$15 billion award

Sharpie

A Judge in Quebec has ordered tobacco companies to pay fifteen billion dollars in an award resulting from a Class Action Suit.  The companies were accused of lying about health risks and possibility of addiction to their tobacco products. The award will be appealed, but an irrevocable order to pay a billion dollars not subject to appeal has been ordered.

Already on radio the discussions have started about the probable legalisation of marijuana in Canada and possible similar cases as a result  coming up in the probably distant future. I have been a smoker but not for close to thirty years now, never touched marijuana or other than alcohol, (copious quantities) no mood changing or enhancing drugs.  As one cynic has said they may have to push the marijuana program now so that Government can tax it and make up for potential lost tobacco taxes.

indianajones

A Judge in Quebec has ordered tobacco companies to pay fifteen billion dollars in an award resulting from a Class Action Suit.  The companies were accused of lying about health risks and possibility of addiction to their tobacco products. The award will be appealed, but an irrevocable order to pay a billion dollars not subject to appeal has been ordered.

Already on radio the discussions have started about the probable legalisation of marijuana in Canada and possible similar cases as a result  coming up in the probably distant future. I have been a smoker but not for close to thirty years now, never touched marijuana or other than alcohol, (copious quantities) no mood changing or enhancing drugs.  As one cynic has said they may have to push the marijuana program now so that Government can tax it and make up for potential lost tobacco taxes.

Interesting news. Fifteen billion dollars is insane. Who is it to be paid too and what date did the companies lie about their products?

I'll never understand smoking. Inhaling all that shite is just utter madness in my opinion. 

Interesting news. Fifteen billion dollars is insane. Who is it to be paid too and what date did the companies lie about their products?

I'll never understand smoking. Inhaling all that shite is just utter madness in my opinion. 

I believe there are 131 people involved in the suit, and the time factor is long term at least in the last twenty years. Some had illness probably cancer, and at least one said they had tried to stop smoking but was just too heavily addicted. When I heard the news and a few comments it was pretty new on the air here, I haven't been able to watch what will be I am sure major discussions on the main news channels.  I am not sure I have ever heard such an award in Canada, and would be most surprised if it is ever paid after all the legal haggling and appeals that will go on.

Archived