Hearts have 2 choices.

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

Now that McGhee seems to have closed the door.

Hearts can do 2 things.

Either revert back to an unknown quantity as manager. Someone we have never heard off. Someone with no proven track record.

This would be a straightforward option as right now, we dont have anyone in place, and clearly need someone to take the helm, even as a token gesture.

Or, we step up to the next level, above McGhee, push the boat out and get someone of real quality who can do the job, at an increased price.

We dont have the man we wanted, we either get the next one in line behind him, or the one above him.

Its time to choose, weve been dissapointed, so do we take a baragain option as a result, or do we push our budget to go over and above what we were expecting?

Clearly I think we want to step up. i just hope Vlad thinks so too.

Id liek to theink the McGhee appointment was a sign that Vlad was coming round to the fans way of thinking. I hope this is not ruined.

Of course, the other alternative, with us having no manager at the 11th hour, is that maybe, finally, Vlad himself will don the Maroon tracksuit and get in the dugout......

....I dont hear anyone laughing....

Buffalo Bill

Billy Davies would ease the pain of rejection for me.

Buffalo Bill

Hearts can do 2 things.

Either revert back to an unknown quantity as manager. Someone we have never heard off. Someone with no proven track record.

This would be a straightforward option as right now, we dont have anyone in place, and clearly need someone to take the helm, even as a token gesture.

Or, we step up to the next level, above McGhee, push the boat out and get someone of real quality who can do the job, at an increased price.

Agreed. Who should we go for - Wenger?

JJ & Gary Locke

Billy Davies

I would happily accept those 2 before any of the 2 options you quote

Dr B....agreed.

My main concern is....

Now that McGhee has said "no" then we HAVE to up the anti...in that I mean, for example and say for the sake of argument, we go for someone on the same level playing field as McGhee, would they come based on THEY were not first choice and given Vlads penchance for sackings, they probably think they had a better chance of being hoofed?

Secondly, Vlad may be more than irked, feulling his "view" of Western managers and think "Well, I tried to get this Man, he's pi$$ed me about, I knew not to trust Western Mangers, I'll bring in someone else I trust"

Another face-less YES man from Eastern Europe?

Davies would work for me, out of a job so no compo needed and looking to get back into the game.

Somebody soon though so we can prepare for next season sufficiently.

Hearts can do 2 things.

We dont have the man we wanted, we either get the next one in line behind him, or the one above him.

Its time to choose, weve been dissapointed, so do we take a baragain option as a result, or do we push our budget to go over and above what we were expecting?

Id liek to theink the McGhee appointment was a sign that Vlad was coming round to the fans way of thinking. I hope this is not ruined.

Of course, the other alternative, with us having no manager at the 11th hour, is that maybe, finally, Vlad himself will don the Maroon tracksuit and get in the dugout......

I think the Dr has called it right - Vlad does have 2 choices, and I'd imagine right now he will be mightilly hacked off at what has happened. I'd hope he'd now be out to prove a point, and the way to do it is to appoint a higher calibre manager, resource him and his plans, and sit back and enjoy the success that will follow.

That would be, in my opinion, the best way of getting it right up MM, and all others who take joy in putting us down at every opportunity. Imagine a successful Hearts team - It would be a bit like Bullseye for MM - "Here's what you could have won" - and instead you're in a s.h.itty wee town with a s.h.i.tty wee team of no marks!

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I reckon if we opt for an unknown foreigner we are finished as a force in Scotland.

Big few weeks this is going to be for Hearts ...

Hilary Briss
Davies would work for me, out of a job so no compo needed and looking to get back into the game.

Somebody soon though so we can prepare for next season sufficiently.

I agree, seems the logical option.

I just hope Hearts have a plan B or C and have maybe sounded out other candidates already.

not me, that'd be like kicking me when I'm down. Lost out on McGhee so well get that T*sser Davies, no thanks. Hate that man.

There are far more than 2 choices.

The 2 choices in the OP are personified by 1) Alex Ferguson or 2) Ivanauskas.

There are obviously far more choices than those eg

1) a manager from a decent team in a decent European league

2) a manager who is making their way up the leagues in England

3) any of the likes of Hughes, Jefferies, Levein, McPherson who could do an SPL level job for us

4) a Mowbray type appointment of someone who is looking to move out of playing/coaching and into management

etc etc

It will now be interesting to see if Hearts had anyone else on the short leet other than McGhee.

