Rix gets a job!

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

Delight for ex-Hearts boss Rix as Hoddle hands him dream job

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Delight-for-exHearts-boss-Rix.4121693.jp

Date: 27 May 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

WHILST Hearts busy themselves trying to recruit a new manager, one of their old ones has finally returned to work. Graham Rix is back in football for the first time since leaving Tynecastle two years ago, and his joy is uncontainable.

"I'm delighted, really chuffed to bits," he says in that distinctive brogue, a mix of Yorkshire and Cockney. "Although not as much as me missus 'cos she's finally gettin' rid of me now."

Glenn Hoddle, a buddy since their Chelsea days, has appointed Rix as one of three full-time coaches to run his purpose-built football academy in southern Spain. Without a job since Vladimir Romanov cut short his four-month spell at Tynecastle in March 2006, Rix is entitled to feel he's come up smelling of gazanias as a key figure in an innovative project.

He gives it that throaty chuckle. "I'm so happy, honestly. It's a great job to have. I've got a little twinkle in my eye again and I'm buzzin'."

The Glenn Hoddle Academy, based in the Spanish resort of Monticastillo near Jerez, is a new concept designed to offer teenagers discarded by professional clubs a second chance in football. Rix, along with Hans Segers, the former Wimbledon goalkeeper, and another ex-Chelsea employee, Nigel Spackman, will run the campus in conjunction with Leeds Metropolitan University, offering an intense course in football skills and general education.

Rix knows his well-documented criminal history means his CV is almost instantly filed in the recycle basket at any club he submits it to. Therefore this opportunity is a godsend.

"Glenn's been working on this for the last two or three years and the place is just fantastic," he said. "It's one of those golf and country club sort of places but exclusively for football. The pitches are great. I admire Glenn for doing this because he doesn't have to. He's had to raise an absolute fortune to get this off the ground.

"I've known him for years and I knew about this idea. In a way I was hoping (to get involved], but I'd never have asked him. A while back he had meetings with Terry Byrne, who helps run David Beckham's academies. I know Terry very well and he said to Glenn: 'I know who'd be perfect for this job ? Rico'. Glenn said he'd already been thinking about giving me a call and when he did and explained the concept to me I was instantly interested. Who wouldn't be?

"Since Hearts I've had nothing, I just watched loads of football matches. I've applied for lots of jobs but without any luck. Obviously I had quite a battle with Hearts to get what I was owed and I've started writing my book which should be out in August. Apart from that, nowt. I've gone from a handicap of 16 down to 12."

In fact, the Evening News caught up with Rix as he sauntered off a golf course near his Hampshire home. He explained his and Hoddle's views on rejuvenating dejected teenagers who have been freed.

"A lot of kids get released for differing reasons. A 17-year-old might get released because there's a 15-year-old waiting in the wings who looks better than him. Maybe the 17-year-old kid hasn't quite developed physically and isn't chapping on the first-team door so they let him go.

"Glenn wants to give those sorts of kids a chance and time to develop physically, technically and mentally. The boys will be out in Spain for anything up to two-and-a-half years and it doesn't cost them a penny. It's a great opportunity for them. Glenn is prepared to give them 30 months maximum. It's their last chance, really. At 18, a lot of them drift out the game because being freed is such a kick in the teeth for them. They can go off the rails but if we see potential in boys we'll give them another chance.

"Of all the coaching jobs I've had, and there have been some phenomenal jobs, the best time I've ever had was when I was Chelsea youth team coach. I absolutely loved it. The kids would come in every day, eager, enthusiastic, no egos, just wanted to learn. I reckon it'll be similar working with the kids over in Spain. We're not going to be judged every Saturday either. It's not win or lose, are you facing the sack, will you still have your job on Monday? These boys will go over there to get better. It will probably work out that I have three weeks in the UK scouting for the academy and then six in Spain. Living away from home will be the tough bit but my wife, Linda, can come and visit me out there. It's not a bad place to spend some time, you know."

Initial trials to identify pupils for Hoddle's first intake were held on Saturday at Chelsea's Cobham training ground. "We can handle 60 players and we've had about 150 apply for it, most of them after being released," continued Rix. "The theory is that, after a certain period of time, we will invite clubs to come to Spain and play a tournament. We'd have a team in that tournament so the clubs could see our boys, and then we'd hope to place them back into football."

If Hoddle's project provides an unexpected second chance for deflated youngsters, imagine how Rix feels.

Commander Harris
Apart from that, nowt. I've gone from a handicap of 16 down to 12.

all that time off and he's still in double figures :nono:

:D

Dr. Bapswent

A second chance for deflated youngsters....

hmmm

Im sure he can pump some life into them..

I felt a bit sorry for Rix when he was at Hearts....he was a true hero

I actually ended up liking him, he seemed a nice guy

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

His main role at the academy is to groom the kids.

No disabled kids allowed though (Hoddles orders)

marshallschunkychicken

Just read through this whole thread, and now there's carrot and coriander soup all over my screen, my desk, etc.

:rolleyes:

I thought his handicap was 15....

Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, not as if he was stalking the net and cyber grooming kids like on that Panorama programme.

"A lot of kids get released for differing reasons. A 17-year-old might get released because there's a 15-year-old waiting in the wings who looks better than him.

Make your own jokes....

Legend Claws

What a shockingly written article, it's like Anderson wants to pump him and his 'throaty chuckle'.

How do these guys get (fairly) good jobs in journalism?!?

His main role at the academy is to groom the kids.

