We've Just Won a Drab Championship! Herald Article

colinmaroon

colinmaroon

Here's the link and my comments  in the "Comments" below.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/play-off-outcome-too-close-to-call-as-hibs-queen-of-the-south-and-rangers-vie-for-sup.125076035?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

THE SPFL Championship promised much last summer when Hibs were relegated after losing to Hamilton Academical on penalties in the first ever Premiership Play-Off final.  

Having Hearts, Hibs and Rangers - three of the five biggest clubs in Scotland - in the second tier slugging it out for promotion was an enticing prospect.

Many fans and pundits claimed it would be a superior league to the top flight where Celtic would, it was also widely anticipated, stroll to victory unchallenged.  Neither of those predictions, however, proved accurate.  Hearts romped to the Championship without being troubled by either their Edinburgh or Glasgow rivals. They only suffered three defeats in 36 games.

Celtic, meanwhile, needed to, regardless of what Kris Commons claimed last week, withstand a spirited challenge from Aberdeen to prevail.  Yet, the Premiership Play-Offs this month promise to make amends, and then some, for whatever drama and excitement a league that became a decidedly drab and one-sided affair lacked.

My "Comment

Sorry Hearts scoring 96 goals made the Championship "drab".

Great performances from QoS in the "big" games also.

Typical MSM Two Cheeks view of the season.

There were some excellent games and real drama in the Championship and the fight for the play off places has been more exciting than the race for 2nd in the Premiership.

So swallow the bitter pill Matthew, just because Blue Cheek struggled does not make it a "drab" Championship.

Cut The Crap

It was exciting until Christmas but thereafter just a procession.

I loved every minute of it, but I can understand why neutrals and fans of the other teams would have found drab.

Victorian

He's right in a way. Great for us but possibly drab for the neutral. It was built up as a 3 way contest that could be very close but turned out very differently.

Hearts have the other teams a lesson on and off the park all season long. To label it drab smacks of weegie media bitterness, in a word our campaign was glorious.

BRAVEHEART1874

Sounds like a dig at sevco more than anything else if it wasn't for us ally would still be in charge that's how stupid they are ;)

Unknown user

I'm not taking it personally, as someone says above it's to our credit.

For Hearts fans it's been awesome but from a neutral point of view you want to see competition, thrills and spills, not an early title won at a canter

john brownlee

It's only drab because his team didn't romp it, but of course he now thinks the playoffs with be exciting, again only if his team wins.......hahahaha laugh at them all, most excited I've been in years anything but drab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yep I like the Herald but this is bitter weegie drivel

the League was one with zest and panache and to label it 'drab' is absurd

was the 9-3 European cup final ever called 'drab'?

Getintaethem

I get the distinct impression the article is praising Hearts and the championship was "drab" because the others failed to match our very, high standards. Some people are offended very easily.

Australis

21 points ahead of the team in 2nd place.

It really was over by Christmas and thats why others think it was drab.

As for a three horse race, one pulled up and the other was watching us riding over the hill and into the sunset.

Dr. Bapswent

Hibs and Rangers fighting it out for second position and it going to the wire.

So boring.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not half as drab as the SPL when the arse cheeks were running away with it in 99% of time.

Its been drab. That's not our fault, but it's not an unfair description for a competition that was over before new year's day.

TBF hibs and the rangers only really started playing once we had won the title... that's when their season really began... only now are they heading away from 'drab' and towards nail biting tension for this season finale.

Typical Hearts we always ****** it up for others.

What a load of crap.

I mean, saying Hibs are one of the top five teams in the country???

I think folk were expecting a 3 horse title race going into the final game.

Budge was having none of it :jjyay:

CollyWolly

In terms of it being a proper contest I suppose it was drab. It was apparent we were going to stroll it by mid October and it was in the bag by late November when we disposed of the last possible challenger. I don't think the author is criticising us in anyway. They just expected a contest and it never really happened because frankly, the opposition weren't in our class.

As for Celtic having to fight for the title and that being a good scrap and a close run thing, did anyone ever actually doubt at any stage that they would win it ? Aberdeen flattered a bit for a while it gave the impression of being a contest, but they were never in any danger of winning it.

The really exciting part of the championship season is just about to unfold and thank **** we're not a part of it.

If Rangers had pished the league like most people were hoping/expecting then it wouldn't have been branded 'drab'.

chester copperpot

Cheating our way to drabness.

I can see the headlines now!

Buffalo Bill

Eammon Bannon praising Darren MacGregor for being "outstanding" against Hearts. Is he forgetting his comedy clearance which led to our first goal or being totally out-muscled for our second?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Did The Herald sponsor the Helicopter for it's supposed triumphant landing on the last day with a trophy bedecked in red white and blue ribbons I wonder!!

frank skinner

Hearts only lost the one game when it mattered.

Spin on that clown.

He has a point - that 0-0 draw at Dumbarton ruined it for me.

Eammon Bannon praising Darren MacGregor for being "outstanding" against Hearts. Is he forgetting his comedy clearance which led to our first goal or being totally out-muscled for our second?

It's a strange one. McGregor was outstanding for 80 minutes, and then was shown up at two points which lead to our goals.

I don't know that the two are necessarily exclusive, but the best performance over the course of the game, for me, was from McGregor.

Craig Herbertson

I've  found thirty years watching Celtic or Rangers win the league a bit more drab .

