Paulie Walnut

Stadium Update - council APPROVES plan for new stand!

Swarlos

We're lucky in the sense that there is a lot of land between the main stand and Mcloed Street.

The nursey is right in the corner as well so that may be able to stay where it is and just demolish the buildings that we own.

CBjambo

If Alloa can get a 6 figure sum for recs I'm sure we could command a few million over 10 years.

A few million still leaves us with a whole heap of debt to be managed.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, all I'm wondering is how and maybe if AB sees herself as staying longer to oversee such a monumental investment and construction?

The level of investment in Scottish Football is appalling, primarily due to the proximity of the EPL billions floating around, a duopoly that killed off any real title competition over three decades that has led to a far inferior product on the pitch... hence no foreign interest or money.

CBjambo

We're lucky in the sense that there is a lot of land between the main stand and Mcloed Street.

The nursey is right in the corner as well so that may be able to stay where it is and just demolish the buildings that we own.

I'm sure I read before that it was access rights that were troublesome, proximity to ground, shared access. I'm not sure it was ever resolved?!

Jambof3tornado

Any planning would certainly have more chance of success with Ann and co at the helm than Mr Romanov.

We really do have great times ahead. We are in a better position now than we have been in my lifetime.

GJamboR7

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, all I'm wondering is how and maybe if AB sees herself as staying longer to oversee such a monumental investment and construction?

The level of investment in Scottish Football is appalling, primarily due to the proximity of the EPL billions floating around, a duopoly that killed off any real title competition over three decades that has led to a far inferior product on the pitch... hence no foreign interest or money.

The finance of this will not have to be in place for 3-4 years. In that time I'm sure at least 5 or 6 of our players will have flown the nest. I suspect 1 or 2 for a substational fee. Along with the extra income from FOH, the possibility of European football within the next couple of years and the continued backing from the supporters. Plus the lack of financing our debt. I'm sure we can make a decent profit in the years to come and begin to save for the redevlopment. When the time comes, I'm sure there will be money saved away, sponsorship and fans willing to donate

GJamboR7

The finance of this will not have to be in place for 3-4 years. In that time I'm sure at least 5 or 6 of our players will have flown the nest. I suspect 1 or 2 for a substational fee. Along with the extra income from FOH, the possibility of European football within the next couple of years and the continued backing from the supporters. Plus the lack of financing our debt. I'm sure we can make a decent profit in the years to come and begin to save for the redevlopment. When the time comes, I'm sure there will be money saved away, sponsorship and fans willing to donate

Stuart Lyon

Watching the Juventus v RM game in the relatively new Stadium delle Alpi  it doesn't have (I think 12m() run off areas behind the goals that were mentioned when we were banned form using Tynecastle for European games so are these requirements at UEFA's discretion?

Edited by Stuart Lyon

kingantti1874

Hearts will not be entering into any significant debt ever again people.. No financial institution will provide any facility to an SPL club beyond a day to day overdraft facility with the exception of maybe Celtic. Whatever we do we will have to raise the cash to do it ourselves which is exactly how it should be.

kingantti1874

tynie.jpg

Wouldn't that just be incredible.. Hoping someone gifts us about ?100m out of the kindness of their hearts :(

Dave McCreery's knee

Looks like the next 12 months will focus on design, planning, funding and agreements to purchase land at McLeod St. I'd expect a direct replacement for main stand with better facilities and slightly increased capacity. There won't be commercial offices/gym/hotel. The rest of the stadium will be maintained and improved over time.

I'd also expect funding to involve Ann Budge and FOH in some way as traditional funding sources will be limited.

This may not seem ambitiius but is huge step forward and exactly how we should proceed in my opinion. None of the previous regimes schemes were remotely viable.

CJGJ

I like my house but if I could I would upgrade and move location rather than refurbish my current property......money allowing.

portobellojambo1

Behind the outside wall of the existing main stand we own nothing between there and McLeod Street.

Maroonblood22

tynie.jpg

That's pure filth...

:clumshot:

Apache Mal

Another problem with the main stand is its listed status. In order to do something with it we need to get approval from the Council and Historic Scotland.

A lot of hoops to jump through here. But like others have said more chance of success with Ann at the helm than Vlad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgiewave

since it's silly season... can we not just suspend a new stand directly over the pitch, with fans hanging upside down in rollercoaster type seats, getting a birdseye view of the match?

We could also expand capacity by making fans players. The closest you'll ever get to the action.

Chaps

I'm sure we own the building at back of the main stand as Romanov bought them around the time we were planning to build or are we just renting them?

Edited by Chaps

Swarlos

I'm sure we own the building at back of the main stand as Romanov bought them around the time we were planning to build or are we just renting them?

I thought we owned the old ticket office building and the club shop building.

