Just thought I'd share a text a mate just received (NHC)

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

A mutual friend of ours, and diehard Newcastle fan, is holidaying with his family in Villamoura, Portugal - and tonight, found himself dining at the next table along from none other than Walter Smith and Ally McCoist. Walter told him to pass the message on to my mate, who was utterly scathing of Rangers' progress in Europe, that they never play for penalties (!); and Ally came and chatted with the Toon fan for ten or fifteen minutes.

It turns out that Ally has an eight year old kid with the same tragic, debilitating condition as the Newcastle fan's son, Stephen - and our mate reckons Stephen got a huge kick from the experience. Things like this restore my faith in humanity, and put everything into perspective really: contrary to what many think, there are many decent people in football, and Walter and Ally are certainly among them.

shaun.lawson
Stop trying to suck up to the loyalists Shaun! :laugh:

Hehehe! :)

A mutual friend of ours, and diehard Newcastle fan, is holidaying with his family in Villamoura, Portugal - and tonight, found himself dining at the next table along from none other than Walter Smith and Ally McCoist. Walter told him to pass the message on to my mate, who was utterly scathing of Rangers' progress in Europe, that they never play for penalties (!); and Ally came and chatted with the Toon fan for ten or fifteen minutes.

It turns out that Ally has an eight year old kid with the same tragic, debilitating condition as the Newcastle fan's son, Stephen - and our mate reckons Stephen got a huge kick from the experience. Things like this restore my faith in humanity, and put everything into perspective really: contrary to what many think, there are many decent people in football, and Walter and Ally are certainly among them.

Yeah that really is great news I can see why your mate phoned and the info couldn't possibly wait until he got home. :rolleyes: Also most people have always had a bit of time for McCoist so in essence the breaking news is Walters OK good stuff fan****intastic

Yeah that really is great news I can see why your mate phoned and the info couldn't possibly wait until he got home. :rolleyes: Also most people have always had a bit of time for McCoist so in essence the breaking news is Walters OK good stuff fan****intastic

Does the original post really merit a sarcastic answer like this?

shaun.lawson

Oh, please! My mate was just excited, that's all - mainly because he cares about his son so much, and knows what a lift it's given him. Believe it or not, some things in life are more important than football: even at a time when we've just suffered yet another kick to our collective solar plexus.

TimeBandit

Fair play to your mate..

I've always rated mcoist as, first a player and secondly as a decent bloke..

Although you should have had more sense than to post this coz most of the replies are from complete fu**wits who can't see it for what it is..

Ignore the negatives mate, they're posted by ******s.

good luck to your mate and his son.. also AM and his.. there are more important things in life than some mad **** trying to ruin our club. Fact.

WestcoastJambo

I feel your utterly pointless reply could have waited far longer than that........:mad:

Nice story Shaun.

Does the original post really merit a sarcastic answer like this?

Not at all. I was just reading the board looking for some good news then bang I get hit with this :033:

shaun.lawson
Not at all. I was just reading the board looking for some good news then bang I get hit with this :033:

Which is, to be fair, why I put NHC in the title.

You got anything more interesting to contribute than the thread starter or is that it?

Maybe Walter & Ally can be the Tynecastle Tigers next season? :)

McCoist has already been there, so to speak. He hid inside the scary Hearty Harry suite and did an over-enthusiastic version of the usual 'meet n' greet' at half time of the last home match we played (I think) before the 1996 cup final. He was revealed at the end of half time, much to the bemusement of most of the crowd.

Two seasons later he was greetin' for a different reason. ;)

am i the only one who finds it weird that after one of the longest seasons ever they would want to then go on holiday together?

Oh, and I should have said fair play to Pinky and the Brain* for the nice gesture.

[*not a Sarge original, someone else coined it on JKB a few days ago but it does fit wonderfully well, no?]

shaun.lawson
am i the only one who finds it weird that after one of the longest seasons ever they would want to then go on holiday together?

I do too. I would add "each to their own, I suppose", but it'd be out of keeping with the spirit of this thread, so I won't. :) Cheers to everyone (well, almost everyone) for their supportive comments, by the way!

shaun.lawson
Oh, and I should have said fair play to Pinky and the Brain* for the nice gesture.

[*not a Sarge original, someone else coined it on JKB a few days ago but it does fit wonderfully well, no?]

It sure does! It's a classic!

shaun.lawson
McCoist has already been there, so to speak. He hid inside the scary Hearty Harry suite and did an over-enthusiastic version of the usual 'meet n' greet' at half time of the last home match we played (I think) before the 1996 cup final. He was revealed at the end of half time, much to the bemusement of most of the crowd.