We_are_the_Hearts

Here's the link and my comments  in the "Comments" below.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/play-off-outcome-too-close-to-call-as-hibs-queen-of-the-south-and-rangers-vie-for-sup.125076035?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

THE SPFL Championship promised much last summer when Hibs were relegated after losing to Hamilton Academical on penalties in the first ever Premiership Play-Off final.  

Having Hearts, Hibs and Rangers - three of the five biggest clubs in Scotland - in the second tier slugging it out for promotion was an enticing prospect.

Many fans and pundits claimed it would be a superior league to the top flight where Celtic would, it was also widely anticipated, stroll to victory unchallenged.  Neither of those predictions, however, proved accurate.  Hearts romped to the Championship without being troubled by either their Edinburgh or Glasgow rivals. They only suffered three defeats in 36 games.

Celtic, meanwhile, needed to, regardless of what Kris Commons claimed last week, withstand a spirited challenge from Aberdeen to prevail.  Yet, the Premiership Play-Offs this month promise to make amends, and then some, for whatever drama and excitement a league that became a decidedly drab and one-sided affair lacked.

My "Comment

Sorry Hearts scoring 96 goals made the Championship "drab".

Great performances from QoS in the "big" games also.

Typical MSM Two Cheeks view of the season.

There were some excellent games and real drama in the Championship and the fight for the play off places has been more exciting than the race for 2nd in the Premiership.

So swallow the bitter pill Matthew, just because Blue Cheek struggled does not make it a "drab" Championship.

This is exactly what Ann Budge was talking about and media focussing on the negatives. Arseholes to a man

Sooperstar

Nothing to get upset about. For the neutral he is right. Look at the Premiership, all wrapped up with several games left and was done with no real challenge a long way out. I'd say that's pretty boring...drab.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Since 22 March I've been bored. The play off places have been sewn up for a long time, so yes the league was drab, except for the relegation battle. It's not a dig at Hearts though, thicker skin needed

zoltan socrates

It was only 'drab' because beyond November the westablishment had no stake in it

Licking their wounds, sad desperate glory hunters one and all

Cmon the queens!

It's a strange one. McGregor was outstanding for 80 minutes, and then was shown up at two points which lead to our goals.

I don't know that the two are necessarily exclusive, but the best performance over the course of the game, for me, was from McGregor.

He had to play alongside Elbows, for the last 10 mins.

He was indeed, Sow had a torrid afternoon up against him, feck only knows what he was doing with that 'clearance' though.

4marsbars

Astonishing even by the standards of West-coast media.

Before the season started, all the pundits were backing Hearts to win the league at a canter and it was really boring when everything unfolded exactly as predicted.

Mikey1874

yes

best guess is the Lee McCulloch change messed his head and position

Don't think drab is the right word.

Going in to the last game of the season - 2nd place was still undecided and all to play for.

Look beyond the 'glamour' ties and realise that on the last day..... Livingston beat the 4th best team in the league which lifted them from rock bottom and looking relegation in the face to escaping even the playoff place.

Also realise that on the last day Alloa picked up 3 points which meant they avoided relegation, put Cowdenbeath in to the relegation spot and gave themselves a lifeline to remain in the championship.

What a thoroughly 'drab' final day right enough............

yes

best guess is the Lee McCulloch change messed his head and position

Certainly for the second goal, it's just impossible to shove zeefuik off the ball.

It's one thing dealing with high balls to sow - who is humpty in the air - it's another dealing with high balls to sow, zeefuik and paterson. I'd also say that the keeper was prbably just as at fault for the first goal as his footwork made changing direction was unlikely.

Auld Reekin'

If Rangers had pished the league like most people were hoping/expecting then it wouldn't have been branded 'drab'.

:indeed:

Generic Username

I think it's been a great season of Scottish football.

Aberdeen running Celtic close in the race for the title (we've all seen OF teams run away with 20 point leads before)

Hamilton's excellent start to life in the top flight under Alex Neil

Dundee coming up and making the top 6

The relegation fight in the top league going right to the wire

A non Old Firm Scottish Cup final to look forward to

Hearts romping the Championship

The fight for second place between Hibs and Rangers going to the final day

The play off's still to come

Livingston's last day survival job

Morton getting promoted on the last day

To just look at the achievements of ourselves and not acknowledge what else has gone on in our league is pretty stupid.

More of the same next season please.

This is exactly what Ann Budge was talking about and media focussing on the negatives. Arseholes to a man

And woman you forgot Moira Gordon etc.

The author shouldn't have used "drab" as an adjective.

What he wanted to say , but didn't have the balls is , there was no challenge to Hearts (but I'm assuming he didn't want to upset the Bears). I wonder how drab the smaller clubs found it - very competitive (in many of the games) much bigger attendances and goals galore. What more do you want ?

Bazzas right boot

He's right.

If the league is won by that much of a distance it is drab, Chelsea, Bayern also being examples.

If think the article hints that the general feeling was that the league would be allot tighter, possibly with a decider on the last day, we were too good for all that nonesense, so yes it was drab.

Relegation provided the only drama as generally the top 4 has been sorted for a while.

Mikey1874

Its never drab when you win until its predictable - see Celtic's real crowds now or later in their 9 in a row.

But agree, media would have been all over a dominant Rangers loving their return to their rightful place.

Might be different next season if Stubbs stays the course at Hibs but I see Rangers walking the Championship next season as well if they don't go up this time.

Archived