Hopefully he is suitably embarrassed that Motherwell have been a more tempting football club for less money than Hearts and he realises he needs to restore some dignity to the club and make it a place where good and respected football people want to come to work.

Hopefully it hits him square between the eyes how much he has reduced Hearts standing in the football world

Hopefully having been sold on the idea of a proper manager in respect of McGhee he doesnt have to be resold the same idea due to him being in a huff over being rejected.

colinmaroon

I do not believe for one minute that CO and VR had just one name on their list!!!

They clearly wanted MM - but that is now history - and I would, quite frankly, be amazed if there is not a Plan B!!!

Short of the usual wild guesses by the media, and "leaks" which sadly seem so prevalent today, I would also expect this to be done "out of sight" - -

and so also, I suppose, we can expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the meantime!!!

Walter Bishop

Hearts can do 2 things.

:4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::4_1_72::emoticon_spam:

japanjambo
George Burley seems a bit ****ed off with Scotland.

My very thoughts! LOL! (After reading the article about withdrawals from the Scotland squad) I'd have George back in a minute! I mean, Vlad did try and persuade him to return, AFTER he'd sacked him...you never know with Vlad...

Lynn:ninja:

Seems to me that the 2 choices are either JJ or BD.

It seems very likely that these are the only two Scottish options, in fact British options.

With Frail gone, Davies would be able to bring his own staff with him. This is obviously important for him because that was seemingly why he ruled himself out of the running for the Scotland job. The biggest problem with Davies is his ego and the fact that he'd probably leave at the first opportunity.

As for Jefferies, you know what you are going to get. A safe pair of hands and someone who is desperate for the club to do well. Most importantly he'd be desperate to come back.

Personally I think we should go for JJ and bring with him a few people who care about the club. Whether that's Locke, Robbo, Elvis or whoever, we need some passion and a determination to put us up there again.

cosanostra

JJ, Lockie and Elvis does sound pretty good to me as well.

I'd be happy with BD as well though. He is also currently unemployed so there would be no compensation or complexities to his possible employement. I just hope they make a decision and then get down to making it happen quickly.

Vlad will be hurting(tasting some of his own medicine,me thinks)he will go with one off his trusted leutenants in his pyramid off doom.

I still find it funny when I hear Vlad or one of his muppets bang on about trust,FFS you can't trust him as far as you could kick him.

George Burley seems a bit ****ed off with Scotland.

I can just see the tabloid press reaction if this was to come about.

How could any self respecting Scotsman turn his back on the national side to take over a league team. There would be all sorts condemnation of him and his and Vlads actions.

The current Rangers and Birmingham managers being the first 2 to condemn this action as an act of treason and GB being a traitor to his nation etc. etc.:sad:

For me it had to be JJ. Not beacause I think he is the best man for the job but beacause I think he is the only person with a knowledge of Scottish football that would come at this moment in time. I also think he is probably at about the same level as MM.

http://scotsport.podbean.com

winston churchill

Buffalo Bill

agreed,he has also managed in the EPL.

Dr. Bapswent

It wont be Burley. Thats almost certain.

Vlad wont even consider it.

I just hope he has BD and JJ on his radar, in that order.

Jambof3tornado

Surely the fact that BD is currently out of work speaks volumes about the quality of the man. I am afraid we need to set our sights higher if we really want to get back to the 3rd place pushing the old firm type seasons.JJ or CL would be accepted but only because we have had to suffer Frail for a while.

Vlad has to get this right because I am sure that season ticket sales must be down and that wont bode well with the man.

John Collins for me.:wacko:(or maybe Joan;)!!!)

cosanostra
It wont be Burley. Thats almost certain.

Vlad wont even consider it.

I just hope he has BD and JJ on his radar, in that order.

I'd agree with those 2 choices and in that order.

jamboinglasgow
There are far more than 2 choices.

The 2 choices in the OP are personified by 1) Alex Ferguson or 2) Ivanauskas.

There are obviously far more choices than those eg

1) a manager from a decent team in a decent European league

2) a manager who is making their way up the leagues in England

3) any of the likes of Hughes, Jefferies, Levein, McPherson who could do an SPL level job for us

4) a Mowbray type appointment of someone who is looking to move out of playing/coaching and into management

etc etc

It will now be interesting to see if Hearts had anyone else on the short leet other than McGhee.

I agree with any one of those four options (except on number 3 I would not tak big Gus.)