Two seasons later he was greetin' for a different reason. ;)

Yeah, I remember that. You had to hand it to him: last game before we played his side in, in a sense, our most important game since 1962 - and our opponents' star man is conducting a spying mission by disguising himself as our mascot! Coisty always makes me chuckle: he's a top bloke, even if he did play for Rangers.

Oh, please! My mate was just excited, that's all - mainly because he cares about his son so much, and knows what a lift it's given him. Believe it or not, some things in life are more important than football: even at a time when we've just suffered yet another kick to our collective solar plexus.

I was at a funeral today and the conversation got round to families like they do at times like this.

Without hesitation I said I would do anything for my kids and that they ARE my world (as would any father say) so I totally understand where your mate is coming from and to speak to a someone and share their thoughts about the situation but more so speak to someone we can all relate too - then yes I can totally understand why your mate is so excited.

I wish your mate and more importantly his son all the best.

Bit of waste of space, aren't you?

Thanks, Shaun. I enjoyed that.

shaun.lawson
I was at a funeral today and the conversation got round to families like they do at times like this.

Without hesitation I said I would do anything for my kids and that they ARE my world (as would any father say) so I totally understand where your mate is coming from and to speak to a someone and share their thoughts about the situation but more so speak to someone we can all relate too - then yes I can totally understand why your mate is so excited.

I wish your mate and more importantly his son all the best.

Cheers CAL: I'll pass your best wishes on. Family and loved ones aren't everything: they're the only thing.

I am sure McCoist is quite nice in general, and I feel for his son if he has some awful illness (hate to see kids suffer), however I do not like him for the reason that he has NEVER stood up against the bigots and their songs at Ibrox. He either agrees with the sentiments or is too cowardly to stand up and condemn the nonsense.

The only time he has spoken out about the filth that his fellow supporters sing was when he found out that his beloved club could lose points for it!

Does McCoist think the only thing wrong with wishing to be up to your knees in dead Irish Catholics is that it can get your club in trouble? Personally I find that strange.

Glad it made your friends night Shaun, but sorry I still do not see McCoist as a real decent person.

As for Walter....he walked out on Scotland so is on a par with that wee toerag from Celtic McGeady!

As for never playing for penalties, what a crock of smelly stuff!

I wouldnt want to go on holiday with someone from work. Maybe no other pals :)

So because Walter Smith passed on a message to your mate saying 'we never play for penalties', he's now a good guy?

John Findlay
I am sure McCoist is quite nice in general, and I feel for his son if he has some awful illness (hate to see kids suffer), however I do not like him for the reason that he has NEVER stood up against the bigots and their songs at Ibrox. He either agrees with the sentiments or is too cowardly to stand up and condemn the nonsense.

The only time he has spoken out about the filth that his fellow supporters sing was when he found out that his beloved club could lose points for it!

Does McCoist think the only thing wrong with wishing to be up to your knees in dead Irish Catholics is that it can get your club in trouble? Personally I find that strange.

Glad it made your friends night Shaun, but sorry I still do not see McCoist as a real decent person.

As for Walter....he walked out on Scotland so is on a par with that wee toerag from Celtic McGeady!

As for never playing for penalties, what a crock of smelly stuff!

I disagree with you.

Walter Smith and Ally McCoist gave the biggest two finger salute to all the bigots in Scotland when they were pall bearers for Tommy Burns coffin. All the Burns family gave a two fingered salute that day to all the bigots too.

Sometimes you dont have to have a rant or speech to get your message across.

As I said at the time Smith and MacCoist with the agreement of the Burns family attended more than a funeral that day.

John

fud

Maybe Walter & Ally can be the Tynecastle Tigers next season? :)

Is that what our latest useless lot are called? Tynecastle Tigers.

When I have bothered to glance at them it always seems to me that one of them can't really be bothered with the whole useless caper and just sits on his behind while the other one dances around a bit.

Was it this lot or one of the previous useless mascots who used to post on here?

Is the Bobby Robson (or somebody like that) Charity Golf event not on this weekend in Portugal, I'm sure I heard Alan Brazil talking about it.

Tom Heaney
So because Walter Smith passed on a message to your mate saying 'we never play for penalties', he's now a good guy?

Ermm, Read the rest of the story rather than cherry pick a line from it to suit your cause. But be assured Walter Smith is not a good guy, he's actually a fantastic person take that as a fact and no he didn't pass on a message to me about not playing for penalties

Ermm, Read the rest of the story rather than cherry pick a line from it to suit your cause. But be assured Walter Smith is not a good guy, he's actually a fantastic person take that as a fact and no he didn't pass on a message to me about not playing for penalties

What happened in the rest of the story, cant see him mentioned again?

Are they good guys because they talk to other humans?

shaun.lawson
What happened in the rest of the story, cant see him mentioned again?

