Steve Fulton: Jim Jefferies the man to revive Hearts' fortunes

slfjambo

Steve Fulton: Jim Jefferies the man to revive Hearts' fortunes

May 28 2008 By Gary Ralston

FORMER Hearts favourite Steve Fulton reckons Vladimir Romanov should make a move for Jim Jefferies.

The Tynecastle club have been forced back to the drawing board after Mark McGhee rejected a switch to Gorgie and committed his immediate future to Motherwell.

Hearts now run the risk of another summer of managerial uncertainty but Fulton insists the solution lies at Kilmarnock in a boss who could do for his first love what Walter Smith has achieved at Rangers.

The Jambos youth team coach reckons a return of Jefferies and assistant Billy Brown is a dream ticket for Hearts fans and would be the club's best chance of fulfilling its potential under the Lithuanian tycoon.

Fulton was part of the squad that turned around Hearts' fortunes soon after Jefferies and Brown arrived from Falkirk for the first time in 1995.

He reckons the duo could do it again after the club finished eighth in the SPL, a poor return for the millions lavished by Romanov on the playing staff.

Fulton said: "The answer is staringMr Romanov in the face and that's a return of Jim and Billy. They would be my first choice and the choice of many Hearts fans too.

"They are still held in high regard if the reaction of fans at Robbie Neilson's testimonial is anything to go by.

"I hope Hearts make a move for them. They seem relatively happy at Kilmarnock but I'm sure they would relish one last big challenge to turn around Hearts' fortunes.

"I can't think of anyone betterequipped and while some people say you should never go back it has certainly worked out well for Walter Smith at Rangers.

"Walter has worked with more money in his career but their positions are still comparable in that they are the same age and experience has allowed them to become more mellow and confident in their abilities.

"After losing out on Mark McGhee, I would be surprised if Hearts don't sound out Jim and Billy to gauge their interest."

Steve Frail admitted a culture of slackness has been allowed to develop at Hearts in recent years.

Certain players could commit murder on Gorgie Road and still find their place in the team secure, while others gave up after fighting a losing battle for acceptance under the Romanov regime.

Fulton admitted a huge pang of sympathy for the predicament of Frail, who was on a hiding to nothing, but said Jefferies and Brown are just the men to chase the shirkers from the club and build as successful a squad as they did first time round.

Fulton said: "Steve made Hearts the third-best performing team in the SPL between taking over in January and the split.

Players talked openly about enjoying training again.

"The experience will stand Steve in good stead but he admitted how hard it was to change certain mentalities in the dressing room.

"Steve said a lot needs to be sorted and Jim and Billy have a track record of doing that previously at Hearts.

"I joined the club soon after them in the summer of 1995 and 12 players from Glasgow and the west used to meet up at Newhouse on the M8 for the team bus to take us to games.

"A couple of months later, the turnaround in numbers was so great it was down to John Colquhoun and me.

If any current Hearts players think they could slack under Jim and Billy they'd soon find they have another think coming.

"They are winners and would not accept anyone not taking a pride in the club or their teammates."

Hearts fans have threatened to delay season ticket renewals until the managerial situation is clarified.

Fulton added: "They want to see their club take positive steps to improve.

"A move to bring back Jim and Billy would be a move in the right direction."

Guess The Crowd

It seems to me that Craig Levein should be sounded out, privately and discreetly, about a return to Hearts 12 months from now. Given Dundee Utd's present circumstances, that would, I think, be reasonable.

What's needed in the interim is a safe pair of hands, someone who will steady the ship, before possibly 'moving upstairs' in a year's time.

As things stand today, JJ and that role seem ideally suited to each other.

Well said Baggio. (and well played in the Robbie game!)

Time for you to get promoted up to a senior coaching role too.

Italian Lambretta

I couldn't agree more with what you have said. There is no chance of Levein coming to Hearts at the moment with the condition of Eddie Thompson still ongoing. (Best way I could put it)

To get JJ back in now to set the foundations for the future return of Craig Levein is by far the best option.

As I said before I would like JJ to bring Gary Locke with him as a coach and possibly bring in Robbo as well to make up the dream Hearts Team.

It seems to me that Craig Levein should be sounded out, privately and discreetly, about a return to Hearts 12 months from now. Given Dundee Utd's present circumstances, that would, I think, be reasonable.

What's needed in the interim is a safe pair of hands, someone who will steady the ship, before possibly 'moving upstairs' in a year's time.

As things stand today, JJ and that role seem ideally suited to each other.

The Future's Maroon

Does anyone really think JJ would come back knowing he was a stop gap? I doubt it, he'd come back if he were to get he job full time I think.

Levein - have we not learnt our lessons from the last few days?

Like many, for me, Levein should have been the first choice, not McGhee, but I'm certain he won't take the job right now. There don't appear to be many choices. Jefferies would certainly stand for none of the prima donna nonsense that so many players at Hearts have been getting away with for too long.

Dream team for me at this time would be JJ with Pressley as his assistant. Kenny Black as a coach and Robbo and club legend Mackay in some kind of Iain Durrant type role.

Please Romanov, make the right choice here. Let football (Hearts) people run the playing side of the club. You stick to what you do best, whatever that is.

Rudolf's Mate

I think he would need to offer funny money to prise Craig away from Utd. It's a toss up between him and Jeffried for me and I personally think that JJ more than edges it.

Craig is one for the future but not in a years time. I don't want a stop gap of another 12 months. If Vlad wants CL then he should move heaven and earth to get him. If he isn't 1st choice then he should be going for JJ!

Guess The Crowd
Does anyone really think JJ would come back knowing he was a stop gap? I doubt it, he'd come back if he were to get he job full time I think.

Levein - have we not learnt our lessons from the last few days?

I think it could be sold to JJ as being more than a stop-gap, ie a progression to a 'director of football' type role (even though I don't like that particular title). Given the stage in his career that JJ is now at, I don't see that as being unappealing to him. And, as I say, my idea would be to get Levein back in a year's time.

JJ should be seriously considered by the Romanov and Co. A true Hearts man who has a proven track record of bringing through great youngsters, something which Romanov has already stated he wants to see...whilst offering experience and a disciplined head to some of the slackers that Fulton has discussed.

Archived