For me I would love a manager like Mowbray, he had a great attitude and style. Think that kind of manager would take hearts onto a better level.

I would be amazed if hearts did not have other managers that they have sounded out, Romanov may be crazy at times but he will know that you dont always get your first choice so I am sure he will have a few others that are of a similar style or quality to McGhee.

TimeBandit

I think the only possible way things are going to go is this..

Vlad hums and haws in order to make it look as though he's trying to pick the right man..

In some sly, underhanded coded fashion blames MM for lack of vision and scuppering the deal etc.. (This will probly involve an attack on refs, the old firm, the media and something about monkeys..)

All thorugh close season, pre season he will make it look like he's looking however the plane ticket is already in the desk drawer of the Former Spetznaz Operative he is drawing up a list of killer death exercises to make the players do.. thereby injuring them and giving vlad a reason to bring in more eastern bloc sheeite to make a squad for the next season..

If someone has a sniff of loking good then they will be sold, benefiting the parent team, ukio bankas and vlad but leaving hearts languishing.

I don't think he has any intention of actually getting aproper manager and then giving him the freedom needed to do the job.

Not strictly on topic here, but people have been talking about "the shortlist" and how we "surely must have a plan B" on a few threads.

Come on to ****. How difficult can it be and how long can it take to identify the best candidates for the job?

Guest JamboRobbo
Not strictly on topic here, but people have been talking about "the shortlist" and how we "surely must have a plan B" on a few threads.

Come on to ****. How difficult can it be and how long can it take to identify the best candidates for the job?

As in, we should have others we've spoken to to sound out their interest etc, and now that plan A has fallen through, it shouldn't take long to implement

plan B, and it that falls through, plan C.

My point is, we shouldn't be going "oh ****, McGhee ain't coming - what are we going to do now?".

We've had 5 months to be sorting out what we're gonna do now......

As in, we should have others we've spoken to to sound out their interest etc, and now that plan A has fallen through, it shouldn't take long to implement

plan B, and it that falls through, plan C.

My point is, we shouldn't be going "oh ****, McGhee ain't coming - what are we going to do now?".

I doubt very much if it's normal practice to speak to other candidates and ask them how interested they are "in case McGhee turns us down".

I obviously agree with you that we shouldn't be ****ed now because McGhee turns us down - I was just making the point that the lack of a "shortlist" wouldn't even in itself be an excuse for not appointing a manager, when normal teams can do it in a couple of weeks.

Thunderstruck

We have, by all accounts, just endured one of the worst seasons in recent history and yet we are only 3 or 4 wins off 3rd place. This without having a manager (in the traditional sense) and with a makeshift bunch of "no-hopers" and "wage theives".

If this is what can be done with little or no effort, what could be done with a semi-competent manager/coach of the type that abound in the lower leagues in England? Someone who would probably walk over hot coals to get a job that would pay ?350K.

The answer is out there and maybe McGhee's staying at the Fir Park Bog will be a good thing in retrospect.

Who had touted Burley before he arrived? Very few, if memory serves.

Even if they have not already sounded out a 2nd or 3rd option any sensible and effective regime would have in their own minds a plan for this eventuality and pretty much immediately start to act on it. If they don't they are incompetent which is of course the worry in this case.

Guest JamboRobbo
I doubt very much if it's normal practice to speak to other candidates and ask them how interested they are "in case McGhee turns us down".

Well I expect we sounded out other candidates at least.

I obviously agree with you that we shouldn't be ****ed now because McGhee turns us down - I was just making the point that the lack of a "shortlist" wouldn't even in itself be an excuse for not appointing a manager, when normal teams can do it in a couple of weeks.

Agree entirely with your point.

I just think we've had 5 months, we should have plans b through to z........this failure to land McGhee should not be an excuse for Vlad to appoint a puppet and prolong his interference further.....

kissthebadge

Although we are always criticising the club for not keeping the fans in the loop /posting on the official website etc, I can’t help but feel by doing so this time, we’ve scuppered any slim chance we had of getting any of the other candidates on the ‘shortlist’.

We can no longer deny McGhee was our No.1 choice. Even if he had come out with the same quotes about our offer, we could deny them and state that no formal offer had been made. That option has now gone and the club must now try to convince someone else they are right for the job.

To me it seems as though the official website statement about approaching Motherwell was merely a crowd-pleaser.

Archived