v Olympiacos and 3 knee operations that slowed me down. That was after winning the UEFA Cup with Tottenham and the Cup Winners Cup with Ajax though! 😜