That building is a dump anyway.

davemclaren

We don't own any of the buildings afaik.

portobellojambo1

We did, but not now, it was all sold by the previous owner as part of a package which included the old bank buildings off St Andrew Square.

Getintaethem

We did, but not now, it was all sold by the previous owner as part of a package which included the old bank buildings off St Andrew Square.

I'm very surprised at this as I would have thought it would have been common knowledge. I remember something about the Mercer family gifting the old ticket office to Hearts and some sort of agreement with the nursery in the Vlad era, but was unaware the land had been sold.

Would be interesting to know who owns it now.

Edited by Getintaethem

jambali

She very sensibly said we would look at all options. (and took into account views of many) but don't jump on the headline

Tasavallan

James Clydesdale. Don't remember what he said but the most obvious way of expansion is via a new main stand.

The 'new' stands were designed in such a way that they can be de-constructed and moved but I doubt they can be extended. Filling in the corners is a problem due to the lighting pylons, these would need to be removed and replaced.

The obvious expansion is a new Main Stand. This will be needed later if not sooner.

David McCaig

A new main stand is surely the only show in town re expansion on the current site.

The downside of course to this is the prohibitive cost v limited scope to increase capacity.

One of the arguments against moving is that we would somehow be playing in a clone of McDiarmid Park. Surely, the beauty of a new build is that you can choose any style you want - within financial reason of course.

For me my preference would obviously be to stay at a 23-25k Tynecastle. However, if it costs ?20m more to achieve this, than it would to move to Sighthill and build a great Stadium there - my preference would alter.

Jambof3tornado

I think a capacity increase to 20k to 22k would be sufficient but corporate facilities must improve.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

I like my house but if I could I would upgrade and move location rather than refurbish my current property......money allowing.

Even if the new house is a cheap flat pack in the middle of a field with little public transport access? Considering a new stadium is pointless unless we know the location and have a design to compare agsinst Tynecastle.

Refurbushing Tynecastle works for me and it sounds like Ann agrees. As she said fir a stadium that was declared not fit for purpose 10 years sgo its been amazingly fit for purpose.

Phage

Just knocked it down and build a new one. Dont answer Historic Scotla d or the councils calls.

Sorted!

Skacel88

Not ideal but.........if it's such a hassle to make the main stand bigger would it not be easier to make a replacement stand which may have a smaller capacity but is built in the original foot print and expand the Weitfield stand where there is plenty of room?

David McCaig

Not ideal but.........if it's such a hassle to make the main stand bigger would it not be easier to make a replacement stand which may have a smaller capacity but is built in the original foot print and expand the Weitfield stand where there is plenty of room?

Once you knock two stands down, you're almost as well knocking down all 4 and rotating the pitch.

It's clearly not impossible to stay at Tynecastle, but none of the options are cheap.

Anne Budge to her credit is exploring all options, so it's important as a support that we can keep an open mind to whatever the best solution is - even if it's not Tynecastle.

CJGJ

Even if the new house is a cheap flat pack in the middle of a field with little public transport access? Considering a new stadium is pointless unless we know the location and have a design to compare agsinst Tynecastle.

Refurbushing Tynecastle works for me and it sounds like Ann agrees. As she said fir a stadium that was declared not fit for purpose 10 years sgo its been amazingly fit for purpose.

Miss the word upgrade did you ?

Jambof3tornado

Forgetting planning and its historic value could you not build a new stand in the footprint of the old main stand thats as tall as the other 3 stands?

alanbauld

Forgetting planning and its historic value could you not build a new stand in the footprint of the old main stand thats as tall as the other 3 stands?

Wouldnt a new stand three stands in height blow down in the first gale ?

David McCaig

Yes - that would be the easiest and cheapest option. But only gives a negligible increase in capacity and wouldn't really meet the corporate needs of the club.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Miss the word upgrade did you ?

No I don't see a realistic upgrade on the horizon so what's the point of talking about it as if there is a choice? We will be in an out of town location with a budget stadium as that's all we can afford - unless we get a ground share or huge cash injection. Of course a proper football stadium with good transport links would be great - bit pie in the aky thiugh given its been talked about for decades.

Jambof3tornado

Great view from the top tier though!!!

TheMaganator

I'm very surprised at this as I would have thought it would have been common knowledge. I remember something about the Mercer family gifting the old ticket office to Hearts and some sort of agreement with the nursery in the Vlad era, but was unaware the land had been sold.

I can confirm that it's 100% true. Sold to a local property developer.

farin

No I don't see a realistic upgrade on the horizon so what's the point of talking about it as if there is a choice? We will be in an out of town location with a budget stadium as that's all we can afford - unless we get a ground share or huge cash injection. Of course a proper football stadium with good transport links would be great - bit pie in the aky thiugh given its been talked about for decades.