No disabled kids allowed though (Hoddles orders)

Wont Rix be disabled in his next life.... if Hoddies right?!?!?!

I P Knightley
Just read through this whole thread, and now there's carrot and coriander soup all over my screen, my desk, etc.

:rolleyes:

I thought his handicap was 15....

I know I shouldn't be laughing at this...

I do feel sorry for Rixxy though. He's made a mistake - a bit of a howler, being honest - but this should not get in the way of the fact that he has a reputation as an excellent coach. Maybe not a top "manager" as such but I have a mate went through FA coaching course at the same time as Rixxy and tells me that he was head and shoulders above the others there.

When you consider the mistakes made by and second chances given to so many other people both in football (e.g. Terry, Ferdinand, Gascoigne) and elsewhere (e.g. Mandelson and Blunkett in politics), it seems bad luck that Rixxy's done the time and seems to have no future in club football.

For his sake and also for those teenagers, I hope he makes a decent fist of it.

I know I shouldn't be laughing at this...

I do feel sorry for Rixxy though. He's made a mistake - a bit of a howler, being honest - but this should not get in the way of the fact that he has a reputation as an excellent coach. Maybe not a top "manager" as such but I have a mate went through FA coaching course at the same time as Rixxy and tells me that he was head and shoulders above the others there.

When you consider the mistakes made by and second chances given to so many other people both in football (e.g. Terry, Ferdinand, Gascoigne) and elsewhere (e.g. Mandelson and Blunkett in politics), it seems bad luck that Rixxy's done the time and seems to have no future in club football.

Not sure I understand the concept of this academy. For 2 1/2 years these 'lads' get bible bashed, faith healed and trained and then they go back to UK football clubs? Is Hoddle going to 'sell' them out of the academy? If not then who pays for their 2 1/2 years of sessions with Eileen?

Anyway, as for old Rixxy good for him. I think he was the best manager we've had since Burley.

*snigger*

Phnaar phnaar...:rolleyes:

I'm glad he is back working

Seemed a decent bloke and does not deserve to be made unemployable

best of luck to you Rixy!

I P Knightley
Not sure I understand the concept of this academy. For 2 1/2 years these 'lads' get bible bashed, faith healed and trained and then they go back to UK football clubs? Is Hoddle going to 'sell' them out of the academy? If not then who pays for their 2 1/2 years of sessions with Eileen?

Anyway, as for old Rixxy good for him. I think he was the best manager we've had since Burley.

I've no idea about the small print but I guess that someone who's not quite made the grade at, say, West Ham would appreciate the opportunity of a second chance, even if it is to drop a couple of divisions. From what I know, the majority of these guys are simply shown the door having neglected any formal schooling from the age of about 10 with the stars in their and their families' eyes.

I'd suspect that there has to be some return available to the academy when they nurture and pass on a good 'un. The fact that the University are involved may point towards some funding, perhaps on vocational qualifications grounds - just me trying to guess.

Although Hoddle is a recognised mentalist, I don't believe that he'd try to run this academy based purely on his religious beliefs. I was speaking to a guy the other week who played a round of golf with Hoddle and said that he was just a normal bloke with a pretty decent swing. No mention of praying while lining up his putts or invoking the almighty to induce a slight draw round the fairway bunkers.

Ray Winstone

That article couldnt have any more beast jokes in it if it tried.

Jam Tarts 1874

Fair play to Rix. He might have still been at Hearts if certain players had just got on with playing football instead of playing politics.

rudi must stay
Fair play to Rix. He might have still been at Hearts if certain players had just got on with playing football instead of playing politics.

don't agree, the minute he left we started playing good football again, under Valdas. So i don't think it was down to the politics it was down to him being a poor manager, like his track record suggests. Good luck to him though

John Findlay
don't agree, the minute he left we started playing good football again, under Valdas. So i don't think it was down to the politics it was down to him being a poor manager, like his track record suggests. Good luck to him though

Funnily enough our largest victory in season 2005-2006 was 5-0 against Falkirk. Rix was the man in the dugout that day.

Rix is a highly regarded coach in footballing circles. Especially down south.

My reluctance with him is that he follows the philosophy of his mentor Don Howe all to readily.

John

rudi must stay
Funnily enough our largest victory in season 2005-2006 was 5-0 against Falkirk. Rix was the man in the dugout that day.

Rix is a highly regarded coach in footballing circles. Especially down south.

My reluctance with him is that he follows the philosophy of his mentor Don Howe all to readily.

John

if he's highly regarded how come he hasn't got a job in 2 and a bit years?

John Findlay

Due to his criminal record. English clubs more reluctant to appoint him than we were.

Working with Vlad was nothing new for him. He had worked for Milan Mandaric at Portsmouth. Milan Mandaric makes Romanov in footballing terms appear sane.

John

I P Knightley

A few reasons:

The press would give any club signing him a bucket load of grief because of his past misdemeanours.

The top clubs can attract international big names with all the money they've got. None would want to go for 'damaged goods'.

For financial reasons, clubs in the lower leagues want a manager who can coach whereas Rix's strengths lie in coaching not management.

rudi must stay
A few reasons:

The press would give any club signing him a bucket load of grief because of his past misdemeanours.

The top clubs can attract international big names with all the money they've got. None would want to go for 'damaged goods'.

For financial reasons, clubs in the lower leagues want a manager who can coach whereas Rix's strengths lie in coaching not management.

they could bring him in as a coach then... Nah the reason the hasn't got a job for so long IMO is his track record, which is dreadful. If he was that great a manager and was that repsected teams would take a risk, but they haven't

Archived