Are they good guys because they talk to other humans?

Oh, come on! No-one (and this is addressed to Craig R as well as you) is suggesting Walter and Ally should now be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize just for demonstrating simple human decency and compassion last night. But the trouble with football is I think we end up regarding many within it almost as cartoon characters: so there are goodies (often who play for our team), and baddies (who play for or manage our rivals) - and that's before I even mention the referees, authorities or gentlemen of the press!

Unfortunately, everything gets viewed through this ridiculously black and white lens as a result, even when don't actually have any idea what people are like in their real lives at all. Stories such as last night's would be inconsequential if we heard about them more often - but they're just never considered newsworthy enough, which is why I felt it was worth giving an airing when hearing about it.

Even though Smith left his national side midway through a qualification campaign, even though neither Smith nor McCoist have ever really faced up to the bigots (but then, what OF manager or player ever does? And if you and your family had to live in a city so full of intolerance and sectarianism, would you have the bottle to do so either?), they're still, at the end of the day, decent blokes like you or I. Something that tends to get lost amid the flotsam, jetsam and general hysteria of football, or indeed public life nowadays.

Did McCoist also explain why he turned his back on his wife and kids for someone else?

Just asking, like....

shaun.lawson
Did McCoist also explain why he turned his back on his wife and kids for someone else?

Just asking, like....

LOL! Honestly, this place sometimes... :)

No it's a serious point. I think a lot of people are taken in by the cheeky chappy persona he puts across in the media. But ask his ex-wife (and his bairns) what she thinks of him. I think they might have a different opinion...

shaun.lawson
No it's a serious point. I think a lot of people are taken in by the cheeky chappy persona he puts across in the media. But ask his ex-wife (and his bairns) what she thinks of him. I think they might have a different opinion...

Sure. But are we really able to discern a man's character by how they behave in their personal lives? That, too, is a serious point: there's two sides to every story, and not just what we read in the press.

Sure. But are we really able to discern a man's character by how they behave in their personal lives? That, too, is a serious point: there's two sides to every story, and not just what we read in the press.

Sorry, I think we can tell far more by how they perform in their personal life rather than the fake life that is the celebrity spotlight...

Sentimental slush

Shed

shaun.lawson
Sentimental slush

Shed

Oops. There we go again! I'm even more certain of what I suggested yesterday now... :)

Oops. There we go again! I'm even more certain of what I suggested yesterday now... :)

But not as certain as I am of you. Drama Queen.

A nice story but what the hell has this to do with Hearts.

What a load of bollox.

Put it in the shed and we'll all sympathise/empathise with you.

Rawrrrrrrr

what do you expect?

It was a completely pointless thread in the first place, why are you so offended at people pointing it out

Life sucks , sometimes another person has the same sucky aspect and relates

Its hardly worth a thread on KB

Your pal couldnt exactly have been enjoying himself to feel the need to share it by text either

shaun.lawson

What a load of bollox.

LOL! Keep digging... :)

Denny Crane

One can imagine the knuckles being dragged furiously by some here if you ever let slip Shaun that women have the vote and that the world is actually round! ;)

shaun.lawson
what do you expect?

It was a completely pointless thread in the first place, why are you so offended at people pointing it out

Your pal couldnt exactly have been enjoying himself to feel the need to share it by text either

Nothing pointless about it, and most people entered into the spirit in which it was intended. No surprise you haven't, though - out of interest, is there anything that makes you happy, or are you a complete misery in everything you do?

Denny Crane
what do you expect?

Speaks numero uno hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Rawrrrrrrr
Nothing pointless about it, and most people entered into the spirit in which it was intended. No surprise you haven't, though - out of interest, is there anything that makes you happy, or are you a complete misery in everything you do?

What was the spirit of it? Please do share

shaun.lawson
One can imagine the knuckles being dragged furiously by some here if you ever let slip Shaun that women have the vote and that the world is actually round! ;)

It's those dreadful liberal handwringers that got that through, matt: didn't you know? ;)

Oh God - this is turning into a Shed thread after all... :)

Boaby Ewing
what do you expect?

If you ever meet Avram Grant, don't bother starting a thread about how you both bonded over being an unpopular Toad of Toad Hall lookalike.

Wouldn't want you to be a hypocrite, eh?

shaun.lawson
What was the spirit of it? Please do share

To show that people in football, even those we often decry or even loathe, are just as human and decent as anyone else. Present company excepted, of course. ;)

Denny Crane

What a load of bollox.

Listen chum. If this thread is so abhorrent, then I suggest you take a look around the world and shut the **** up.

Get a grip sunshine. Far more serious things to get wound up over than someone illustrating a human side of two people we consider to be sporting adversaries.

Archived