When we built the wheatfield it might have been better to turn that into the main stand given the room under & behind it to accommodate corporate facilities & office space etc. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though & we prob didn't have the cash to finance it from just the 500 club that i was a member of at the time. All seems so long ago now..

Like you prob i remember the straiton & gyle ideas that were put forward years ago. Wonder if A.B. prefers we do a Falkirk style move to the outskirts rather than the costs & planning permission hassles involved in upgrading the old main stand etc..

Guest Bilel Mohsni

When we built the wheatfield it might have been better to turn that into the main stand given the room under & behind it to accommodate corporate facilities & office space etc. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though & we prob didn't have the cash to finance it from just the 500 club that i was a member of at the time. All seems so long ago now..

Like you prob i remember the straiton & gyle ideas that were put forward years ago. Wonder if A.B. prefers we do a Falkirk style move to the outskirts rather than the costs & planning permission hassles involved in upgrading the old main stand etc..

According to the article, she prefers to develop Tynecastle.

redjambo

We could also expand capacity by making fans players. The closest you'll ever get to the action.

And also ballboys. I'm sure we could have a few hundred sitting around trackside if we cram then in well enough. And we'd always get the ball back in quickly.

Are there regulations as to the number of ballboys you can use, and their ages?

Ray Gin

Who's to say it'll be windy for heaven's sake? Vertical stands are good science at work.

And he's not praying

She's made it clear that after being in position for a year, remaining at Tynecastle is now her preference.

Any decision will be made with the clubs best interests at heart but the noises from her are positive and encouraging. 

David McCaig

When we built the Wheatfield, we literally didn't have a yard to spare!! It's the reason why the stand is so phenomenally steep.

What is now the back football pitch was a giant warehouse in the 90s.

farin

She's made it clear that after being in position for a year, remaining at Tynecastle is now her preference.

Any decision will be made with the clubs best interests at heart but the noises from her are positive and encouraging.

Cheers [emoji106]

When we built the Wheatfield, we literally didn't have a yard to spare!! It's the reason why the stand is so phenomenally steep.

What is now the back football pitch was a giant warehouse in the 90s.

Forgot about that. [emoji106]

skinnybob72

We could make an offer for Hibs main stand and move it brick by brick to Tynecastle replacing the green seats with maroon ones. We could maybe chuck in a couple of portacabins and deckchairs as a replacement which would be adequate for Hibs needs.

upgotheheads

The 'new' stands were designed in such a way that they can be de-constructed and moved but I doubt they can be extended. Filling in the corners is a problem due to the lighting pylons, these would need to be removed and replaced.

The obvious expansion is a new Main Stand. This will be needed later if not sooner.

They're not lighting pylons, they support the three new stands, they just happen to have the lights on them.

Winston Ingram

Seconded. Romanov bought the ticket office from Mercer and it was sold off as per St Andrews Square when Ubig went bust. Can't imagine it would be much of a problem to sort this out but the club don't own the building. An Edinburgh property developer does. 

As far as I'm aware the only listed element of the main stand is the tiled floor upon entrance but I may be wrong. 

What this thread is highlighting, rightly, is the new owners will encounter the same "challenges" that others have done. Primarily cost, also space availability/infrastructure. There can't be any parking, for example (mind you, nor has the redeveloped Easter Road). No viable alternative site was ever found, and alternative sites can't be ruled out because of a new stand costs X and stadium X+ not much then it's a serious debating point. Just because things are going well just now, there isn't a magic wand to build a new ground. 

Getintaethem

Who probably bought it knowing he could hold the club to ransom in the future.

luckyBatistuta

Seconded. Romanov bought the ticket office from Mercer and it was sold off as per St Andrews Square when Ubig went bust. Can't imagine it would be much of a problem to sort this out but the club don't own the building. An Edinburgh property developer does. 

As far as I'm aware the only listed element of the main stand is the tiled floor upon entrance but I may be wrong. 

What this thread is highlighting, rightly, is the new owners will encounter the same "challenges" that others have done. Primarily cost, also space availability/infrastructure. There can't be any parking, for example (mind you, nor has the redeveloped Easter Road). No viable alternative site was ever found, and alternative sites can't be ruled out because of a new stand costs X and stadium X+ not much then it's a serious debating point. Just because things are going well just now, there isn't a magic wand to build a new ground.

Could be a problem acquiring the property depending on their allegiances Lets hope Kevin Moffat didn't buy it.

Swarlos

If the new stands are designed to be rebuildable we could demolish the main and move the wheatfield across.

Don't know if that would even help the situation :lol:

Winston Ingram

Who probably bought it knowing he could hold the club to ransom in the future.

Don't think that's right to be fair. Was more the buildings were sold off in bulk as that was more straightforward.